The Coin Toss

DMaynard

I'll get this complaint out of the way early. It does not even have to wait for the game to start. Rex has already said if the Jets win the toss, they will defer. So the Patriots will get the ball first unless a miracle happens and Belichick defers. That is why I can complain already.

I think that is very wrong. The most important thing for this game is to try not to fall behind early. I don't know the stats, but I imagine with the way the Pats have been piling up early leads, they have been very successful on their first drives. It is important for the jets to set the tone in this game with their OFFENSE. A ball control offense. If they win the toss, take the opportunity to score first. Or, at least get some field position, get a typical good punt by Weatherford and let the Pats start their drive inside their 20, instead of the 35 where they will probably start with a typical kickoff from pig nose Folk. It will not help our kickoff coverage either if either or both of the Smiths are not in coverage because of their injuries.

As far as not wanting Brady to get the ball after halftime, who cares? We will either be in a dogfight at that point because the Jets defense is playing well or the game will be another rout because Brady is killing us.

I'll get this complaint out of the way early. It does not even have to wait for the game to start. Rex has already said if the Jets win the toss, they will defer. So the Patriots will get the ball first unless a miracle happens and Belichick defers. That is why I can complain already.

I think that is very wrong. The most important thing for this game is to try not to fall behind early. I don't know the stats, but I imagine with the way the Pats have been piling up early leads, they have been very successful on their first drives. It is important for the jets to set the tone in this game with their OFFENSE. A ball control offense. If they win the toss, take the opportunity to score first. Or, at least get some field position, get a typical good punt by Weatherford and let the Pats start their drive inside their 20, instead of the 35 where they will probably start with a typical kickoff from pig nose Folk. It will not help our kickoff coverage either if either or both of the Smiths are not in coverage because of their injuries.

As far as not wanting Brady to get the ball after halftime, who cares? We will either be in a dogfight at that point because the Jets defense is playing well or the game will be another rout because Brady is killing us.

I disagree with you for a few reasons:

1. The Jets O had been horrid in the 1st quarter and pretty much the 1st half in general. Why will Sunday be any different?

2. The Jets have been a good second half team. Why not give Sanchez more possessions in the 2nd half?

3. Sanchez gets the jitters in big games like this. Get the Kick Off in the 2nd half when he has had time to calm down.

Looking back at the blow out loss in the last game the Jets drove the ball to start the 2nd half until the stupid interception. If they score there, it's a much closer game I think. I like the stratgey of getting the ball 1st in the second half.

I disagree with you for a few reasons:

1. The Jets O had been horrid in the 1st quarter and pretty much the 1st half in general. Why will Sunday be any different?

2. The Jets have been a good second half team. Why not give Sanchez more possessions in the 2nd half?

3. Sanchez gets the jitters in big games like this. Get the Kick Off in the 2nd half when he has had time to calm down.

Looking back at the blow out loss in the last game the Jets drove the ball to start the 2nd half until the stupid interception. If they score there, it's a much closer game I think. I like the stratgey of getting the ball 1st in the second half.

You may be right, but my gut feeling is we can't play this like the Browns or Lions. We have to be better than we have been and more aggressive than we have been in the first half. Or we lose. Getting the ball first in the second half does not do much good if we are down by 3 TDs.

Any Madden player can tell you that you always want to defer. When the NFL rules were changed a couple years ago to ALLOW deferring, BB immediately started deferring.

That's nice, but in the real world, you have to coach based upon the situations you face. I just think that if the Jets kickoff and the Pats march it right down the field for a TD, that would take a lot of air out of the Jets balloon that Ryan has so pumped up. It will be difficult to start the Jets first drive with a patient ground and pound mentality knowing that if they go three and out, they could very quickly be behind 14 - 0.

You may be right, but my gut feeling is we can't play this like the Browns or Lions. We have to be better than we have been and more aggressive than we have been in the first half. Or we lose. Getting the ball first in the second half does not do much good if we are down by 3 TDs.

That in bold is the bottom line. Being more aggressive isn't the answer. They need to execute their ball control offense, and finish drives with TD's.

While I would love for Sanchez to eventually develop into a big time passer, and the Jets to develop a big time offense, it's not going to happen this week. Getting more aggressive is what they tried in the 45-3 blowout. The result was quick 3 & outs, turnovers, and an ugly loss. They need to play their game - but better.

Jets have a tone they need to set on defense, too. That's when the Jets strength is going against the Pats strength. That's where this game is going to be won or lost.

Deferring is the smartest thing.

For starters, odds are Brady gets a longer field after a kickoff.

Secondly, you can't risk them scoring in a close game at the end of the 1st and then getting it to start the 2nd.

That's nice, but in the real world, you have to coach based upon the situations you face. I just think that if the Jets kickoff and the Pats march it right down the field for a TD, that would take a lot of air out of the Jets balloon that Ryan has so pumped up. It will be difficult to start the Jets first drive with a patient ground and pound mentality knowing that if they go three and out, they could very quickly be behind 14 - 0.

The same argument can be made about going three and out and then giving your defense a short field to defend. Even if you believe the momentum/emotion argument holds significant merit (I don't), the fact still remains that it should work both way.

Getting the extra possession in the second half is far more important.

Archived