Revis NOT Asking for 20 Million

flgreen

Agent not sure where Lombardi came up with that figure....

Jets' Revis not looking for $20M per year

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 2:54 AM, May 18, 2010

Posted: 2:51 AM, May 18, 2010

By yesterday afternoon, a story from the National Football Post's Mike Lombardi had reported that Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is seeking a new contract that will pay him an average of $20 million per year.

By early evening, when contacted by The Post, Revis' agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, vehemently shot the report down as preposterous, wondering aloud where that information could have come from.

"We have never spoken to Mike Lombardi -- ever, not even when he worked for the Raiders," Feinsod told The Post. "Where he's getting his information I don't know, but it's not coming from our side."

It certainly isn't coming from the Jets' side, either. After all, why would someone from the Jets leak that Revis was seeking such big money?

Revis, scheduled to make $1 million this season, the fourth year of his original contract, is seeking a new deal and he is on record as saying that Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum "promised" him a new one before the 2010 season begins.

Revis' contract is a complicated one that can be voided after this season if the Jets opt to pay a $21 million buyout. The Jets could keep Revis under his existing contract and pay him $21 million over the next three years, but it'll be better business for them to tear it up and start over.

Revis, who finished second in the NFL Defensive Player of the Year voting to Packers cornerback Charles Woodson and started in the Pro Bowl, is likely seeking at least similar money to the $15.1 million Raiders' cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is making.

Asomugha signed a three-year, $45.3 million deal last offseason, a contract that makes him, based on average salary per year, the fourth-highest-paid player in the NFL.

The three players above him are Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers ($16.7 million), Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer ($16.2 million) and Giants quarterback Eli Manning ($15.3 million). Peyton Manning, considered by many as the most valuable player in the league, makes an average of $14 million.

Only three players last season -- the Giants' Eli Manning, Chargers QB Philip Rivers and Bears QB Jay Cutler -- made more than $20 million last season.

Revis, who hasn't talked about what his contract goals are, said last week that his agents had begun contract negotiations with the Jets, and Tannenbaum has said he's committed to keeping Revis in a Jets uniform for the rest of his career.

Revis last week hinted that, should he believe that the Jets are not backing up their promise to ink him to a new deal before the season, holding out of training camp, which begins Aug. 1, is not out of the question.

The Jets, by policy, do not comment on contract negotiations, so Tannenbaum was not available to address these issues.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Translation: The fan backlash is bigger than we thought, so now we are going to save face by blaming the reporter and pretending we never made these requests.

More likely the other way around. NYJ spin machine is a monster. Make Revis look greedy and selfish and keep the fans on your side. Coles got burned by the spin, as did mawae, kendall, l. Washington, etc. etc. "Leaking" negative info (ie: making up stuff that reflects negatively) about players seeking new contacts is classic Jets FO practice.

Jay Cutler 20 million a year -he has really earned that salary so far.

Note, that's not PER YEAR. That's only for 2009.

Cutler made $20 million last year because of the way the contract is structured. That doesn't mean he made/makes $20 million every year. In other words, his contract doesn't average $20 million a year.

Also, that includes signing bonus because he was extended by the Bears.

More likely the other way around. NYJ spin machine is a monster. Make Revis look greedy and selfish and keep the fans on your side. Coles got burned by the spin, as did mawae, kendall, l. Washington, etc. etc. "Leaking" negative info (ie: making up stuff that reflects negatively) about players seeking new contacts is classic Jets FO practice.

If that was the case though, why leak it Lombardi? This front office does not exactly have a great relationship with him and he's been particularly critical of Tannenbaum in the past.

I would think if this did come from the FO, they would want to leak to somebody that wasn't as antagonistic as Lombardi.

Also with the exception of Washington, all of the players you mentioned were players on the decline (even at the time of their contract negotiations) and the Jets would have been crazy to give in to their demands.

My personal opinion on this is that Lombardi is stirring the pot and made up a ridiculous figure. He may have been right about Faneca, but generally he is not the most reliable person when it comes to inside information. I would only rank Florio worse than Lombardi.

Six year, $84 million deal ($14 million per) with $32 million guaranteed.

That's my guess on what Revis will get.

I didn't think revis was that kind of guy, to say he wanted 20 mill a year! thats just crazy selfish! he seems like a good guy, a team first kinda guy.. but I do think he will get PAID! and I wanna throw my prediction out there too.

8 year 122 million, 58 million guaranteed. be alot of bonuses, complicated, averaging out to 15.25 mill a year.

Being this is an uncapped year, couldn't they give him a disgustingly front loaded contract that would pay him a ton of dough this year and become somewhat reasonable later? I mean pay the guy like 35M this year and 11M a year over the next 5 years? I know it's a huge risk (health level of play over the next several years) but is that even possible? Could Woody pony up that kinda money? Am I about to be laughed at? :bag:

I didn't think revis was that kind of guy, to say he wanted 20 mill a year! thats just crazy selfish! he seems like a good guy, a team first kinda guy.. but I do think he will get PAID! and I wanna throw my prediction out there too.

8 year 122 million, 58 million guaranteed. be alot of bonuses, complicated, averaging out to 15.25 mill a year.

So team oriented that he held out his rookie year before even playing a single down ;) But you're right, he is definitely going to get paid.

Being this is an uncapped year, couldn't they give him a disgustingly front loaded contract that would pay him a ton of dough this year and become somewhat reasonable later? I mean pay the guy like 35M this year and 11M a year over the next 5 years? I know it's a huge risk (health level of play over the next several years) but is that even possible? Could Woody pony up that kinda money? Am I about to be laughed at? :bag:

With the 30 and 50 rule, there are limitations to the amount of money you can give in an uncapped year. It's just pretty restrictive; I personally wanna know what Gene Upshaw was thinking when he agreed to this.

So team oriented that he held out his rookie year before even playing a single down ;) But you're right, he is definitely going to get paid.

With the 30 and 50 rule, there are limitations to the amount of money you can give in an uncapped year. It's just pretty restrictive; I personally wanna know what Gene Upshaw was thinking when he agreed to this.

He didn't agree to this, nor did the owners... They both agreed that should the previous CBA expire. these would be the rules for a "gap" year for negotiations to continue. Neither the owners or players are particularly happy about the uncapped year and all the restrictions placed on teams....But I think both sides agree that continuing play for another year while negotiations are going on is better for everyone than a strike or lockout.

he was there when it mattered. so it really didn't hurt anything. he just does'nt seem like a guy that would say pay me! I dont care about the rest of the team. not to me anyways

Archived