Players speak out against hard hitting rule

GREENBEAN

We should really merge all these hits conversations. This is relative to the posts I was making about James Harrison...

Harrison was saying the same thing, and if you've ever played, you'll agree. These plays are happening wayyy too fast to be that cautious. I'd even venture to argue if you start going into these plays more tentatively, that you are actually more prone to get hurt. But further, its a double standard. Offense can get away with face masks and helmet to helmet, but not defenders...sh*t aint right.

It not even that, they are taught not to think. They are trained to play with reaction and instinct. When you think on the field you play slow. Look what are they supposed to do when an offensive player dodges and the defensive player who is already in the process of making a tackle, can't avoid hitting him in the head. It's wrong.

I really may give up watching football, this is crossing a line

It wasn't a good, hart hit. It was illegal under the rules that have been in place for some time now.

Robinson was penalized for the hit BEFORE the NFL came out and said that there will be more enforcement of the rules.

That said, I do agree that Anderson screwed up in saying something to Mort or allowing himself to get misquoted. The bottom line is that Robinson's hit was an illegal hit under longstanding rules. It was not all of a sudden made illegal by new rules or new interpretation.

If they start to enforce the the rule exactly as it is written then there will be at least 20 penalties a game for aggressive teams.

For what it's worth I thought the Revis hit was worse then the Leonard hit but it wasn't even brought up as a hard hit because the receiver bounced right back up. If the receiver had stayed on the ground then the media would be bringing up that play as well.

Also that same exact hit would of been a penalty as far as the wording of the rule you posted.

the nfl is about making money

they don't want to see a guy get killed, literally, on the field or paralyzed or squished or whatever

so they are trying to stop that from happening

it's all about the product being appealing to more people, globally

simple

I have 2 instances where I would like to know if they would be penalties, fines, or suspension.

1. Ray Lewis's hit on Keller week one, does this fall into the devastating category? If so I quit watching football.

2. David Harris' hit on Ronnie Brown on the screen pass he snuffed out, in this instance he blasted him while he was in the process of catching the ball, the hit was chest to chest, facemask to facemask, where does this fall? Its hits like these that has made the NFL.

Great quote right here:

Steve Breaston

"Say it's third-and-15 and you go across the middle. As a defender, you try to dislodge that ball so he doesn't make the catch. Now, it's what, you let them catch it? You make the tackle, but they pick up the first down? I don't know."

This is what kills me. Even offensive players don't like it. FU Goodell!

You guys are totally misunderstanding this "rule" and so are these idiot players. The rules hasnt changed at all, the only thing that changed is the punishment. It's not a "hard hitting" rule its a illegal hitting punishment change. Obviousely the plays are still going to be reviewed too and if they see an intent to injure somebody it used to be a fine, now its a suspension. All they have to do is stop leading with the tops of their helmets into the opposing players faces. If the offense changes direction and causes an accidental helmet to helmet I'm sure the NFL will review that and see it was not intent.

You guys are totally misunderstanding this "rule" and so are these idiot players. The rules hasnt changed at all, the only thing that changed is the punishment. It's not a "hard hitting" rule its a illegal hitting punishment change. Obviousely the plays are still going to be reviewed too and if they see an intent to injure somebody it used to be a fine, now its a suspension. All they have to do is stop leading with the tops of their helmets into the opposing players faces. If the offense changes direction and causes an accidental helmet to helmet I'm sure the NFL will review that and see it was not intent.

They are enforcing something that you are taught in pee wee. Do not lead with the crown of your head.

They will look to measure intent (a hard thing to do) and simultaneously protect their most important asset to some degree (the players). No one wants to see what happened to the Rutgers player this weekend. THAT is what they are trying to eliminate. That and the realization that concussions can screw you up.

Bullsh*t. Nobody has a problem with the illegality of spearing or helmet-to-helmet hits (except maybe that idiot Crowder). We are complaining about this defenseless player bullsh*t. I can buy it on a pass that is overthrown by 20 feet, but what Leonhard did? There was nothing wrong with that, but AFAIK the league has said that was a good call. If that was illegal the NFL is in trouble.

Bullsh*t. Nobody has a problem with the illegality of spearing or helmet-to-helmet hits (except maybe that idiot Crowder). We are complaining about this defenseless player bullsh*t. I can buy it on a pass that is overthrown by 20 feet, but what Leonhard did? There was nothing wrong with that, but AFAIK the league has said that was a good call. If that was illegal the NFL is in trouble.

Leonhard wasn't fined, where is the issue there?

Are you kidding me? That was a bad call. End of story.

Like thats never happened in the NFL before? The new rule has nothing to do with that. Besides what I'm saying isnt made up its a fact, they said the rules havent changed, only the punishment has. People are getting in an uproar over nothing.

The play would have been flagged regardless. He went head hunting, which is unsportsmanlike.

The fine is between he and the league.

Did you see the highlight? He was clearly not headhunting. It was a perfectly legal tackle. Its not Robinson's fault Jackson is tiny. That is a textbook way to tackle a receiver crossing the middle of the field. Knock the guy on his a$$ and let him know he cant run freely in the middle of the field without paying the price.

Are you kidding me? That was a bad call. End of story.

Like thats never happened in the NFL before? The new rule has nothing to do with that. Besides what I'm saying isnt made up its a fact, they said the rules havent changed, only the punishment has. People are getting in an uproar over nothing.

I'm not kidding you. They are not just mentioning using the helmet. They are talking about "defenseless players". Crushing defenseless players is what the NFL is built on. Destroy the weak. That rule has been on the books and it is a sucky rule. Especially when it comes down to allowing completions.

I'm not kidding you. They are not just mentioning using the helmet. They are talking about "defenseless players". Crushing defenseless players is what the NFL is built on. Destroy the weak. That rule has been on the books and it is a sucky rule. Especially when it comes down to allowing completions.

I'd say its the offensive players fault for putting himself in a defenseless position.

WHat about on interceptions? Are defensive players not allow to use the crackback block anymore? That was always on of the funnest hits in football....decleating a guy that's bigger than you when he isnt expecting it.

I'd say its the offensive players fault for putting himself in a defenseless position.

It used to be on the quarterback to not lead his receiver into contact. That was before Peyton Manning and Drew Brees starting putting up arcade numbers throwing it across the middle of the field, though.

So what changed? You just stated yourself that was already the rule. If you think the NFL was built on helmet to helmet hit on defenseless receivers and enjoy seeing that than you got bigger problems then worrying about a rule change. These are still ****in people man, theyre not invincible and those hit at the speed these player are moving are dangerous and could paralyze players. And please understand I'm not talking about all hard hits, or even all hits on defenseless recievers. I'm talking about when players launch themselves with the crown of their helmets at a defenseless receiver.

Did you see the highlight? He was clearly not headhunting. It was a perfectly legal tackle. Its not Robinson's fault Jackson is tiny. That is a textbook way to tackle a receiver crossing the middle of the field. Knock the guy on his a$$ and let him know he cant run freely in the middle of the field without paying the price.

First of all thats not a tackle at all, it's a HIT. I actually think that hit was debateable too, i dont know if their was intent to injure anyone there but he got his punishment anyway because he hurt himself too.

So what changed? You just stated yourself that was already the rule. If you think the NFL was built on helmet to helmet hit on defenseless receivers and enjoy seeing that than you got bigger problems then worrying about a rule change. These are still ****in people man, theyre not invincible and those hit at the speed these player are moving are dangerous and could paralyze players. And please understand I'm not talking about all hard hits, or even all hits on defenseless recievers. I'm talking about when players launch themselves with the crown of their helmets at a defenseless receiver.

It's a horsesh*t rule and if they enforce it that's what we'll be watching.

Butkus, Lane, Nitschke, Blount... those guys weren't spearing people, but they sure hit a ton of "defenseless" players.

I have said it repeatedly. I have no problem with outlawing and enforcing leading with your helmet, but some of this will be a problem.

Archived