Knicks vs Celtics playoff series thread

Blackout

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Knicks lose 4-1.

Boston is playoff tested, and while I think the series could get a little testy, the Knicks just don't have the depth to really make this interesting.

Either way I'll be happy. If the Knicks win then another suck @ss overated team from Beantown spits the bit. If the Celtics win then Dolan is miserable which would make me equally as happy.

This will go 6 games... Boston will win... it might go 7 and if it does I am willing to give the Knicks a real chance at pulling it off... they will be high on opportunity while the Celts will be scared of letting it slip..

None of it matters though... none of these teams can beat the Bulls 4 times in 7 tries.

Either way I'll be happy. If the Knicks win then another suck @ss overated team from Beantown spits the bit. If the Celtics win then Dolan is miserable which would make me equally as happy.

Well said. Though, the thought of Dolan suffering trumps the thought of all of Boston suffering by a solid 12%.

Well said. Though, the thought of Dolan suffering trumps the thought of all of Boston suffering by a solid 12%.

Knick fans happy trumps Dolan suffering.

Dolan suffering will make Knick fans suffer more because he'll do something stupid.

Knick fans need an act of God for something to happen to Dolan.

Knick fans happy trumps Dolan suffering.

Dolan suffering will make Knick fans suffer more because he'll do something stupid.

Knick fans need an act of God for something to happen to Dolan.

I'm a Nets fan, but I believe the league is 4,000 times better when the Knicks are good.

And it's fairly inevitable that Dolan is going to do something stupid very, very soon. ;)

I'm a Nets fan, but I believe the league is 4,000 times better when the Knicks are good.

And it's fairly inevitable that Dolan is going to do something stupid very, very soon. ;)

Dumping D'antoni would be no great loss. Pretty clear what ever success he had in Phoenix had more to do with Steve Nash's prime than anything this guys brings to the table.

Dumping Walsh, or not allowing him to phase himself out and hire either Houston or Mullin as his heir, would be a debacle. And it's inevitable.Isiah is comin' to town!

Celtics in 4. They will score 110+ every game.

Dolan is the Scourge of NY Sports and the only reason he is not the worst in the history of the region is because Spano literally committed state and federal crimes in buying the Islanders and went to jail because of it.

That said, Prokhorov has not shown himself well in his inaugural season. A lot of talk and no action. The way they prop up Jay-Z is fraudulent. He owns something like 1% of the team and they act like he's a 50/50 partner with him on billboards, etc.

The Nets should have gone the OKC route. The Deron Williams trade was a huge gamble and will likely blow up in the Nets face. They gave up last yrs lottery pick and this yrs lottery pick to get a 2 yr rental. No significant FA has ever signed with the Nets. Ever. And it will be tough to get anyone to commit in 2012 when DWill is likely to sign with Dallas (he's from there and the Mavs will have the cap room to sign him). Dwight Howard is on record multiple times that he wants to live in a warm weather city, so NY/BK is out.

The Nets should have rebuilt slowly. Favors was a good pick and should have been allowed to develop. With this yrs' lottery pick they would have improved.

Dumping D'antoni would be no great loss. Pretty clear what ever success he had in Phoenix had more to do with Steve Nash's prime than anything this guys brings to the table.

Dumping Walsh, or not allowing him to phase himself out and hire either Houston or Mullin as his heir, would be a debacle. And it's inevitable.Isiah is comin' to town!

Celtics in 4. They will score 110+ every game.

The specter of Isiah Thomas' imminent arrival to the Knicks would seriously keep me up at night if I'm a Knicks fan. There is no capacity in which he could serve that he wouldn't absolutely destroy what Donnie Walsh has built. The man is poison to everything he touches.

Dolan is the Scourge of NY Sports and the only reason he is not the worst in the history of the region is because Spano literally committed state and federal crimes in buying the Islanders and went to jail because of it.

That said, Prokhorov has not shown himself well in his inaugural season. A lot of talk and no action. The way they prop up Jay-Z is fraudulent. He owns something like 1% of the team and they act like he's a 50/50 partner with him on billboards, etc.

The Nets should have gone the OKC route. The Deron Williams trade was a huge gamble and will likely blow up in the Nets face. They gave up last yrs lottery pick and this yrs lottery pick to get a 2 yr rental. No significant FA has ever signed with the Nets. Ever. And it will be tough to get anyone to commit in 2012 when DWill is likely to sign with Dallas (he's from there and the Mavs will have the cap room to sign him). Dwight Howard is on record multiple times that he wants to live in a warm weather city, so NY/BK is out.

The Nets should have rebuilt slowly. Favors was a good pick and should have been allowed to develop. With this yrs' lottery pick they would have improved.

Word. Jason423 and I were chatting about this the other day on here. I kinda disagree on Prokhorov. I think he's shown some patience in that he hasn't made the panic move you might expect from a playboy billionaire--he didn't freak out to overpay for a Carmelo rental, and he didn't over-react to losing out on LeBron. The whole organization is in complete stasis until they turn the lights on in Brooklyn, which is where the franchise--and Jay-Z's presence--becomes relevant. From a marketing/value standpoint, being in Jersey is like being in Siberia. But, give 'em Brooklyn, give 'em Jay-Z, and you have yourself a saleable item. Now all they'll have to do is win.

I'd also disagree on the Deron trade a little bit. Favors will be a useful player, but he has the basketball IQ of one of Eddy Curry's dreadlocks, and he'll spend his entire career as someone's John Salley. Granted, he's a baby (even for a rookie), but he is probably the most clueless player I've ever seen in an NBA uniform. As for the rest of the trade, Devin Harris is slick, but crazy soft, and he was never going to do anything here, and the lottery pick the Nets gave up is coming in a ridiculously weak draft where Jared Sullinger is the best player coming out. In return, they get one of the top three PG's in the game who--at worst--you put on the block at mid-season and recoup a pretty decent package for in a trade, including draft picks in significantly deeper drafts. I'd take it one step further and trade Brook Lopez, too--go scorched earth--and just re-build my entire franchise in Brooklyn around a bunch of young freaks like they did (and as you mentioned) in OKC.

Either way, it's going to be pretty interesting watching what the Nets and Knicks do over the course of the next two, three seasons. It's pretty awesome to have relevant basketball teams in NY again.

The Nets should have gone the OKC route. The Deron Williams trade was a huge gamble and will likely blow up in the Nets face. They gave up last yrs lottery pick and this yrs lottery pick to get a 2 yr rental. No significant FA has ever signed with the Nets. Ever. And it will be tough to get anyone to commit in 2012 when DWill is likely to sign with Dallas (he's from there and the Mavs will have the cap room to sig

\n him). Dwight Howard is on record multiple times that he wants to live in a warm weather city, so NY/BK is out.

Im not sure Id go that far. I mean Kidd was a free agent and re-signed with the team for less take home money than he would have had with the Spurs. They signed Abdur Rahim the one year when he was probably as good a free agent as there was on the market and then said he failed the physical. I think winning makes players at least consider it even if its a franchise with no history. Kidd and that style of play was a draw to free agents if they could be fit within the cap.

Now when the team sucks like they do now and on top of that have a good team playing in NY I do think its almost impossible to get someone to come here. Thats when you end up with signings of the early 90s where they got guys like Rick Mahorn at the end of their careers, even though they had a name coach and a playoff capable team. There was just no draw to them.

I think the Nets were turned off by last years draft which is why they made the moves they did. Clearly their plan was to draft John Wall and then trade for Melo (I have to assume they all knew, except the owner, they were never getting LeBron) and the lottery totally messed them up when they fell. Most years missing out on the 1 or 2 is no different than ending up with the 10 and I think thats what happened. Favors clearly has potential but right now hes a garbage basket player and with Lopez already there I think they figured having two guys clog down low was going to not work and they had already cast their lot with Lopez. Plus its a poor draft this year.

Im guessing the decision is they still have cap room and with D-Will they can maybe encourage the mid tier guys to come to the team.

Im not sure Id go that far. I mean Kidd was a free agent and re-signed with the team for less take home money than he would have had with the Spurs. They signed Abdur Rahim the one year when he was probably as good a free agent as there was on the market and then said he failed the physical. I think winning makes players at least consider it even if its a franchise with no history. Kidd and that style of play was a draw to free agents if they could be fit within the cap.

Now when the team sucks like they do now and on top of that have a good team playing in NY I do think its almost impossible to get someone to come here. Thats when you end up with signings of the early 90s where they got guys like Rick Mahorn at the end of their careers, even though they had a name coach and a playoff capable team. There was just no draw to them.

I think the Nets were turned off by last years draft which is why they made the moves they did. Clearly their plan was to draft John Wall and then trade for Melo (I have to assume they all knew, except the owner, they were never getting LeBron) and the lottery totally messed them up when they fell. Most years missing out on the 1 or 2 is no different than ending up with the 10 and I think thats what happened. Favors clearly has potential but right now hes a garbage basket player and with Lopez already there I think they figured having two guys clog down low was going to not work and they had already cast their lot with Lopez. Plus its a poor draft this year.

Im guessing the decision is they still have cap room and with D-Will they can maybe encourage the mid tier guys to come to the team.

As if on cue (and, FWIW). From Mike Mazzeo, ESPN:

Deron Williams likes Nets

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6354543

As it turns out, New Jersey Nets point guard Deron Williams may want to stay after all.

"I like this organization a lot," Williams said, according to the New York Daily News. "I like the direction they're going. They made me and my family feel real comfortable since I've gotten here. I like Coach [Avery] Johnson -- the way he coaches and the way he carries himself. I definitely can see myself staying here."

Williams, who averaged 15.0 points and 12.8 assists in 12 games for the Nets, can opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2011-12 season. The Nets are slated to move to Brooklyn in 2012-13.

The two-time All-Star said he would be amenable to signing an extension in the offseason.

"I would like to not have the distraction [of my impending free agency] during the season," Williams said, according to the New York Post.

Signing, though, likely would not occur until after a new collective bargaining agreement can be reached between owners and players.

"It's something that's going to be brought up a lot this summer after the collective bargaining agreement handles itself and then we'll look at it," Williams said, according to the Daily News.

Williams had wrist surgery Monday and is expected to rehab for six to eight weeks. The Nets acquired him in a blockbuster trade with the Utah Jazz on Feb. 23.

Williams, who said he felt fine after undergoing the surgery, said that at first he was hesitant about having the procedure.

"I was angry and tried to tell the doctors that I didn't want to have the surgery," Williams said. "The two doctors had me outvoted, two against one. I couldn't do anything about it. They told me that there was no reason to postpone it and if I didn't have it, I would be dealing with the same pain again."

The Nets gave up Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and two first-round picks to get Williams, so they want to lock him up long-term to be the face of the franchise, once the team moves across the Hudson into Barclays Center, its new $1 billion home arena.

Last week, the Nets put up a massive billboard featuring Williams and the slogan "Bound For Brooklyn" in Times Square.

"I think once they made the trade for me, they always talked about me being the face of the franchise towards Brooklyn," Williams said, according to the Daily News. "That's the movement and everything. It's starting to fall in place for the organization. The building is up. It's starting to go up. Ticket sales. Everything is starting to gear towards Brooklyn. So I think they're definitely using me as a big part of that and I like that. Like I said, I like the direction of where things are going."

The Nets wrapped up a 24-58 season Wednesday night with a 97-92 loss to the Bulls in Chicago.

Johnson believes that Williams will be part of the organization for many years to come.

"I feel Deron has totally bought into what we're doing," the Nets coach said. "He's a sincere guy, a man of his word. I have a lot of confidence that he will stay, and I will continue to show him how vitally important he is to the success of our team. I feel good about Deron being in a Nets uniform next season and into the future."

Two of the team's unrestricted free agents also expressed interest in returning. Forward Kris Humphries, who ended up averaging 10 points and 10.4 rebounds per game in his best NBA season, and guard Sasha Vujacic, who averaged 11.4 points in 56 games with the Nets, both said that they hoped to be back.

"I've been saying it a lot lately that I want to be here," said Humphries, who had a meeting scheduled with Johnson and general manager Billy King to discuss his future Thursday. "I like where the team is at, and I want to be a part of it when it all comes together in Brooklyn. I want to keep growing with the franchise."

Vujacic was acquired from the Lakers on Dec. 14.

"My choice would be to come back," said Vujacic, who said he planned to spend a lot of the summer months watching fiancee Maria Sharapova play tennis. "My first goal would be with the Nets. The ownership wants to win, and the Nets have become a global team. It excites me, and this franchise has a very bright future."

Center Brook Lopez, who averaged 20.4 points per game in his third NBA season, feels that the Nets can continue to make strides.

"I'm fairly confident we can continue to improve," Lopez said. "I want Deron to help with the improvement. We can show people a lot next year. It's definitely a better feeling leaving this year compared to last year. I'm much more optimistic that we're going in the right direction."

The Nets opened March with five straight wins, including a pair versus Toronto in London.

"I'm just as excited as I was when I took the job last June," Johnson said. "We knew we had a lot of work to make this a competitive team. I thought it would take two to three years to make it happen. We just weren't good enough from a talent standpoint.

"But our future is bright because of the guys we have."

Or it could be that my team's mascot isn't a falcon anymore?

Sure ok.

It was still your team, not like you disowned them.

Can we have no Cmart usernames here or Namath usernames because they do not play for the JETS anymore?

Sure ok.

It was still your team, not like you disowned them.

Can we have no Cmart usernames here or Namath usernames because they do not play for the JETS anymore?

But why have a username that says "Falcon" if I'm no longer a Falcon? I WAS a falcon, NOW I'm a Purple Raider...make fun of the name all you want, but we win...a lot.

But why have a username that says "Falcon" if I'm no longer a Falcon? I WAS a falcon, NOW I'm a Purple Raider...make fun of the name all you want, but we win...a lot.

Do you win a lot like the Celtics are the #1 seed? lol

You might be 100% not lying about your intentions... but it is hard to believe considering the timing.

Do you win a lot like the Celtics are the #1 seed? lol

You might be 100% not lying about your intentions... but it is hard to believe considering the timing.

The timing? Lol, I clearly made a thread wanting a name change, so it's not that hard to find out who I am...

Anyways, go MU

The irony of course being that MU generally does very well because they take players who generally have the talent but not the non-thugishness necessary for most D-1 programs. Have fun wishing your teammates were dead.

The irony of course being that MU generally does very well because they take players who generally have the talent but not the non-thugishness necessary for most D-1 programs. Have fun wishing your teammates were dead.

Actually not really. I met some of the players (at the time, only the football players were on campus), and it's not a ghetto football team...

Archived