Jets will start Santonio with easiest position to learn

Kentucky Jet

Jets will start Santonio with "the easiest position in football to learn"

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2010 4:02 PM ET

The New York Jets don't want to throw too much at new wide receiver Santonio Holmes, and so they're lining him up in organized team activities at the easiest position for him to learn.

In the opinion of Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, that's the X receiver spot.

"The easiest position in football to learn is the X," Schottenheimer told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "There's not as much to think about."

The X receiver lines up on the line of scrimmage on the weak side of the formation, and it's a position where it's fairly easy for a receiver to remember where he's supposed to line up. The slot receiver, on the other hand, lines up all over the place, and Schottenheimer wants a player who's been in his system a little longer to do that.

"The guy in the slot is the guy that moves a lot," Schottenheimer told Mehta. "He's all over the place. So Jerricho [Cotchery] can obviously handle that, because he's been here. We're trying to make it real basic for [Holmes] right now."

Very diplomatic way of saying that Holmes will start and Cotchery will ride the pine. Holmes isnt much of an upgrade over Cotch IMO, but you guys depth at WR is solid, and Cotch is a better slot guy than Smith. Kinda strange for a power running team to stock up on good WR instead of good OL and RB's, Im just sayin.

Very diplomatic way of saying that Holmes will start and Cotchery will ride the pine. Holmes isnt much of an upgrade over Cotch IMO, but you guys depth at WR is solid, and Cotch is a better slot guy than Smith. Kinda strange for a power running team to stock up on good WR instead of good OL and RB's, Im just sayin.

And I'm just sayin', all of your first 6 posts have been homerish and foolish. Holmes is a Super Bowl MVP and true WR1. The fact that Cotch is in the slot makes him MORE of a threat than he was as a starter.

We stocked up on WR's in order to become a more balanced team, not because we're letting the running game phase out. In fact, BECAUSE we have so many more weapons in the passing game, our running game stands to improve. Teams will have lots of trouble gameplanning for us.

And I'm just sayin', all of your first 6 posts have been homerish and foolish. Holmes is a Super Bowl MVP and true WR1. The fact that Cotch is in the slot makes him MORE of a threat than he was as a starter.

We stocked up on WR's in order to become a more balanced team, not because we're letting the running game phase out. In fact, BECAUSE we have so many more weapons in the passing game, our running game stands to improve. Teams will have lots of trouble gameplanning for us.

Youre right, Im a Dolphins fan, what gave me away?

I'll repeat, it doesnt make much sense for a power running team to have 3 good WRs and only one good RB. If Holmes gets hurt (or suspended), so what. But if Shonn Greene were to go down, you guys would be in a world of hurt. I liked the line up you had last year better, with the three good RBs who could share the load. The coaches chose to use up Jones in the regular season and save Shonn late in the season/the playoffs, which was an excellent strategy also, to thier credit. However, that wont be an option this year, L.T. simply isnt an effective runner, and he's not much for picking up a blitz either. LWash gave me nightmares, Joe McKnight doesnt worry me at all. I'll be ecstatic any time he or L.T. comes in the game.

Back to the WRs though. The problem w/ the passing game last year wasnt the WRs, it was the QB. Having Braylon, Holmes, Cotch and Keller is nice, but it doesnt much matter how many good WRs you have, if you dont have a QB who can read defenses, go thru progressions, and make good decisions with the ball. I dont think gameplanning for NYJs offense will be do difficult: stop the run, force Sanchez to pass. Easier said than done of course, but a bit easier now that Thomas Jones and Leon Washington are gone.

I'll repeat, it doesnt make much sense for a power running team to have 3 good WRs and only one good RB.

Maybe.... and this is just speculation... the Jets aren't trying to be defined in such a limited scope.

I'll repeat, it doesnt make much sense for a power running team to have 3 good WRs and only one good RB. If Holmes gets hurt (or suspended), so what. But if Shonn Greene were to go down, you guys would be in a world of hurt. I liked the line up you had last year better, with the three good RBs who could share the load. The coaches chose to use up Jones in the regular season and save Shonn late in the season/the playoffs, which was an excellent strategy also, to thier credit. However, that wont be an option this year, L.T. simply isnt an effective runner, and he's not much for picking up a blitz either. LWash gave me nightmares, Joe McKnight doesnt worry me at all. I'll be ecstatic any time he or L.T. comes in the game.

Back to the WRs though. The problem w/ the passing game last year wasnt the WRs, it was the QB. Having Braylon, Holmes, Cotch and Keller is nice, but it doesnt much matter how many good WRs you have, if you dont have a QB who can read defenses, go thru progressions, and make good decisions with the ball. I dont think gameplanning for NYJs offense will be do difficult: stop the run, force Sanchez to pass. Easier said than done of course, but a bit easier now that Thomas Jones and Leon Washington are gone.

PLEASE STOP TALKING!!!! YOUR KILLIN ME!!! first of all u freakin idiot,.... u kno wat im not even gonna waste my time breaking down stuff cause clearly your a retard, holy crap!

All stupid comments. You know nothing about the Jets so go back to your forum. To say that LT isn't an effective runner is just plane dumb.No one could run behind that sad Chargers offensive line. Sproles didn't do too much better did he? McKnight doesn't worry you at all? Amazing take on a player who hasn't run the ball once yet in the nfl. Hmmm that leads me to the quarterback not making good decisions part... Sanchez got better as the season went on while Henne got worse,hence the Dolphins not making the playoffs when they had their own destiny in their hands.Just remember that without the 2 kickoff returns in the second game your team pretty much did nothing. Ronnie Brown coming back from yet ANOTHER injury is what you should be focusing on or maybe who will quarterback the team should Henne go down being that Pat White really didn't look that impressive this year.Don't come in here spewing all your crap when you don't know what you're talking about!!!!

It would be stupid of me to say that for a fan of a team that main offense is the "kittycat" you guys give away two 2nd round picks for Marshall instead of stocking up on runningbacks and the Oline. Your whole draft was defense. The bottomline is Marshall helps out your running game probably more than any Olineman or RB you guys could have picked up, because on top of the fact that Henne and Ronnie can throw the ball, Marshall "demands" a double team so you REALLY cant stack the box.

Now that you understand how WR"s help the run game let me explain the purpose of our WR's. First off all, we got Santonio for a 5th round pick....the BEST 5th rounder this year by FAR. Secondly, we just drafted a franchise QB that made it to the AFC championship given the huge support of the offensive line unit. Lets not get this twisted, Its not like Thomas Jones was a Peterson or LT in his prime. The reason why Jones was so successful was because of the Oline and I highly doubt that Jones would have had the same success elsewhere or with KC for that matter. So on that note, we can play numerous 3 receiver sets which both Braylon and Santonio will gain that respect to be played honest and Cotchery will eat up any 3rd string CB in this game today outside of Kyle Wilson :P . Not only this but now you have LT that can catch the ball and is still one of the best route running RB's in the game today along with Greene that you cant stack the box against. And dont let me even get into the numerous mismatches with Dustin Keller, which has really improved on his blocking skills.

Now since you know the importance of our squad then I can tell you right now that if Greene gets hurt then we have the best backup RB in the game (former MVP) in LT with the best line in the game, along with McKnight that will certainly get some love. Oh, and we just signed Kia from Hawaii U. We needed a WR more than a RB, I think we'll manage.

Edit: and stop listening to the TV so much. All this "LT" talk is crazy. He went from being a MVP Back to being a great supportive back. You talk about it like its a downgrade yet LT's O'line was horrible yet he was still able to run for 12 TDs...only 2 below Jones last year yet Jones was running with the #1 rushing offensive line and Tomlinson with the #31. LT just moved up 30 spots in that department.

My question to you is this, when LT makes it to the 2nd and 3rd level more often because he has blockers who's going to stop him....safeties? lmao.

I know its all talk now....let the season begin and we'll see whats poppin.

Dude, stop talking. "Stocking up on WR's"? We picked up 1 WR for a 5th rounder, which he so happens to be a former MVP of this league so I doubt we could compare Cotch to Holmes at this time. They both catch everything thrown to them but Holmes has like twice the speed and they both run pretty solid routes. Stretching the field, giving our "Franchise" QB an option for a deep threat on either side of the field while limiting stacking the box is NOT over stocking on WR's, thats called good front office management by Tanny.

As for our Power running game. why would we keep stocking up on the running game when we have the #1 running game in the league and our passing game is #31? I can care less about an "identity" to the public. If we fell to the 6th or 7th best running game in the league while raising our passing offense up from #31 to about #15th then I say that it was certainly a job well done because that means that EVERY team coming to face us is going to need a solid secondary, great pass rushing and solid Inside linbackers to stop the run but on an "individual" basis, because you cant get help facing this type of offense. Wouldnt it be wise to give the young QB some options so he could earn his 56 million while keeping teams more honest with their defense?

PLEASE STOP TALKING!!!! YOUR KILLIN ME!!! first of all u freakin idiot,.... u kno wat im not even gonna waste my time breaking down stuff cause clearly your a retard, holy crap!

What are u like 12? Past your bed time kid, go to sleep and let the grown ups finsh thier conversation.

All stupid comments. You know nothing about the Jets so go back to your forum. To say that LT isn't an effective runner is just plane dumb.No one could run behind that sad Chargers offensive line. Sproles didn't do too much better did he? McKnight doesn't worry you at all? Amazing take on a player who hasn't run the ball once yet in the nfl. Hmmm that leads me to the quarterback not making good decisions part... Sanchez got better as the season went on while Henne got worse,hence the Dolphins not making the playoffs when they had their own destiny in their hands.Just remember that without the 2 kickoff returns in the second game your team pretty much did nothing. Ronnie Brown coming back from yet ANOTHER injury is what you should be focusing on or maybe who will quarterback the team should Henne go down being that Pat White really didn't look that impressive this year.Don't come in here spewing all your crap when you don't know what you're talking about!!!!

Nothing except win the game, three in a row vs. the Jets IIRC. Dont make excuses, you lost, you got beat, deal with it. Pennington is the back up QB, not as good as Kellen Clemens but...oh, wait, Never mind.

It would be stupid of me to say that for a fan of a team that main offense is the "kittycat" you guys give away two 2nd round picks for Marshall instead of stocking up on runningbacks and the Oline. Your whole draft was defense. The bottomline is Marshall helps out your running game probably more than any Olineman or RB you guys could have picked up, because on top of the fact that Henne and Ronnie can throw the ball, Marshall "demands" a double team so you REALLY cant stack the box.

Now that you understand how WR"s help the run game let me explain the purpose of our WR's. First off all, we got Santonio for a 5th round pick....the BEST 5th rounder this year by FAR. Secondly, we just drafted a franchise QB that made it to the AFC championship given the huge support of the offensive line unit. Lets not get this twisted, Its not like Thomas Jones was a Peterson or LT in his prime. The reason why Jones was so successful was because of the Oline and I highly doubt that Jones would have had the same success elsewhere or with KC for that matter. So on that note, we can play numerous 3 receiver sets which both Braylon and Santonio will gain that respect to be played honest and Cotchery will eat up any 3rd string CB in this game today outside of Kyle Wilson :P . Not only this but now you have LT that can catch the ball and is still one of the best route running RB's in the game today along with Greene that you cant stack the box against. And dont let me even get into the numerous mismatches with Dustin Keller, which has really improved on his blocking skills.

Now since you know the importance of our squad then I can tell you right now that if Greene gets hurt then we have the best backup RB in the game (former MVP) in LT with the best line in the game, along with McKnight that will certainly get some love. Oh, and we just signed Kia from Hawaii U. We needed a WR more than a RB, I think we'll manage.

Edit: and stop listening to the TV so much. All this "LT" talk is crazy. He went from being a MVP Back to being a great supportive back. You talk about it like its a downgrade yet LT's O'line was horrible yet he was still able to run for 12 TDs...only 2 below Jones last year yet Jones was running with the #1 rushing offensive line and Tomlinson with the #31. LT just moved up 30 spots in that department.

My question to you is this, when LT makes it to the 2nd and 3rd level more often because he has blockers who's going to stop him....safeties? lmao.

I know its all talk now....let the season begin and we'll see whats poppin.

First knowledgeable answer so far, its lookin up around here :cheers:.

Yeah, Marshall helps our running game out alot b/c we had no real threat at WR. You guys already had Braylon Edwards and Cotch, plus a good recieving TE in Keller. Ronnie and Ricky are one of the top tandems in the league, and its laughable to call L.T. the top #2 in the league. Johnathan Stewart, Ricky, McGahee, Fred Thomas, Felix Jones/Tashard Choice, Chester Taylor etc, all better than L.T. at this point.

Go ahead, play all the 3WR sets you want, your QB is a turnover waiting to happen, defensive coordinators will jump for joy if they can get Sanchez to drop back instead of hand off. I dont know if MS played better later in the season so much as the coaches stopped calling pass plays. He went from throwing it close to 30 times a game in the first half of the season, to around 20 att/game in the second half and the playoffs. He was more efficient with less attempts, and with simplified game plans and play calls, which isnt a knock on him, but when the coaches are reigning you in b/c they dont trust you to make good decisions, its not exactly a good thing.

About LT in the second level, I guess we'll have to wait to September to find out.

I'm kinda calling B.S on Schotty here. There is no easy way to tell your team/fan favorite WR that he's being moved to the slot. So in order to maintain damage control Schotty plays mind games.

Great work Brian.

I'm not mad at him, he's just very savvy in how he goes about his business.

Yeah, Marshall helps our running game out alot b/c we had no real threat at WR. You guys already had Braylon Edwards and Cotch, plus a good recieving TE in Keller. Ronnie and Ricky are one of the top tandems in the league, and its laughable to call L.T. the top #2 in the league. Johnathan Stewart, Ricky, McGahee, Fred Thomas, Felix Jones/Tashard Choice, Chester Taylor etc, all better than L.T. at this point.

I see a problem with my answer being both knowledgeable and laughable at the same time. The bottomline is that LT is coming from a team that in all honesty NEVER supported the run. It was always built off of LT's unique talent to being his size yet having his speed to the corner as well as always breaking tackles. What LT lost in his game is speed. LT cant get out to the corner the way he did without having help which he never had as a charger. LT still breaks tackles etc. its just this time because of the lack of help he's being met more often than not at the line of scrimmage. With this Jets offense the first hand that lays a finger on LT will be 4 yards down the field. Now match that with his vision then I have to say that LT has a chance of really going nuts this year when he gets the ball.

All of the guys you stated above could be arguably better, I'll give you that, which would still put LT in the top 5-10 #2 RB's PURELY off of raw talent and not including the supporting cast of the Oline which I can say for a fact that LT has the best line out of all of those guys not to mention arugably the best FB in the game as well.

Again, I just think that people are just saying he's "done" because the media was alluding to it on given the season he had and how the Chargers treated him.

Go ahead, play all the 3WR sets you want, your QB is a turnover waiting to happen, defensive coordinators will jump for joy if they can get Sanchez to drop back instead of hand off. I dont know if MS played better later in the season so much as the coaches stopped calling pass plays. He went from throwing it close to 30 times a game in the first half of the season, to around 20 att/game in the second half and the playoffs. He was more efficient with less attempts, and with simplified game plans and play calls, which isnt a knock on him, but when the coaches are reigning you in b/c they dont trust you to make good decisions, its not exactly a good thing.

About LT in the second level, I guess we'll have to wait to September to find out.

Yo fin fan, L.T wasn't brought in to step in Thomas Jones shoes, Shonn Greene is . L.T is what Shonn Greene was to us last year. If anything our running game improved. Shonn Greene is just a better runner then T.J is. L.T is spelling Shonn Greene.

Don't worry about L.T so much, you should be worrying about Shonn Greene.

Yet again, don't get to fixated on Shonn Greene and the running game either, Sanchez will be in his second year and ready to let the fur fly.

If Mark steps up this year no one will be able to defend the Jets.

Oline- check

WR's- check

RB's- check

TE- check

Q.B- ??? (if Mark turns it up like everyone is expecting, No one will be able to ***** with us)

DB's-check

pass rush- check

safeties- check

Sanchez is a turnover waiting to happen is bullshyte and you know it. Dude was a rookie and if I recall Peyton Manning was a turnover machine as well in his early years. Manning threw 100 INT's in his first 5 years in the league. Its called trial and error and the bottomline is this. the more "quality" options you have on the football field for your QB the more of a chance of you have to make quality decisions with the football, or those quality WR's turning your potentially bad play into a good one (something that Cotchery did ALOT for Sanchez, now we can add another "proven" WR to that equation).

Truth be told, people try to make football a statistical league but its built too much on teamwork. In Sanchez 2nd season (the playoffs...something you guys missed out on :thumbup:) you got to see the growth, chemistry and experience from a kid who threw 20 INT's in the season to then turn around and throw more TD's for a rookie QB in playoff history while only getting picked off I believe once (yeah, he did all that will limited reps. sounds like he's learning). So in other words you got to take the good WITH the bad if you're gonna try to make a credible point.

Yo fin fan, L.T wasn't brought in to step in Thomas Jones shoes, Shonn Greene is . L.T is what Shonn Greene was to us last year. If anything our running game improved. Shonn Greene is just a better runner then T.J is. L.T is spelling Shonn Greene.

Yet again, don't get to fixated on Shonn Greene and the running game either, Sanchez will be in his second year and ready to let the fur fly.

Oline- check

WR's- check

RB's- check

TE- check

Q.B- ??? (if Mark turns it up like everyone is expecting, No one will be able to ***** with us)

DB's-check

pass rush- check

safeties- check

You're right. If we get the Mark Sanchez we seen in the playoffs this kid will be a superbowl winner in just his second year.

Think about this 3 WR set that GMJohnson seems not to see the danger in.

You can have a 3 wr set with 2 backs for some great playaction passes with burners on each side of the field. You can also run the ball without being stacked.

Also, you can have a 3 WR set with one back and a TE in Keller. Now here's the great situation. You CANNOT play the typical 3-4 IMO when we're set up in a 3WR with Keller as our tight end because you're going to have to put a safety on both Keller and Cotch and with Braylon and Holmes on the field "one on one" I'll take that all day long. What this also does is limits significantly the teams pass rush ability because in a 3-4 they're going to have to end up playing zone. so that will call for either a Nickle or Dime package because Keller is going to burn most of the OLB's and you cant cheat the safeties because you have to watch over the top at all times now. A Nickle or Dime package means that the single back is going to have fun blowing up the second level of the defense...Not to mention that you STILL have Bray, Cotch and Holmes on the field as well.

Lastly, if Ducasse can "pull" to support the run upfield.....phew, the league is going to be in trouble.

Wow... I personally thought GM Johnson was making some good points. :confused:

He was, I just dont think he took in to account the amount of assistance that LT is going to have...something that he's never had before. Something that Thomas Jones made his career off of the past 2 years.

And personally thats why I think the LT signing was a beast of a move. Jones got over because of the oline, which is not a problem, however, I think field vision LT is way ahead of Jones, just given his history of success without a great Oline. Imagine that vision with this line. Throw on top that LT is a receiver as well.

You know what im most excited about? how much better the Jets 3rd down situations are going to be with Santonio and Holmes both on the field. There's so many options its disgusting.

Actually, LT is fantastic at picking up the blitz. He's also good at getting a chip block in and getting open as a safety valve for the QB. He's going to be an excellent addition on 3rd downs.

The strength of the Jets running game is up front. What kind of yardage do you think Darren Sproles would gain behind the Jets OL? Because he was only able to gain 3.7 behind the same line LT sucked behind. Your worries don't worry me. The Jets had enough faith in McKnight to trade up for him in the 4th round - but really, they could probably plug a UDFA in there and he'd be sufficient.

You should worry about your own house. Henne finished up the season throwing interceptions in six straight games for a total of 10 over that period of time.

His number of attempts didn't drop off nearly as dramatically as you're suggesting, and while some of it can be attributed to a simplified game plan, it's probably more attributable to the weather. We do get weather up here. In fact, that was the big concern with Sanchez coming out, but he played very well in the cold to finish the year. Particularly in the near zero temps in the playoff win over Cincinnati. His 92.7 passer rating for the playoffs is exceptional for a rookie QB.

But the joke is that you're somehow trying to portray the Jets acquiring Holmes for a 5th round pick as a bad thing. If you want to pretend to be a smart troll, you have to do better than that.

I'm a little worried about the RB position too, but not for the reasons he mentioned. I think Tomlinson can give a pretty fair equivalent to what Jones gave us. Particularly on a more limited scale. Losing Leon obviously isn't such a big deal since he was missing the whole second half of the season and playoff run. I'm not worried about Jones/Washington for Tomlinson/McKnight. I think the most valid question mark is wondering whether Greene is ready to step up as a full time back. He had some fumbling problems and his running style isn't very conducive to staying injury free. We'll see.

I'm a little worried about the RB position too, but not for the reasons he mentioned. I think Tomlinson can give a pretty fair equivalent to what Jones gave us. Particularly on a more limited scale. Losing Leon obviously isn't such a big deal since he was missing the whole second half of the season and playoff run. I'm not worried about Jones/Washington for Tomlinson/McKnight. I think the most valid question mark is wondering whether Greene is ready to step up as a full time back. He had some fumbling problems and his running style isn't very conducive to staying injury free. We'll see.

Clearly there are differences between college and pro levels. Size, speed, and talent of the average defender alone; not to mention there being 50% more games.

But he did it for the 2 seasons prior to getting drafted. It's not quite the same as Leon who, our affection for the guy notwithstanding, missed games due to injury every season in college. Then again, Martin dropped to round 3 mostly due to injury concerns and he was "somewhat" durable over his career.

Well that post would be good if it was true or accurate. The Jets are starting Santonio this way in May. He can't play in a real game until October.

Plenty of time to learn. Where you start in OTA's doesn't mean that is where you will finish.

Well that post would be good if it was true or accurate. The Jets are starting Santonio this way in May. He can't play in a real game until October.

Plenty of time to learn. Where you start in OTA's doesn't mean that is where you will finish.

Just like when someone like you starts a race doesn't mean you're going to finish. Unless it's a race to the bottom of a bowl of cookie dough.

Just like when someone like you starts a race doesn't mean you're going to finish. Unless it's a race to the bottom of a bowl of cookie dough.

What a stupid analogy. It wasn't a race and besides I never started it anyhow. :winking0001:

I see a problem with my answer being both knowledgeable and laughable at the same time. The bottomline is that LT is coming from a team that in all honesty NEVER supported the run. It was always built off of LT's unique talent to being his size yet having his speed to the corner as well as always breaking tackles. What LT lost in his game is speed. LT cant get out to the corner the way he did without having help which he never had as a charger. LT still breaks tackles etc. its just this time because of the lack of help he's being met more often than not at the line of scrimmage. With this Jets offense the first hand that lays a finger on LT will be 4 yards down the field. Now match that with his vision then I have to say that LT has a chance of really going nuts this year when he gets the ball.

All of the guys you stated above could be arguably better, I'll give you that, which would still put LT in the top 5-10 #2 RB's PURELY off of raw talent and not including the supporting cast of the Oline which I can say for a fact that LT has the best line out of all of those guys not to mention arugably the best FB in the game as well.

Again, I just think that people are just saying he's "done" because the media was alluding to it on given the season he had and how the Chargers treated him.

C'mon man, L.T. has a chance to be the all time leading rusher in the history o fthe game, and he did it all by himself, with no support, no schematic design or talent around him? Yawn. Nick Hardwick, Kris Dielman, and Marcus McNeil are all Pro Bowlers, I think that takes care of the no support arguement. His QBs for the past several years have been Rivers and Brees, he's had McCardell, Gates, Jackson, Chambers, Lorenzo Neal, Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner on his team. Football is a team game no one does anything without support. Its ok to get excited about your acquisition,but no need to delude yourself about his career.

He hasnt just lost his speed, he's lost his lateral movement, short area quickness, ability to stay healthy, and his willingness to finish runs/toughness. He's nowhere near as good as the back up running back you had last year.

The overrall issue is this, Thomas Jones-Leon Washington-Shonn Greene is a much better trio than Greene-L.T.-McKnight. For some reason you guys want to overhype anyone who's coming to the team, down play the accomplishments of anyone who's leaving. There's a reaon that Holmes was available for a 5th round pick, and its not b/c the Steelers are dumb. Same goes for Cromartie for a 2011 3rd rounder, the Chargers aint stupid. There's a reason L.T. was cut, theres a reason Jason Taylor wasnt resigned. All four players are coming from teams with good/great personell track records, and all four were let go b/c their teams just didnt think they were worth keeping. Maybe all of those teams are wrong, it happens. Sometimes you can get a bargain, but in the NFL you usually you get what you pay for.

Oline- check

WR's- check

RB's- check

TE- check

DB's-check

pass rush- check

safeties- check

Never said L.T. was TJs replacement, what Im saying is that the 3 backs you have for this year are a significant downgrade from the three you had last year. And that if Green goes down you'll be in serious trouble.

If Mark Sanchez makes a major improvement then yes, you guys will be tough to beat. But I see no reason to EXPECT that to happen. He was the weak link on the team IMO, but whatever, anything is possible.

Sanchez is a turnover waiting to happen is bullshyte and you know it. Dude was a rookie and if I recall Peyton Manning was a turnover machine as well in his early years. Manning threw 100 INT's in his first 5 years in the league. Its called trial and error and the bottomline is this. the more "quality" options you have on the football field for your QB the more of a chance of you have to make quality decisions with the football, or those quality WR's turning your potentially bad play into a good one (something that Cotchery did ALOT for Sanchez, now we can add another "proven" WR to that equation).

Truth be told, people try to make football a statistical league but its built too much on teamwork. In Sanchez 2nd season (the playoffs...something you guys missed out on :thumbup:) you got to see the growth, chemistry and experience from a kid who threw 20 INT's in the season to then turn around and throw more TD's for a rookie QB in playoff history while only getting picked off I believe once (yeah, he did all that will limited reps. sounds like he's learning). So in other words you got to take the good WITH the bad if you're gonna try to make a credible point.

Sanchez threw 20 picks and fumbled 10 times, with 24 total turnovers in 15 games. Thats alot, especially for a QB on a power run/play defense team, who wasnt asked to do much.

I'm going to pretend you didnt make the Peyton Manning comparison, but I do agree that adding Holmes helps, on paper. But this aint Madden 11, you cant ignore the possibility of Holmes, Cotchery, and Edwrds not meshing well. Edwards and Holmes especially, are in contract years, they'll want to put up big numbers and increase thier $$$, Cotchery has been a stalwart for years but he's been cast aside and made an afterthought just when he thought he was going to get his chance to be the guy. Maybe they'll blend together seamlessly, and maybe Sanchez will learn how to read defenses, not stare down WRs, and make good decisions, maybe. But these things arent foregone conclusions like I keep hearing.

Archived