"Cro" is Star of the Show

flgreen

From Jets camp: 'Cro' is star of the show

| More Print

1:57 PM, August 3, 2010 ι By MARK CANNIZZARO

CORTLAND -- Cornerback Antonio Cromartie was perhaps the star of the Jets' morning practice Tuesday, making plays all over the field.

Though Cromartie did make an acrobatic interception of Mark Sanchez in 11-on-11 drills, the most impressive play for him was a punishing tackle on former teammate, RB LaDainian Tomlinson, during the last session -- a running play on which he drove Tomlinson back to the ground.

That play of the day spurred Rex Ryan to later deliver the line of the day, saying, “They could have used that in the playoff game,’’ referring to the Chargers playing the Jets last year in the playoffs when Cromartie whiffed trying to tackle Jets RB Shonn Greene on a 53-yard TD run.

“That’s something that we need him to do; it’s great he’s stepping up and being that type of player,’’ Tomlinson said, not sounding as if he missed being tackled by his former teammate.

Tomlinson, too, said he approached Cromartie after the interception and said, “That’s you; that’s who you are.’’

“When he went up in the air and made that (interception) I’ve seen that play so many times before (in San Diego),’’ Tomlinson said.

WR Laveranues Coles is still unsettled with his uniform number, telling The Post after the morning practice he plans to make another change.

Coles, who’s always worn No. 87 in the NFL, began camp wearing No. 85 and switched to No. 19 on Monday after the first practice. He wore No. 19 Tuesday.

Asked how No. 19 worked out, Coles said, “Nah, still stanky. We’re going to work on it. I’m going to have a talk with some of the guys about that later to see what they think. No. 85 just stank. I felt bad in it, I even walked bad in it, I just couldn’t do it. The guys said 19 was a little better, but it’s not there yet. We’ll figure something out.’’

Asked if he’s considered raiding Clowney’s closet, Coles said, “I haven’t gotten to that point yet. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve got plenty of time to work on him a little bit. I was hoping when he sees the back of those 87 jerseys out there (on fans) they don’t say ‘Clowney’ on there, they say Coles.’’

Fellow WR Jerricho Cotchery said of Coles, “He put 87 on the map, but Clowney doesn’t want to let that go. He may have to stick with 19. There aren’t too many numbers left.’’

Cotchery on the depth of the Jets defense right now: “Drew Coleman is running with the third team right now and he’s making plays all over the place. That speaks a lot about our secondary.’’ Coleman, a backup CB, made an interception in the morning practice.

The Post has learned that the reason Jets WR Santonio Holmes, who’s due to report to training camp on Wednesday, was allowed to come in late is because his son, Santonio III, was rushed to the hospital on Sunday. Santonio III has sickle cell anemia.

The competition for the starting right guard spot appears to be a dead heat at the moment. Matt Slauson took most of the reps with the starters in today’s practice, with rookie Vladimir Ducasse playing with the starters on the last 11-on-11 drill.

Mark Sanchez threw his first interception of the preseason in 11-on-11 drills when he underthrew Clowney and Cromartie picked it off. Sanchez could have had another interception, but LB Bryan Thomas bobbled it away.

Rex Ryan raved about K Nick Folk, who made all five of his FGs in the morning practice: from 28, 30, 33, 34 and 36 yards.

“I’m officially not worried about our kicker anymore,’’ Ryan declared. “I was a little worried after that first (minicamp) practice (when Folk struggled), but he’s back.’’

Kellen Clemens returned to practice after one day on the active/PUP list with a calf injury. He worked with the third team and completed one pass in 11-on-11s.

Ryan continues to tout the offseason signing of S Brodney Pool as “the under-the-radar’’ acquisition. “We got Ladainian, ‘Cro’, Santonio Holmes and Jason Taylor and everyone overlooked Pool. He’s hungry. He wants to be a part of this defense.

“He’s a physical presence who has good range. Kerry Rhodes had those abilities, but for some reason Brodney has picked it up faster.’’

A revelation in today’s practice was the performance of rookie free agent TE Jeff Cumberland, a huge presence at 6-4. He made a couple of big catches from QB Kevin O’Connell in third-team 11-on-11s.

“It’s hard not to notice when he’s catching 40-yard passes,’’ Ryan said.

Jets Blog: Taking advantage of a Darrelle Revis-less practice

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

BY J.P. PELZMAN

The Record

STAFF WRITER

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Undrafted free agent tight end Jeff Cumberland was the obvious star of today’s Darrelle Revis-less morning practice, making acrobatic catches all over the place, including one in which he outwrestled S Emanuel Cook for the ball. Rex Ryan certainly was impressed, although he noted that Cumberland still needs some work on his blocking, saying how he was knocked into the backfield a couple of times.

Cumberland also looked good in the spring, but as Dennis Waszak Jr. of the Associated Press reminded me, so did TE Jack Simmons last year, but he didn’t make it. Or as Bill Parcells would say, ‘don’t put him in Canton just yet, fellas?’ [Wonder if Bill also said that about Yao Ming?].

Read the latest on J.P.'s "Green Machine" blog

Other notes from the morning: QB Kellen Clemens is off the active/PUP list and he practiced, running as the third-teamer [along with Kevin O’Connell] behind second-stringer Mark Brunell. CB Antonio Cromartie made a nice pick of an underthrown Mark Sanchez pass, and Sanchez also was picked by OLB Calvin pace, but it wasn’t his fault. Ball was bobbled by WR Braylon Edwards.

When asked if CB Darrelle Revis is being influenced by his uncle Sean Gilbert, Rex said he believes so, adding, ‘I know Darrelle is close with Sean. It’s who he’s advised by, his agents and his family.’ Gilbert held out an entire season in 1997 because of a contract impasse with Washington.

As for Revis’ holdout, Ryan said, "there’s nothing new to report."

C Nick Mangold was asked about Brett Favre’s latest alleged retirement and said, "Are you serious? I don’t care. He hasn’t been here for two years."

I agree 100 percent, Nick. Rex said, "if he’s not playing Week Five [versus the Jets], I’ll be happy. If he’s playing, I’ll be scared. ... Well, close to being scared."

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Undrafted free agent tight end Jeff Cumberland was the obvious star of today’s Darrelle Revis-less morning practice, making acrobatic catches all over the place, including one in which he outwrestled S Emanuel Cook for the ball. Rex Ryan certainly was impressed, although he noted that Cumberland still needs some work on his blocking, saying how he was knocked into the backfield a couple of times.

Cumberland also looked good in the spring, but as Dennis Waszak Jr. of the Associated Press reminded me, so did TE Jack Simmons last year, but he didn’t make it. Or as Bill Parcells would say, ‘don’t put him in Canton just yet, fellas?’ [Wonder if Bill also said that about Yao Ming?].

Read the latest on J.P.'s "Green Machine" blog

Other notes from the morning: QB Kellen Clemens is off the active/PUP list and he practiced, running as the third-teamer [along with Kevin O’Connell] behind second-stringer Mark Brunell. CB Antonio Cromartie made a nice pick of an underthrown Mark Sanchez pass, and Sanchez also was picked by OLB Calvin pace, but it wasn’t his fault. Ball was bobbled by WR Braylon Edwards.

When asked if CB Darrelle Revis is being influenced by his uncle Sean Gilbert, Rex said he believes so, adding, ‘I know Darrelle is close with Sean. It’s who he’s advised by, his agents and his family.’ Gilbert held out an entire season in 1997 because of a contract impasse with Washington.

As for Revis’ holdout, Ryan said, "there’s nothing new to report."

C Nick Mangold was asked about Brett Favre’s latest alleged retirement and said, "Are you serious? I don’t care. He hasn’t been here for two years."

I agree 100 percent, Nick. Rex said, "if he’s not playing Week Five [versus the Jets], I’ll be happy. If he’s playing, I’ll be scared. ... Well, close to being scared."

That play of the day spurred Rex Ryan to later deliver the line of the day, saying, “They could have used that in the playoff game,’’ referring to the Chargers playing the Jets last year in the playoffs when Cromartie whiffed trying to tackle Jets RB Shonn Greene on a 53-yard TD run.

Hahahaha

:rl::rl::rl:

From Jets camp: 'Cro' is star of the show

| More Print

1:57 PM, August 3, 2010 ι By MARK CANNIZZARO

CORTLAND -- Cornerback Antonio Cromartie was perhaps the star of the Jets' morning practice Tuesday, making plays all over the field.

Though Cromartie did make an acrobatic interception of Mark Sanchez in 11-on-11 drills, the most impressive play for him was a punishing tackle on former teammate, RB LaDainian Tomlinson, during the last session -- a running play on which he drove Tomlinson back to the ground.

“That’s something that we need him to do; it’s great he’s stepping up and being that type of player,’’ Tomlinson said, not sounding as if he missed being tackled by his former teammate.

Tomlinson, too, said he approached Cromartie after the interception and said, “That’s you; that’s who you are.’’

“When he went up in the air and made that (interception) I’ve seen that play so many times before (in San Diego),’’ Tomlinson said.

WR Laveranues Coles is still unsettled with his uniform number, telling The Post after the morning practice he plans to make another change.

Coles, who’s always worn No. 87 in the NFL, began camp wearing No. 85 and switched to No. 19 on Monday after the first practice. He wore No. 19 Tuesday.

Asked how No. 19 worked out, Coles said, “Nah, still stanky. We’re going to work on it. I’m going to have a talk with some of the guys about that later to see what they think. No. 85 just stank. I felt bad in it, I even walked bad in it, I just couldn’t do it. The guys said 19 was a little better, but it’s not there yet. We’ll figure something out.’’

Asked if he’s considered raiding Clowney’s closet, Coles said, “I haven’t gotten to that point yet. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve got plenty of time to work on him a little bit. I was hoping when he sees the back of those 87 jerseys out there (on fans) they don’t say ‘Clowney’ on there, they say Coles.’’

Fellow WR Jerricho Cotchery said of Coles, “He put 87 on the map, but Clowney doesn’t want to let that go. He may have to stick with 19. There aren’t too many numbers left.’’

Cotchery on the depth of the Jets defense right now: “Drew Coleman is running with the third team right now and he’s making plays all over the place. That speaks a lot about our secondary.’’ Coleman, a backup CB, made an interception in the morning practice.

The Post has learned that the reason Jets WR Santonio Holmes, who’s due to report to training camp on Wednesday, was allowed to come in late is because his son, Santonio III, was rushed to the hospital on Sunday. Santonio III has sickle cell anemia.

The competition for the starting right guard spot appears to be a dead heat at the moment. Matt Slauson took most of the reps with the starters in today’s practice, with rookie Vladimir Ducasse playing with the starters on the last 11-on-11 drill.

Mark Sanchez threw his first interception of the preseason in 11-on-11 drills when he underthrew Clowney and Cromartie picked it off. Sanchez could have had another interception, but LB Bryan Thomas bobbled it away.

Rex Ryan raved about K Nick Folk, who made all five of his FGs in the morning practice: from 28, 30, 33, 34 and 36 yards.

“I’m officially not worried about our kicker anymore,’’ Ryan declared. “I was a little worried after that first (minicamp) practice (when Folk struggled), but he’s back.’’

Kellen Clemens returned to practice after one day on the active/PUP list with a calf injury. He worked with the third team and completed one pass in 11-on-11s.

Ryan continues to tout the offseason signing of S Brodney Pool as “the under-the-radar’’ acquisition. “We got Ladainian, ‘Cro’, Santonio Holmes and Jason Taylor and everyone overlooked Pool. He’s hungry. He wants to be a part of this defense.

“He’s a physical presence who has good range. Kerry Rhodes had those abilities, but for some reason Brodney has picked it up faster.’’

A revelation in today’s practice was the performance of rookie free agent TE Jeff Cumberland, a huge presence at 6-4. He made a couple of big catches from QB Kevin O’Connell in third-team 11-on-11s.

“It’s hard not to notice when he’s catching 40-yard passes,’’ Ryan said.

Rex is the sh*t! So ready for football, damn it!

All this tells me is our QBs are struggling.

All this tells me is our QBs are struggling.

That's why I put very little stock in a lot of the camp reports, at least in the area of how competitive the team will be. When it is your defenese vs your offense, for every good new story, there is a bad news story.

The good news is the cornerback caught 4 ints/ the bad news is the QB threw them

The good news is the the kickoff returner returned two for a td/ the bad news is the kick off coverage unit sucks

The good news is the qb connected for 5 TDs / the bad news is the secondary looked like crap

The good news is the o-line prevented the QB from being sacked / the bad news is the team can't pass rush worth sh*t

That's why I put very little stock in a lot of the camp reports, at least in the area of how competitive the team will be. When it is your defenese vs your offense, for every good new story, there is a bad news story.

The good news is the cornerback caught 4 ints/ the bad news is the QB threw them

The good news is the the kickoff returner returned two for a td/ the bad news is the kick off coverage unit sucks

The good news is the qb connected for 5 TDs / the bad news is the secondary looked like crap

The good news is the o-line prevented the QB from being sacked / the bad news is the team can't pass rush worth sh*t

Agreed, the only time it really works out is if you have a unit that you already feel confident is very strong and the opposing one gets the better of it. For example, if Revis was in camp and getting successfully picked on by Sanchez, I'd be pretty damn happy about that. But outside that kind of scenario, the situation you stated is exactly right, and you never know if it's because the one side is really that good, or the other just sucks that bad.

Archived