If you had $25,000 to invest....

villain_the_foe

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PSL's. :lol:

Seriously, its difficult to say where to invest when you do not know the time horizon, risk appetite, what this money means to you, your net worth, retirement plans and so on. Specially in these turbulent and artificially pumped up stock markets and pretty overheated bond and commodity markets.

I would say get a good financial planner, read up info on financial sites and never trust specific advice you get on message boards.

Good luck.

PSL's. :lol:

Seriously, its difficult to say where to invest when you do not know the time horizon, risk appetite, what this money means to you, your net worth, retirement plans and so on. Specially in these turbulent and artificially pumped up stock markets and pretty overheated bond and commodity markets.

I would say get a good financial planner, read up info on financial sites and never trust specific advice you get on message boards.

Good luck.

I guess message boards would be better than the "Bernie Madoff" financial planners of the world lol. I just want to see where peoples mentality is at on the topic.

start a small service business you can grow and eventually hire other people to do the work for you

if you can turn that 25 k into an annual income of 50 k, no investment can match that

I know a guy with 3 houses and 4 boats who started cleaning swimming pools out of a subaru baja and now has a kicking business

if you live near money, find things they will pay you to do like dog walking, house sitting, oral, house keeping, etc etc

I would actually buy a rental house. Something in a rental area for like 200k. Pay any extra rental income towards principal. Pay that mofo off in 19 years. Get a nice Schedule E deduction along the way.

+1

Real estate may not rebound at a record pace, but it will rebound. Being able to buy a house and have someone else pay it off for you (maybe while taking home a little profit along the way) is huge.

Nineteen years from now that $200k house (that was worth $300k three years ago) could easily be worth $400k.

+1

Real estate may not rebound at a record pace, but it will rebound. Being able to buy a house and have someone else pay it off for you (maybe while taking home a little profit along the way) is huge.

Nineteen years from now that $200k house (that was worth $300k three years ago) could easily be worth $400k.

How and when ? Do tell.

How and when ? Do tell.

There's only so much land. Population continues to increase, and they need to live somewhere. Prices will jump again in this young pothead's lifetime. Even if they stay static, you're talking about turning a $25k investment into $200k over 20 years, all while skimming a little profit along the way. That's damn good.

There's only so much land. Population continues to increase, and they need to live somewhere. Prices will jump again in this young pothead's lifetime. Even if they stay static, you're talking about turning a $25k investment into $200k over 20 years, all while skimming a little profit along the way. That's damn good.

That has a big assumption built into it.

That you would be able to rent the property out for 20 years at a certain expected price for the asset to even break even or more optimistic scenario for it to be a net positive cash flow investment. And you have to include expenses like taxes, mortgage and maintenance to it.

I am not saying this has not worked in the past for many people. But i am not so sure it works for the next 20 years.

That has a big assumption built into it.

That you would be able to rent the property out for 20 years at a certain expected price for the asset to even break even or more optimistic scenario for it to be a net positive cash flow investment. And you have to include expenses like taxes, mortgage and maintenance to it.

I am not saying this has not worked in the past for many people. But i am not so sure it works for the next 20 years.

You have a better idea how to invest $25k today?

This was my serious response to this thread.

Good luck.

start a small service business you can grow and eventually hire other people to do the work for you

if you can turn that 25 k into an annual income of 50 k, no investment can match that

I know a guy with 3 houses and 4 boats who started cleaning swimming pools out of a subaru baja and now has a kicking business

if you live near money, find things they will pay you to do like dog walking, house sitting, oral, house keeping, etc etc

:lol:

I would actually buy a rental house. Something in a rental area for like 200k. Pay any extra rental income towards principal. Pay that mofo off in 19 years. Get a nice Schedule E deduction along the way.

That is my current plan. Trying to buy a couple of vacation rentals and handing them over to a good property manager. I also flirted with buying a couple of condos and renting them out on a monthly basis to long term renters. I am leaning towards the vacation properties simply because there is some serious value there as people are dumping their luxury items.

Gold and Silver...preferably Silver IMO. Though, land isnt a bad idea, if you dont know how to maintain it or work the land then it can be a horrible investment. Precious metals will not only hedge you against inflation, but with the current supression of the metals price (to maintain the support of the dollar) its the best investment out there today because it will add profit once it re-adjusts ratio wise (Gold/silver ratio, and thus why I prefer Silver) as well as when it accounts for all the paper money in circulation. Also, when people begin to realize that their paper dollars are trash, which hasnt happened yet, the population will run to Gold first...but once Gold reaches ridiculous highs then the next best thing to run to to preserve wealth will be silver. Silver's trading at $22 an oz right now. Its ridiculously undervalued. Not to mention that its actual "money".

And most important, the metals are a liquid commodity....very easy to get off your hands in the future; preferably for another asset with the ability for cash flow....like real estate.

Archived