To the "LT is done" crowd....

Jetsfan80

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You lost me here. One highlight has one play that goes for what looks like exactly 20 yards and that's the most impressive run on it. The other one on Thomas Jones has a handful of long runs that are really rather quite impressive.

first of all if you can't see with your own eyes how slow TJ is then idk what to tell you. second.....yeah there were some decent runs in the video. none of which inviolved TJ breaking tackles or juking a defender out of his shoes. they were all set up with great blocking. and all pretty much involving Tj getting chased down because he is pretty slow for an nfl rb. don't get me wrong, Tj was a good player for us. but LT still has more athleticism. he is faster, has more shake, can break more tackles and can actually catch a football out of the backfield. there's a reason sproles had a crap season last year too. what those TJ highlights don't show is the seemingly endless number of times he went down on first contact with an arm tackle.....or failed to push a pile forward. TJ had grand canyon sized holes to run through. when shonne green would come into a game there was a night and day difference in the results of a running play. the 3 yd gains would suddenly transform into 9-10 yd gains with a lb'er or a safety getting trucked in the process. i think fin fans are going to be unpleasantly surprised by how good LT looks in this offense behind this o-line. this isn't even homerism...i wanted TJ benched alot earlier last season than when it finally happened.

first of all if you can't see with your own eyes how slow TJ is then idk what to tell you. second.....yeah there were some decent runs in the video. none of which inviolved TJ breaking tackles or juking a defender out of his shoes. they were all set up with great blocking. and all pretty much involving Tj getting chased down because he is pretty slow for an nfl rb. don't get me wrong, Tj was a good player for us. but LT still has more athleticism. he is faster, has more shake, can break more tackles and can actually catch a football out of the backfield. there's a reason sproles had a crap season last year too. what those TJ highlights don't show is the seemingly endless number of times he went down on first contact with an arm tackle.....or failed to push a pile forward. TJ had grand canyon sized holes to run through. when shonne green would come into a game there was a night and day difference in the results of a running play. the 3 yd gains would suddenly transform into 9-10 yd gains with a lb'er or a safety getting trucked in the process. i think fin fans are going to be unpleasantly surprised by how good LT looks in this offense behind this o-line. this isn't even homerism...i wanted TJ benched alot earlier last season than when it finally happened.

Alright man, fair enough.

LT isn't done...I think he ends up being our most valuable regular season RB....if TJ can be a solid starting RB behind our OL, then Ladanian f'ing Tomlinson can proooooobably pull it off.

My prediction for RB carries splits for the regular season:

LT - 200-300

Greene - 150-200

Knight - 40-75

We're probably not running as much as we did last year (607). LT won't get the carries because of his name or anything. It's entirely because he's proven to be an NFL workhorse. Greene will (hopefully) pick up a few things, but his durability is suspect at best. Guy started one college season and last year he only got 162 total carries (108 regular season). I know many will run to "fresh legs," but true workhorse RBs are going to have elite amongst elite conditioning. I'm not even sure Greene could fund that, yet.

Alright man, fair enough.

all you have to do is look at TJ 2007:

310 attempts

1119 yds

1 td

did he suddenly become a great rb at 30 years old? or was it the fact that our o-line became much better? faneca, while declining, did a great job of being the glue that held the left side of our line together as our center developed into the best in the league and our LT developed into one of the top guys in the league as well. unfortunately he declined too much and became an actual liability in pass protection and also the weakest run blocker on the line as well. this ducasse kid has the skill-set and gets to plug in between 2 of the best linemen at their positions.....and will be coached by maybe the best in the business as far as o-line coaches go. for the first time in a long time the jets have a great coaching staff (although i'm not too fond of the OC.....). it's nice to have trust in your coaching staff again. if i had to guess i'd say that the jets will likely have the best defense in the league again and that ther offense will be much more productive......with better balance due to no longer having to field a rookie qb and an amazingly talented receiving corps including braylon, cotch, santonio and keller....being able to put out that type of depth and still have a guy like tomlinson coming out of the backfield as a legit receiving threat, or a bulldozer like greene is going to be tough on opposing defenses.

all you have to do is look at TJ 2007:

310 attempts

1119 yds

1 td

did he suddenly become a great rb at 30 years old? or was it the fact that our o-line became much better? faneca, while declining, did a great job of being the glue that held the left side of our line together as our center developed into the best in the league and our LT developed into one of the top guys in the league as well. unfortunately he declined too much and became an actual liability in pass protection and also the weakest run blocker on the line as well. this ducasse kid has the skill-set and gets to plug in between 2 of the best linemen at their positions.....and will be coached by maybe the best in the business as far as o-line coaches go. for the first time in a long time the jets have a great coaching staff (although i'm not too fond of the OC.....). it's nice to have trust in your coaching staff again. if i had to guess i'd say that the jets will likely have the best defense in the league again and that ther offense will be much more productive......with better balance due to no longer having to field a rookie qb and an amazingly talented receiving corps including braylon, cotch, santonio and keller....being able to put out that type of depth and still have a guy like tomlinson coming out of the backfield as a legit receiving threat, or a bulldozer like greene is going to be tough on opposing defenses.

As I said man Fair enough although my last memories of LT was him sulking on the sideline of the 2007 AFC championship game with a sprained toe while his QB played the entire game with a torn ACL.

I'm going to say something and if you repeat It I will deny it. If you quote me I will simply say my post was tampered with. But when I think of playing you guys I think of a toe to toe grudge match. I think of two tough teams trying to knock the other team out. I'm sorry but IMHO LT is soft. I'm glad you guys picked him up.

Same with Cromartie BTW. He played a completely gutless game against you guys last year. So much so you guys spent a week or so making fun of him. I'm just not sure how these two are going to make you better.

Shonn Green is the starting RB for the 2010 NY Jets LaDanian Tomlinson's role will be mostly as a pass catcher out of the backfield on 3rd downs and maybe 175-200 carries and hopefully 60 catches-Thomas Jones for as big and tough and bulky as he is would consistently go down on first contact gaining maybe a yard or 2 and leaving us in 2nd an 8's or 9's or 3rd and 7's way too many times-AND he couldn't catch a pass to save his life. We all loved the guy but let's be honest here-we all saw the same thing

Not trying to be a dick, honestly I'm not but in that video he only has one 20 yard run the rest are actually pretty lackluster.

Yards or 6 point? hmmmmm .. Yup... I take the touchdowns.

and with the dick part.... you just can't help it.. you are a Fin fan.

:box:

Ok then is he an upgrade over Thomas Jones?

eoKAJnUU9hY

I hate to even admit it but those are some real highlights.

I respect the hell outta Thomas Jones - he's a professional in all senses of the word. LT, in my opinion, will have a similar or better highlight reel after this season if he gets anything close the the blocking that TJ got in that video. The edges the Jets OLine set were actual edges - hit'em and you're free for 15 yards - and they developed a lot quicker than anything San Diego's line showed in the LT video. The holes the Jets line provided for TJ are non-existent for LT in his video - if LT hits them the way he was hitting the smaller holes in his video, you will see a lot more 15-20 runs for LT this coming season. I'd have liked to keep Jones around, but LT is in no way a step backward (on the field at least) from Jones.

As I said man Fair enough although my last memories of LT was him sulking on the sideline of the 2007 AFC championship game with a sprained toe while his QB played the entire game with a torn ACL.

I'm going to say something and if you repeat It I will deny it. If you quote me I will simply say my post was tampered with. But when I think of playing you guys I think of a toe to toe grudge match. I think of two tough teams trying to knock the other team out. I'm sorry but IMHO LT is soft. I'm glad you guys picked him up.

Same with Cromartie BTW. He played a completely gutless game against you guys last year. So much so you guys spent a week or so making fun of him. I'm just not sure how these two are going to make you better.

there is the chance that they don't work out. i just don't think thats what will happen. part of winning is the winning attitude. yogi berra was right when he said 90% of the game is half mental. love him or hate him, and i know fins fans think he's an obnoxious windbag....but ryan has instilled a real winning atmosphere for this team. i expect to see tomlinson and cromartie adopt this same attitude and swagger. cromartie did bitch out in the play-off game.......there's no denying it. i'm hoping that gets turned around now that he's playing for the jets. i guess we'll see what happens. the chargers never struck me as a tough team. a very talented team that isn't easy to beat, yes....but not a tough hard-nosed team. the dolphins also strike me as a tough team....i think you guys are going to be tough to beat honestly. personally i thinkyou season really hinges on 2 things. ronnie brown and the defense not being such a swiss cheese defense like it was last year.

I respect the hell outta Thomas Jones - he's a professional in all senses of the word. LT, in my opinion, will have a similar or better highlight reel after this season if he gets anything close the the blocking that TJ got in that video. The edges the Jets OLine set were actual edges - hit'em and you're free for 15 yards - and they developed a lot quicker than anything San Diego's line showed in the LT video. The holes the Jets line provided for TJ are non-existent for LT in his video - if LT hits them the way he was hitting the smaller holes in his video, you will see a lot more 15-20 runs for LT this coming season. I'd have liked to keep Jones around, but LT is in no way a step backward (on the field at least) from Jones.

It's going to be a great year to watch football =)

there is the chance that they don't work out. i just don't think thats what will happen. part of winning is the winning attitude. yogi berra was right when he said 90% of the game is half mental. love him or hate him, and i know fins fans think he's an obnoxious windbag....but ryan has instilled a real winning atmosphere for this team. i expect to see tomlinson and cromartie adopt this same attitude and swagger. cromartie did bitch out in the play-off game.......there's no denying it. i'm hoping that gets turned around now that he's playing like a Jet. i guess we'll see what happens. the chargers never struck me as a tough team. a very talented team that isn't easy to beat, yes....but not a tough hard-nosed team. the dolphins also strike me as a tough team....i think you guys are going to be tough to beat honestly. personally i thinkyou season really hinges on 2 things. ronnie brown and the defense not being such a swiss cheese defense like it was last year.

Fixed that for ya!

there is the chance that they don't work out. i just don't think thats what will happen. part of winning is the winning attitude. yogi berra was right when he said 90% of the game is half mental. love him or hate him, and i know fins fans think he's an obnoxious windbag....but ryan has instilled a real winning atmosphere for this team. i expect to see tomlinson and cromartie adopt this same attitude and swagger. cromartie did bitch out in the play-off game.......there's no denying it. i'm hoping that gets turned around now that he's playing for the jets. i guess we'll see what happens. the chargers never struck me as a tough team. a very talented team that isn't easy to beat, yes....but not a tough hard-nosed team. the dolphins also strike me as a tough team....i think you guys are going to be tough to beat honestly. personally i thinkyou season really hinges on 2 things. ronnie brown and the defense not being such a swiss cheese defense like it was last year.

Thank you,

Ronnie's recovery isn't going to be an issue though. What hes recovering from (lisfranc) has an extremely high success rate. He's already participating in OTA's and has looked good. So that leaves us with our defense and you're 100% correct. Everything is hinging on its success for us this year.

Going to stop it there as I don't want to derail the thread any further.

Im a Fin fan and I love Rex Ryan as a coach, I think the way he handles his players and the media is something that gives his team an edge, as opposed to Sparano whose sole priority seems to be to not say anyhing at all.

Having said that, I've seen enough of L.T. over the past few years, and I'd suggest getting Game Rewind instead of trying to base an opinion off of a 2 minute highlight tape. L.T. still runs hard in the red zone, but between the 20's he runs like an old man. Granted, he'll have much better blocking this year so I expect an improvement on 3.3 ypc, dont like him as a 3rd down back though, he's not a good blitz pickerupper. He's not "done" by any means, but overall Im less worried about you guys' running game now that LWash and Jones are gone. Your defense is great, and can be scary if Cro and Wilson can play well. Thats what worries me.

As for us, Landshark gave the run down, Ronnie will be fine by training camp and the regular season, same for Marshall. My concern is the defense, our front 7 is a work in progress, at best. No SOLB, No WOLB, Starks is a question mark as a full time NT, dunno who's gonna play FS, I dont like Merling as a starter at RDE, and I wont be comfortable with Odrick (or any rookie) until I see them play. Other than that we're ready :box:.

gm johnson, you're the first fins supporter thus far that's offered opinion without insult, insight without fins-sight and analysis without analish-ness. We've got a few Chowds from up north that've offered something positive to the commuity (Garb is cheeky, Gainzo is like, foreign-cool), but I think most Fins folks have come here to be jackasses. You've been the exception thus far. well done.

Dan Marino gave my sister herpes, by the way. He is full of the herpes. Just so you know.

Still, you're ok in my book.

gm johnson, you're the first fins supporter thus far that's offered opinion without insult, insight without fins-sight and analysis without analish-ness. We've got a few Chowds from up north that've offered something positive to the commuity (Garb is cheeky, Gainzo is like, foreign-cool), but I think most Fins folks have come here to be jackasses. You've been the exception thus far. well done.

Dan Marino gave my sister herpes, by the way. He is full of the herpes. Just so you know.

Thx man, I've been greeted pretty rudely so far and Im already on a couple of ignore lists, so its nice to see someone who's more welcoming. Truth is, I like the Jets, mostly because of Ryan, but also b/c of style. I love the "we're gonna kick your @ss and we'll say it to your face, on camera", attitude. NFL is overrun with boring, the "Lions/Rams/Bucs are great we better play our best etc etc" type teams so Ryans attitude makes things interesting, and it definitely puts games vs. the Jets alot more interesting and fun to watch. Dont get me wrong, I still wanna beat u guys 100-0, but I have a ton of respect for you guys nonetheless.

I think you mean Landshark, Sirlancemehlot. Landshark.

I think LT is going to have 500 plus yards rushing, 500 plus yards receiving and 10 plus total TDs and could they have found a worse ****ing song for that vid?

Sorry. It was the best 2009-10 video of LT I could come up with. Anything from before last year would have been irrelevant to how he might perform as a Jet in 2010-11.

Yeah and a ton of Thomas Jones crappy runs ended in the endzone, too. So what?

Anyway Thomas Jones >>>>> LT

The first complaint was that only one run was over 20 yards. 6 yard TD > 20 yard run. How much further is he supposed to run after he gets in the end zone?

TJ's crappy runs ended in the end zone in 2008 and 2009, but before that he never hit double digits. Great year, good year or **** year LT gets that every year. At a minimum he should be good at the goal or short yardage whether you think he's a ***** or not.

Im a Fin fan and I love Rex Ryan as a coach, I think the way he handles his players and the media is something that gives his team an edge, as opposed to Sparano whose sole priority seems to be to not say anyhing at all.

Having said that, I've seen enough of L.T. over the past few years, and I'd suggest getting Game Rewind instead of trying to base an opinion off of a 2 minute highlight tape. L.T. still runs hard in the red zone, but between the 20's he runs like an old man. Granted, he'll have much better blocking this year so I expect an improvement on 3.3 ypc, dont like him as a 3rd down back though, he's not a good blitz pickerupper. He's not "done" by any means, but overall Im less worried about you guys' running game now that LWash and Jones are gone. Your defense is great, and can be scary if Cro and Wilson can play well. Thats what worries me.

As for us, Landshark gave the run down, Ronnie will be fine by training camp and the regular season, same for Marshall. My concern is the defense, our front 7 is a work in progress, at best. No SOLB, No WOLB, Starks is a question mark as a full time NT, dunno who's gonna play FS, I dont like Merling as a starter at RDE, and I wont be comfortable with Odrick (or any rookie) until I see them play. Other than that we're ready :box:.

well first of all....idk if sparano acts the way he does because that's his style or because it's parcells' style. i tend to believe that megalomaniac parcells has put the kibash on public speaking for everyone in the organization. that said....it remains to be seen what will happen with our running game. but TJ was by no means a great rb. he was adequate but completely unspectacular. a great rb would have gotten 2000 yds on this team easily last year. Greene/LT>TJ/Greene. losing washington sucks......i'll admit it. but after that injury, and having to play with a rod in his leg....he will likely never be the the same washington. which is unfortunate because he was a great player for us. if he does get back to 100% then good for him. but i can understand why the front office didn't want to take the gamble.

Shonn Green is the starting RB for the 2010 NY Jets LaDanian Tomlinson's role will be mostly as a pass catcher out of the backfield on 3rd downs and maybe 175-200 carries and hopefully 60 catches-Thomas Jones for as big and tough and bulky as he is would consistently go down on first contact gaining maybe a yard or 2 and leaving us in 2nd an 8's or 9's or 3rd and 7's way too many times-AND he couldn't catch a pass to save his life. We all loved the guy but let's be honest here-we all saw the same thing

That's thinking with your dipstick, Jimmeh!

Kidding aside, you could not be more correct. LT is not replacing TJ. Green is replacing TJ as the starter. LT will be filling a back up role that he is still well suited for and TJ was not.

This video tells me a few things...

1.) LT doesn't have that "run away from the defender" speed he once had.

2.) LT does NOT go down on first contact.

3.) LT has great vision and shiftiness still, allowing him to get the most out of his blockers and the holes they create (which bodes well behind the Jets O-line and T-Rich).

I'm not worried, he is after all our #2 RB.

This video tells me a few things...

1.) LT doesn't have that "run away from the defender" speed he once had.

2.) LT does NOT go down on first contact.

3.) LT has great vision and shiftiness still, allowing him to get the most out of his blockers and the holes they create (which bodes well behind the Jets O-line and T-Rich).

I'm not worried, he is after all our #2 RB.

no but he still has more speed than jones does.

no but he still has more speed than jones does.

Agreed.

Also, see #2 from my post.

Watching Jones get brought down by first contact (sometimes this means him running into his own blockers) when there are huge holes that he just couldn't get through at the 2nd level after Greene left the Colts game was unbearable.

We lost the Colts game because Lowery and Coleman could not cover Collie and Garcon... and because Thomas Jones could not capitalize on the huge running lanes the way that Greene did throughout the whole post-season.

People seem to forget that the Jets were very one-dimensional in their run... defense, no mistakes from Sanchez and Shonn Greene.

They fixed the secondary, they shuffled the running game, they got us the weapons to play shoot-out in games where we get behind, and they further improved the defense... quite frankly I am amazed that the Jets were so easily able to succinctly address each of the key weak spots on this team, leaving us little to grumble about other than the projections on LADANIAN TOMLINSON AS OUR #2 RB (say that out loud) and our FG kicker.

Archived