Thoughts from Florham Park

Maxman

The offense looked terrible (passing game). Didn't matter much who was in there. They just had a hard time.

Is it because the defense is so good? Possibly. But it is a scary, scary site. Sanchez, Brunell and Clemens all struggled.

Florham Park is nice, great facility but it is just not suited to handle thousands of fans the way it is currently set up. The Jets did a good job though and the players were great. Signed autographs for a very long time.

The offense looked terrible (passing game). Didn't matter much who was in there. They just had a hard time.

Is it because the defense is so good? Possibly. But it is a scary, scary site. Sanchez, Brunell and Clemens all struggled.

Florham Park is nice, great facility but it is just not suited to handle thousands of fans the way it is currently set up. The Jets did a good job though and the players were great. Signed autographs for a very long time.

I'm not going to lie. I'm starting to get very worried about Sanchez. He has all the weapons there for him and he's still just not making the step from "suck" to "consistent". Here's to hoping it's just the defense.

I'm not going to lie. I'm starting to get very worried about Sanchez. He has all the weapons there for him and he's still just not making the step from "suck" to "consistent". Here's to hoping it's just the defense.

Here was my concern today. They are still going to have to be a run first team. But do they still realize this? We will find out when the games count.

But is Schotty gonna go nuts with motion and empty back fields when the strength was running the ball last year?

Max any added days for yesterdays rainout? Dont worry Rex will put his foot in Sanchezs a$$ sooner than later. Or Mark Brunell will be our starter... [-X

I doubt they are adding any days, haven't heard anything. They have to start game planning...they broke camp so after Hofstra on Wed night I doubt you will see any open practices.

Here was my concern today. They are still going to have to be a run first team. But do they still realize this? We will find out when the games count.

But is Schotty gonna go nuts with motion and empty back fields when the strength was running the ball last year?

I doubt it, Rex is still all for Ground and Pound!

Notes from Jets' last public practice at Florham Park

Published: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 2:00 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 2:02 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerThe first-team offense worked against the scout-team defense off cards today.

Share Thousands of fans and VIPs turned out this morning as the Jets held their final public practice at Florham Park. Practicing in pads, the Jets' first-team offense started the session against the scout-team defense working off cards, apparent game-planning for the Redskins.

The most notable thing to happen this morning? Center Nick Mangold, presumably hours from a big payday, didn't participate in team drills with the first-team offense. Rob Turner was in his place.

Other notes:

QB Mark Sanchez was 4-for-6 in 11-on-11s vs. the first-team defense today. He had two touchdowns against the scout team defense, to TE Dustin Keller and FB Tony Richardson.

QB Kellen Clemens threw a beautiful 30-yard touchdown on a post pattern to WR Marcus Henry in 7-on-7s. TE Jeff Cumberland made a nice catch from Clemens on his helmet with S Jim Leonhard on coverage. Earlier, WR Larry Taylor had CB Kyle Wilson beat deep but Clemens underthrew him.

Matt Slauson continues to work with the first team at left guard ahead of second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse. Is the competition over for the season opener? We'll ask Rex Ryan.

Not practicing were LB Joshua Mauga (concussion) and S Donovan Warren (concussion). Yesterday, Ryan said Mauga was progressing a bit slower than normal after his concussion, so they are being cautious with him.

August 24, 2010 1:52 PM 11 Comments .Jets Tuesday Practice Notes »

By Manish Mehta

Some notes from the open practice at Florham Park today to hold you over before Rex Ryan speaks. (By the way, a very nice turnout).

Nick Mangold, who is expected to sign his new contract later today, was held out of 11-on-11 drills today. (He did participate in position drills). No word yet on why.

Matt Slauson practiced with the first team again. It appears that the second-year pro has won the left guard battle over rookie Vlad Ducasse even though no official announcement has been made.

Rookie LB Joshua Mauga (concussion) , Don Warren (concussion) and OL Charlie Tanner (knee) didn’t practice.

Mark Sanchez was 4 for 6 in 11-on-11 drills today.

Kellen Clemens was solid playing with the second-team offense, hitting Marcus Henry for a 30-yard TD in 7on7s.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/jets-tuesday-practice-notes.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fjets+%28Blogs%2FThe+Jet+Stream%29#ixzz0xYQIKeBj

August 24, 2010 1:52 PM 11 Comments .Jets Tuesday Practice Notes »

By Manish Mehta

Some notes from the open practice at Florham Park today to hold you over before Rex Ryan speaks. (By the way, a very nice turnout).

Nick Mangold, who is expected to sign his new contract later today, was held out of 11-on-11 drills today. (He did participate in position drills). No word yet on why.

Matt Slauson practiced with the first team again. It appears that the second-year pro has won the left guard battle over rookie Vlad Ducasse even though no official announcement has been made.

Rookie LB Joshua Mauga (concussion) , Don Warren (concussion) and OL Charlie Tanner (knee) didn’t practice.

Mark Sanchez was 4 for 6 in 11-on-11 drills today.

Kellen Clemens was solid playing with the second-team offense, hitting Marcus Henry for a 30-yard TD in 7on7s.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/jets-tuesday-practice-notes.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fjets+%28Blogs%2FThe+Jet+Stream%29#ixzz0xYQIKeBj

Wow I just disagree that the passing game was solid. The 4 of 6 from Sanchez may have been for 8 yards.

Kellen did have the 30 yarder but his 4 passes before that were incomplete.

Wow I just disagree that the passing game was solid. The 4 of 6 from Sanchez may have been for 8 yards.

Kellen did have the 30 yarder but his 4 passes before that were incomplete.

Well with all those big guys bending over and all, maybe you just got a bit distracted :P

The big thing I noticed today is how much far advanced Westerman is as a pass-rusher than Gholston. Quicker off the ball, swim moves, spins. All Vernon has is the bullrush.

Also about the facility, it seems like they are still building it up. And they are already progessing from last year with the shuttles back and forth to the parking lots.

Hopefully. I am just getting a weird vibe. Rex might need to talk to Schotty a bit. Run first....

We need to use more play-action and screens on offense if we want the passing game to work. Its not simply saying "do we go run-heavy or have a balanced attack?" Our offense can work with lots of long handoffs and short passes. Santonio is beastly, so no one will be able to play bump-and-run with Edwards and Holmes as deep threats.

Schotty needs to stop with this shotgun with empty backfield on 2nd + long offense we've been seeing in preseason and get more creative. Hopefully he's just doing it to hide what we're REALLY going to be doing.

Here is my camp report. Read it and learn people. Read it and learn.

8/24/2010 Jets Camp Report – Florham Park

New York Jets Training Camp

by Phil Sullivan on August 25, 2010

in Camp Reports

By Phil Sullivan

The New York Jets were finally on display for the fans today in Florham Park, NJ. The public session that was scheduled for Monday was rained out and the Jets practiced indoors instead. Although no official attendance numbers were provided for Tuesday, the number was in the thousands. It was standing room only as the bleachers and VIP areas were filled to capacity.

On the field the story was defense, defense and more defense. There were some camp reports today (cough Manish Mehta, Jenny Vrentas) touting how Mark Sanchez was 4 for 6 in 11 on 11s and Kellen Clemens threw a 30 yard plus touchdown. Both of those lines are true. What other camp reports left out is how bad the passing game really looked.

When they tired to throw down the field, the defense would not allow it. At one point Kellen Clemens had 862 incompletions in a row. That is an unofficial count, the real number might be closer to 4. Clemens was actually sacked twice as well and it was a non-contact drill. Time ran out, receivers covered, play is over.

Mark Brunell played like a 40 year old quarterback. His timing seems off and although I don’t have his official numbers from the 11 on 11 drill, they were not impressive.

Hopefully Brian Schottenheimer remembers that the Jets need to run the ball first. Asking Mark Sanchez to put this offense on his back right now would be a mistake.

The good news? This is the Jets defense they were facing. The great news? This was the coverage without Darrelle Revis. Things are only going to get better on the defensive front once Revis returns.

Here are some additional notes from the practice:

* TE Jeff Cumberland had two drops, one ball was thrown behind him and would have been a tough catch. The other ball, thrown by Kellen Clemens, should have been caught and would have gone for a 20 yard gain.

* The few completions that the offense did have during the 11 on 11s went seemed to go to LaDainian Tomlinson.

* Marcus Henry was the recipient of the 30 yard touchdown pass from Kellen Clemens.

* Matt Slauson seems to have won the left guard battle.

* Wednesday night is family night at Hofstra University. The Jets will have their last open practice of the year at Hofstra. Practice starts at 6pm, Jets Fest opens at 4pm.

The Jets were gracious hosts as they signed autographs for an extended period of time. Some players seemed to sign for everyone who wasn’t on the Mark Sanchez line which was, no surprise here, very long.

Archived