What needs to be understood about Aso's contract

JMJ

I normally support players holding out as it is a business and you can’t blame someone for trying to do what is best for them financially. However, in this case, I don’t support Revis since it is clear he is holding out for Asomugha money and that contract is a ridiculous aberration. The highest paid CBs in the league after Aso only make $10M per year and the only reasons Aso got the contract he did was:

1. Al Davis belongs in a loony bin.

2. The Raiders had already franchise tagged him twice. Doing it again and again year after year would have made them subject to increase penalties of 44% each year (http://raiderbeat.com/?p=684). So in turn, they just signed him to a 3-year deal at the cost of what it would have been to franchise him for the next 3 seasons as a way to beat the system so they could still have their franchise tag available to use on another player if need be.

The fact that Revis and his camp are not treating Aso’s deal as a (ridiculous) anomaly and are demanding a contract higher than that makes what he is doing nothing but greedy, greedy, greedy, and unfair to any National Football League team.

You left out one very important fact detail, beyond the contract realities of one being a FA and one being three years into a six year contract (that would bolster your arguement)

Asomugha has proven year in and year out he can be a consistent shutdown corner. Revis has over the past three years had one year as an "elite" and 2 as "quite good." The Raiders level of confidence in Aso maintaining the same level he had last year ought be much higher than the Jets confidence level in Revis doing so. It is not only possible but statistically quite likely that Revis has had his best career year. Jet fans are understandably hoping that is not true. But history says it is more likely true than not.

Honestly, I believe Al did this on purpose.

He did. He did it to beat the system of having to sign Aso to a single year franchise tag contract year after year which would piss Aso off as well as prevent him from using the franchise tag on another player if it seemed fit. So essentially, Aso got a longer term commitment like he was looking for, but at the money he would have received if he were to sign 3 separate one-year franchise tag contracts (44% increases year after year).

Al did it to beat the system and still have his franchise tag at his disposal.

I normally support players holding out as it is a business and you can’t blame someone for trying to do what is best for them financially. However, in this case, I don’t support Revis since it is clear he is holding out for Asomugha money and that contract is a ridiculous aberration. The highest paid CBs in the league after Aso only make $10M per year and the only reasons Aso got the contract he did was:

1. Al Davis belongs in a loony bin.

2. The Raiders had already franchise tagged him twice. Doing it again and again year after year would have made them subject to increase penalties of 44% each year (http://raiderbeat.com/?p=684). So in turn, they just signed him to a 3-year deal at the cost of what it would have been to franchise him for the next 3 seasons as a way to beat the system so they could still have their franchise tag available to use on another player if need be.

The fact that Revis and his camp are not treating Aso’s deal as a (ridiculous) anomaly and are demanding a contract higher than that makes what he is doing nothing but greedy, greedy, greedy, and unfair to any National Football League team.

Oh you mean, besides the fact that he'd been doing it for 6 years before he signed that deal? And that he didnt earn nearly has much money on his rookie contract as Revis?

I really didn't think I'd be the one defending Revis but wow... come on guys. He's making $1 mil this year right? And there's a potential lockout for next year, right? So... if he doesn't make the big contract now he may never do so. That doesn't mean he won't show up...

I really didn't think I'd be the one defending Revis but wow... come on guys. He's making $1 mil this year right? And there's a potential lockout for next year, right? So... if he doesn't make the big contract now he may never do so. That doesn't mean he won't show up...

You understand his demands would cripple this organization right?

We all agree he deserves a new contract .... so do the Jets. They are the ones who approached him about it, not the other way around. No other CB in the league makes more than $10M per year on average other than Aso and his contract is a ridiculous aberration.

If the Jets signed Revis to 6-year contract averaging $12.5M per year (25% higher than all other CBs not named Aso) I'm sure every Jet fan alive would be thrilled. It is the fact that he is demanding a contract higher than Aso's deal that is pissing off the entire fan base as it is a totally unfair and unrealistic demand.

Do we think he should get a new contract and do we want him to get a new contract? Yes.

Do we want it to be $16M or more per season for 6+ years? Hell no.

According to NJ.com the amount of bonus money offered Revis so far is zero.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/cornerback_darrelle_revis_will.html

According to a person with direct knowledge of the Jets’ proposals, they have yet to make Revis an offer that includes a signing bonus – a part of the contract not restricted by the tricky rules of the uncapped year.

That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for Revis or the team.

It's one thing to want crazy Al Davis Aso money.

I dont think Revis is out of line for wanting a bonus higher than nothing.

I dont think Revis is out of line for wanting a bonus higher than nothing.

In which case they would have accepted Tanny's sitdown and discussed that. But they didn't, which leads everyone to believe that he's holding out for Aso money.

In which case they would have accepted Tanny's sitdown and discussed that. But they didn't, which leads everyone to believe that he's holding out for Aso money.

What leads everyone to believe that is that Revis himself is on record as saying it.

What leads everyone to believe that is that Revis himself is on record as saying it.

I'm not 100% but I do believe the FO also said they want to make him the highest paid @ his position. Nobody really knows what's going on.

You understand his demands would cripple this organization right?

I think that's a fair assessment, but it's negotiations.. I honestly don't believe he'll get anything near that but of course he's going to try. If this was Edwards or someone like that it would be a different story. Revis, I'm not worried about, as long as there's a somewhat fair offer in place he'll be fine.

here's how i think it went:

Tanny: We'd like to stop over and talk.

Revis agent: Will you be offering a signing bonus?

Tanny: No.

Revis agent: What would we talk about?

Its easy to characterize revis as a punk, I dont think even the most ardent Jets homer can defend a bonus offer of 0 to the best defender in the game. that's outlandish.

I think that's a fair assessment, but it's negotiations.. I honestly don't believe he'll get anything near that but of course he's going to try. If this was Edwards or someone like that it would be a different story. Revis, I'm not worried about, as long as there's a somewhat fair offer in place he'll be fine.

See, I disagree with this. Tannenbaum is quoted as saying the short-term offer they made to him was a "band aid" type of offer like everyone in the media has been reporting the Jets should offer. Jason La Caforna from NFL Network has been the lead on that story and has used the exact term "band aid" when talking about the Jets and Revis. He has repeatedly said he feels that if the Jets were to offer $30M for 3 years he is confident that a deal would get done.

Sounds like the Jets made that type of offer and it didn't get done. All actions and quotes we see and hear from Revis are 100% pointing to him wanting to be paid more than Aso.

I dont think even the most ardent Jets homer can defend a bonus offer of 0 to the best defender in the game. that's outlandish.

I'm sure any contract offered including LOTS of guaranteed money. Do you really think the Jets are offering him a contract with no money guaranteed? REALLY? Or by "Bonus" do you mean straight up "Signing Bonus" and you're counting that as separate from guaranteed money?

I'm sure any contract offered including LOTS of guaranteed money. Do you really think the Jets are offering him a contract with no money guaranteed? REALLY? Or by "Bonus" do you mean straight up "Signing Bonus" and you're counting that as separate from guaranteed money?

It does not matter if Al Davis is sane or insane. Like it or not that is the market for top notch Cornerbacks.

That's like saying Jeter's contract is an abberition cause George was losing his mind at the time.

It does not matter if Al Davis is sane or insane. Like it or not that is the market for top notch Cornerbacks.

That's like saying Jeter's contract is an abberition cause George was losing his mind at the time.

Jeter's contract isn't a blatant loophole to get around a set of rules governing contracts like Aso's is. Not comparable.

that is an outrageous statement to say the least.to say that and beleive that is rediculous.then it would be ok for the top 10 cb's to say"well,aso is making 16m per,we all are holding out on our current 8m to 10m per until we are all making 15m to 16m per".people really need to think about what they type and put this issue into perspective.aso received his contract thru a serious of uncommon events.played out his rookie contract.franchised 2 times and did not want to play for the raiders.even with these events in place,crazy al still did the wrong thing.to say aso money is the market is out of controll thinking

that is an outrageous statement to say the least.to say that and beleive that is rediculous.then it would be ok for the top 10 cb's to say"well,aso is making 16m per,we all are holding out on our current 8m to 10m per until we are all making 15m to 16m per".people really need to think about what they type and put this issue into perspective.aso received his contract thru a serious of uncommon events.played out his rookie contract.franchised 2 times and did not want to play for the raiders.even with these events in place,crazy al still did the wrong thing.to say aso money is the market is out of controll thinking

That is exactly right.

Do you think an agent or a player is going to sit there and say (Well Aso's contract is an abbertion)so we shouldn't be holding out for that much.

Of course they are going to shoot for that. That is the market standard right now like it or now. It doesn't matter how Aso got the deal all that matters to Revis or any other top notch corner is that is the number and if I play better than him than I should be paid more than him.

Is Aso's deal an insane deal ? Yes

Is it going to keep Revis and others from asking for it ? No

That is exactly right.

Do you think an agent or a player is going to sit there and say (Well Aso's contract is an abbertion)so we shouldn't be holding out for that much.

Of course they are going to shoot for that. That is the market standard right now like it or now. It doesn't matter how Aso got the deal all that matters to Revis or any other top notch corner is that is the number and if I play better than him than I should be paid more than him.

Aso earned that deal from his team though! Has Revis?

Aso completed his entire rookie contract under it's original terms. Did Revis?

Aso then played TWO full seasons as a franchise player will no insurance for his future if he had a career threatening injury. Did Revis?

Aso did a lot, then was put through a lot by the Raiders. Even though I think the contract is absurd ... you can argue he earned it by putting his @ss on the line for a terrible organization against his will for 2 seasons after being a good soldier and finished out his low-paying rookie contract. Has Revis?

The answer to everything above is "No." Revis on the other hand held out for this contract he currently has as a rookie, hasn't completed it, made more than the players drafted in front of him, and is now holding out again.

That is exactly right.

starting point?absolutely.market standard?absolutely not

See, I disagree with this. Tannenbaum is quoted as saying the short-term offer they made to him was a "band aid" type of offer like everyone in the media has been reporting the Jets should offer. Jason La Caforna from NFL Network has been the lead on that story and has used the exact term "band aid" when talking about the Jets and Revis. He has repeatedly said he feels that if the Jets were to offer $30M for 3 years he is confident that a deal would get done.

Sounds like the Jets made that type of offer and it didn't get done. All actions and quotes we see and hear from Revis are 100% pointing to him wanting to be paid more than Aso.

Whether he wants to... vs. whether it's realistic.

We haven't reached the deadline yet. Revis is making the Jets sweat, the Jets are making Revis sweat, but both sides need each other.

Its easy to characterize revis as a punk, I dont think even the most ardent Jets homer can defend a bonus offer of 0 to the best defender in the game. that's outlandish.

Its also easy to characterize Tannenbaum as cheap or insincere, especially by coming up with a fake conversation and presenting it as the REAL truth.

I'm not 100% but I do believe the FO also said they want to make him the highest paid @ his position. Nobody really knows what's going on.

I think they meant the total value of the contract would be the highest ever for a CB, not that his yearly salary would be the highest ever.

lol

read the transcrip from tanny's presser

all bonus options are on the table, but until they agree on total compensation, it's a moot point

forget all this nonsense about bonus money, guarantee's, leon, mevis wants 16 mill per, and that's the problem. once they agree on a total number then they hammer out the bonuses and guarantees in about a day and a half

tanny isn't dumb enough to do 16 mm per, and I support that

I read in one of today's articles that the short term offer they made wouldn't've paid Revis more than the $5.6M or so that D'Brick will get this year.

I'm not. If you look at D'Brick's deal, there's very little in the way of guaranteed money. He has to get thru the first year before anything gets guaranteed in the second, etc. Not a player friendly deal at all. Then you have Mangold and Harris not even being talked to. Not a lot of evidence out there that the Jets are willing to throw money around.

Did he say anything to confirm that there was a long term deal equaling over 100mil like reported in the Day 1 TC threads?

They could offer him $500M, but without any guarantees or signing bonus it wouldn't mean anything.

Archived