Mangold knows he won't get a new deal until after the season

Jetfan13

Jets center Nick Mangold, who is scheduled to earn $3.3 million in the final year of his five-year rookie contract, is one of a few core young players looking for an extension. However, Mangold is resigned to the reality that he won't get a new deal until after the season. Contract talks have been tabled due to the uncertain labor landscape.

"I'm not happy about it, but I accepted that fact," Mangold told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

Despite the stalled contract talks, Mangold told The News that he decided "a couple days after minicamp" in mid-May that he wasn't going to hold out of training camp. His decision, in part, was motivated by a desire to help second-year pro Matt Slauson and rookie Vlad Ducasse in their competition for the vacant starting left guard spot.

"When those two guys are battling, they need all the help they can get," Mangold said.

"As a team, we're only as good as our weakest link. There's no reason we should have a weak link at offensive line."

Jets center Nick Mangold, who is scheduled to earn $3.3 million in the final year of his five-year rookie contract, is one of a few core young players looking for an extension. However, Mangold is resigned to the reality that he won't get a new deal until after the season. Contract talks have been tabled due to the uncertain labor landscape.

"I'm not happy about it, but I accepted that fact," Mangold told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

Despite the stalled contract talks, Mangold told The News that he decided "a couple days after minicamp" in mid-May that he wasn't going to hold out of training camp. His decision, in part, was motivated by a desire to help second-year pro Matt Slauson and rookie Vlad Ducasse in their competition for the vacant starting left guard spot.

"When those two guys are battling, they need all the help they can get," Mangold said.

"As a team, we're only as good as our weakest link. There's no reason we should have a weak link at offensive line."

Link to article: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/09/2010-08-09_nick_accepts_jets_hard_line.html

The Jets should do the right thing and give this kid a new contract before the first pre-season game.

I was just gonna post this, so here it is:

Nick Mangold knows new contract won't come from Jets until after season, begrudgingly accepts stance

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 9th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_jets_mangold.jpg Perlman/Star-LedgerAll-Pro center Nick Mangold is due to make $3.3M in the final year of his five-year rookie contract. CORTLAND - Mark Sanchez was lost at the line of scrimmage, confused by the defense staring back at him that afternoon in Oakland last season, when he leaned on his righthand man for help.

"What do you got, Nicky?" the quarterback asked his center. "What do you want?"

The response was nearly imperceptible.

Nick Mangold, ready to snap the ball with his right hand, lifted his left hand, quickly pointed to his left and tilted his head in the same direction.

Sanchez relayed those subtle instructions, made the correct check to the left side, and handed off to Shonn Greene, who scored an eight-yard touchdown to set the tone for a 38-0 rout of the Raiders.

"I'm running back to the sideline and the coaches are saying, 'Nice check, Mark!'" Sanchez remembered with a laugh. "And Nick's just looking at me, winking."

On a team filled with glitz and glamour, Mangold may be the Jets' most indispensable player. The All-Pro center's role in Sanchez's development last season was invaluable. Mangold's ability to help the rookie fill in the blanks in 2009 accelerated the quarterback's growth.

"He's so good and carefree and fun," Sanchez said. "He could have been a lot different. A lot of offensive linemen can be salty, especially with a rookie quarterback messing up the cadence, fumbling the snap or calling the wrong play."

Mangold, who is scheduled to earn $3.3 million in the final year of his five-year rookie contract, is one of a few core young players looking for an extension. However, Mangold is resigned to the reality that he won't get a new deal until after the season. Contract talks have been tabled due to the uncertain labor landscape.

"I'm not happy about it, but I accepted that fact," Mangold told the Daily News.

Although centers typically don't get their just due, there's little doubt that Mangold is the engine that drives one of the league's best offensive lines. Whether it's guiding Sanchez or mauling would-be tacklers, the fifth-year pro plays an important role on every offensive play.

"Without him, it'd be chaos up there," right tackle Damien Woody said. "He gets things going. He has a lot on his plate."

Although Sanchez has taken more responsibility in his second season and will likely ask Mangold fewer questions, the center will remain a safety valve and sounding board. Mangold's inherent ability to convey last-second decisions to his teammates in a calm, direct manner simply adds to his importance on a team built to win now.

"He makes it seem so easy ... and it's so difficult," offensive line coach Bill Callahan said. "He can take the complicated and scale it down and help all his partners around him."

Mangold grew into his leadership role by being around veteran Alan Faneca for the past two seasons. Faneca was cut by the Jets in April and is now with the Arizona Cardinals.

Now Mangold is "ready to take that baton and run with it," Woody said.

"He doesn't get rattled," Callahan said. "It's a poise I haven't seen on the field out of a player."

Nobody knows that better than his quarterback.

"He's the calmest guy you could ever imagine," Sanchez said. "When the crowd's loud and when everybody's going at 100 mph, Nick's the same. It's pretty special."

ROSTER MOVE

Undrafted free agent linebacker Kevin Basped, who suffered a knee injury last week, was released.

That uncertain labor landscape crap pisses me off, and should piss the players off, too. There's no real uncertainty for the owners, they just don't want to hand out any money before they lock their players out.

And I knew people would rush to compare him to Revis. Keep in mind that Mangold is making $3.3M to Revis' $550K this year, when -as great as Mangold is- Revis is in the GOAT conversation at a higher profile position. I know the fans think it's great when the players risk their future earnings, but Mangold and Harris are taking a significant risk this season. I hope it works out for them.

I agree 1,000%..IMO he is the most important player on the team..

Absolutely - he makes the offense better all around with his play and his brains.

That uncertain labor landscape crap pisses me off, and should piss the players off, too. There's no real uncertainty for the owners, they just don't want to hand out any money before they lock their players out.

And I knew people would rush to compare him to Revis. Keep in mind that Mangold is making $3.3M to Revis' $550K this year, when -as great as Mangold is- Revis is in the GOAT conversation at a higher profile position. I know the fans think it's great when the players risk their future earnings, but Mangold and Harris are taking a significant risk this season. I hope it works out for them.

I don't think it is great for Mangold to risk playing this year, but I do think it would be right to lock the guy up for a long time and secure him financially in case of injury. Mangold did the right thing coming to camp as the leader of the Oline - he took a team approach that might bite him in the ass. The Jets should now do the right thing and lock him up, he's done right by the team.

You keep on bringing up what MEvis is going to make this year...too freaking bad! He signed the MOFO contract...in fact, he held out on that contract too. The more this guy holds out, the more I get pissed and I know I don't stand alone in this...he needs to get his a$$ in camp with a workable contract for him and the organization...and forget this BS about being paid more than anyone else...that's pure greed and self gratification.

I think the Jets must have "helped" with a injury insurance deal.

It's against the rules but there must be loopholes.

I didn't expect Harris to be resigned until next year anyway so that' no surprise.

Also Mangold is a FA after this year and Harris a RFA, both of those scenarios will result with them getting more money. Also waiting in this unknown year they will both be able to get more guaranteed money.

I hope this means they have a deal that is bringing Revis in though, I imagine that's what they talked to Mangold about. Just a guess though.

Mangold did the right thing coming to camp as the leader of the Oline - he took a team approach that might bite him in the a$$. The Jets should now do the right thing and lock him up, he's done right by the team.

I agree. It would be awesome if the Jets showed the kind of loyalty to Mangold that most fans here seem to think Revis should show to the Jets.

Let the record show; I'm not holding my breath.

Just shows what a class act he is. You should put 2 Mangold's up in that banner. Revis said the same of Kyle Wilson, and look how much he's helping him.

Do you think that was a little dig at Revis?

To be fair, they're both at standstills. To paint it as one side is ready to move on and the other side is a wall of obstruction, hell-bent on ruining the very franchises they own, isn't really accurate.

If I was an NFL player, I'd want my bonus money up-front in case of a drawn out dispute that results in no income next year.

If I was an NFL owner, I'd want to hold off (or certainly limit) paying out up-front bonus money that will make a walkout year more palatable to the players that stand to earn the most.

Lost in your analysis is that Revis signed the contract that outlined those terms. His 2010 compensation is more than $550K. Signing bonuses and roster bonuses and option bonuses are not one-year salaries but rather payment in advance. He also received about $500K of his 2010 base salary in advance. So his game is to take 2010 money in advance and then cry "unfair" about the remainder of his 2010 compensation being all that he now receives. If it was unacceptable he should have held out for more as a rookie. If the terms of the NFL, which require him to sign with the team that drafted him, are so unfair to him then let him get a regular job that pays an additional $550K over the next 5-10 years instead of the next 5 months.

I definitely understand his viewpoint, but to paint the situation as Revis position = warranted and good and Jets = unwarranted and evil, is overly simplistic.

You keep on bringing up what MEvis is going to make this year...too freaking bad! He signed the MOFO contract...in fact, he held out on that contract too. The more this guy holds out, the more I get pissed and I know I don't stand alone in this...he needs to get his a$$ in camp with a workable contract for him and the organization...and forget this BS about being paid more than anyone else...that's pure greed and self gratification.

Yeah, so?

You and others keep bringing up that he held out on his original deal, too, when he only held out because Tannenbaum was pushing a sixth year he didn't want down his throat. A contract that he signed as a rookie with no leverage at all. Today he's in the GOAT conversation at CB in just his third year in the league.

I know you don't stand alone in your stance. Doesn't make the guy wrong for looking out for himself. The guy has a skill that the Jets are rumored to've valued in the $100M range, he's making $550K with no guarantees going forward. It's an issue.

If you want to get all in an uproar about greed, you could start to take it out on the owners as they prepare to lock the players out next season. That's easily the #1 reason that contracts aren't getting done this year. Mangold should be completed. There's no excuse for him not to be. You don't have to break the bank to sign even the best centers. It would serve the Jets right if he walked as a UFA next year.

Jets offered to bump Revis' pay this season and he said no.

Beyond that, this is CBA related. Hard to give Mangold the deal he will require given the 30% rules.

I definitely understand his viewpoint, but to paint the situation as Revis position = warranted and good and Jets = unwarranted and evil, is overly simplistic.

I understand both sides of the issue. Rather than spelling out both sides, I find myself taking the side of the player because the fans here seem to be blindly taking management's side without any regard to Revis' position.

Yeah, so?

You and others keep bringing up that he held out on his original deal, too, when he only held out because Tannenbaum was pushing a sixth year he didn't want down his throat. A contract that he signed as a rookie with no leverage at all. Today he's in the GOAT conversation at CB in just his third year in the league.

I know you don't stand alone in your stance. Doesn't make the guy wrong for looking out for himself. The guy has a skill that the Jets are rumored to've valued in the $100M range, he's making $550K with no guarantees going forward. It's an issue.

If you want to get all in an uproar about greed, you could start to take it out on the owners as they prepare to lock the players out next season. That's easily the #1 reason that contracts aren't getting done this year. Mangold should be completed. There's no excuse for him not to be. You don't have to break the bank to sign even the best centers. It would serve the Jets right if he walked as a UFA next year.

So knowing what the 30% rules are, what would you say should be fair compensation? I would say for him to get compensated fairly, he's going to need a deal averaging 7-8 million a year? Only way a deal like that doesn't get rejected by the NFL is if it is done after the season when the contract is up.

Yeah, so?

Yeah so? So, get his a$$ in camp. When I read stories about players like Mangold, I get more infuriated.

For the 1,000,000th time, he doesn't need to be the highest paid player, CB or whatever you want to call him...I am sure he could live on a contract that is team driven and at the same time, feeding his "family".

Jets offered to bump Revis' pay this season and he said no.

How much?

Beyond that, this is CBA related. Hard to give Mangold the deal he will require given the 30% rules.

Mangold's making $3.3M. They could formulate a contract with a signing bonus an $1M+ raises every year. Even if they just cut him a two-year extension for a little security.

Yeah so? So, get his a$$ in camp. When I read stories about players like Mangold, I get more infuriated.

For the 1,000,000th time, he doesn't need to be the highest paid player, CB or whatever you want to call him...I am sure he could live on a contract that is team driven and at the same time, feeding his "family".

Mangold's taking a significant risk. Really not a smart play on his part. But for Revis, he'd be taking a larger gamble. Mangold could suffer a torn ACL, and probably bounce back to being a top NFL center. The same injury to Revis would drop his value to a fraction of what it is now, as he'd be unlikely to ever be the same player again.

And also for the 1,000,000th time, the Aso money demand is a negotiating stance. The Jets haven't offered Revis even second tier money yet after they came to him offering to do a new deal.

See, I'm more concerned with getting Mangold a new deal prior to the end of this season than I am Revis.

Revis: After this season is over, whether he plays or not, the Jets still retain (or more correctly, can still retain) his rights for 2 more seasons.

Mangold: After this season is over, he is a free agent.

Unless a new CBA still considers those with under 7 years experience a RFA (super-unlikely and a poor bet for the Jets to make either way), Mangold will be a UFA after the season. Once his injury risk is behind him AND his contract is over, the Jets won't retain any more rights OR leverage than any of the other 31 teams. He will got to the highest bidder and the advantage the Jets have in retaining him will be minimal. There will be a small window where they'll have the exclusive right to negotiate with him, but in February without an injury risk there's little incentive for Mangold to sign early instead of letting other teams drive his price up.

And also for the 1,000,000th time, the Aso money demand is a negotiating stance. The Jets haven't offered Revis even second tier money yet after they came to him offering to do a new deal.

Maybe. Or maybe he really does want $.25 more per year. Not sure that we can say which definitively at this point.

See, I'm more concerned with getting Mangold a new deal prior to the end of this season than I am Revis.

Revis: After this season is over, whether he plays or not, the Jets still retain (or more correctly, can still retain) his rights for 2 more seasons.

Mangold: After this season is over, he is a free agent.

Unless a new CBA still considers those with under 7 years experience a RFA (super-unlikely and a poor bet for the Jets to make either way), Mangold will be a UFA after the season. Once his injury risk is behind him AND his contract is over, the Jets won't retain any more rights OR leverage than any of the other 31 teams. He will got to the highest bidder and the advantage the Jets have in retaining him will be minimal. There will be a small window where they'll have the exclusive right to negotiate with him, but in February without an injury risk there's little incentive for Mangold to sign early instead of letting other teams drive his price up.

Absolutely right on the money.

Mangold's taking a significant risk. Really not a smart play on his part. But for Revis, he'd be taking a larger gamble. Mangold could suffer a torn ACL, and probably bounce back to being a top NFL center. The same injury to Revis would drop his value to a fraction of what it is now, as he'd be unlikely to ever be the same player again.

I read they offered him 100 mill and was turned down,if you have proof otherwise please inform the masses here

I read they offered him 100 mill and was turned down,if you have proof otherwise please inform the masses here

You find that offer, and inform the masses here how much up front and/or guaranteed money was involved.

'Cause he could sign a $100 billion dollar contract, but without those monies the team can cancel it at any time.

Good to hear Mangold has a pair. Class act that guy...glad to have him on the team. He's going to be the man for this oline for a long time. He'll get his deal. Tanny always favors the non-malcontents.

Too bad that little punk Mevi$ doesnt have the same character. He might have a deal by now if he did.

You find that offer, and inform the masses here how much up front and/or guaranteed money was involved.

'Cause he could sign a $100 billion dollar contract, but without those monies the team can cancel it at any time.

I think that would exceed the cap limit.

I agree... He is under contract and should be in camp helping Mr. Wilson.... This clearly shows that he thinks he's more important than the team.

Today he's in the GOAT conversation at CB in just his third year in the league.

Are we really having the GOAT conversation about Revis after 3 seasons or is that a bit of hyperbole? GOLS (greatest of last season)? Absolutely. But in 2008, Asomugha was getting the exact same press. Then Revis outshone him in 2009. Perhaps it will flip back again in 2010. Who knows.

If Revis performs at or near last year's level for 3 more years, then I'm all on board with the GOAT debate, but for now let's just focus on this year.

I agree... He is under contract and should be in camp helping Mr. Wilson.... This clearly shows that he thinks he's more important than the team.

Hence the name Mevi$. He thinks he's bigger than the New York Jets. Sad actually. Really wish he wasnt such a punk because its a joy watching such a talented player in green and white...but he's one man.

Are we really having the GOAT conversation about Revis after 3 seasons or is that a bit of hyperbole? GOLS (greatest of last season)? Absolutely. But in 2008, Asomugha was getting the exact same press. Then Revis outshone him in 2009. Perhaps it will flip back again in 2010. Who knows.

If Revis performs at or near last year's level for 3 more years, then I'm all on board with the GOAT debate, but for now let's just focus on this year.

Its amazing actually. 1 season and he's in the GOAT conversation :blink:

This clearly shows that he thinks he's more important than the team.

The only thing this clearly shows is that he thinks his future -and the future of his family- is more important than training camp with the NY Jets. Which suggests to me that the man's priorities are right in line.

Its amazing actually. 1 season and he's in the GOAT conversation :blink:

I think Revis is great. Still, the odds that last year won't end up being his best year are not good. While I'd love it (since I think there will be a deal struck), I don't really believe that the level of play he exhibited last season will be the mean for him going forward. I suppose it's possible, but then it's also technically possible that Tom Brady doesn't suck dick when there are no reporters or cameras around.

The only thing this clearly shows is that he thinks his future -and the future of his family- is more important than training camp with the NY Jets. Which suggests to me that the man's priorities are right in line.

Must be nice having that luxury.

I think Revis is great. Still, the odds that last year won't end up being his best year are not good. While I'd love it (since I think there will be a deal struck), I don't really believe that the level of play he exhibited last season will be the mean for him going forward. I suppose it's possible, but then it's also technically possible that Tom Brady doesn't suck dick when there are no reporters or cameras around.

He's awesome! And I highly doubt he will ever duplicate last season...I think that Football Outsiders interview explained this well. You have to expect a drop off. He might be lights out still, but doing what he did last season is going to be very tough to duplicate. And as great of a season as it was, his team was still 9-7 and need a team to lay down to make the playoffs.

Archived