Official Yankees vs Red Sox series thread (part 1)

Blackout

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy if the yankees win 1 of 3. They are playing the best 0-6 team in the history of organized baseball after all...

this is a valid point

the Sox paid for the roster than finds the most ways to lose

give up 11 homeruns in a 3 game series to Texas? check

lose 1-0 against the traditionally lowely Indians? check

lose a game because your captain catcher forgets how the force-rule works? check

:D

lose a game because your captain catcher forgets how the force-rule works? check

He didn't forget the force out rules, he said he didn't see Youks touch the bag.

This series will be interesting as the Sox should have the advantage on paper in the pitching match-ups. And they'll be home. Of course, they've been pitiful so far this year so who knows what to expect.

He didn't forget the force out rules, he said he didn't see Youks touch the bag.

This series will be interesting as the Sox should have the advantage on paper in the pitching match-ups. And they'll be home. Of course, they've been pitiful so far this year so who knows what to expect.

the pitching matchups will be VERY interesting

the Sox 2-3-4 vs the Yanks 3-4-5

Going to be honest here. This week has been BRTUAL for me at work, I haven't been paying attention to anything but work unfortunately. I didn't know the Sox were 0 and 6 until I got to my son's baseball practice. I was talking to the kids about what teams they liked. One Mets fan told me about the Sox....

Can't believe I didn't enjoy each loss...

The Sawx starters are probably still going to be very good,and their lineup is still going to score runs. As another poster indicated(sorry for no credirt, but take a bow, who ever you are), Ellsbury with his injury history so far is more Juan Pierre/Scott Podsednik than the poor man's Rickey Henderson Peter Gammons and much of the medie pretends he is. But the major problem with the Sawx is their bullpen is dreadful from the dregs onto to Paplebon and Bard. They cannot get anyone out.

Soriano spare one flub and Chamberlain (who looks like he spent the winter at White Castle with David Wells) have been very good.

The Sawx starters are probably still going to be very good,and their lineup is still going to score runs. As another poster indicated(sorry for no credirt, but take a bow, who ever you are), Ellsbury with his injury history so far is more Juan Pierre/Scott Podsednik than the poor man's Rickey Henderson Peter Gammons and much of the medie pretends he is. But the major problem with the Sawx is their bullpen is dreadful from the dregs onto to Paplebon and Bard. They cannot get anyone out.

Soriano spare one flub and Chamberlain (who looks like he spent the winter at White Castle with David Wells) have been very good.

The Sox bullpen is fine. The Yankees bullpen is better probably. I don't mind Jenks-Bard-Paps at the end though. Reyes has sucked, but they have more options in the minors. Albers going down hurts because he has been decent. Aceves will be fine though. It's way too early to judge how the bullpen will be.

Also, I love Ellsbury's "injury history". He broke his ribs last year and missed most of the season after re-breaking them. Prior to that he has no injury history to speak of. Do some research.

As to your beloved superstar Jacoby Ellsbury-At 23, missed most of his first season due to injury(and dissappointed a certain roto owner posting herein who bough the hype). Played 145 and 150 games in the next 2, which is still not 160.At 24/25, that is not good; he's not Derek Jeter old. And his comparables at 23/24/25 are Dave Robertson and Roberto Kelly. he is basically slightly above average OFer with very good speed. Other current similar players-Twins Denard Span, Mets Angel Pagan and Jays Raja Davis-decent servicable MLB OFers, not superstars.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml

As to your beloved superstar Jacoby Ellsbury-At 23, missed most of his first season due to injury(and dissappointed a certain roto owner posting herein who bough the hype). Played 145 and 150 games in the next 2, which is still not 160.At 24/25, that is not good; he's not Derek Jeter old. And his comparables at 23/24/25 are Dave Robertson and Roberto Kelly. he is basically slightly above average OFer with very good speed. Other current similar players-Twins Denard Span, Mets Angel Pagan and Jays Raja Davis-decent servicable MLB OFers, not superstars.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml

He only played 33 games in 2007 because he was a September call up and actually started the year in AA and played a lot in AAA. He played over 100 games in the minors before coming up to the Sox. He has no injury history aside from last season.

No one is saying he is a superstar but he is a very valuable role player and defender. He can cause havoc on the basepaths. He stole home for crying out loud. and Roberto Kelly et al have never stolen 70 bases in a season or scored from second on a wild pitch. He can be a game changer.

There is this thing called the internet. Please use it so you don't look so silly.

He only played 33 games in 2007 because he was a September call up and actually started the year in AA and played a lot in AAA. He played over 100 games in the minors before coming up to the Sox. He has no injury history aside from last season.

No one is saying he is a superstar but he is a very valuable role player and defender. He can cause havoc on the basepaths. He stole home for crying out loud. and Roberto Kelly et al have never stolen 70 bases in a season or scored from second on a wild pitch. He can be a game changer.

There is this thing called the internet. Please use it so you don't look so silly.

Carl I think this 0 and 6 start has you a little bit cranky lately.

Missing almost a full season in your 20s and injuires in the minors are not good things, period. It's baseball.ref that makes the statistical comparison at the same age,and the current comparables. Everyone at some point thought Robero Kelly, Denard Span, Raja Davis could be game changers(Angel Pagan, who I saw play for the Cyclones,was not thought to be much more than he is now, a back end OF player). There were days of havoc on the basepaths by all of them, but if you want to say Ellsbury is any moreso a wreaker of havoc statitically there is no such case. These guys are not and Ellsbury is not tremendous game changers/basepath wreakers of havoc, but rather "valuable role players and defenders". By the data(his stuff you can find on the internet which I linked to and did not make up), Ellsbury is again a decent OFer with very good speed, not close to Rickey Henderson or Kenny Lofton in their primes.Further Moneyball guys (like Epstein and Cashman and most of the GMs in MLB these days) do not value stolen bases as much as you do.

Your arugment feels very much like silly Yankee fans babbling about Jeter's steely resolve than acknowledging his range sucks, he has lost a step and his 2010 season was offensively pretty awful. You love your team and it's players; good for you. but that is not data nor an argument.

Missing almost a full season in your 20s and injuires in the minors are not good things, period. It's baseball.ref that makes the statistical comparison at the same age,and the current comparables. Everyone at some point thought Robero Kelly, Denard Span, Raja Davis could be game changers(Angel Pagan, who I saw play for the Cyclones,was not thought to be much more than he is now, a back end OF player). There were days of havoc on the basepaths by all of them, but if you want to say Ellsbury is any moreso a wreaker of havoc statitically there is no such case. These guys are not and Ellsbury is not tremendous game changers/basepath wreakers of havoc, but rather "valuable role players and defenders". By the data(his stuff you can find on the internet which I linked to and did not make up), Ellsbury is again a decent OFer with very good speed, not close to Rickey Henderson or Kenny Lofton in their primes.Further Moneyball guys (like Epstein and Cashman and most of the GMs in MLB these days) do not value stolen bases as much as you do.

Your arugment feels very much like silly Yankee fans babbling about Jeter's steely resolve than acknowledging his range sucks, he has lost a step and his 2010 season was offensively pretty awful. You love your team and it's players; good for you. but that is not data nor an argument.

THERE WERE NO INJURIES IN THE MINORS! HOW DENSE ARE YOU? GET A FREAKING CLUE!! He missed one season because of broken ribs in a freak accident. I don't see how that makes him injury prone. It's not like he has knee problems or back problems or shoulder problems. He broke ribs.

Ask Andy Pettitte if Ellsbury is a game changer on the basepaths. While he is answering, Jacoby just stole home again.

THERE WERE NO INJURIES IN THE MINORS! HOW DENSE ARE YOU? GET A FREAKING CLUE!! He missed one season because of broken ribs in a freak accident. I don't see how that makes him injury prone. It's not like he has knee problems or back problems or shoulder problems. He broke ribs.

Ask Andy Pettitte if Ellsbury is a game changer on the basepaths. While he is answering, Jacoby just stole home again.

Can't win with you. You want to discount a missed season due to injury; it's still missed. And while you bitch about lack of facts, when their shown such data to you you change gears and start bringing up 1 game and instance, probably when Posada was making a mess defensively as always.

I could as easily argue that BRETT GARNDER IS WICKED SUPER FAST, which the depth of your argument. I'd even concede that Gardner is probably not quite as good as Ellsbury, but neither is a superstar, neither statisitically nor antecdotally.

The only thing missing from today's festivities is a keg at 3rd base.

I'd even concede that Gardner is probably not quite as good as Ellsbury, but neither is a superstar, neither statisitically nor antecdotally.

Nobody ever said that Ellsbury is a superstar. The claim was made that he is GARBAGE, that is what Carl is refuting.

Can't win with you. You want to discount a missed season due to injury; it's still missed. And while you bitch about lack of facts, when their shown such data to you you change gears and start bringing up 1 game and instance, probably when Posada was making a mess defensively as always.

I could as easily argue that BRETT GARNDER IS WICKED SUPER FAST, which the depth of your argument. I'd even concede that Gardner is probably not quite as good as Ellsbury, but neither is a superstar, neither statisitically nor antecdotally.

The only thing missing from today's festivities is a keg at 3rd base.

You said he was injury prone. He does not have a history of injuries. He missed one season. That is not prone. Prone is define by Merriam-Websters as: having a tendency or inclination. One injury does not make either of those things. Just admit you're wrong and move on.

I never said he was a superstar. I said he was a valuable role player who can cause havoc on the base paths. Which he has done and will continue to do.

I think mixing both of them with a non-HGH diet is messing with them.

Hughes looks awful again. Leaving the ball out over the plate time after time.

Only good thing is Lackey is not doing much better.

This one has a 15-14 look to it.

Hughes looks awful again. Leaving the ball out over the plate time after time.

Only good thing is Lackey is not doing much better.

This one has a 15-14 look to it.

If Colon can give the Yankees quality innings, it could swing back in their favor. Lackey is leaving ball in the middle of the plate and getting eaten alive by the lefties.

Archived