More Lockout News

hoping4ASuperBowl

per Rotoworld:

If the Players Association ends up going through with the decertification process in the event of a lockout, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees will be the lead plaintiffs in an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL.

The union has chosen three widely respected quarterbacks to be the public face if they end up doing battle with the owners in court. The antitrust suit would likely allege, among other things, that franchise tags and the salary cap are in violation of their rights. As of 4:30 ET, an extension to "stop the clock" in CBA talks seems likely though not yet finalized.

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JimTrotter/statuses/43405248622116864

Does that mean it would be a battle of Brady vs Kraft? If this was to all go through, would these 3 players been straining their relationship with their current owners and thus affecting chances of some of them getting a new contract?

per Rotoworld:

If the Players Association ends up going through with the decertification process in the event of a lockout, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees will be the lead plaintiffs in an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL.

The union has chosen three widely respected quarterbacks to be the public face if they end up doing battle with the owners in court. The antitrust suit would likely allege, among other things, that franchise tags and the salary cap are in violation of their rights. As of 4:30 ET, an extension to "stop the clock" in CBA talks seems likely though not yet finalized.

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JimTrotter/statuses/43405248622116864

Does that mean it would be a battle of Brady vs Kraft? If this was to all go through, would these 3 players been straining their relationship with their current owners and thus affecting chances of some of them getting a new contract?

No. It's business. It's not personal.

Very stupid. They should not be announcing any of this sh*t. Isn't the league's position that decertification is a sham and therefore should be ignored? I'm not sure that is a valid argument, but to the extent it is, deciding what you are going to do after you decertify and announcing it seem to indicate the owners are right about it being a sham.

Very stupid. They should not be announcing any of this sh*t. Isn't the league's position that decertification is a sham and therefore should be ignored? I'm not sure that is a valid argument, but to the extent it is, deciding what you are going to do after you decertify and announcing it seem to indicate the owners are right about it being a sham.

Is there anyone who believes it isn't?

Why?

Its happened a couple of times before and its worked. The CBA was born from the NFLPA decertifying.

Why?

Its happened a couple of times before and its worked. The CBA was born from the NFLPA decertifying.

Decertifying is smart. Announcing that you are sticking together as if you were still in the union after decertifying isn't. The owners already filed some form of greiveance saying it was a sham. Why provide documentation that it is?

Decertifying is smart. Announcing that you are sticking together as if you were still in the union after decertifying isn't. The owners already filed some form of greiveance saying it was a sham. Why provide documentation that it is?

What do you mean sticking together? Who's sticking together?

Somebody has to sue the NFL and Owners.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/Lockout%20Insurance%20Case%20Decision.pdf

Less than two weeks after the

McNeil verdict, players Reggie White, Michael Buck, Hardy

Nickerson, Vann McElroy and Dave Duerson brought an antitrust class

action seeking injunctive relief in the form of total or modified

free agency.

What do you mean sticking together? Who's sticking together?

Somebody has to sue the NFL and Owners.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/Lockout%20Insurance%20Case%20Decision.pdf

Less than two weeks after the

McNeil verdict, players Reggie White, Michael Buck, Hardy

Nickerson, Vann McElroy and Dave Duerson brought an antitrust class

action seeking injunctive relief in the form of total or modified

free agency.

Take a deep breath and listen to me. There is no shortage of players that will sue the NFL. The NFL is trying to keep the NFLPA from decertifying by claiming that decertification is a sham and that they will still be acting as a collective. It's a dubious distinction, but to the extent that it has any merit, why provide dccumentation that they will still be acting collectively after they decert? Just do it behind closed doors or just have Manning come out and say that as soon as the NFLPA decertifies he will file suit. It serves the same purpose but gives the owners no ammo. It also probably helps in the PR battle which, unfortunately, is pretty important.

Take a deep breath and listen to me. There is no shortage of players that will sue the NFL. The NFL is trying to keep the NFLPA from decertifying by claiming that decertification is a sham and that they will still be acting as a collective. It's a dubious distinction, but to the extent that it has any merit, why provide dccumentation that they will still be acting collectively after they decert? Just do it behind closed doors or just have Manning come out and say that as soon as the NFLPA decertifies he will file suit. It serves the same purpose but gives the owners no ammo. It also probably helps in the PR battle which, unfortunately, is pretty important.

Dude, WTF are you talking about?

When White, Nickerson, Duerson, McElroy, and Buck sued the NFL and Owners, it benefited the entire NFLPA - collectively. The NFLPA cannot sue as a union. The NFLPA would decertify, still be the NFLPA and recertify after the lawsuit. Its been done before. Nothing new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Players_Association

Dude, WTF are you talking about?

When White, Nickerson, Duerson, McElroy, and Buck sued the NFL and Owners, it benefited the entire NFLPA - collectively. The NFLPA cannot sue as a union. The NFLPA would decertify, still be the NFLPA and recertify after the lawsuit. Its been done before. Nothing new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Players_Association

Dude, if you don't ******* understand me maybe you should try to figure out why instead of repeating yourself. I certainly don't need to read wikipedia articles on it. I'm not 14. I was there.

The owners are worried about decertification. They have filed a labor complaint with the NLRB claiming in part: "As in the past, the NFLPA's threatened disclaimer as the representative of the players, together with the now-familiar antitrust litigation that is expected to follow, is a ploy and an unlawful subversion of the collective bargaining process, there being no evidence whatsoever of any (let alone widespread) disaffection with the union by its members."

The union seems to have fallen right in line with the owners complaint by going so far as to vote on who files suit once they decertify. Agreeing on who files suit doesn't seem to indicate disaffection by union members. It would have made more sense to simple keep quiet about it and do it rather than admitting to some kind of pre-decertification agreement.

My link

My other link

DO you understand what I am talking about now?

If they decertify, there isn't supposed to be an NFLPA. Therefore the NFLPA can't benefit from a suit. The players can, but not the union which isn't supposed to exist. If the union exists, the players can't file suit.

F them all...bring back NFL Europe, those guys would be happy to play for 1/10th the money

I loved the USFL...that was almost real football...The Generals rocked. Hey Al remember when they had replacement players and when the Jets played Miami it was like nothing had changed? Both teams still hated each other just as if they had been going head to head for years

I loved the USFL...that was almost real football...The Generals rocked. Hey Al remember when they had replacement players and when the Jets played Miami it was like nothing had changed? Both teams still hated each other just as if they had been going head to head for years

I do remember Jimmy, somethings never change lol

Dude, if you don't ******* understand me maybe you should try to figure out why instead of repeating yourself. I certainly don't need to read wikipedia articles on it. I'm not 14. I was there.

The owners are worried about decertification. They have filed a labor complaint with the NLRB claiming in part: "As in the past, the NFLPA's threatened disclaimer as the representative of the players, together with the now-familiar antitrust litigation that is expected to follow, is a ploy and an unlawful subversion of the collective bargaining process, there being no evidence whatsoever of any (let alone widespread) disaffection with the union by its members."

From your link

NFL’s complaint is maneuver vs. decertification

On Monday, the NFL fired a torpedo at the union’s ability to break up and eventually file a class-action lawsuit. The longer the league can delay the union and the players from getting to court, the more leverage it gains in negotiations with players, hoping to bleed them dry this offseason by making free agency disappear.

The longer the Owners can stave off a lawsuit.

The union seems to have fallen right in line with the owners complaint by going so far as to vote on who files suit once they decertify. Agreeing on who files suit doesn't seem to indicate disaffection by union members. It would have made more sense to simple keep quiet about it and do it rather than admitting to some kind of pre-decertification agreement.

My link

My other link

DO you understand what I am talking about now?

If they decertify, there isn't supposed to be an NFLPA. Therefore the NFLPA can't benefit from a suit. The players can, but not the union which isn't supposed to exist. If the union exists, the players can't file suit.

Youre wrong.

The settlement was presented to and approved by the judge who had heard the McNeil antitrust case in 1993. Once the agreement was approved the NFLPA reconstituted itself as a labor union and entered into a new collective bargaining agreement with the league

They were still the NFLPA. GET IT? Read the wiki page.

I understand perfectly and your Yahoo link just proves that the Owners want to delay the NFLPA from decertifying by filing a BS complaint.

From your link

NFL’s complaint is maneuver vs. decertification

On Monday, the NFL fired a torpedo at the union’s ability to break up and eventually file a class-action lawsuit. The longer the league can delay the union and the players from getting to court, the more leverage it gains in negotiations with players, hoping to bleed them dry this offseason by making free agency disappear.

The longer the Owners can stave off a lawsuit.

Youre wrong.

The settlement was presented to and approved by the judge who had heard the McNeil antitrust case in 1993. Once the agreement was approved the NFLPA reconstituted itself as a labor union and entered into a new collective bargaining agreement with the league

They were still the NFLPA. GET IT? Read the wiki page.

I understand perfectly and your Yahoo link just proves that the Owners want to delay the NFLPA from decertifying by filing a BS complaint.

I am not wrong and you can't understand me even though I am beating you on the ******* head with a hammer inscribed with my point.

1. The NFLPA is the union.

2. The players can't sue as long as the NFLPA is certified.

3. The owners are trying to delay them by filing a BS complaint (we're in agreement there) that says that the union should not be able to decertify (or to delay the decertification) because the players are not "disaffected" with the union.

4. This may be bullsh*t, but by continuing to act in a coordinated fashion after decertification they are helping the owner's case.

I know the NFLPA stayed alive as a "professional organization" but obviously, the fact that they continue to act in concert after decertification and make arrangements to do so does not help them in regards to the owners complaint. I'm not saying the owners should win, I'm saying that it is stupid of the players to give them any ammo at all. The decertification will obviously be a sham. Why go on record as admitting it?

The fact that the owners shouldn't win does not mean that the players should ignore the complaint.

I am not wrong and you can't understand me even though I am beating you on the ******* head with a hammer inscribed with my point.

LOLZ

You told me: (1)If they decertify, there isn't supposed to be an NFLPA. (2) Therefore the NFLPA can't benefit from a suit. The players can, but not the union which isn't supposed to exist. If the union exists, the players can't file suit.

(1) There is still an NFLPA. If Brady and the rest sue the owners, they still belong to the NFLPA.

(2) Thats why the NFLPA certifies itself as a union again.

1. The NFLPA is A union as of this day.

2. The players can't sue as long as the NFLPA is certified as a union

3. The owners are trying to delay them by filing a BS complaint (we're in agreement there) that says that the union should not be able to decertify (or to delay the decertification) because the players are not "disaffected" with the union.

The NFLPA sued before and it benefited all NFL players.

4. This may be bullsh*t, but by continuing to act in a coordinated fashion after decertification they are helping the owner's case.

What ccordinated fashion? Brady and the other players suing the owners are still members of the NFLPA.

Im not going to say that the owners would win their complaint vs the NFLPA, but history is not on the owners side here.

I know the NFLPA stayed alive as a "professional organization" but obviously, the fact that they continue to act in concert after decertification and make arrangements to do so does not help them in regards to the owners complaint. I'm not saying the owners should win, I'm saying that it is stupid of the players to give them any ammo at all. The decertification will obviously be a sham. Why go on record as admitting it?

The fact that the owners shouldn't win does not mean that the players should ignore the complaint.

How can the decertifaction be a sham when the last time that happened an agreement called the CBA was formed? More or less, 17 years of labor peace.

LOLZ

You told me: (1)If they decertify, there isn't supposed to be an NFLPA. (2) Therefore the NFLPA can't benefit from a suit. The players can, but not the union which isn't supposed to exist. If the union exists, the players can't file suit.

(1) There is still an NFLPA. If Brady and the rest sue the owners, they still belong to the NFLPA.

(2) Thats why the NFLPA certifies itself as a union again.

The NFLPA sued before and it benefited all NFL players.

What ccordinated fashion? Brady and the other players suing the owners are still members of the NFLPA.

Im not going to say that the owners would win their complaint vs the NFLPA, but history is not on the owners side here.

How can the decertifaction be a sham when the last time that happened an agreement called the CBA was formed? More or less, 17 years of labor peace.

Either you aren't understanding me or you don't understand any of this.

You are lol'ing, but you don't seem to get it.

Decertification means they are not a union. What you are talking about is like the guy on the office declaring bankruptcy by saying "bankruptcy".

YOU CAN'T BE DECERTIFIED AND HAVE A CBA. They can't sue AND negotiate collectively.

If you think they can get away with pretending not to be a union and continuing to exist as a decertified "professional organization" that's up to you, but I see no reason they should even take the chance. Unions are supposed to decertify when they don't represent the employees interests. They aren't supposed to continue to exist after decertification and reap the benefits of the individual players law suits. The NFLPA did NOT sue before. The players sued before. That's why the captions were Reggie White, et al v. the NFL and Freeman McNeil v. the NFL and not the NFLPA v. the NFL.

The NFLPA has sued on certain things, like the collusion and failure to fairly negotiate, but not for the big ticket items that require lack of capacity to bargain collectively.

Decertification means they are not a union. What you are talking about is like the guy on the office declaring bankruptcy by saying "bankruptcy".

YOU CAN'T BE DECERTIFIED AND HAVE A CBA. They can't sue AND negotiate collectively.

If you think they can get away with pretending not to be a union and continuing to exist as a decertified "professional organization" that's up to you, but I see no reason they should even take the chance. Unions are supposed to decertify when they don't represent the employees interests. They aren't supposed to continue to exist after decertification and reap the benefits of the individual players law suits. The NFLPA did NOT sue before. The players sued before. That's why the captions were Reggie White, et al v. the NFL and Freeman McNeil v. the NFL and not the NFLPA v. the NFL.

The NFLPA has sued on certain things, like the collusion and failure to fairly negotiate, but not for the big ticket items that require lack of capacity to bargain collectively.

Wait, I don't get it. Please explain.

YOU WIN

facepalm_dailywhat.jpg

You will never understand that the NFLPAssociation would still exist as a trade association after decertifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77azRkVHtqM

I thought we quit?

Simple question: Did the NFL file a complaint saying that decertifying was only a ploy?

If you can accept that you should understand why I think it's a bad idea. Over the courts have done everything they can to let the major sports leagues continue in blatant disregard of many labor laws. I don't think it makes sense to give them any further opportunity. The fact that something worked during the Reagan administration is no guarantee that it will fly now.

Archived