Jets rooks from NFL.com

NIGHT STALKER

From Bucky Brooks:

New York Jets

The Jets had only four draft picks, but at least three of those players should provide a big return.

Kyle Wilson stood out in the mind of Jets' coaches after repeatedly blanketing receivers throughout the camp. He routinely kept tight coverage on receivers in one-on-one and team drills, and displayed outstanding explosiveness while closing on receivers out of the break. Though Wilson only faced rookie competition in camp, his ability to defend in one-on-one situations is so impressive that he may give the Jets the flexibility to vary their coverage matchups based on the opponent's personnel.

The release of Alan Faneca on draft day thrust Vladimir Ducasse into the spotlight as a potential rookie starter at left guard, but he appears to have the moxie to handle the responsibility of replacing a Pro Bowl player in his first season. Coaches were pleasantly surprised by his strong punch and flexibility. His ability to drop his weight with good knee bend indicates that he could be a powerful pile pusher in the running game. Additionally, the team placed him at left guard, which puts him beside two Pro Bowlers, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, to limit his exposure in pass protection until he is ready for a bigger role.

Running back Joe McKnight started off slowly during camp while adjusting to the rapid pace and tempo of the Jets' practices, but coaches came away impressed with his natural talent. He has outstanding hands and natural running skills that may rate superior to the recently departed Leon Washington. Though he needs to quickly acclimate to the pro game, he is quietly factoring into the Jets' offensive plans this season.

From Bucky Brooks:

New York Jets

The Jets had only four draft picks, but at least three of those players should provide a big return.

Kyle Wilson stood out in the mind of Jets' coaches after repeatedly blanketing receivers throughout the camp. He routinely kept tight coverage on receivers in one-on-one and team drills, and displayed outstanding explosiveness while closing on receivers out of the break. Though Wilson only faced rookie competition in camp, his ability to defend in one-on-one situations is so impressive that he may give the Jets the flexibility to vary their coverage matchups based on the opponent's personnel.

The release of Alan Faneca on draft day thrust Vladimir Ducasse into the spotlight as a potential rookie starter at left guard, but he appears to have the moxie to handle the responsibility of replacing a Pro Bowl player in his first season. Coaches were pleasantly surprised by his strong punch and flexibility. His ability to drop his weight with good knee bend indicates that he could be a powerful pile pusher in the running game. Additionally, the team placed him at left guard, which puts him beside two Pro Bowlers, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, to limit his exposure in pass protection until he is ready for a bigger role.

Running back Joe McKnight started off slowly during camp while adjusting to the rapid pace and tempo of the Jets' practices, but coaches came away impressed with his natural talent. He has outstanding hands and natural running skills that may rate superior to the recently departed Leon Washington. Though he needs to quickly acclimate to the pro game, he is quietly factoring into the Jets' offensive plans this season.

This positive assessment of the recent Jets rookie camp makes me feel very pleased...with the overall accomplishments the Jets have so far made in this off season.

Hope all this concludes with a Lombardi Trophy come Feb'11:cheers:

Lot's of whining about the RB with the technicolor yawn, but I'm not concerned in the least. The kid knows he was out of shape, and asked to stay on at the facility to demonstrate that he's better than he showed. You can't teach his natural ability, and he looks shiftier than a two-legged Leon.

Prediction: We'll be watching this kid run circles around the other players on Hard Knocks this summer.

Lot's of whining about the RB with the technicolor yawn, but I'm not concerned in the least. The kid knows he was out of shape, and asked to stay on at the facility to demonstrate that he's better than he showed. You can't teach his natural ability, and he looks shiftier than a two-legged Leon.

Prediction: We'll be watching this kid run circles around the other players on Hard Knocks this summer.

After watching him in college I never got the feeling he was overly 'shifty'. I think he's a good straightline runner and may turn into a solid player but I really don't think this will be our guy any time soon.

Hopefully i'm wrong but I just don't see it with McKnight.

I don't know. Looks plenty shifty here. Lot of sudden change of direction.

looks good to me. I think "shifty" is his strong-point. He doesn't over power defenders, and doesn't really out-run them either. But he can change direction on a dime.

looks good to me. I think "shifty" is his strong-point. He doesn't over power defenders, and doesn't really out-run them either. But he can change direction on a dime.

I think its a good thing that we dont see him flat out outrunning defenders because that wont really translate into the NFL because everyone is fast. I like that he seems to see the field very well and hits the whole instead of trying to fly out side every time. Im excited about him as a player and i think he will do extremely well behind out oline.

I think its a good thing that we dont see him flat out outrunning defenders because that wont really translate into the NFL because everyone is fast. I like that he seems to see the field very well and hits the whole instead of trying to fly out side every time. Im excited about him as a player and i think he will do extremely well behind out oline.

Good point. Also on the kick return he seems to have that natural awareness where his blockers are and uses them very well.

mcknight's talent is unquestioned. He's got amazing natural ball skills.

i dont know if it's bad luck or what but he's never lived up to that potential.

His first mini-camp practices are a metaphor for his whole career: amazing at times, unavailable at times.

mcknight could be awesome and make big plays in big games, he could be on IR and a complete non-factor. he's just a very volatile player... and he needs to take steps to become more professional. Will he take those steps? Stay tuned. But it's not gonna happen just cause we hope for it... it's up to Joe... and it always has been.

mcknight's talent is unquestioned. He's got amazing natural ball skills.

i dont know if it's bad luck or what but he's never lived up to that potential.

His first mini-camp practices are a metaphor for his whole career: amazing at times, unavailable at times.

mcknight could be awesome and make big plays in big games, he could be on IR and a complete non-factor. he's just a very volatile player... and he needs to take steps to become more professional. Will he take those steps? Stay tuned. But it's not gonna happen just cause we hope for it... it's up to Joe... and it always has been.

I don

Also raising hand.

Remember Abner "We'll kick to the clock Haynes" well.

Kind of reminded me of Herm Edwards. :)

:D Unfortunately, that is what old Abner is remembered for, despite his great skills.

Another fast, shifty RB from the old AFL I loved was Paul Lowe of the Chargers.

Archived