Jets coach Rex Ryan pleased with the offense this week in practice

Jetfan13

Coach Rex Ryan, who had told reporters on Tuesday that he was concerned with the offense, said the unit has looked good in practice this week, and especially good Friday.

“I was excited,’’ Ryan said about the offense. “The best day we had all week was today. They looked really sharp. So that’s really encouraging. I remember this time last week, I talked about I was a little concerned with our passing attack. And it kind of panned out that way. I’m not big on lying, I just tell it the way it is. I think we had an outstanding practice today.’’

The Jets managed just 176 yards of total offense and quarterback Mark Sanchez hit on 10-of-21 passes for just 74 yards in Monday’s 10-9 loss to Baltimore. On Tuesday, Ryan said he wanted the Jets to throw the ball deep down the field more than they did in the season opener.

Ryan said he has a weekly meeting, every Friday, with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterback Mark Sanchez in which they go over the plays that are in the game plan for the upcoming game and decide if they “Love it, like it or hate it.’’

Ryan said the three have been meeting weekly during the season since the second half of last season, and while he didn’t want to categorize himself as taking a particularly active role in the offensive game plan, he feels the need to let Schottenheimer know how he feels about things.

“This week what I did, I had the offensive scripts, and if I liked the play, I just highlighted it,’’ he said. “So if it was that way, just give it to ‘Schotty’ and say, ‘I like this one.’’’

Ryan raved about Patriots rookie Devin McCourty, the Rutgers product who is starting at cornerback for New England.

“No surprise,’’ Ryan said of McCourty starting. “We loved him, too. I think he went… two spots in front of Kyle (Wilson, whom the Jets took with the 29th pick overall). But both of those guys were right next to each other.

"The kid (McCourty)’s right down the road – we went and worked him out. Actually, Cleveland was working him out also, when I was there. Really an outstanding young man, and the guy loves to play. He reminded me – and I’m not talking about the type of player, but just him as a person – the kind of passion he had, he reminds you of Darrelle (Revis); a guy that just eats it up, loves playing.

"Their coach (Greg Schiano) told me he had over 100 snaps in one game, because he played a ton of snaps on defense and he played all the special teams. So the kid’s legit. No question about it. Great kid.’’…

S Brodney Pool was still limited in practice, but Ryan said Pool did more work than he has in previous days and the coach said he felt “pretty good that he will play.’’ Pool is listed as questionable… For New England, OT Nick Kaczur (back) and CB Terrence Wheatley (foot) are out, WR Julian Edelman (foot) is questionable and WR Wes Welker, who was limited Friday, is probable.

Coach Rex Ryan, who had told reporters on Tuesday that he was concerned with the offense, said the unit has looked good in practice this week, and especially good Friday.

“I was excited,’’ Ryan said about the offense. “The best day we had all week was today. They looked really sharp. So that’s really encouraging. I remember this time last week, I talked about I was a little concerned with our passing attack. And it kind of panned out that way. I’m not big on lying, I just tell it the way it is. I think we had an outstanding practice today.’’

The Jets managed just 176 yards of total offense and quarterback Mark Sanchez hit on 10-of-21 passes for just 74 yards in Monday’s 10-9 loss to Baltimore. On Tuesday, Ryan said he wanted the Jets to throw the ball deep down the field more than they did in the season opener.

Ryan said he has a weekly meeting, every Friday, with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterback Mark Sanchez in which they go over the plays that are in the game plan for the upcoming game and decide if they “Love it, like it or hate it.’’

Ryan said the three have been meeting weekly during the season since the second half of last season, and while he didn’t want to categorize himself as taking a particularly active role in the offensive game plan, he feels the need to let Schottenheimer know how he feels about things.

“This week what I did, I had the offensive scripts, and if I liked the play, I just highlighted it,’’ he said. “So if it was that way, just give it to ‘Schotty’ and say, ‘I like this one.’’’

Ryan raved about Patriots rookie Devin McCourty, the Rutgers product who is starting at cornerback for New England.

“No surprise,’’ Ryan said of McCourty starting. “We loved him, too. I think he went… two spots in front of Kyle (Wilson, whom the Jets took with the 29th pick overall). But both of those guys were right next to each other.

"The kid (McCourty)’s right down the road – we went and worked him out. Actually, Cleveland was working him out also, when I was there. Really an outstanding young man, and the guy loves to play. He reminded me – and I’m not talking about the type of player, but just him as a person – the kind of passion he had, he reminds you of Darrelle (Revis); a guy that just eats it up, loves playing.

"Their coach (Greg Schiano) told me he had over 100 snaps in one game, because he played a ton of snaps on defense and he played all the special teams. So the kid’s legit. No question about it. Great kid.’’…

S Brodney Pool was still limited in practice, but Ryan said Pool did more work than he has in previous days and the coach said he felt “pretty good that he will play.’’ Pool is listed as questionable… For New England, OT Nick Kaczur (back) and CB Terrence Wheatley (foot) are out, WR Julian Edelman (foot) is questionable and WR Wes Welker, who was limited Friday, is probable.

If you watch the video of Rex saying this its sound even more obsequious when he says it. Rex acts like Schotty owns the team.

Ugh.

Nothing inspiring about any of this. Sounds like he's trying too hard not to step on Schotty's toes.

Hope they get this sh*t straightened out soon... it was a problem last year that got swept under the rug in the playoffs because Shonn Greene and Keller broke just enough big plays off to brush it under the rug.

Ugh....Great, now Devin McCourty is gonna hold out next season wanting $16 million. And no way the Patriots are gonna pay it either.

So our coaching staff goes over the playbook like they're just ordering ice cream from Coldstone's. Awesome.

So when they come to the part of the gameplan with WR reverses, does Schottenheimer say "Gotta have it!"?

Why are there even plays in the playbook that the head coach doesn't like?

This.

I hate you, but yes... this.

Furthermore, based upon the way this article reads... Schotty comes into the game with it completely scripted. Not just the first 15 plays or whatever, but a complete script. Which would shed a little light on the lack of adjustments we see him make mid-game... furthermore the lack of exploitation of opponent weaknesses. Case in point... everyone in the NFL understood that the Jets should have attacked the Ravens secondary, as it was perceived to be their weak spot. The Jets offensive gameplan not only did the opposite, but it also failed to adapt and do it mid-game after watching the initial game plan initially fail.

the lack of exploitation of opponent weaknesses. Case in point... everyone in the NFL understood that the Jets should have attacked the Ravens secondary, as it was perceived to be their weak spot.

There are two basic ways to approach offensive planning. Every team does a mix, but two outstanding offenses probably have the most extreme positions on this manner.

And let me admit up front...some of this is exaggeration and hyperbole

The Colts approach: Can best be described as "we do what we do." A line Dungy used a lot. The Colts have an outstanding passing offense down the field but a pretty poor running game. You know what they do every game? They throw the ball down field. Colts really don't give two hoots about what the opposing defense is good or bad at. They do what they are good at. The opposing team could have the number passing defense in the league and the #32 rushing defense in the league and the Colts are gonna still throw the ball. Doesn't matter if the league best CB is on the #1 WR and a rookie who was on the practice squad last week is covering the #2 receiver. Peyton is still gonna favor is #1 receiver cause he is the best receiver on the team, regardless of other potential mismatches.

The Patriots approach Can best be described as looking for match-ups or take what they give us. Patriots are less interested at what they do well as they are at what the other team does poorly. If the opposing team has a weak secondary, throw it to Moss. If they have a great secondary but can't handle short routes, then throw it to Welker. If the opposing team is great at stopping all passes but sucks against the run. Then run the ball even the Patriots running game is much weaker than the passing game.

Which is the better approach? I dunno. I like BB's better, personally it makes more sense to me. But it is hard to make the claim that the Colts approach hasn't been pretty damn effective for them and that they need to switch.

It seems that the Jets approach in game 1, is similar to Dungy's. The Jets running game is better than the passing game. So the Jets run first. (Even though Balitmore is better at stopping the run than the pass). Sanchez throwing down field is often a recipe for an interception. So the Jets threw short safe pass. (Even though the Raven's secondary was a weak link).

The Jets like the Colts, played to their own strengths instead of the opposing teams weaknesses. As opposed to the Patriot approach of playing to the other teams weaknesses instead of their own strengths.

the lack of exploitation of opponent weaknesses. Case in point... everyone in the NFL understood that the Jets should have attacked the Ravens secondary, as it was perceived to be their weak spot.

Hey Dr.Z...exploiting a secondary usually requires a QB capable of exploiting a secondary.

You speak of exploiting the Ravens secondary as if it's that simple...just toss it in there because no one can do anything back in that 'oooool Ravens secondary...if only professional level football worked like that...You can't just pretend the Jets offense doesn't have to battle that Ravens front 7...For instance... do you think that Ngata sack came because Sanchez was looking for a quick out in the flats? Probably not...that's just my guess.

Archived