Turns out Phil Hughes is just bad, not hurt

Scott Dierking

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah he sucks because of 3 bad starts. He'll go down build arm strength and be back quickly. Probably before the mets win their 10th game. BTW, he's on the DL for dead arm, not optioned, just like I said he'd be. Will you give me credit for being right? I doubt it very highly.

Yeah he sucks because of 3 bad starts. He'll go down build arm strength and be back quickly. Probably before the mets win their 10th game. BTW, he's on the DL for dead arm, not optioned, just like I said he'd be. Will you give me credit for being right? I doubt it very highly.

"Dead arm" is not an injury. Dead arm is something EVRY pitcher goes through. Most don't land on the DL to hide them.

Guess the arm has been dead for the last 10 months ;)

Gotta give credit where credit is due. You did say they'd dump Hughes on the DL eventually.

He has been terrible this year, I am very surprised by this....

He was bad for a large portion of last season as well. A "dead arm" is a interesting thing to be dl'd for.

Usually pitchers can work right through that in a week or so. Hopefully he is fine shortly as with Nova being a 4 inning pitcher the Yankees really need Hughes. Burnett while not great has been a blessing. The Red Sox staff is in tatters right now so the Yanks can afford a little time to work these Nova and Hughes issues out.

He was bad for a large portion of last season as well. A "dead arm" is a interesting thing to be dl'd for.

Usually pitchers can work right through that in a week or so. Hopefully he is fine shortly as with Nova being a 4 inning pitcher the Yankees really need Hughes. Burnett while not great has been a blessing. The Red Sox staff is in tatters right now so the Yanks can afford a little time to work these Nova and Hughes issues out.

Well, the good news is the Sox staff could not get any worse. :confused:

This Hughes story could get interesting. He was horrible for the vast majority of the second half last season, got crushed in the post-season, and has picked up right where he left off.

I saw an article the other day that pointed out Jim Abbott's rapid decline and it cited his one dominant season in which, like Hughes last year, he relied heavily on his cutter and by the following season, he was never the same.

Dude has been losing velocity for awhile. 3 years ago when he was a big deal he was sitting at 94/95 with a nasty curve.

Gets injured in Texas during the perfect game, comes back, hasnt been the same guy. 91, 92, and a slower curve.

He's not this bad, but I do remember them "tweaking his mechanics" 2 years ago to "prevent future injury".

Dude has been losing velocity for awhile. 3 years ago when he was a big deal he was sitting at 94/95 with a nasty curve.

Gets injured in Texas during the perfect game, comes back, hasnt been the same guy. 91, 92, and a slower curve.

He's not this bad, but I do remember them "tweaking his mechanics" 2 years ago to "prevent future injury".

Joba lost some velocity when he was being bounced between starter and reliever too, so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the bullpen would be the better location for him.

Joba lost some velocity when he was being bounced between starter and reliever too, so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the bullpen would be the better location for him.

Joba lost velocity after he hurt his shoulder.

It seems to be happening to more and more pitchers these days.

Perhaps the "babying" that they are doing to these arms at developmental ages, hinders future abilities. Who knows? Every arm is different and reacts differently.

Maybe Nolan Ryan is on to something with his staff.

dead arm my arse. he just fxcking blows.

But why is a MET fan even talking about this? That team is the biggest joke in the country. They're not even lovable losers they're just losers.

dead arm my arse. he just fxcking blows.

But why is a MET fan even talking about this? That team is the biggest joke in the country. They're not even lovable losers they're just losers.

Well Miss Feisty, the title of this forum is "Baseball" not "Yankees fans talking Yankees, Mets fans talking Mets, Cubs fans talking Cubs".

Yes, the Mets are losers. We may not be lovable but we are ornery.

It seems to be happening to more and more pitchers these days.

Perhaps the "babying" that they are doing to these arms at developmental ages, hinders future abilities. Who knows? Every arm is different and reacts differently.

Maybe Nolan Ryan is on to something with his staff.

They worked the juice and HGH out of the game so a lot of these guys who were great prospects 4-5 years ago are--whoops--all of a sudden no longer throwing 95 or hitting it 500 feet. Whether or not they were actually using doesn't even matter, they grew up with the understanding that, to make it in the bigs, you had to hit 40 homers/throw unholy heat. Now, they have to basically re-learn the game. They are casualties of the Steroid Era, and it'll take years before the ones who were either using (and artificially inflated their stock) or weren't using (but tailored their games to play in the steroid-era) are weeded out.

They worked the juice and HGH out of the game so a lot of these guys who were great prospects 4-5 years ago are--whoops--all of a sudden no longer throwing 95 or hitting it 500 feet. Whether or not they were actually using doesn't even matter, they grew up with the understanding that, to make it in the bigs, you had to hit 40 homers/throw unholy heat. Now, they have to basically re-learn the game. They are casualties of the Steroid Era, and it'll take years before the ones who were either using (and artificially inflated their stock) or weren't using (but tailored their games to play in the steroid-era) are weeded out.

I would like to not believe it, but there seems to be some veracity by the sheer number of guys that just seem to be falling into a mediocre pit.

It really makes what a Seaver, Gibson, Guidry, et al did the more amazing.

I would like to not believe it, but there seems to be some veracity by the sheer number of guys that just seem to be falling into a mediocre pit.

It really makes what a Seaver, Gibson, Guidry, et al did the more amazing.

Amphetamines.

• 2 weeks later...

What has been proven that he is injured? Where is the definitive statement on that?

"We are not saying that he has it," Girardi said. "We are not saying that he doesn't. A real low-level risk of thoracic outlet syndrome, which is basically a circulatory problem."

Sounds definitive to me... ;)

Hughes right now has mediocre fastball syndrome. Eiland suffered from that which is why he was the best AAA pitcher but sucked in the bigs. Hopefully in time, Hughes can overcome it.

It is odd that so many other pitchers are having similar decreasing velocity issues.

Or, maybe the proliferation of registering radar readings and documenting them is too much of a rage.

Maybe this has always gone on, and pitchers need to work themselves out of "mediocre fastball syndrome".

Hard to know.

Archived