Abe to be traded for Ramsey & Arrington?

Maynardrules#13

JETS CONFIDENTIAL

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON / Star-Ledger Staff

Early word out of San Diego is that veteran QB Drew Brees will stay and second-year pro Philip Rivers could be had -- for the right price. For the Jets, that price could be three-time Pro Bowl DE John Abraham.

In a possible precursor to moving Rivers this off-season, the Chargers yesterday acquired QB A.J. Feeley from the Dolphins just before the trading deadline. San Diego also received a sixth-round pick. The Chargers want a capable backup behind Brees before dealing Rivers.Also, there are rumblings that Abraham could be involved in a deal for Redskins QB Patrick Ramsey. Either G Randy Thomas or disgruntled LB LaVar Arrington could be packaged along with Ramsey.

The NFL trading deadline ended yesterday at 4 p.m.

Trade rumors are already swirling around Abraham because seven weeks into the season the Jets are no closer to signing him to a long-term deal than they were when he reported to training camp after a long holdout, according to someone with knowledge of the situation.Rivers and Ramsey are likely on the Jets' short list in their search for a potential franchise quarterback to challenge Chad Pennington and his twice surgically repaired shoulder in training camp next summer. Of course, the Jets could also draft a quarterback or acquire one via free agency.

The Chargers, who have already paid Rivers $14.5 million in bonuses, are said to be looking for a veteran starter and cash in exchange for Rivers, whose base salary is only $615,000 in 2006. One of their biggest needs is a pass-rusher and Abraham could be their guy.San Diego, however, would have to pay Abraham a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $20 million and it may balk at that.Money, however, is no object for Redskins owner Daniel Synder. He and the Jets have done business in the past (WR Santana Moss for WR Laveranues Coles this past off-season). Also, the Redskins signed Jets free agents Coles, Thomas, John Hall and Chad Morton.

The Redskins are looking to jettison Ramsey and Arrington, and the Jets would likely welcome Thomas back for their shaky offensive line. Even before center Kevin Mawae (torn tricep) was hurt, the Jets were in the market for a guard.Now, with starting left guard Pete Kendall moving to center, the Jets' need for a veteran guard has intensified.

> http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?...6260.xml&coll=1

Why post an article about a potnetial trade the day after the trade deadline? Absolutley pointless to speculate about a John Abraham trade anytime beyond this Monday since he's proven he's more likely to get a season ending injury than anybody else on the field.

LOL! That Redskins deal sounds horrible.

How could we get LaVar Arrington with his big contract?!? Randy Thomas isnt anything special at all, and would just give us another overpaid Olineman who's average. No thanks.

Abraham for Rivers? Chargers would have to throw in a 4th rd pick, IMO. I'd rathet trade a future 1st rd pick (in 2007 and a 3rd rd pick in this years draft) for Rivers, in the offseason.

If I understood the article right (and it's totally possible that the writer is a dumbass and miswrote), the trade would be Abe for Ramsey, Arrington, and Randy Thomas. How that would work, I have no clue. I figure that the combined salaries of the three equal the salary of the one. Abe's salary (with no bonuses) is roughly 7 million bucks. I'm not sure of the base salaries of Ramsey, Arrington, and Thomas, let alone of what they are together.

All in all, it doesn't matter, since, as it's been stated by others in this thread, the deadline has passed. But, this is the Redskins, and they somehow get by the rules.

Abe for Ramsey/Arrington is a heist on our part. Is Ramsey a franchise quarterback? No. But I'd rather take a chance on Ramsey putting it all together, as well as getting an all-world linebacker than to trade Abe straight up for a player that hasn't done jack sh*t. I just don't understand the hard-on some of you have for Phillip "I've played half a game of real football, and I throw like I'm retarded" Rivers.

Abe for Ramsey/Arrington is a heist on our part. Is Ramsey a franchise quarterback? No. But I'd rather take a chance on Ramsey putting it all together, as well as getting an all-world linebacker than to trade Abe straight up for a player that hasn't done jack Sh#t. I just don't understand the hard-on some of you have for Phillip "I've played half a game of real football, and I throw like I'm retarded" Rivers.

I can explain the hard on. First, he's different. Second he has "potential". I've seen it before on HFBoards, where they've got the same hard on for Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Steve Praise, and any other rookie, junior player, or anyone under the age of 25 in the NHL.

If the Jets pull off a trade for a QB this offseason that costs a #1 pick or a player of Abe's caliber (whom I think is one of the two best on D) then it will surely be the final nail in the coffin for Bradyway and Co.

Although hopefully they are not around to screw that up.

Maybe you guys should get ole (well, not old at all) Schaubby.

It'd give us some draft picks to work with and get rid of all the Vick vs Schaub debates.

I have a serious question.

Why is it that the Falcons win with Vick and he puts up horrible stats. Yet you lose with Schaub and he puts up good stats. It is not like Vick just has bad games. The guy throws for 70 yards and wins. It defies logic.

Why is it that the Falcons win with Vick and he puts up horrible stats. Yet you lose with Schaub and he puts up good stats. It is not like Vick just has bad games. The guy throws for 70 yards and wins. It defies logic.

Vick brings many things that can't be recorded by stats. When he's in, the defense has to play at home and have some of their players dedicated to contain; naturally, this opens running lanes and makes Warrick Dunn's job that much easier.

Vick is a deadly, deadly third down player because he is a threat to break out a first down with his feet or his arm. Schaub had some beautiful passes, but for the most part of the Patriots game we had lots of trouble with third and long.

As a result, our defense is rested and ready to go. Although in the Patriots game, our Pass defense was terrible, so I blame that loss more on the defense than on Schaub. Schaub actually came back to tie the game; our defense couldn't stop Brady at all.

I was wondering the same thing this past weekend.

Oh, and I'd take Schaub in a NY minute if he came at a decent cost in picks/players.

Oh, and I'd take Schaub in a NY minute if he came at a decent cost in picks/players.

McKay and co. seem to want a first rounder and nothing less though. I guess he understands the worth of a capable backup QB when your starter is Michael Vick (*COUGH* 2003 *COUGH*) but eventually Schaub will want to start.

I just don't understand the hard-on some of you have for Phillip "I've played half a game of real football, and I throw like I'm retarded" Rivers.

He does throw funky, but so did Marino and if I recall, Bernie Kosar. Yeah, he flings it almost sidearm, but in college he was pretty accurate and almost never got balls batted down. How he does it, I dunno. I definately don't have a hard-on for the guy, but I think he'll be right up there in a few years.

• 2 months later...

(BUMP)

This is something I'd like the Jets to look into.

John Abraham for Lavar Arrington and Ramsey.

Bryan Thomas can start in this league and be more than decent, IMO.

Adding Lavar Arrington to a LBer corps with Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton!?!

Hands down, the best LB corps in the NFL.

Barton can play SSLB. Vilma in the middle. Arrington WSLB. The 3 horseman!

Dline

Ellis--GRADY JACKSON--Drob--Thomas

LBer

Barton---Vilma---Arrington

DBs

Law/Miller, Barrett

Rhodes, Coleman

This would give us a much improved defense and lowers the cap because Arrington makes less than Abraham. Not sure how much Ramsey makes though....

(BUMP)

Dline

LBer

DBs

Law/Miller, Barrett

Rhodes, Coleman

This would give us a much improved defense and lowers the cap because Arrington makes less than Abraham. Not sure how much Ramsey makes though....

only problem I see with this is that Ramsey sucks

(BUMP)

Dline

LBer

DBs

Law/Miller, Barrett

Rhodes, Coleman

barton, you really think the Jets are going to pay Law $11 million to extend his contract? :shock:

And please don't give me that crap "Law will renegotiate his contract to make it cap-friendly" so he can remain a NY Jet.

You're not that naive, are you? :shock:

(BUMP)

barton - you and TB are like 2 peas in a pod, trading for players that are going to be released (see Jolley, Doug). Arrington is going to be released and I think Ramsey is a FA or RFA.

Why on earth would the jets trade for 2 players who could be had for nothing?

barton - you and TB are like 2 peas in a pod, trading for players that are going to be released (see Jolley, Doug). Arrington is going to be released and I think Ramsey is a FA or RFA.

Why on earth would the jets trade for 2 players who could be had for nothing?

for the same reason someone would trade for abe, who almost everyone knows the jets probably can't afford next year.

thats still assuming TB cuts guys such as law, fabini, fiedler for sure...and probably one of mawae, drob, or curtis

lets be realistic...mawae and curtis MIGHT restructure, simply b/c they are those kinds of guys...no one else is going to, and from what everyone has been saying...shaving 2-3 mil off by signing abe to a long term deal isnt going to help enough...keep in mind we absolutely HAVE to sign another guard...and we really need another DT and CB IMO....and thats not even getting into our QB or RB issues

so no...we really can't afford him...as i was told earlier when i asked...we can get out of this cap fiasco that seems to be on the horizon...but its gonna take some great work by our gm....too bad we have TB

for the same reason someone would trade for abe, who almost everyone knows the jets probably can't afford next year.

it's actually more like someone trading for Ty Law. everybody knows the jets are going to turn him loose when his bonus comes due.

the jets will NOT let j abe walk for nothing. no chance.

You'd be suprised...

TX.

"Law/Miller" means Law or Miller. Most likely Miller, which I have no problem with. If ty law has to go, so be it.

stormshadow. keep me out of your future replys, I've had enough to do with you. You're stupid and annoying. Stop talking to me.

fo block:

I seriously doubt the skins will flat out release Arrington. Where have you heard this?

Ramsey is just a bonus in this deal. I would make Arrington for Abraham as a straight up deal. Ramsey, imo has potential. I wouldnt mind getting Randy Thomas, but he makes alot of money, so it probably would not be cap possible.

Thomas + Arrington > Abraham + Hobson

TX.

"Law/Miller" means Law or Miller. Most likely Miller, which I have no problem with. If ty law has to go, so be it.

stormshadow. keep me out of your future replys, I've had enough to do with you. You're stupid and annoying. Stop talking to me.

Awwww.... the 17 year old called me stupid and annoying... I'm heartbroken.

Listen kid, just because you got caught in a lie and was made to look like the idiot you are, doesn't mean you have to lash out. Just grin and bear it. It's what we all do.

fo block:

I seriously doubt the skins will flat out release Arrington. Where have you heard this?

Ramsey is just a bonus in this deal. I would make Arrington for Abraham as a straight up deal. Ramsey, imo has potential. I wouldnt mind getting Randy Thomas, but he makes alot of money, so it probably would not be cap possible.

Thomas + Arrington > Abraham + Hobson

arrington was on the bench for a good portion of the season, he has also been hurt for much of his redskin career. he is due a huge $$ bonus this summer and will have to restructure to stay or will be released. the redskins are not going to pay another huge bonus to a part-time player. he is not even the best lb on the team.

arrington is a shell of the player he used to be

arrington has always been one of the most overrated players in the nfl living off his college reputation and a few big plays more than anything he did consistently w/the redskins.

he does not fit with g williams defensive scheme and is repeatedly out of position which williams does not tolerate.

arrington is a shell of the player he used to be

Redskins | Arrington talks about stepping away from football

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:48:39 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins LB LaVar Arrington knows his days with the Redskins may be coming to an end. Surprisingly, Arrington is not sure he wants to play football for any team after this season. "It's not a given that I'll continue playing if the Redskins get rid of me," Arrington says. "I don't really want to play for anyone else. I don't feel bad about it. I've had my time. I'm capable of doing other things besides football." Arrington says an 18-month dispute over a $6.5 million bonus in the contract extension he signed two years ago poisoned his relationship with team owner Dan Snyder, then the rest of the organization. Arrington is due $12 million in 2006, and he likely will be cut before a July 15 deadline in his contract that calls for him to be paid $6.5 million if he still is on the roster. Arrington still hopes to experience the thrill of a journey into postseason this season. "I'm still a part of this team, and we're having a winning season," he said. "If I get a Super Bowl ring, I could really feel good about leaving this game."

Archived