Right now...who would you rather have.....

sirlancemehlot

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I hate Jason Taylor, he can help the team far more than an idiot kicker. My guess is if the coaching staff doesn't see enough improvement out of Folk, we'll go get Matt Stover or some other rejected kicker.

The difference between Feely and unknown kicker is not as wide of a gap as there is between Taylor and our other options. Feely couldn't make the kicks when they mattered, and much like the rest of the league does, we kicked him to the curb. Unless you have an "elite" kicker (are there any?), they're pretty interchangable.

Much rather have Taylor on 3rd downs to help improve the D in a weak area and help make sure we don't NEED last minute FG's to put a team away.

FEELY.

I think the Jets are going to learn that there was a reason the Dolphins let Taylor go. Rex made an oops on this one.

Just as there's a reason the Jets let Feely go. Can't make clutch kicks. At least Taylor had 6 sacks last season.

FEELY.

I think the Jets are going to learn that there was a reason the Dolphins let Taylor go. Rex made an oops on this one.

Parcells doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt on personnel moves.

He traded 2 second round pics and gave a $50 million contract to a WR whom he didn't know was having his second hip surgery.

Taylor by a mile. It's not just that Feely is a kicker, it's that despite belief around here, he's a pretty mediocre kicker. He's made a career out of playing his worst when he's needed the most, and it's the number one reason he's no longer a Jet. Not to mention his kickoffs were horrendous. It wasn't a coincidence that the Jets kickoff coverage woes began just as he took over. How quickly we all forgot that Feely was picked up week 2 of the regular season back in 08. If it's not Folk, then there will be some other kicker to pick off the scrap pile who can do just as well. Meanwhile with Taylor, over the hill or not, you can't just pickup pass rushers from the street whenever you feel like you need a new one.

Taylor by a mile. It's not just that Feely is a kicker, it's that despite belief around here, he's a pretty mediocre kicker. He's made a career out of playing his worst when he's needed the most, and it's the number one reason he's no longer a Jet. Not to mention his kickoffs were horrendous. It wasn't a coincidence that the Jets kickoff coverage woes began just as he took over. How quickly we all forgot that Feely was picked up week 2 of the regular season back in 08. If it's not Folk, then there will be some other kicker to pick off the scrap pile who can do just as well. Meanwhile with Taylor, over the hill or not, you can't just pickup pass rushers from the street whenever you feel like you need a new one.

I liked Feely, but I am surprised how overrated his mediocrity was to Jet fans. Perhaps it was the "hold your breath" feeling everytime Nugent or Brien kicked.

Feely was pretty reliable on the routine kicks, but he crapped the bet in big spots in his career. People ignore his 2 misses against the Colts because the Jets lost by more than 6 points, but those FGs attempts would have changed the complexion of the game if they were made.

And like BG and others, I would definitely take Taylor over Feely. Taylor has a specific team needed skill while Feely is a journeyman kicker at best.

I liked Feely, but I am surprised how overrated his mediocrity was to Jet fans. Perhaps it was the "hold your breath" feeling everytime Nugent or Brien kicked.

Feely was pretty reliable on the routine kicks, but he crapped the bet in big spots in his career. People ignore his 2 misses against the Colts because the Jets lost by more than 6 points, but those FGs attempts would have changed the complexion of the game if they were made.

And like BG and others, I would definitely take Taylor over Feely. Taylor has a specific team needed skill while Feely is a journeyman kicker at best.

No one is ignoring that Feely missed a 52 yard FG attempt and a 44 yard FG attempt while making a 48 yard FG. Thats a quality performance.

Tuna also let Keyshawn go, and Bray Edwards is the closest we've come so far to replacing him, finally, which isn't very close.

Losing Feely was a huge gamble on Rex's part. Those who say kickers are easily replaced are referring to the supply of mediocre kickers, and Feely was well above mediocre. We're a lesser team until he's fully replaced.

Hopefully Taylor will make a positive difference for us. Again, if Gholston wasn't such a sackless sh!tbag ... yada yada ... we wouldn't need the Taylor experiment and a new kicker.

Missing two out of three is a quality performance?

Missing a 52 yarder means nothing. It wasn't a good decision to even try it from that range. No reason to blame the kicker, I doubt Folk will do any better at 52 yard FGs.

Missing a 44 yard FG doesn't look good but making a 48 yard FG balances that out. He got 3 tries and 2 of the tries were from too far out. Not the kicker's fault.

Taylor can still play, regardless of what the trolls tell you. He's a beast and will still be able to dominate next year in this defense. Comparing his value to a kicker is laughable, he's one of the most valuable players on the team. He's going to bring something we really didn't have last season - A legitimate pass rushing threat from the outside.

Missing a 52 yarder means nothing. It wasn't a good decision to even try it from that range. No reason to blame the kicker, I doubt Folk will do any better at 52 yard FGs.

Missing a 44 yard FG doesn't look good but making a 48 yard FG balances that out. He got 3 tries and 2 of the tries were from too far out. Not the kicker's fault.

Explain the Atlanta game then, where he missed a chippy and had one blocked. Without the extraordinary circumstances that vaulted us into the postseason, that game would have been the reason we missed out, and Feely was a big reason we lost it.

I can't believe we're still whining about the kicker. Kickers are picked up as UDFA's all the time. There are always kickers sitting at home waiting for a phone call. Most teams have two kickers right now, and by the end of the summer 30 more kickers will be out of work. If Folk sh!t's the bed, the Jets can sign the best of those 30.

I hate Jason Taylor, but he's going to help this defense. The Jets are going to move him around, get him free, and he will pressure and sack the QB for us. He should be particularly effective against the fish, I imagine.

And Feely will... what? Make a tackle on a KO once in a while?

I can't believe the folk hero this guy became around here.

I can't believe we're still whining about the kicker. Kickers are picked up as UDFA's all the time. There are always kickers sitting at home waiting for a phone call. Most teams have two kickers right now, and by the end of the summer 30 more kickers will be out of work. If Folk sh!t's the bed, the Jets can sign the best of those 30.

I hate Jason Taylor, but he's going to help this defense. The Jets are going to move him around, get him free, and he will pressure and sack the QB for us. He should be particularly effective against the fish, I imagine.

The thing that makes it so odd is it's not even like Feely is a good kicker. He's made a career out of playing his worst when needed the most and did the same with the Jets. And for everyone who loves him so much, your point about how many available kickers there are still rings true, as Feely wasn't picked up by the Jets until after the regular season began.

And for those people who think getting a scrap-pile kicker will forever doom us, you should just ask the Saints and Colts how that worked out for them last year.

Lots of kickers can make 52 yarders.......

There's always some run-of-the-mill player that message board fans need to canonize... look at the bright side, there hasn't been a David Clowney thread since Feely signed with Arizona.

For the most part, kickers are all year to year guys. There was a time when Vanderjagdt was the cream of the crop and nobody else could even measure. Hell, Martin Gramatica used to be a stud. Kickers are generally streaky from season to season, so what they did last year has no real bearing on what they'll do this year. Losing Feely doesn't phase me, although I'm not a fan of Folk.

There's no such thing as "balancing out" in missing a FG. You can't make up points lost.

Also, 52 yarder IN A FREAKIN' DOME is not a long kick. That's a mid 40s kick outdoors.

Explain the Atlanta game then, where he missed a chippy and had one blocked. Without the extraordinary circumstances that vaulted us into the postseason, that game would have been the reason we missed out, and Feely was a big reason we lost it.

As you conveniently ignore other games Feely kept us in and won for us.

More than half the Jets didn't show up for the Atlanta game.

For the most part, kickers are all year to year guys. There was a time when Vanderjagdt was the cream of the crop and nobody else could even measure. Hell, Martin Gramatica used to be a stud. Kickers are generally streaky from season to season, so what they did last year has no real bearing on what they'll do this year. Losing Feely doesn't phase me, although I'm not a fan of Folk.

+1

Even Stover was missing 25% of his attempts for 6 of his first 8 seasons. You can't really predict a kicker's career or when it will suddenly click. Guys who you'd bet anything to get bounced from the league, never to return again, turn into studs. And vice versa. And then in a random year, stud kickers are awful; then they're great again in another season.

Look at Nedney, Rackers, Akers, Wilkins, and a ton of others. Only a fool would think that Joe Nedney's NFL career wasn't over after his comical rookie year with Miami. Strong legged kicker who would have sucked that season if the goalposts were 20 yards wider. Then after getting cut by Miami and Arizona and Oakland and Denver, the guy becomes a stud (then inconsistent again, then a stud again).

Folk is just like that. Went from >90% inside 50 yards to >90% from anywhere on the field to total garbage. I wouldn't be surprised to see either under 70% or over 90% from him. You just don't know.

Feely. Not because he was good or anything (he was probably average at best) but because I am going to have a tough time rooting for Jason Taylor. I just cant stand the guy. Im sure if he plays well he'll grow on me, but I really cant stand him at all. I usually dont care about stuff like that, but he is the one FA signing we have made in the last 20 years that I just didnt like because hes been a jerk to all of us.

As you conveniently ignore other games Feely kept us in and won for us.

More than half the Jets didn't show up for the Atlanta game.

Tell me one game Feely won for us, please. Remember to factor in his poor kickoffs into the equation, considering that was a big reason we lost the second Miami game, too.

Then, follow that up by explaining to me how Feely would help us win MORE games than Taylor, assuming both put up similar production from last season (Taylor had 6 sacks).

Archived