Bart Scott to Welker "Be very careful what you say about our coach. His (Welker's) days in a uniform will be numbered. Put it like that."

Matt39

Jets inside linebacker Bart Scott is not laughing off Wes Welker's Thursday comments that included several references to the word "foot," in what many saw as poking fun at New York coach Rex Ryan.

"I'll tell you what," Scott said, according to Newsday. "Be very careful what you say about our coach. His (Welker's) days in a uniform will be numbered. Put it like that."

Welker made 11 references to the word "foot" during his remarks on Thursday, which seemed to be a joking reference to the "foot fetish" videos on the Internet that are believed to feature Ryan and his wife, Michelle.

Ryan would not be drawn into that particular debate on Friday, saying "I can take it. I'm not going to discuss it, but I can take it."

But Antonio Cromartie, who called Tom Brady a nasty name in the New York media early this week, saw it as evidence that the Patriots do talk trash -- but apparently it is buried in some kind of indecipherable code.

"If you read in between the lines, a lot of what they say is directed toward us, but they try to clean it up," Cromartie told Newsday. "It's different, but they are doing the same thing. At the end of the day, it's trash talking no matter how you try to put it, how you try to clean it up."

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very un-PC admission; when in week 2 Eric Smith clobbered Welker essentially knocking out of that game and took a 15-yard penalty in the process, I stood up and cheered. It was worth it; Welker was done for the day. I don't wish any ill on anyone. But watching that little guy run wild without anyone hitting him often, hard and regulary is frustrating. Not saying we should go out and commit a 15 yard penalty, but goddamn hit the living sh!t out of him every play. He should have a body on him on the line to hit him(perfectly legal) on passing plays, and if he blocks anyone he should be on his a$$ on running plays(also totally legal).

If the Jets concede a little bit against the run and Bart Scott is hanging back a little more than usual, he could lay some hits on Welker.

A lot of people don't appreciate what Bart Scott's job is. But he does so much grunt work. I can't count how many times I have seen him just blow up the pulling guard, even just this year. He breaks plays up and doesn't get all the stats or the fame. But when they grade these games out he is grading high.

Bart Scott couldn't catch Wes Welker if he strapped a rocket booster on his back.

He doesn't need to catch Welker, when Welker's job is to run towards and past him over and over... I expect Scott will manage to find a way to get between points A and B for Welker at least once tomorrow.

i'm sure the nfl will love this one.. lol

NFL warns teams about trash talk, physical threats

CBSSports.com wire reports

Jan. 15, 2011 CHICAGO -- The NFL has warned players to cut out the trash talk, specifically when it threatens other players.

"Ray Anderson reminded players that comments of a physically threatening nature are always taken into account in evaluating discipline for any illegal physical contact on the field," league spokesman Greg Aiello said Saturday.

NFL PlayoffsRelated links

NFL executive vice president of football operations Anderson is the league's chief disciplinarian. He told teams, including all eight remaining in the playoffs, to basically watch it.

Since October, the NFL has ratcheted up its enforcement of hits to defenseless players with a series of fines -- and the threat of suspension. No suspensions have been handed out, but the recent rash of trash talk before playoff games prompted Anderson to further emphasize the need to respect the game and opponents.

Earlier this week, Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie described Patriots quarterback Tom Brady with a derogatory term. New York is at New England on Sunday in the final divisional round game this weekend.

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs wore a T-shirt with a Raven on it extending a middle finger. Suggs said he was "representing" Baltimore as it headed to Saturday's playoff game at Pittsburgh.

In the second meeting of the regular season between the AFC North rivals, the Ravens broke Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's nose -- accidentally -- on a hit by nose tackle Haloti Ngata.

"I was glad we broke his nose," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said with a wry grin this week, "and I was very impressed he played through it. Obviously, you can throw very effectively with a broken nose. He proved that."

Although Harbaugh was kidding, the comment did rankle some people in Pittsburgh, and perhaps elsewhere around the league.

Jets coach Rex Ryan mentioned this week that players need to dislike their opponents at this time of year.

"You shouldn't like who you are going up against right now," he said. "This is the playoffs. I can tell you our whole team respects Brady and the Patriots. But hey, we don't like any of them right now. You shouldn't. [Former Jets running back] Danny Woodhead is a great kid, but I can't stand Danny Woodhead right now.

"I think that's just part of it, and trust me, the feeling is mutual."

I know I'll be killed for saying this, but it's just not cool for any NFL player to threaten another player's career like this. Stupid, too, for an ILB to do it. All it would take is one Logan Mankins helmet to the knee to put Bart into a two-year search for his kneecap.

I know I'll be killed for saying this, but it's just not cool for any NFL player to threaten another player's career like this. Stupid, too, for an ILB to do it. All it would take is one Logan Mankin helmet to the knee to put Bart into a two-year search for his kneecap.

Word, next time just hire a button man.

I know I'll be killed for saying this, but it's just not cool for any NFL player to threaten another player's career like this. Stupid, too, for an ILB to do it. All it would take is one Logan Mankin helmet to the knee to put Bart into a two-year search for his kneecap.

Its like the Jets dont know when to shut up. Last year the bluster was cute and cool, but Im sick of this team being universally hated by any and everyone. I thought the trash wouldve stopped after Cromartie but for Bart Scott to say something like this is ****in' stupid. Let's hope he actually shows up tomorrow.

Better yet why dont you keep your head in Tom Bradys crotch and STOP posting here. Your posts suck.

Its like the Jets dont know when to shut up. Last year the bluster was cute and cool, but Im sick of this team being universally hated by any and everyone. I thought the trash wouldve stopped after Cromartie but for Bart Scott to say something like this is ****in' stupid. Let's hope he actually shows up tomorrow.

Who cares? What team is universally liked? Maybe the closest you can find is a team like the Cowboys, but everyone I know hates them. IMO it's alot more entertaining to root for the villians.

This is pretty stupid of Bart. Why say something like this when it is already hard enough to win with the home field advantage the refs give New England already. Now they have a built in excuse. This 1 comment alone could very well be the reason the Jets get screwed more than usual by the refs against New England. Really stupid Bart!

I like the comment. Should he threaten a player's livelihood? Eh... probably not, but Bart's telling them clearly that the Jets are 100% behind Rex, and you don't fvck with Rex. That I like.

Jets seem to be pretty fired up for this game and Rex seems unnaturally subdued.

Over his last six games against the Jets, Welker averages 8 catches for about 100 yards per game. I'll settle for somebody simply covering Welker, forget about killing him.

You are a little gash

Grow one testicle, please

It's football....maybe Welker might think twice about going over the middle

The first time Scott hits a Pats WR or TE over the middle will be the first time in the last 60 minutes of play between these two teams that he actually did he's job.

Does he realize how much he and the entire middle of the Jets D sucked against the Pats the last time they played? He should shut up and play great football. He was embarrased on the field the last time these two teams played. After we win and the D plays great he can say that was for the coach, not before not the way he and the rest of the D played in a national game in front of all of their peers and their fans.

Archived