Worst NFL Head Coaches

Smashmouth

Top 5 worst coaches in the NFL

1. Mike Singletary

2. Gary Kubiak

3. Brad Childress

4. Wade Phillips

5. Josh Mcdaniels

Waiting to break into the top 5 Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, and good ole Mangini

2 through 5 are all better than Eric Mangini. I haven't seen enough of Singletary to know if he's worse than Manstupid, but he might be.

Wade Phillips is what Rex would be if he was gelded.

1. Norv Turner-can't believe how much him and Wannested got of those years with the Cowboys. 2 of the worst coaches you can ever find and they keep getting jobs because they won superbowls as assistants on an all-star team.

2. Chan Gailey-another guy who keeps getting jobs and I don't know how. He's living off his years at Pittsburg, but he's an offensive guy. And Pittsburg was always good because of their great D, and conservitive O. Don't get it. The guy sucked at the college level.

Notice how they're all young or early career guys?

If McDaniels is a bad coach in 20 years something went terribly wrong. I don't think there's a better under-40 coach in the league. No young coach understands QB play better, except maybe our young Schottenheimer...but I'm just opening myself up for an a$$ whooping by saying this.

Same for Spags...even Mangini really...

My top 5 worst head coaches:

2. Wade Phillips

3. Norv Turner

1. Mike Singletary - Still don't get why he's still a HC. Yes, he brought discipline to a young team that needed it...No, he's not a good enough X's and O's guy for the job...and I'm not sure he's capable of staffing himself well.

4. Brad Childress

5. Probably Chan Gailey...but he's basically a temp...then again Singletary was supposed to be a temp.

I'm a Kubiak fan too...The Texans are probably the most fun offense in the league to watch when they're on...He and his QB know how to use that Andre Johnson fellow...

Mangini. 2 teams. 4+ seasons. 28-39 record. 1 playoff appearance. Headed one of the great, great regular season collapses of the 21st century. Currently 0-3. If you evaluate coaches by results, then yep, it's Eric Mangini.

That's actually very true.

Long term who knows, but right now he's got the lowest rep in the league as a HC for a reason. He should take a coordinator job like SMC said a whiles back. It was going to happen anyway, he really wasn't ready for his first coaching job let alone his second.

I still think he's going to be a good HC somewhere in the long run.

1. Singletary

2. Mangini

3. Phillips

4. Turner

5. Childress

2 through 5 are all better than Eric Mangini. I haven't seen enough of Singletary to know if he's worse than Manstupid, but he might be.

Wade Phillips is what Rex would be if he was gelded.

At least Singletary has some character and ability to motivate. Mangini was stone faced 24/7.

At least Singletary has some character and ability to motivate. Mangini was stone faced 24/7.

Mike Singletary is a terrible HC. He's even less qualified for the job than Mangini...well unless you buy the whole "well he PLAYED football broseph! He knows what it's LIKE out there on the fields(!)" thing.

Mike Singletary is a terrible HC. He's even less qualified for the job than Mangini...well unless you buy the whole "well he PLAYED football broseph! He knows what it's LIKE out there on the fields(!)" thing.

I'd still take him over Mangini, I don't think he's worse than him.

I don't understand how Wade Phillips is not #1 on their lists.

1)Wade Phillips

2)Jack Del Rio

3)Brad Childress

4)Norv Turner

5)Tom Cable

I actually think Phillips is underrated - I like how agressive he is on clutch downs on defense, he's sort of like Rex in that way.

I can't believe that any jets fan wouldn't include Herm on their list. Rich Kotite is also missing.

The all time worst HC ever has to be Herm Edwards. He decimated KC after he forced his way out of here.

Herm's only redeeming quality is he opened the door for Rex.

I can't believe that any jets fan wouldn't include Herm on their list. Rich Kotite is also missing.

The all time worst HC ever has to be Herm Edwards. He decimated KC after he forced his way out of here.

wait, what?? you do realize that there were 3 years between herm and rex, right? also im pretty sure this list pertains to current coaches, not espn loudmouths.

wait, what?? you do realize that there were 3 years between herm and rex, right? also im pretty sure this list pertains to current coaches, not espn loudmouths.

Wasn't aware that it was only current HC's.

Yeah, there was the Eric Mangina regime we had to suffer through, but Herm decimated the team and I believe that he influenced Woody into hiring a disciplinary type HC who turned out to be a paranoid loser.

Both Herm and Mangina opened the door for Rex.

It's a bit hard to throw Singletary and Mangini on a "worst" list is hard because I dont think there's any coach in the league that could win games with those QB situations. A "name" coach would have gone into those jobs and immediately do what Shanahan did in Washington--go and lock down the QB position with a player that, at the very least, isn't a net negative for you. Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Jake Delhomme and Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson are coach killers. Did Ken Whisenhunt become a bad coach when Kurt Warner retired? Did Bill Belichick become a great coach when Tom Brady emerged? (No, Gato, this does not exonerate Brian Schottenheimer from sucking).

Mangini was 8-3 in his last season here until Favre's arm blew up. That's not the worst coach in the league. And Singletary has done a lot of good things in San Fran, getting that team cleaned out and at least propped up for an eventual run. Give him Donovan McNabb and they're likely talking about Singletary as Coach of the Year material pretty soon.

That said, the WCitL has to lose despite the presence of copious talent and also has to have been in the job a while--long enough to have changed over enough of the roster to fit his schemes. Currently, there are only two HC's that fit this criteria. The WCitL's are...

1. Norv Turner-- Great OC that can get his offense running downhill against even the best defenses, but overmatched as a Head Coach and a leader of men.

2. Wade Phillips-- the Norv Turner of Defensive Coordinators.

This is current NFL coaches. How exactly did Edwards open the door for Rex ?

Honorable mention to John Fox and Todd Haley.

McDaniels may understand the QB position, but he also ran out a top 3 talent at WR for no apparent reason other than ego. Not to mention, drafted Tim Tebow in the first round. He's an idiot.

It's a bit hard to throw Singletary and Mangini on a "worst" list is hard because I dont think there's any coach in the league that could win games with those QB situations. A "name" coach would have gone into those jobs and immediately do what Shanahan did in Washington--go and lock down the QB position with a player that, at the very least, isn't a net negative for you. Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Jake Delhomme and Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson are coach killers. Did Ken Whisenhunt become a bad coach when Kurt Warner retired? Did Bill Belichick become a great coach when Tom Brady emerged? (No, Gato, this does not exonerate Brian Schottenheimer from sucking).

Mangini was 8-3 in his last season here until Favre's arm blew up. That's not the worst coach in the league. And Singletary has done a lot of good things in San Fran, getting that team cleaned out and at least propped up for an eventual run. Give him Donovan McNabb and they're likely talking about Singletary as Coach of the Year material pretty soon.

That said, the WCitL has to lose despite the presence of copious talent and also has to have been in the job a while--long enough to have changed over enough of the roster to fit his schemes. Currently, there are only two HC's that fit this criteria. The WCitL's are...

1. Norv Turner-- Great OC that can get his offense running downhill against even the best defenses, but overmatched as a Head Coach and a leader of men.

2. Wade Phillips-- the Norv Turner of Defensive Coordinators.

Well at some point a HC has to go to the GM and have a sit down and say, "I cant win with these QB's we need to make a move"

On Mangini and Bretts arm blowing up... A real coach with balls would have sat his a$$ down because Favre was Hidious those last 5 weeks. We had Ratliff and Clemens and at the time The Jets were talking up Ratty . Weather or not they could have handled the job at least they could throw the football.

Ever notice all of these Belly disciples(McDaniels, Haley, Mangini) would rather lose with "their guys" and "their way" rather than win with their best talent. If I were a fan of the Browns, Chiefs or Broncos I'd be livid. All three of those guys are jack asses.

Archived