Thinking outside the box on Ducasse

Lupz27

Just a thought here and after everything that transpired at this years draft with the Faneca and Washington moves, not to mention Rhodes, and TJ.

The Jets were rumored to be taking him at 29 but when Kyle Wilson fell in their lap they couldnt pass. So here is my outside the box idea the Jets might be thinking. If they rated him high enough at 29 they might grade him out as a future LT and if this is the case they might have a plan of letting D'Brick walking at the end of the year sliding Ducasse into the left tackle spot, Slausson into the LG spot and draft a RT to replace Woody for when he leaves. This would free up enough cap space to sign Holmes, Edwards, Revis, Mangold, Cromartie, and Harris. Of course this would all depend on Ducasse's progress in 2010, but I really would not be shocked if this isnt in the back of the Jets mind right now, also remember D'Brick isnt the best run blocker to say the least and that might not fit Rex Ryan's mold and could make him expendable if Ducasse progresses the way the Jets think he will with them being that high on him.

Again just a theory and after everything that went on this offseason I would not be shocked if this is atleast on the brain of Mr. T and Rex.

I have a theory too. Do they like Woody at guard or just tackle? They were very high on signing Flozell Adams for RT a few years ago. He's available again now. He may be older washed up and carrying more baggage or they may consider him for RT and sliding Woody over. Probably a non-idea, but it was the first thing I thought of when Dallas was talking about letting Adams go.

Vlad seems more likely to make it as a RT at a pro level, imo. If Slauson works out at LG this season, Vlad will probably end up being the long term replacement for Woody, rather than Faneca.

I don't think they'll let Brick go. He isn't as good as we all hoped he'd be, but he's not bad. I'm sure they'll find a way to keep both him and Mangold.

Just a thought here and after everything that transpired at this years draft with the Faneca and Washington moves, not to mention Rhodes, and TJ.

The Jets were rumored to be taking him at 29 but when Kyle Wilson fell in their lap they couldnt pass. So here is my outside the box idea the Jets might be thinking. If they rated him high enough at 29 they might grade him out as a future LT and if this is the case they might have a plan of letting D'Brick walking at the end of the year sliding Ducasse into the left tackle spot, Slausson into the LG spot and draft a RT to replace Woody for when he leaves. This would free up enough cap space to sign Holmes, Edwards, Revis, Mangold, Cromartie, and Harris. Of course this would all depend on Ducasse's progress in 2010, but I really would not be shocked if this isnt in the back of the Jets mind right now, also remember D'Brick isnt the best run blocker to say the least and that might not fit Rex Ryan's mold and could make him expendable if Ducasse progresses the way the Jets think he will with them being that high on him.

Again just a theory and after everything that went on this offseason I would not be shocked if this is atleast on the brain of Mr. T and Rex.

Sounds like too much maneuvering in a short period of time for a team built on winning now.

Its a unique theory but it doesn't make all that much sense to me since pretty much all reports on him look at him as a guard or RT. It seems much more likely that they view him similarly and see him as a future replacement for Woody and i that doesn't work out he can stay at guard. Brick is a borderline elite young LT. If they were looking to replace him I'm pretty sure they wouldn't hedge their bets on a kid that at best is a questionable fit at the position. Again, especially when they're old at other positions on the line that Ducasse fits ideally.

D'Brick is not going anywhere. And although I think Woody could play LG very well, I don't think they will mess with the chemistry anymore than just replacing Fanaca. That will be either Vlad, Turner, Slauson or Hunter. Woody is getting older, but he is also playing the best of his career. Moore is in his prime and was outstanding last year. Mangold is a stud. Once someone emerges at LG, I think this line will ontinue to be solid for several years.

If they rated him high enough at 29 they might grade him out as a future LT and if this is the case they might have a plan of letting D'Brick walking at the end of the year sliding Ducasse into the left tackle spot, Slausson into the LG spot and draft a RT to replace Woody for when he leaves. This would free up enough cap space to sign Holmes, Edwards, Revis, Mangold, Cromartie, and Harris. Of course this would all depend on Ducasse's progress in 2010, but I really would not be shocked if this isnt in the back of the Jets mind right now...

I agree with you. May not be the "plan," but I'm sure it's in their thoughts.

I've kind of alluded to it in a couple posts, but it wouldn't surprise me if they start him at LG and watch his progress carefully. Jets have a lot of contracts coming up, and while D'Brick is a very good player, he's not one of those indispensable franchise LT's.

I agree with you. May not be the "plan," but I'm sure it's in their thoughts.

I've kind of alluded to it in a couple posts, but it wouldn't surprise me if they start him at LG and watch his progress carefully. Jets have a lot of contracts coming up, and while D'Brick is a very good player, he's not one of those indispensable franchise LT's.

The Jets will let Harris and/or Mangold go before they let D'Brick go. No, he's not an Orlando Pace...But he's a damned good, young, LT in a league where young, good LT's are becoming more and more important every year. Mangold and Harris are great players, but when you think about it, the last two Centers we drafted/signed (Mawae and Mangold), and the last two ILB's we drafted (Vilma and Harris), have been pro-bowl quality players. Yes they're very good players, but its much easier to find a good C or ILB than it is to find a good LT.

The Jets will let Harris and/or Mangold go before they let D'Brick go. No, he's not an Orlando Pace...But he's a damned good, young, LT in a league where young, good LT's are becoming more and more important every year. Mangold and Harris are great players, but when you think about it, the last two Centers we drafted/signed (Mawae and Mangold), and the last two ILB's we drafted (Vilma and Harris), have been pro-bowl quality players. Yes they're very good players, but its much easier to find a good C or ILB than it is to find a good LT.

Under Rex Ryan, the Jets will continue to be a run first team.

Mangold is arguably the best center in football, D'Brick is a top ten LT. Their level of talent, and the style of ball the Jets play, suggest to me that Mangold will be the higher priority if/when it gets to that point.

LT is overrated, IMHO, as a cornerstone position, and as a result is extremely costly to pay a premium for. I bet Rex considers the CB position to be more important to his team than left tackle.

We'll see where it goes, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're already thinking about ways to replace D'Brick rather than pay him franchise LT money. Consider, too, that if he leaves in FA the Jets are virtually guaranteed a 3rd round comp pick in return.

Under Rex Ryan, the Jets will continue to be a run first team.

Mangold is arguably the best center in football, D'Brick is a top ten LT. Their level of talent, and the style of ball the Jets play, suggest to me that Mangold will be the higher priority if/when it gets to that point.

LT is overrated, IMHO, as a cornerstone position, and as a result is extremely costly to pay a premium for. I bet Rex considers the CB position to be more important to his team than left tackle.

We'll see where it goes, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're already thinking about ways to replace D'Brick rather than pay him franchise LT money. Consider, too, that if he leaves in FA the Jets are virtually guaranteed a 3rd round comp pick in return.

Disagree completely. LT and C are the two most important positions on the OL...Maybe even on the offensive side of the football PERIOD. Center because he's the general of the OL...The one responsible for protection audibles and adjustments based on blitz packages etc... The LT because most of the time, teams want to send their best pass rushers and use their most exotic blitzes on the QB's blindside... It is therefore the job of the LT to diagnose and protect the QB from these dominant pass rushers and exotic blitzes. We saw what a mess the season became in Fabini's later years as LT (especially the year he got hurt) and Dbrick's 2nd year (and 1st w/out an experience LG helping him out) when he was average at best... Now with a few yrs under his belt and a lot of good coaching, he has become one of the top LT's in the game, and as a result, those blindside blitzers are less of a concern to our offense... And we dont have to worry about Sanchez getting blindsided every time he drops back to pass.

I'm sorry bro, but this is a really dumb idea. I don't give a **** who walks as long as Ferguson, Mangold, and our defensive core.

Ferguson is easily a Top LT. EASILY. He's going to be here for another 8 years or so just to protect Sanchez's backside. No thanks on this idea.

If they rated him high enough at 29 they might grade him out as a future LT and if this is the case they might have a plan of letting D'Brick walking at the end of the year sliding Ducasse into the left tackle spot, Slausson into the LG spot and draft a RT to replace Woody for when he leaves. This would free up enough cap space to sign Holmes, Edwards, Revis, Mangold, Cromartie, and Harris. Of course this would all depend on Ducasse's progress in 2010, but I really would not be shocked if this isnt in the back of the Jets mind right now, also remember D'Brick isnt the best run blocker to say the least and that might not fit Rex Ryan's mold and could make him expendable if Ducasse progresses the way the Jets think he will with them being that high on him.

heres a great set of pics of this young man's dream coming tru

http://bit.ly/bVk6hz

out of the box maybe Vlad replaces Woody and Slauson/Turner replace Faneca... could be a best case scenario... vlad has alot of learning to do either way but will likely start off his education as a guard.

I'd like that scenario quite a bit if it turns out to be the best case for the line. Really improves the youth.

As for the OP's point, I don't think it's impossible. If Ducasse proves capable of playing that spot, at the very least it provides leverage in negotiations with Brick. Say things don't pan out in negotiations well and they feel confident in Ducasse at LT, there are plenty of teams out there who would give up the house for Brick and then you can spend money elsewhere.

I don't think it's likely, but the financial stuff and leverage at the very least had to be in Tannenbaum's mind when he made the pick, he is still a numbers guy originally after all and certainly isn't opposed to making those tough decisions letting guys go when he doesn't feel they'll be worth the coin that they want. A franchise LT is going to stick around 99.99%, but having somebody who they feel is capable of playing the position waiting in the wings has to help in negotiations.

D'Brick isn't going anywhere. Ducasse is either the LG or RT.

Who's the last franchise LT that actually left his first team? I can't even think of it. Boselli, I guess...

Well, the Bills traded theirs. Peters is overrated but is still a franchise LT, IMO.

heres a great set of pics of this young man's dream coming tru

http://bit.ly/bVk6hz

out of the box maybe Vlad replaces Woody and Slauson/Turner replace Faneca... could be a best case scenario... vlad has alot of learning to do either way but will likely start off his education as a guard.

What scares me about Vlad, is at the senior bowl he was beaten like a drum in one on ones and pouted about it

Big time project

What if Ducasse can't go right?

Ducasse said in an interview he's played both tackle spots...doesn't really matter to him whether he's on the left or right side. Add in the fact that he's so raw and it shouldn't be very difficult for them to coach him in the techniques at a few different positions. Nice to have a bit more of a blank slate you can mold a little as opposed to getting rid of old, bad techniques. Should be interesting to see what Callahan can do with him.

culled these links out of the DD blog:

(that thing is my online database, thanks to R44)

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/10/24/for_ducasse_destiny_leads_to_nfl_draft/?page=full

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/08/umass_football_preseason_allam.html

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/20100123vladimir_ducasse_plays_for_haiti_nfl_dream_hits_home/srvc=home&position=recent

video of his pro day drills:

http://blog.masslive.com/minuteblog/2010/03/nfl_draft_prospect_vladimir_du.html

my own personal notes from 1/30/2010 Senior Bowl practice... are pithy as usual but i stand by the comment. Let someone else figure out his whole story, i give the gut feeling :)

UMass offensive lineman #70 Vlad Ducasse is strong but raw and can be exploited at tackle. But as a guard there is alot to like about this player.

What scares me about Vlad, is at the senior bowl he was beaten like a drum in one on ones and pouted about it

Big time project

as a tackle it's tru he got beat...( by brandon graham who was awesome by the way and should be an amazing pro) he might never be a tackle. at guard he was sound. the pouting about it wasn't as bad as it sounds... he just asked to be moved back to guard.

even if we say that's a bad "outburst" - this is a kid who was going through alot. that was the week of the haiti disaster. these other guys are worrying about how their under armour fits, he's wondering where his family are...

another reason I like the pick... Vlad has too much riding on this to fail. Unless he gets injured or something else unlucky, he will be there ready to work. And isn't gonna make it rain in a night club somewhere. He's trying to build hospitals thats where his head is at.

People are still down on D'Brick? Jesus!

How many defenses does a guy have to dominate to get some respect around here?

Easily an elite NFL Tackle, everything we wished he could have been when we drafted him. He doesn't leave the Jets anytime soon.

D'Brick is not going anywhere. And although I think Woody could play LG very well, I don't think they will mess with the chemistry anymore than just replacing Fanaca. That will be either Vlad, Turner, Slauson or Hunter. Woody is getting older, but he is also playing the best of his career. Moore is in his prime and was outstanding last year. Mangold is a stud. Once someone emerges at LG, I think this line will ontinue to be solid for several years.

Woody and Moore are a nasty run blocking combo on the right side. I do not see them messing with that. This guy is going to play LG. He looks like a road grader.

Vlad seems more likely to make it as a RT at a pro level, imo. If Slauson works out at LG this season, Vlad will probably end up being the long term replacement for Woody, rather than Faneca.

I don't think they'll let Brick go. He isn't as good as we all hoped he'd be, but he's not bad. I'm sure they'll find a way to keep both him and Mangold.

Brick is one of the best LT's in the game what are talking about?

Woody was getting slammed in DET for his play at guard. His career was resurrected when they moved him to RT, and he continued to thrive there with us. Slauson is likely moving into Faneca's position because Caqllahan feels he's ready and maybe even better than a declining Faneca. Ducasse as drafted so we have a solid capable backup this year (injuries on the OL are more common than not), and a solid capable replacement for Woody in the next year or two as he is getting up there in age.

Woody was getting slammed in DET for his play at guard. His career was resurrected when they moved him to RT, and he continued to thrive there with us. Slauson is likely moving into Faneca's position because Caqllahan feels he's ready and maybe even better than a declining Faneca. Ducasse as drafted so we have a solid capable backup this year (injuries on the OL are more common than not), and a solid capable replacement for Woody in the next year or two as he is getting up there in age.

How do you know how Callahan feels about Slauson at this point? He might be a bust and Callahan went to Tannenbaum to tell him "Draft Ducasse, this guy is our LG after we cut Faneca."

All I'm saying is at this point, Slauson is a COMPLETE unknown, based on what I've heard about him (nothing).

I would actually say Ducasse will be the starting LG on opening night, but that is a complete speculative guess.

Archived