Some info on Lamkin the practice squad additiion to the Jets

faba

Out of football since eighth grade, Lamkin tries to make leap to NFL

Out of football since eighth grade, Lamkin tries to make leap to NFL

By ANDREA ADELSON, AP Sports Writer

November 10, 2005

AP - Nov 10, 2:47 pm EST

More Photos

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The newest member of the Jets practice squad last played football in the eighth grade.

Ahhh, but Corey Lamkin played hoops for four years at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, and that seems to be enough for him to get a shot at playing tight end in the NFL.

Call it the Antonio Gates effect.

``A lot of guys talk about it, you're going to be another Gates!''' Lamkin said. ``I'm like I'll go for it. I'm going to work hard and see what happens. It's kind of an inspiration for what I'm trying to do. He shows that it is possible.''

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Lamkin is a long shot at best to make it in the league. New York coach Herman Edwards calls him ``a project.''

But Lamkin is the latest trying to make the switch from the court to the field, following Gates and Tony Gonzalez. The Denver Broncos also have a basketball player on their practice squad, Wesley Duke, who starred at Mercer.

Trying to make hoops stars into football stars has become a trend, and the injury-depleted Jets are so desperate for players they are willing to give Lamkin a shot. He signed Tuesday, two days after the Jets lost Chris Baker for the season with a broken ankle.

ADVERTISEMENT

``He's got a chance, got great movement skills, soft hands, runs pretty good,'' Edwards said. ``He's an interesting fellow. We'll see.''

Gates, at 6-4 and 260 pounds, has become the premier tight end in the NFL with San Diego because of his tremendous size, strength, speed and ability to get open. But as Jets tight end Doug Jolley said, ``Even Antonio Gates played football in high school, so he knows what it's about.''

That certainly is true. Lamkin's first two practices have been learning experiences. On Thursday, Lamkin tried to chip Shaun Ellis during practice and got bowled over.

``He's doesn't know what he's doing,'' Edwards said. ``He was shocked when he went down there trying to crack Shaun. I told him, 'That's like a pick in basketball.'''

The 23-year-old Lamkin, who recently got married, started playing football and basketball when he was 6 growing up in San Antonio. His father, Carl, was his first coach.

Carl Lamkin remembers Corey played linebacker, running back, tight end and kicker in those days, and said his son was always aggressive no matter what sport he played.

Though he hated giving up football, Lamkin knew that was the sport he had a chance to play in college. He decided to attend Texas A&M-Corpus Christi even though the basketball program had just started up, hoping for the chance to be part of the foundation.

He did that and more. He finished his career this spring as the leading rebounder in school history with 842, and also scored 1,185 points over his four seasons.

Coach Ronnie Arrow gushed about Lamkin's vertical leap, saying his post player would dunk over 7-footers on a regular basis.

``His jumping ability and athletic ability and his strength enabled him to go against guys far bigger than him,'' Arrow said. ``He would get so low to the ground people couldn't move him out. I would presume a trait like that would help him out in football.

``There's not going to be any defensive backs, any ends that are going to have the leaping ability that Corey has.''

Former Jets assistant Phil Pettey felt the same way when he saw Lamkin play, and thought he could convert him into a tight end. The two met through a mutual friend and started working together at Pettey's Corpus Christi gym. Lamkin put on 20 pounds but after six months, Pettey felt he exhausted all the resources he had to help the player get better.

He wanted Lamkin to get experience against other NFL players, so the time was right to send him off to a pro team. When Baker went down, Pettey called the Jets. Lamkin worked out for the team Tuesday and signed a short time later.

Pettey believes Lamkin can make it.

``I wouldn't have sent him there if I didn't,'' Pettey said. ``He'll play on Sundays. He'll be an impact player if he gets the breaks and the right things happen.''

All Lamkin wants is that chance.

``He's really putting his heart and soul into this,'' Carl Lamkin said. ``He doesn't fool with basketball anymore. His hands are trained to catch the football now.''

Archived