****The Official New York Jets vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Game Thread AFC CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION****

Iceman88

The DEFENSE lost the game.

They had a chance to come up with a big stop at the end and they failed miserably.

That said: I'M NOT DEFENDING SCHITTY. Just putting the blame where it squarely belongs: the Defense that gave up 17 easy points in the first half and couldn't get a stop with the game on the line.

Agreed that the D blew it. They gave a horrible effort in the first half. BUT the time management by Schottenheimer and his playcalling when the game was on the line was brutal. Where was the no huddle and sense of urgency when time was running down?

The defense gave up 17, that's supposed to be good enough to win in the NFL. They also scored 2, and had 2 picks. They didn't play great, but I blame the offense more because of how mind numbingly stupid they were.

They gave up 17 points in first half. They gave it up easily too.

...I 'dunno....listening to Rex's presser...he's blaming the Defense too. Just sayin'.

Jet Fans just hate Schitty, that's why.

The defense was awful the 1st half, then played well for a quarter and a half. If the defense made a stop at the end then we would have forgotten about the 1st half, but it couldn't do it.

The D couldn't tackle in the first half, but I don't know for our O to march down the field like we did...burn all that time off the clock...and get stopped four times down at the goal line with some of the ugliest play calling I've ever seen, got to take a lot of the blame too.

I mean the O going out every single game this year it seems and stinking up the 1rst EVERYTIME and most of the first half to boot. Something gotta be done to get this O going early and like someone else said I think you have to look at the fact that in the 1rst is when all the scripted play calls are called and it never works, but we adjust and all of a sudden we get back into games???????

• 6 years later...

Necro'ing this thread because it just occurred to me that there was a sort of a repeat of Jet history.  The Jets trailed 24-0 against the Bills in the 1981 wildcard game and ultimately lost 31-27.  History sort of repeated itself against Pittsburgh.  Trailed 24-0, came back and lost 24-19.  2 playoff games 29 years apart and the Jets fell behind 24-0 both times.

Plus it's fun to necro threads.  :)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198112270nyj.htm

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is single handily the most upsetting moment of my football fandom life. I still have nightmares. My god.. that was our ******* year 

1999 was our year.  We led 10-0 in the 2nd half in Denver with Parcells and Belichick as our HC and DC but lost 23-10.  We had already soundly beaten Atlanta in regular season that year (they would've been our Superbowl opponent).  THAT was our year.  I'm not sure either Rex team would've won it all even had we made it to the Superbowl.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

1999 was our year.  We led 10-0 in the 2nd half in Denver with Parcells and Belichick as our HC and DC but lost 23-10.  We had already soundly beaten Atlanta in regular season that year (they would've been our Superbowl opponent).  THAT was our year.  I'm not sure either Rex team would've won it all even had we made it to the Superbowl.

Dunno about 2009 vs the Saints but 2010 I think we could of gotten GB. We played them that same regular season and there wasn’t a single TD. 9-0 Loss

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Necro'ing this thread because it just occurred to me that there was a sort of a repeat of Jet history.  The Jets trailed 24-0 against the Bills in the 1981 wildcard game and ultimately lost 31-27.  History sort of repeated itself against Pittsburgh.  Trailed 24-0, came back and lost 24-19.  2 playoff games 29 years apart and the Jets fell behind 24-0 both times.

Plus it's fun to necro threads.  :)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198112270nyj.htm

How ******* bored were you today?

• 5 years later...
On 12/30/2017 at 1:06 PM, Patriot Killa said:

This is single handily the most upsetting moment of my football fandom life. I still have nightmares. My god.. that was our ******* year 

Part of my soul legitimately died after this game. Haven’t taken football as seriously since.

• Post of the Week 2

It's long been my contention that this is the game that with a dirty, illegal, (and of course, UNCALLED by the zebras) hit on Marc Sanchez by scumbag James Harrison that ruined our just-coming-into-his-own franchise Quarterback prospect's career. Remember, Sanchez was at this point the winningest Jets QB in the post season.

It was that karate chop hit on Marc's neck/shoulder that caused the incomplete pass a fumble which turned into a Steelers touchdown. I never saw a player run off the field at a 60° angle the way that Sanchez did after that play. Now I hope to find that play's discussion in this thread.