Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darrelle Revis skips the start of training camp

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 1, 2010 10:39 AM ET

After months of maneuvering and speculation, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis has decided to go through with his training camp holdout.

Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger was first to report that Revis was a no-show for his morning physical and conditioning run on Sunday. At this point, we would have been surprised if Revis showed for camp.

(The Jets say Revis isn't officially a holdout until 5:30 P.M. All right, then.)

Recent reports indicated that the Jets and Revis are talking contract again, but Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported no new formal offer has been made. With the team's rookie class now under contract, the front office will focus on Revis.

We suspect this holdout could be a lengthy one, but it makes too much sense for the sides not to reach a contract agreement before the season starts. Right?

Revis is doing the smart thing for himself, his family, and his future. I cannot understand how anyone can fault the man. The Jets should do the smart thing for the franchise and pay him.

Revis is doing the smart thing for himself, his family, and his future. I cannot understand how anyone can fault the man. The Jets should do the smart thing for the franchise and pay him.

Pay him $16 million a year?

Isnt it amazing how fans have this sense of enititlment they expect from the players like they owe them something. Fact is, Revis owes the Jets and their fans absolutely nothing. This is a business just like any other, there is zero loyalty and anyone who says theyre loyal are yonh....and any other red blooded American on here would want to get paid what they're worth at their job.

Pay him $16 million a year?

Both sides need to negotiate, but Revis would be a complete fool to play for "just" $1M this year with no guarantees going forward when he could lose his ability to earn in a split second on the practice field.

Both sides need to negotiate, but Revis would be a complete fool to play for "just" $1M this year with no guarantees going forward when he could lose his ability to earn in a split second on the practice field.

He wants more money than Assmooha is getting this year. It seems if he doesnt get that he won't be satisfied.

He wants more money than Assmooha is getting this year. It seems if he doesnt get that he won't be satisfied.

You spoke to him?

Because there are conflicting reports. Some say he'd be good with $10M a year, as long as there are some guarantees. Just let it play out.

Isnt it amazing how fans have this sense of enititlment they expect from the players like they owe them something. Fact is, Revis owes the Jets and their fans absolutely nothing. This is a business just like any other, there is zero loyalty and anyone who says theyre loyal are yonh....and any other red blooded American on here would want to get paid what they're worth at their job.

You're right. Mr Island doesn't owe the fans diddly. He does owe the organization because if I recall, he still has a contract and in business, as you pointed out, you show up for work or you get fined or fired.

As a fan though, we invest heavy coin to see our teams on Sundays...maybe the situation doesn't piss you off, but it does me.

You spoke to him?

Because there are conflicting reports. Some say he'd be good with $10M a year, as long as there are some guarantees. Just let it play out.

Revis signed a contract with the NY Jets. The Jets have upheld their end of the contract and Revis is now in breach of his. If Revis wants to make a stink and not show up the Jets should make a solid offer (maybe 10M/yr) and let Revis know he can take the 10M/yr or play out his existing contract, or never set foot on the field again because the Jets own his rights.

You're right. Mr Island doesn't owe the fans diddly. He does owe the organization because if I recall, he still has a contract and in business, as you pointed out, you show up for work or you get fined or fired.

As a fan though, we invest heavy coin to see our teams on Sundays...maybe the situation doesn't piss you off, but it does me.

Why does he owe the organization? The same organization that promised him a new contract? Anyone who thought Revis was going to play this season for that amount is delusional. The guy deserves to be paid...the Jets need to step up.

Revis signed a contract with the NY Jets. The Jets have upheld their end of the contract and Revis is now in breach of his. If Revis wants to make a stink and not show up the Jets should make a solid offer (maybe 10M/yr) and let Revis know he can take the 10M/yr or play out his existing contract, or never set foot on the field again because the Jets own his rights.

Word, and take care of the guys who showed up first!

You spoke to him?

No need to be nasty, Im basing this off what I've read and the reports on ESPN. he also says if he gets a $0.25 more than Assmooha he'll be happy. It's "Important to him to be the highest paid corner in the league"

If Revis were your son, what would your advice to him be? Would you advise him to play for that $1M? Your son Revis might remind you how his friend Leon Washington bet on himself, got injured, and lost big time. He was in line to make multi-millions, and not will never see that kind of money. Would you want your kid to take that kind of risk, or would you want him to get some security up front first?

I know how I'd be advising my kid.

Bingo! Until Revis' camp starts showing some flexibility, there are no legitimate negotiations going on. Better to lock up key players who have some concept of reality.

Paying Revis was he's due is more unrealistic than anything

No need to be nasty, Im basing this off what I've read and the reports on ESPN. he also says if he gets a $0.25 more than Assmooha he'll be happy. It's "Important to him to be the highest paid corner in the league"

I don't mean to be nasty. I like you. smile.gif

Just pointing out that there are conflicting reports.

Bingo! Until Revis' camp starts showing some flexibility, there are no legitimate negotiations going on. Better to lock up key players who have some concept of reality.

Again, how do you know that Revis' camp is showing no flexibility?

If Revis were your son, what would your advice to him be? Would you advise him to play for that $1M? Your son Revis might remind you how his friend Leon Washington bet on himself, got injured, and lost big time. He was in line to make multi-millions, and not will never see that kind of money. Would you want your kid to take that kind of risk, or would you want him to get some security up front first?

That's the chance you take when you turn down your offers, which both Leon and Revis have done.

It's his prerogative to holdout, if he does I say let him rot!

Resign Mangold and Harris first, they showed up to camp!

He's not just playing for $1M this year.

You can't disregard the guaranteed money he recieved as part of his contract before he ever lined up for an NFL snap.

Revis's current contract pays him $36 million over 6 years. He has collected about $15 million of that to date, including a $5 million bonus and about $6 million in other guaranteed money.

When evaluating what he makes per year, you can not ONLY consider his salary for this year and disregard the "up front" bonus money and guarantees he also pocketed to date, which in this case makes up the majority of his overall salary. When you want money up front and get it, that always automatically reduces the traditional "yearly" salary. That's the price you pay for guaranteed money.

I have no sympathy for Darelle Revis.

He put his name to a 6 year contract knowing the agreement at the time and received an AGREEABLE amount of money for his services, including what was, at the time, a ton of money for a CB, especially an unproven one.

That's the gamble associated with front loading a long term contract with guaranteed money.

You can't have the best of both worlds.

He's not just playing for $1M this year.

You can't disregard the guaranteed money he recieved as part of his contract before he ever lined up for an NFL snap.

Revis's current contract pays him $36 million over 6 years. He has collected about $15 million of that to date, including a $5 million bonus and about $6 million in other guaranteed money.

When evaluating what he makes per year, you can not ONLY consider his salary for this year and disregard the "up front" bonus money and guarantees he also pocketed to date, which in this case makes up the majority of his overall salary. When you want money up front and get it, that always automatically reduces the traditional "yearly" salary. That's the price you pay for guaranteed money.

I have no sympathy for Darelle Revis.

He put his name to a 6 year contract knowing the agreement at the time and received an AGREEABLE amount of money for his services, including what was at the time, a ton of money for a CB, especiially an unproven one.

That's the gamble associated with front loading a long term contract with guaranteed money.

You can't have the best of both worlds.

Excellent post!

Isnt Revis currently UNDER CONTRACT---He should be FINED for not being in camp!!!

It's his prerogative to holdout, if he does I say let him rot!

It is absolutely his prerogative! Bravo to you!

I think it's a smart move on his part, because the Jets won't let him rot. They'll either pay him, or trade him to someone who will.

First off, I would advise my son to STFU and keep your face and remarks out of the media. Either go to camp or stay out. Don't be pulling this yo-yo crap every few days.

Archived