Don't sign a QB... draft a QB

GlennFoley

I don't want Volek,Rivers,Brees.. or whomever you guys are talking about next year.. Why?

Rivers-We would have to give up AT LEAST a 1st rounder, and pay a big contract for a guy who we've never seen play in the NFL before... Sure you can consider Rivers as the 1st round pick, but I believe we will get into a bidding war for him, and have to give San Diego even more then a 1st round pick to get him..

Volek- I would like to have Volek if he was 26, but he's going to be 30 next year, and has never played a full season(sound familiar) Volek is also on the small side, and I don't see him surviving with our OL. I don't want to have to give Tennesee King's Ransom for him..which we will in order to get him..

Brees- Brees will be 27 next year so age isn't the problem. The problem is; like Rivers the contract, and the value we have to give up for him. The real bad thing with Brees is that we would have to give him a new contract which always causes problems..

This is a goood draft class for QB's.. If not Leinart you have..

Omar Jacobs

Vince Young(probably)

Jay Cutler

Brett Basanez

D.J Shockley(probably)

Brody Croyle

Darrell Hackney

The beauty about this is you can get some QB's with potential(Cutler, Basenez, Shockley, Hackney) in rounds 3-6..

Right, nothing like drafting an unproven QB who's gonna take at least a few years to develop. Just in time for free agency.

I'm not a fan at all of drafting a QB in the 1st unless you're drafting one to develop (i.e. Aaron Rogers)

Trade a pick for a proven QB instead of gambling a guy who might be able to play.

We can't draft a quarterback in the 1st round because we still have Pussington under that huge contract. We have to draft a QB on the first day, but in the second or third round. Basanez, Jacobs, or Cutler all sound good to me. If the guy we draft doesn't work out, then we will have to wait until we can eat Pussington's contract before drafting a first round quarterback.

Rivers doesnt have a big contract, get your facts straight. His cap hit next year is under 1 million!

He'd be our best option, aside from drafting a QB in the 1st rd which probably wont happen. My guess is they go Oline in the 1st rd.

Yo barton, Cimini said last night that Rivers "isn't even on the Jets radar".

Rivers-We would have to give up AT LEAST a 1st rounder, and pay a big contract for a guy who we've never seen play in the NFL before... Sure you can consider Rivers as the 1st round pick, but I believe we will get into a bidding war for him, and have to give San Diego even more then a 1st round pick to get him..

This logic makes no sense....

You don't want to trade a first rd pick for rivers b/c he's never played..but you want to draft someone whose never played ..I dont get it!

Rivers is a consensus TOP 5 Pick...

Those are the players you WANT in the draft...I'd trade a 1 and a 3 for him...

I repeat..That's like trading B Thomas and BJ Askew...

Picks mean NOTHING if you don't use them right.

the only real FA next year worth talking about is Drew Brees. Schaub, Volek and Rivers are all under contract and their respective teams seem to be wary to trade. Why trade a great backup when you see what happened to the Jets? McNair might shake loose from Tennessee and frankly i see this as the most realistic option - that being said his body is a mess. But overall we are talking about a very slim FA crop.

the only real FA next year worth talking about is Drew Brees. Schaub, Volek and Rivers are all under contract and their respective teams seem to be wary to trade. Why trade a great backup when you see what happened to the Jets? McNair might shake loose from Tennessee and frankly i see this as the most realistic option - that being said his body is a mess. But overall we are talking about a very slim FA crop.

well i doubt sd will keep both, most backups dont make the cash rivers does.

i agree, i would love to get brees, but mcnair, NEVER,,,

not at this point in career with his injury woes coupled with a crap OL we have..

because of the slim supply, drew brees will get paid... seriously. With his height and performance in really big games I wouldn't touch him for what's he's gonna get on the open market. I don't know what the answer is but i don't think there are any "sure things" or "slam dunks"

because of the slim supply, drew brees will get paid... seriously. With his height and performance in really big games I wouldn't touch him for what's he's gonna get on the open market. I don't know what the answer is but i don't think there are any "sure things" or "slam dunks"

I agree Bit he is going to get paid but I hope it isn't here. He is a lot like Chad. He needs a running game and won't lose the game for you. He is a great QB when his team is ahead.

As we have learned this year, that isn't always enough.

I don't see the Jets drafting a QB in round 1, because Herm and Terry might be on thin ice entering next season.

Would you stake your job on a rookie, who will not play and take several years to develop? Not when you need to win now, and although we have a relatively young team, we also have vets like Martin and Mawae that do not have much time left. They would not like the idea of using a high pick on someone that will not be able to contribute immediately.

There is far too much at risk to draft a kid in round one. The money for qb's is historically higher than any other position and the Jets are already shelling out too much for a damaged, brittle, Mr. Glass, who might never play another down. The kid probably would sit, so we're now talking two years before we get anything of substance. He might also tank.

We're not going to get Brees, becasue he will cost too much and too many other teams are hungry for a qb.

In all likelihood, Bradway will try and find his own Jake Delhomme. Matt Schaub is the kid he wants, but everyone else wants him as well.

Shaub could probably be had for the Jets 2nd round pick next year.

It will be high enough that the Falcons may bite.

Shaub on the Jets is a scary proposition as an opposing fan.

i really like shaub. i know ATL will want a high pick in return - but what about packaging a middle-rd pick, fiedler, and someone like mccairens? i hate to give up a #2 with all of the holes and would like to see cotchery get a chance to play.

You dont trade a pick, fiedler and jmac for a guy with 1 game exp...

a pick can get it done..a #2 and a lower rd pick...

All I know is next year the jets (I hope) have a NEW feature back and a NEW QB..they also need a wr threat.

Shaub is beginning to remind me of that kid from the Eagles a few years ago. You know the guy, the Fins trade a first day pick for him and he never did anything!!!

The only thing that Schaub has done is put up big numbers against a lousy secondary in the one game that he played. Browning Nagle was awesome in his first game too and well, the rest is history.

Archived