Knicks vs Celtics playoff series thread

Blackout

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a gay joke, good one.

How else does one respond to someone spamming the board with so much love for the single most overrated athlete on the planet?

You and falcon are the king and queen of results based analysis. The two of you seem to think that all stats are completely independent of context whatsoever.

Carter should have been playing all series. But he doesnt chuck ill advised 3's...so its no surprise he barely gets any burn.

Melo needs to lose around 20 lbs. He's painfully slow around the basket and struggles to finish in traffic because he doesnt get any elevation. He also doesnt have the same type of ability Pierce(who's also slow) does to get himself clean looks.

Well, unfortunately our streak of no post season wins in like a decade continues and the fact that we got swept proves that we gave up way too much to get Melo. I feel our team played better team basketball (and better basketball overall)before the trade. Our team chemistry, rebounding and overall defense has been pretty bad since. Melo is almost soley responsible for the game 1 and 2 losses. How are you going to not cover your man with 10 seconds to go in the game when you need to foul? Why would you take the final shot of the game when you've been cold as ice the entire game, and make it an unnecessarily long 3 pointer when all you need is a 2, and Stat was on fire? I know this is the best year we've had in a while, but we practically traded our entire future away. I think management was too desperate to sign Melo that they didn't even consider that we need rebounding and defense to actually go far in the playoffs. We needed to keep either Gallo or Mosgov, and I feel we should have played it like the Nets did, because we could have still signed him in the off season.. but instead the Nuggets got better after the trade and they at least won a playoff game this year. I hate to sound like a negative nancy, because we did decently this year, but in reality we were still just a little bit over .500. Boston played their C game in the first 2 games and we could barely handle it. I'm just tired of management drastically shifting the team every single year. Can we please have a year, where the majority of players stay on the team from one off season to the next? There's probably more ex-Knicks in the league than any other team. We've traded or dumped every single all star caliber player we've had in the past 6 years. I just pray that they don't do the same bs next year to try to get Chris Paul or some other superstar. It's just disappointing. I thought we were past the whole Isiah Thomas crap, but it doesn't really seem like it. Ah well, there's always next year.. I hope. D'antoni is a good coach, and you can tell by the difference in the way we played last year. I feel he has a good system and can develop players well, but when the entire team changes every year it's difficult to do something like that. Ok rant over! Sorry for the long post!

^Finally a Knicks fan who uses logic, instead of blaming the refs for everything.

This post only reinforces the fact that I disagreed with just about every point he tried to make (at least what I was able to extract from it before I got tired of reading a gigantic paragraph with no line breaks).

Well, unfortunately our streak of no post season wins in like a decade continues and the fact that we got swept proves that we gave up way too much to get Melo. I feel our team played better team basketball (and better basketball overall)before the trade. Our team chemistry, rebounding and overall defense has been pretty bad since. Melo is almost soley responsible for the game 1 and 2 losses. How are you going to not cover your man with 10 seconds to go in the game when you need to foul? Why would you take the final shot of the game when you've been cold as ice the entire game, and make it an unnecessarily long 3 pointer when all you need is a 2, and Stat was on fire? I know this is the best year we've had in a while, but we practically traded our entire future away. I think management was too desperate to sign Melo that they didn't even consider that we need rebounding and defense to actually go far in the playoffs. We needed to keep either Gallo or Mosgov, and I feel we should have played it like the Nets did, because we could have still signed him in the off season.. but instead the Nuggets got better after the trade and they at least won a playoff game this year. I hate to sound like a negative nancy, because we did decently this year, but in reality we were still just a little bit over .500. Boston played their C game in the first 2 games and we could barely handle it. I'm just tired of management drastically shifting the team every single year. Can we please have a year, where the majority of players stay on the team from one off season to the next? There's probably more ex-Knicks in the league than any other team. We've traded or dumped every single all star caliber player we've had in the past 6 years. I just pray that they don't do the same bs next year to try to get Chris Paul or some other superstar. It's just disappointing. I thought we were past the whole Isiah Thomas crap, but it doesn't really seem like it. Ah well, there's always next year.. I hope. D'antoni is a good coach, and you can tell by the difference in the way we played last year. I feel he has a good system and can develop players well, but when the entire team changes every year it's difficult to do something like that. Ok rant over! Sorry for the long post!

I don't know if you noticed, but our 2nd and 3rd best players were injured for most of the series. I just have to laugh if you think Gallo or Mozgov would have been able to do anything different that series...I'd rather have Turiaf out there if rebounding and defense is your concern. When you have an opportunity to get a superstar like Melo, you don't let that pass, regardless of your trade history and the fact that you're giving up Felton/Gallo/Mozgov. Those guys weren't going to lead us anywhere. It's not like they just traded for a McDyess/Marbury/Van Horn/Curry/Francis type of player...

I disagree with D'Antoni being a good coach too. You're not going to get anywhere without some semblance of defense, and he just doesn't play the matchups well at all. Having Jared Jeffries as the biggest man on the court at the end of Game 2 (or 3? not sure) was a joke. He had no chance in stopping Garnett's shot to take the lead, and he's a high school talent on offense.

I don't know if you noticed, but our 2nd and 3rd best players were injured for most of the series. I just have to laugh if you think Gallo or Mozgov would have been able to do anything different that series...I'd rather have Turiaf out there if rebounding and defense is your concern. When you have an opportunity to get a superstar like Melo, you don't let that pass, regardless of your trade history and the fact that you're giving up Felton/Gallo/Mozgov. Those guys weren't going to lead us anywhere. It's not like they just traded for a McDyess/Marbury/Van Horn/Curry/Francis type of player...

I disagree with D'Antoni being a good coach too. You're not going to get anywhere without some semblance of defense, and he just doesn't play the matchups well at all. Having Jared Jeffries as the biggest man on the court at the end of Game 2 (or 3? not sure) was a joke. He had no chance in stopping Garnett's shot to take the lead, and he's a high school talent on offense.

It WAS a bad trade. You weren't going to compete no matter what this season, and you were almost 100% guaranteed to get Melo in FA after this season. I don't see how you're such a delusional Knicks homer that you can't see that having Melo, Amare, and a bunch of scrubs is better than having Melo, Amare, some good role players, and scrubs.

It WAS a bad trade. You weren't going to compete no matter what this season, and you were almost 100% guaranteed to get Melo in FA after this season. I don't see how you're such a delusional Knicks homer that you can't see that having Melo, Amare, and a bunch of scrubs is better than having Melo, Amare, some good role players, and scrubs.

I find it amusing that you say I'm delusional the sentence after stating that we "were almost 100% guaranteed to get Melo in FA after this season." This delusion, if you will, has been explained to you multiple times in this thread alone, yet you keep up with it.

I find it amusing that you say I'm delusional the sentence after stating that we "were almost 100% guaranteed to get Melo in FA after this season." This delusion, if you will, has been explained to you multiple times in this thread alone, yet you keep up with it.

I don't think he can read all that well.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/12/report-melo-will-only-sign-extension-if-traded-to-new-york/

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with Klecko here. You can't read well. That says that Melo would only sign his contract extension if traded to the Knicks--nowhere does it mention what he would do if the decision came instead in free agency, let alone "100% guaranteeing" that.

Holy jesus christ kid. How many times does this need to be explain to you, before you understand that if he was guaranteed to be a FA than no trades would have happened. With an uncertain labor agreement, Melo was not going to simply give away 20+ million dollars. It actually hurts my head that you cannot comprehend this. Do you really think that Donnie Walsh, one of the most respected men in basketball, simply was operating under the notion that he was to make the team worse?? This is just ******* stupid. If Melo was a slam-dunk in FA and willing to give up his money, than there's no way any trade would have gone through. Anyone who believes otherwise is just in absolute denial.

Holy jesus christ kid. How many times does this need to be explain to you, before you understand that if he was guaranteed to be a FA than no trades would have happened. With an uncertain labor agreement, Melo was not going to simply give away 20+ million dollars.

Oh yeah? Well how do you know th...oh sh*t.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/265890-anthony-to-sign-in-denver-after-all

Psst. Don't show this to tubby. The elevator doesn't exactly go all the way up, if you know what I mean.

Yes, because Carmelo, saying the only team he'd sign an extension with, wouldn't sign with the Knicks in FA if given the chance? YOU are the ones in denial.

I will give this one more go. If he were willing to give up the 20+ million dollars and become a free agent, than yes, he would have signed with the knicks. Most facts lead us to believe that. We still good?? No one argues that. The point that you cannot come to terms with, is that he was not going to be a free agent. He was not going to give up the 20+ million dollars to become a free agent and thus, the only scenario was to do a sign and trade or resign with the nuggets. If Melo would have given up the money and signed with the knicks, that information would have been relayed to Donnie. So, let's recap. If he were a FA he would have signed with the knicks, true. However, he was not going to become a free agent, because he wasn't giving up 20+ million dollars.

I will give this one more go. If he were willing to give up the 20+ million dollars and become a free agent, than yes, he would have signed with the knicks. Most facts lead us to believe that. We still good?? No one argues that. The point that you cannot come to terms with, is that he was not going to be a free agent. He was not going to give up the 20+ million dollars to become a free agent and thus, the only scenario was to do a sign and trade or resign with the nuggets. If Melo would have given up the money and signed with the knicks, that information would have been relayed to Donnie. So, let's recap. If he were a FA he would have signed with the knicks, true. However, he was not going to become a free agent, because he wasn't giving up 20+ million dollars.

Oh really, did he tell you that?

I'm aware of the injuries, but regardless, Boston didn't even play that well and still won the first 2 games. I'm not saying Mosgov, Chandler or Gallo is better than Melo individually. Offensively, that would be silly, but on defense each player individually IS better than Melo. Collectively, the four players traded would have a better impact OVERALL than Melo and Billups, IMO. There's more to basketball than offense, and I still disagree with trading our entire base for one superstar. Billups isn't as good as he used to be. He still makes big shots and is an amazing mentor (Look how much better Tony Douglas has gotten), but he's starting to slow down and Felton had a better year, despite being traded and having his role reduced.

D'Antoni (who can't even pronounce his own name correct lol) isn't to blame for that. Jeffries was brought in because we lost a huge defensive presence after the trade. He knows the system and is great on defense. He's probably better than almost everyone else on the team on D. Unfortunately, yes, his offense sucks. But that's what happens when your players are hurt and you traded the core of your defense for an offensive powerhouse. You are going to have players like that getting clutch minutes, because who on our team really even plays good defense besides Tony Douglas and Turiaf? Turiaf's a back up, not even a real starter.

If we addressed the issue of getting a big man in the middle, instead of trading everyone for Melo, our team would have improved instead of gotten worse/stayed the same. That was our main weakness before the trade. Rebounding. Scoring was not. That's why I'm so confused why the Knicks got so desperate instead of being patient and trying to get a better deal. They should have played it like the Nets. Melo had the Nuggets management in his pocket because nobody would trade for him without an extension, and since he wouldn't sign one with anyone but the Knicks, he was locked in. We didn't HAVE to trade everyone for him, not to mention there's other GOOD free agents coming this off season that we could have used to help build the team instead of undoing the progress we made during the first half of the season. I'm not saying the trade was terrible or even bad, but we gave up too much. I don't think you can argue against that. I'll take a well balanced team anyday over a team with 2 superstars and a bunch of scrubs. Watch what happens to Miami next round. Chemistry is too underrated in sports today. D'Antoni hasn't had the same group of guys under him for more than 4 months since he became coach, so it's a bit early to judge him.

Melo alone will not score more than Gallo & Chandler together. Melo averages 26 PPG, while Gallo and Chandler were both right around 16. Were they really expecting the offense to get better, with a 5-6 point differential in averages? Am I the only one who noticed that? The numbers don't lie.

I'm aware of the injuries, but regardless, Boston didn't even play that well and still won the first 2 games. I'm not saying Mosgov, Chandler or Gallo is better than Melo individually. Offensively, that would be silly, but on defense each player individually IS better than Melo. Collectively, the four players traded would have a better impact OVERALL than Melo and Billups, IMO. There's more to basketball than offense, and I still disagree with trading our entire base for one superstar. Billups isn't as good as he used to be. He still makes big shots and is an amazing mentor (Look how much better Tony Douglas has gotten), but he's starting to slow down and Felton had a better year, despite being traded and having his role reduced.

D'Antoni (who can't even pronounce his own name correct lol) isn't to blame for that. Jeffries was brought in because we lost a huge defensive presence after the trade. He knows the system and is great on defense. He's probably better than almost everyone else on the team on D. Unfortunately, yes, his offense sucks. But that's what happens when your players are hurt and you traded the core of your defense for an offensive powerhouse. You are going to have players like that getting clutch minutes, because who on our team really even plays good defense besides Tony Douglas and Turiaf? Turiaf's a back up, not even a real starter.

If we addressed the issue of getting a big man in the middle, instead of trading everyone for Melo, our team would have improved instead of gotten worse/stayed the same. That was our main weakness before the trade. Rebounding. Scoring was not. That's why I'm so confused why the Knicks got so desperate instead of being patient and trying to get a better deal. They should have played it like the Nets. Melo had the Nuggets management in his pocket because nobody would trade for him without an extension, and since he wouldn't sign one with anyone but the Knicks, he was locked in. We didn't HAVE to trade everyone for him, not to mention there's other GOOD free agents coming this off season that we could have used to help build the team instead of undoing the progress we made during the first half of the season. I'm not saying the trade was terrible or even bad, but we gave up too much. I don't think you can argue against that. I'll take a well balanced team anyday over a team with 2 superstars and a bunch of scrubs. Watch what happens to Miami next round. Chemistry is too underrated in sports today. D'Antoni hasn't had the same group of guys under him for more than 4 months since he became coach, so it's a bit early to judge him.

Melo alone will not score more than Gallo & Chandler together. Melo averages 26 PPG, while Gallo and Chandler were both right around 16. Were they really expecting the offense to get better, with a 5-6 point differential in averages? Am I the only one who noticed that?

Wait a second, do you think the Melo trade was for this year?

Archived