The Official Jets On Hard Knocks Thread

Maxman

I try not to play the when I was your age game too much, actually. I was having a good ol' ****ed up time when I was young, and didn't listen to a word anyone had to say, but I still supported myself. I had my own place in high school. I've been grown up for a long time, too.

You also werent the QB of a contending team who's paying you millions of dollars to be the face of an organization.

Just sayin

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try not to play the when I was your age game too much, actually. I was having a good ol' ****ed up time when I was young, and didn't listen to a word anyone had to say, but I still supported myself. I had my own place in high school. I've been grown up for a long time, too.

I didn't see these complaints about him last week. One scene at the coach's table that I didn't like, either. I get that complaint. You seem to be equating that with some sort of defect that can't be fixed, and I just don't see that. I see a competitive kid who lets himself get too down when things don't go his way. I also see him and everyone around him working on that. Don't really see the reason for your emotional response to his emotional responses.

I guess because I was killing people when I was younger than he is and I can't seem to equate being immature playing a football game...but hey, that's just me like I said previously...he needs to man up in my book.

My take on the Sanchez debate:

EY can talk more about this more since he worked with HBO, but to me you have to understand the narrative. HBO/NFL films were telling a story with a given arc.

1. They show the scene of Schotty talking about Sanchez having the off-the-field success.

2. They showed Sanchez struggle in practice (note, they didn't show the good plays in practice), and Marty's commentary.

3. You see Sanchez sulk after making a mistake in practice.

4. You have Cavanaugh trying to tell a sulking Sanchez to man up during the meeting. Get angry and rebound from his mistakes.

5. You see the MNF game and Sanchez throwing the INT. Schotty & Cavanaugh are telling him to move on.

6. You see Sanchez telling the coaches that he has moved on from the mistake.

7. You see Sanchez throwing the TD.

In other words, we saw Sanchez struggle, coached on how to rebound from a mistake, and then Sanchez rebounded from a mistake.

That's pure story telling. It was all editted together for the story arc IMO. Thus, I think you guys are taking individual scenes or story elements out of context.

Slats...you should be an agent the way you defend these guys.

When I was 23 years old, NO WAY IN HELL, I would ever disrespect any authority figure of any type by digging through my purse while he is trying to help me become a better leader/man. I was brought up to give a man of authority your undivided attention and I was that way from my teenage years.

What Sanchez did in that meeting is unacceptable. If my father was watching that, even at 23 years old, he would have flown out to Courtland and whipped my a$$.

I think you're completely offbase, JiF, because we have no idea the context of the scene. We don't know what the discussion was before that. We don't know if Schotty told Sanchez, "I need X, Y, and Z playsheet" and Sanchez started looking through his bag while Cavanaugh was talking to him.

The scene was editted for HBO story telling reasons. To pass judgment on Sanchez and go off on him based on an editted piece of film is crazy to me. This isn't a spycam. This is pure story telling on the part of HBO.

That's pure story telling. It was all editted together for the story arc IMO. Thus, I think you guys are taking individual scenes or story elements out of context.

Well said. It's a reality show. This is what they do and I don't understand why in 2010 people wouldn't realize this. They shoot an obscene amount of footage and have to look for storylines to string together in order to create a "television show."

Hard Knocks is shot for entertainment. Not for scouting purposes.

Sanchez rebounded from a mistake.

That's pure story telling.

Superfluous portions omitted. How's this for a narrative arc:

1. Sanchez gets overconfident

2. Sanchez ****s up

3. Sanchez cries about it

4. Sanchez completes a pass to an uncovered receiver

5. Everybody gushes about how well he bounced back

6. Overconfidence restored

I think you're completely offbase, JiF, because we have no idea the context of the scene. We don't know what the discussion was before that. We don't know if Schotty told Sanchez, "I need X, Y, and Z playsheet" and Sanchez started looking through his bag while Cavanaugh was talking to him.

The scene was editted for HBO story telling reasons. To pass judgment on Sanchez and go off on him based on an editted piece of film is crazy to me. This isn't a spycam. This is pure story telling on the part of HBO.

If thats your stance, then I dont want to hear you interrupt any part of the show because its all edited for the sake of the story.

Bottom line, I dont care about the context. He was sulking, hiding under his baseball cap and his body language was such that he seemed annoyed by the conversation. I'm pretty sure I could handle grabbing something out of my bag (if instructed) and still give a superior the respect/attention they deserve while trying to make me a better player/leader/man. He literally didnt even acknowledge the fact he was being being spoken to by one of his coaches. He looked like he didnt want to be there and didnt care.

I'm not saying thats Sanchez because all signs point to the contrary, but he was acting exactly how they were telling him not to act during that scene...context means squat.

Superfluous portions omitted. How's this for a narrative arc:

1. Sanchez gets overconfident

2. Sanchez ****s up

3. Sanchez cries about it

4. Sanchez completes a pass to an uncovered receiver

5. Everybody gushes about how well he bounced back

6. Overconfidence restored

That works too, LOL!

And I agree...I was totally 100% against Mark Sanchez and I hope with all my heart he proves me wrong. And so far, I think he's shown me enough to make me think that will be the case.

Still, his body language/demeanor in the meeting was totally unacceptable. The fact its now recorded and televised for the world to see, isnt good either IMO.

Hopefully this is all just stepping stones, but there was no excuse for that...and if I was Cav or Schott, cameras or not, I would have tore him a new one.

You're making way too big a deal out of this.

You're making way too big a deal out of this.

I'm not making a big deal about anything. I said all signs point to the contrary.

Still, you dont act like that...its gay and lame. Man up and show some respect.

I'll tell you right now if I had a recruiter show me that type of disrespect while I was teaching them how to be better at their job...they would go home and wondering if they want to return to work the next day after the reaming I'd give them. No room for that type of sulking... especially as the face of an organization.

I'm not making a big deal about anything. I said all signs point to the contrary.

Still, you dont act like that...its gay and lame. Man up and show some respect.

I'll tell you right now if I had a recruiter show me that type of disrespect while I was teaching them how to be better at their job...they would go home and wondering if they want to return to work the next day after the reaming I'd give them. No room for that type of sulking... especially as the face of an organization.

At that moment, Sanchez wasn't being the face of the organization. Sanchez was a second-year QB in a meeting with his coaches.

The whole point of this show is to see these guys acting like there is no camera in the room, like they would act if they weren't being filmed for a reality show.

Sanchez doesn't have to be the face of the organization in that scenario, he's the young kid getting positive reinforcement from his coaches.

Like slats pointed out earlier, you don't know the context of the scene, for all we know Cavanaugh or Schotty asked Sanchez for something out of his bang just before that happened.

His looking through it certainly didn't seem to bother either one of them as I doubt either one would have been shy to ream him for it had they seen fit.

You're absolutely making a mountain out of a molehill based on a 30-second scene that was obviously shown push along the narrative arc the editors were trying to convey in the episode. Without seeing the 30 seconds before that or the 30 seconds after that you are jumping to incredible conclusions based on nothing.

At that moment, Sanchez wasn't being the face of the organization. Sanchez was a second-year QB in a meeting with his coaches.

The whole point of this show is to see these guys acting like there is no camera in the room, like they would act if they weren't being filmed for a reality show.

Sanchez doesn't have to be the face of the organization in that scenario, he's the young kid getting positive reinforcement from his coaches.

Like slats pointed out earlier, you don't know the context of the scene, for all we know Cavanaugh or Schotty asked Sanchez for something out of his bang just before that happened.

His looking through it certainly didn't seem to bother either one of them as I doubt either one would have been shy to ream him for it had they seen fit.

You're absolutely making a mountain out of a molehill based on a 30-second scene that was obviously shown push along the narrative arc the editors were trying to convey in the episode. Without seeing the 30 seconds before that or the 30 seconds after that you are jumping to incredible conclusions based on nothing.

What conclusion am I jumping to? You are making this much more than I am. I've made no conclusion, just stating what I saw and my belief there is no room for it.

Simple, dont act like a pussy and dont disrespect an authoritative figure. Thats all...no conclusions. Just man up.

What conclusion am I jumping to? You are making this much more than I am. I've made no conclusion, just stating what I saw and my belief there is no room for it.

Simple, dont act like a pussy and dont disrespect an authoritative figure. Thats all...no conclusions. Just man up.

CartmanAuthoritah-thumb.jpg

Dungy will get his in the end. Having his kid off himself while he was busy being classy and losing playoff games wasn't enough to get through that oddly-shaped skull, fine. Let's see what kind of book advance you get after you get busted trolling for ZJs in an airport men's room, you smug prude.

Rex blew a golden opportunity by going with the sob sister routine, though. Here's your retort: 'Tony Dungy said he wouldn't hire me? Considering how many interviews I did before I got this gig I'd say he's hardly alone there.' Cracks up the press room, marginalizes Dungy, and puts everybody's attention right back on the thank-you card for Bisciotti's shortsightedness that we're going to carve into Flacco's forehead in three weeks.

So true...so true...I just want to say that Tony Dungy ruining the cursing on Hard Knocks makes him a Class A c*nt. My jaw was on the floor watching Rex talking like he's not an a-hole who can catch football.

My take on the Sanchez debate:

EY can talk more about this more since he worked with HBO, but to me you have to understand the narrative. HBO/NFL films were telling a story with a given arc.

1. They show the scene of Schotty talking about Sanchez having the off-the-field success.

2. They showed Sanchez struggle in practice (note, they didn't show the good plays in practice), and Marty's commentary.

3. You see Sanchez sulk after making a mistake in practice.

4. You have Cavanaugh trying to tell a sulking Sanchez to man up during the meeting. Get angry and rebound from his mistakes.

5. You see the MNF game and Sanchez throwing the INT. Schotty & Cavanaugh are telling him to move on.

6. You see Sanchez telling the coaches that he has moved on from the mistake.

7. You see Sanchez throwing the TD.

In other words, we saw Sanchez struggle, coached on how to rebound from a mistake, and then Sanchez rebounded from a mistake.

I feel so manipulated.

The second episode of Jets on Hard Knocks aired last night on HBO. Overall the show was good but it lacked the level of excitement that the first level achieved. They showed less of Rex Ryan cursing so maybe that was the difference. We are Jets fans after all so most of us are potty mouths.

They episode opened with the old stadium and the Bruce Springsteen song Wrecking Ball. They showed some Jets and Giants clips. Parcells getting carried off the field by the Giants. I was surprised they didn’t also cut to a Parcells clip from the 1998 season with the Jets.

The main focus of episode # 2 was the Jets\Giants preseason game. One week to go, that was heard often throughout practice. They had a theme of the coaches being unhappy with the defense. Rex Ryan and Dennis Thurman (defensive backs) both talked to Bart Scott about the tempo and the young guys not studying enough as well as making excuses.

The players that were featured in this episode were:

* Joe McKnight: His coverage was not flattering. They mentioned that he threw-up during the OTAs. Add in his failed conditioning test at the start of camp and McKnight is off to a bad start. One sequence showed McKnight getting a play wrong and Running Backs coach Anthony Lynn giving him the business. Telling him that he needs to get better and concentrate on the small details.

* Bart Scott: Pretty hard to put together an episode and not have some Bart Scott highlights. Last week the focus was on telling Scott to shut up at times. This week Scott had the line of the night about Joe McKnight. He said that McKnight was mad because he had to take a pay cut to play for the Jets after leaving USC.

* Mark Sanchez \ Mark Brunell: They showed a lot along the lines of the veteran tutor. After the Sanchez interception in the Giants game Brunell was there with a pick-me-up. Scary to think that Sanchez didn’t have that veteran influence last season. Matt Cavanaugh also spent some time telling Sanchez to be more confident after a bad play and improve his body language (i.e. stop sulking).

* Nick Mangold \ Kris Jenkins: A really nice video sequence showing these two Pro Bowlers going at it in camp. Think about it Jets fans, Nick Mangold is the center and Kris Jenkins is the Nose Tackle. When have the Jets had more talent at those positions? Yes, the answer is never.

Darrelle Revis was mentioned but that talk was kept to a minimum. Initially they recapped the highlights about Revis from the first episode. Then they showed a press conference and talked about the media blackout that was agreed to by both sides.

Mike Westhoff got a lot of air time this week. They talked about his bone cancer 23 years ago, the titanium plate in his leg. And showed a lot of special teams clips. Mostly Westhoff stressing that Special Teams boils down to who wants it more.

Rex Ryan cursed less this week. Woody Johnson said he had no problem with the cursing. Watching Rex you realize how much he loves this game. He seems to say it ever other sentence. His passion is evident and the players he seems to root for the most are Fullback John Conner and Defensive End Vernon Gholston.

The episode ended with the preseason game versus the Giants. They showed a lot of the first team and how happy the Jets staff was with how they played. The second and third teams didn’t earn any praise. Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine had a very telling comment about the backups. He told Rex that what concerns him is that some of those guys are going to be on the team, they are counting on them. That seemed to be a shot at the back end of the secondary which is a cause for concern.

Next week:

* The players get a night off

* The left guard battle

* Braylon Edwards beard. Does it stay or go?

The second episode of Jets on Hard Knocks aired last night on HBO. Overall the show was good but it lacked the level of excitement that the first level achieved. They showed less of Rex Ryan cursing so maybe that was the difference. We are Jets fans after all so most of us are potty mouths.

They episode opened with the old stadium and the Bruce Springsteen song Wrecking Ball. They showed some Jets and Giants clips. Parcells getting carried off the field by the Giants. I was surprised they didn’t also cut to a Parcells clip from the 1998 season with the Jets.

The main focus of episode # 2 was the Jets\Giants preseason game. One week to go, that was heard often throughout practice. They had a theme of the coaches being unhappy with the defense. Rex Ryan and Dennis Thurman (defensive backs) both talked to Bart Scott about the tempo and the young guys not studying enough as well as making excuses.

The players that were featured in this episode were:

* Joe McKnight: His coverage was not flattering. They mentioned that he threw-up during the OTAs. Add in his failed conditioning test at the start of camp and McKnight is off to a bad start. One sequence showed McKnight getting a play wrong and Running Backs coach Anthony Lynn giving him the business. Telling him that he needs to get better and concentrate on the small details.

* Bart Scott: Pretty hard to put together an episode and not have some Bart Scott highlights. Last week the focus was on telling Scott to shut up at times. This week Scott had the line of the night about Joe McKnight. He said that McKnight was mad because he had to take a pay cut to play for the Jets after leaving USC.

* Mark Sanchez \ Mark Brunell: They showed a lot along the lines of the veteran tutor. After the Sanchez interception in the Giants game Brunell was there with a pick-me-up. Scary to think that Sanchez didn’t have that veteran influence last season. Matt Cavanaugh also spent some time telling Sanchez to be more confident after a bad play and improve his body language (i.e. stop sulking).

* Nick Mangold \ Kris Jenkins: A really nice video sequence showing these two Pro Bowlers going at it in camp. Think about it Jets fans, Nick Mangold is the center and Kris Jenkins is the Nose Tackle. When have the Jets had more talent at those positions? Yes, the answer is never.

Darrelle Revis was mentioned but that talk was kept to a minimum. Initially they recapped the highlights about Revis from the first episode. Then they showed a press conference and talked about the media blackout that was agreed to by both sides.

Mike Westhoff got a lot of air time this week. They talked about his bone cancer 23 years ago, the titanium plate in his leg. And showed a lot of special teams clips. Mostly Westhoff stressing that Special Teams boils down to who wants it more.

Rex Ryan cursed less this week. Woody Johnson said he had no problem with the cursing. Watching Rex you realize how much he loves this game. He seems to say it ever other sentence. His passion is evident and the players he seems to root for the most are Fullback John Conner and Defensive End Vernon Gholston.

The episode ended with the preseason game versus the Giants. They showed a lot of the first team and how happy the Jets staff was with how they played. The second and third teams didn’t earn any praise. Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine had a very telling comment about the backups. He told Rex that what concerns him is that some of those guys are going to be on the team, they are counting on them. That seemed to be a shot at the back end of the secondary which is a cause for concern.

Next week:

* The players get a night off

* The left guard battle

* Braylon Edwards beard. Does it stay or go?

Joe Klecko NT vs. Joe Fields C must have been pretty damn entertaining back in the day.

Mangold's the only guy in the league that could stop Jenkins. :D

Th best part of the show (not most entertaining) is watching how Rex coaches these guys up. He is a coach through and through, not a figurehead. This guy knows football, can you imagine Herm ever trying to teach technique?

Archived