WHY

Green Jets & Ham

Why are the Colts allowed to keep two RB's ... James and Rhodes ... by re-signing one and franchising the other ... and even keep their RT {Ryan Diem} by getting him re-signed before he hit the open market as well?

Why are the Seahawks allowed to keep Matt Hasselbeck AND Shaun Alexander by employing the same strategy ... re-signing one and franchising the other?

Why are the Raiders allowed to do the same ... re-sign Porter and franchise Woodson, thus keeping their BIG TWO free agents just before either man was to hit the street?

Why are these teams all allowed to pull this off by employing the same exact strategy ... afterall, isn't this strategy against the rules? :-k

I could of sworn it was {against the rules} ... how else to explain why WE DIDN'T DO THE SAME!!! with John Abe and Lamont?

GJ & Ham

You know that Lamont as much as we want him to stay is not going to get the money or playing time guarantee he wants here. Much as I do not want him to go -I just can not see him here in a Jet uniform next year.

And one more "WHY" while we're at it

Why were we in such a hurry to use the franchise tag on John Abraham?

Why didn't we use every last minute in an attempt to get this Abe re-signed to an extension, as apparantly ALL OF THE ABOVE did with one of their BIG FISHES ... so we could use the tag elsewhere, like oh say, on Lamont Jordan?

i was wondering that too...but its still possible that we can keep both,,, [-o<

No, it's not possible ... Lamont is a Goner

Only way to keep him would have been to tag him ... or at least place ourselves in a position to acquire a high draft pick in a trade ... but that could only have happened had we first re-signed Abe

Only way to keep him would have been to tag him ... or at least place ourselves in a position to acquire a high draft pick in a trade ... but that could only have happened had we first re-signed Abe

Why would he stay? Herm has lied to him every off season - promising him more carries. Curtis had two bad ankles a couple of years ago and lamont still didn't get the ball. I would love for him to stay, but would be shocked.

BTW, does this strategy these teams are employing ring a bell?

These teams that went into the off-season with TWO BIG FREE AGENTS they wanted to keep, all using the same strategy to do so, by re-signing one guy before the deadline and then tagging the other ... does this strategy ring a bell?

Anyone recall a post over at JI where a certain poster practically assured the board that the Jets would re-sign Abe to an extension prior to the deadline and then use the tag on Jordan, thus keeping both of their BIG FISHES?

Well that poster {uh, me} had it right ... only he had it right for seemingly every damn team in the league that entered the off-season with two big free agents to keep EXCEPT THE JETS!!

Why are the Colts allowed to keep two RB's ... James and Rhodes ... by re-signing one and franchising the other ... and even keep their RT {Ryan Diem} by getting him re-signed before he hit the open market as well?

Why are the Seahawks allowed to keep Matt Hasselbeck AND Shaun Alexander by employing the same strategy ... re-signing one and franchising the other?

Why are the Raiders allowed to do the same ... re-sign Porter and franchise Woodson, thus keeping their BIG TWO free agents just before either man was to hit the street?

Why are these teams all allowed to pull this off by employing the same exact strategy ... afterall, isn't this strategy against the rules? :-k

I could of sworn it was {against the rules} ... how else to explain why WE DIDN'T DO THE SAME!!! with John Abe and Lamont?

Ham man, what are you talking about?????

Did we not top them all by retaining three, count em three of our top FA's?????

Pennington

Ellis

and Tagged ABraham

Ham, at some point those teams are going to have to be the Titans of this year--lopping heads off and looking like fools. I don't even think Lamont's thing is about money anymore--the man wants and deserves carries, and unless Dinger pulls Cmart in his office and demotes him, Lamont will be in the same boat again next year, hoping to break 100 carries. Dinger wasn't able to manage the Chris Brown-Eddie George situation too gracefully, and I'm sure Lamont's agent has already mentioned this to him.

tagging lamont would have been a terrible move man, how can you sit here and justify what 13, 14, 15 million tied up in the running back position in one year?????

MPG, I don't count Penny and Ellis cause they were both re-signed IN SEASON

We went into the OFF SEASON with two big free agents to keep ... f**k fergy and K-Mac ... we needed to keep Abe and Jordan

Now look at what these other teams that went into the OFF SEASON facing the same dilemma have done ... they have done EXACTLY what I suggested the Jets should/would do ... re-sign one guy before the deadline and tag the other

And that's why these teams are keeping their BIG TWO while the Jets are not

You Guys are missing the point ... if I didn't have to run I'd explain it too you

The short version ... if you tag Jordan you have the hammer to iron out a long-term deal with the player or trade him for something of value ... either option becomes a real one ... but this way we lose him for nothing

Gotta book ... think about that for awhile, guys

MPG, I don't count Penny and Ellis cause they were both re-signed IN SEASON

We went into the OFF SEASON with two big free agents to keep ... f**k fergy and K-Mac ... we needed to keep Abe and Jordan

Now look at what these other teams that went into the OFF SEASON facing the same dilemma have done ... they have done EXACTLY what I suggested the Jets should/would do ... re-sign one guy before the deadline and tag the other

And that's why these teams are keeping their BIG TWO while the Jets are not

i still dont get it, I dont want to resign Boo Boo Abraham to any long deal

he's dead in my book, D-E-A-D

tag and trade him, he has more value on the market than any RB

Ham, you're forgetting the BIG factor here. Terry Bradway isn't slick enough to manage the whole now-you-seee-it-now-you-don't act with the tag while still ending up with both players. No doubt if he left the tag off of Abraham, who is leaving (I have NO doubt), that Abe would already have a contract in his back pocket from some other team and just sitting on the beach somewhere waiting for March 2nd to roll around to announce it. Then we'd lose him for zero, and we'd be paying Lamont 6 mil, with his agent haveing ALL of the leverage.

• 11 years later...
On February 23, 2005 at 9:56 AM, Green Jets & Ham said:

Why not?

On February 23, 2005 at 10:49 AM, TomShane said:

Ham, you're forgetting the BIG factor here. Terry Bradway isn't slick enough to manage the whole now-you-seee-it-now-you-don't act with the tag while still ending up with both players. No doubt if he left the tag off of Abraham, who is leaving (I have NO doubt), that Abe would already have a contract in his back pocket from some other team and just sitting on the beach somewhere waiting for March 2nd to roll around to announce it. Then we'd lose him for zero, and we'd be paying Lamont 6 mil, with his agent haveing ALL of the leverage.

I don't believe I typed this. I never, ever would have made the "haveing" typo. Never.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't believe I typed this. I never, ever would have made the "haveing" typo. Never.

Tom I spent like 73 hours editing your old posts in silent mode. Mostly I changed than to then. Some you're were change to your.

History won't be kind to you.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You joke, but this is the kind of low-key insidious thing you specialize in.

Oh I would definitely spend 73 hours of my life on a joke that would infuriate an 84 year old Tom Shane. No doubt about it.

Archived