• 16,619 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Jets great Maynard says Revis couldn't cover him: report
Jets Blog

POST STAFF REPORT

Last Updated: 11:52 AM, June 8, 2011

Posted: 11:08 AM, June 8, 2011
More Print

Don Maynard may have picked up a thing or two about trash talking from Rex Ryan.

After hearing the current Jets head coach call Darrrelle Revis the greatest player in team history, the wide receiver told ESPN.com that he and Joe Namath would have done just fine, thanks, against the cornerback.

"Oh, yeah," Maynard said. "It doesn't matter if it was him or anyone else. I had a guy named Namath throwing me the ball. If he goes left, I go right. If he goes right, I go left -- the ball would be there. And I've never been caught from behind. That's why my book is called, 'You Can't Catch Sunshine.' (Revis) is like Deion Sanders. I would've loved to have played against those guys."

Ryan this week on NFL Network said of Revis, "One day we're gonna say that this is the best Jet in the history of the New York Jets."

Maynard and Namath are the only two primarily Jets players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Running back Curtis Martin, likely headed to Canton at some point, actually agreed with Ryan about Revis.

"As far as the best Jet ever, it's hands down (Revis)," Martin told the website. "Myself, Namath, Maynard, I don't think we were nearly as good at our positions as he is at his position. That's my honest opinion."

Namath has not publicly commented on Ryan's statement.

Ryan made his remarks as part of the NFL Network's countdown of the best 100 players of 2011. Revis is expected to land in the top 10, perhaps in the top five.

Martin said Revis could become one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL.

"It's too early to make this statement, but hypothetically, if he goes the next five years at the level he has displayed, when they do a top 100 of all-time -- not just this year -- he'll be in the top-five discussion," Martin said.

Revis was drafted in 2007 and has been named to three Pro Bowls. He was runner-up for NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 (behind Packers cornerback Charles Woodson).

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...I#ixzz1Ohp28Nex

#2 visajets

visajets

3rd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 9,303 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Gotta love old JETS players talking smack. My only issue is doing it against current NYJETS players.

#3 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

White guy from the 60's vs black guy from the 2010's. Riiiiiight.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#4 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,116 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Revis wouldn't even get out of his backpedal. Caucasians are ******* morons.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#5 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

It's easy to talk smack when you're eighty years old!
"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#6 JohnnyHector

JohnnyHector

Where? In the car?

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

On a similar note, Bruce Jenner is going to challenge Usain Bolt in the 100m to be televised on the next season of Keeping up with the Kardashians.
Posted Image

#7 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 36,762 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

I've only seen highlights of Maynard, but let me guess, he was a gritty player.
Posted Image

#8 JoeWillie

JoeWillie

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

Maynard was one of the fastest players of his era and excelled despite playing in a period where defensive backs could basically "mug" receivers whereever they went on the field as long as the ball wasn't in the air.

I'm not saying Maynard would have had a lot of success against Revis, but let's not make him out to be Kurt Sohn, either.

The guy was an all-time GREAT receiver.

Edited by JoeWillie, 08 June 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#9 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,116 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

Reminds me of when DeBuscherre said that he'd destroy Charles Oakley on the floor.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#10 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 36,762 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

Maynard was one of the fastest players of his era and excelled despite playing in a period where defensive backs could basically "mug" receivers whereever they went on the field as long as the ball wasn't in the air.

I'm not saying Maynard would have had a lot of success against Revis, but let's not make him out to be Kurt Sohn, either.

Yeah, but was he gritty like Wes Welker and Danny Woodhead?
Posted Image

#11 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,045 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, but was he gritty like Wes Welker and Danny Woodhead?

The guy averaged 18.7 ypc over a 15 year career. He was no lame-a$$, gritty, white boy security blanket. He was the real deal.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#12 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,784 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

The guy averaged 18.7 ypc over a 15 year career. He was no lame-a$$, gritty, white boy security blanket. He was the real deal.

So you wouldn't define him as a "lunch pail" type player then?
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#13 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 36,762 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I take it he never cried on the sidelines?
Posted Image

#14 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,045 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

So you wouldn't define him as a "lunch pail" type player then?

I take it he never cried on the sidelines?

No and No. :lol:

I think he'd have a serious problem with Revis covering him, though. Especially if Revis got to mug him all the way downfield, like they did in those days.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#15 villain_the_foe

villain_the_foe

Super Lintendo!

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

Revis wouldn't even get out of his backpedal. Caucasians are ******* morons.

^^^^^this actually made me laugh!

Good one Tom.

The competition will make you better Sanchize!

#16 villain_the_foe

villain_the_foe

Super Lintendo!

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

I heard that Maynard was bad a$$ though. I'm not saying Revis couldnt cover him, but from what I hear, Maynard was a terror on the football field.

My personal opinion as stated last year, I think Revis will go down as the greatest CB ever....so I think Maynard may be shooting air out of his behind alittle bit here.

#17 villain_the_foe

villain_the_foe

Super Lintendo!

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

No and No. :lol:

I think he'd have a serious problem with Revis covering him, though. Especially if Revis got to mug him all the way downfield, like they did in those days.

Kinda like when Revis was son'ing T.O. when we was a Bill. Every time Revis was able to get a legal shot in he took it and laid Owens on the turf every time.

And more to Revis credit, you can barely touch these WR's today yet you cant shake this dude.

#18 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,361 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

It's impossible to compare athletes of different era's

#19 villain_the_foe

villain_the_foe

Super Lintendo!

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

It's impossible to compare athletes of different era's

Its not impossible. We have Madden. :lol:

#20 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Transition Player

• Members
  • 7,423 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Not sure what the outcome of a matchup between Revis in prime vs Maynard in prime would be but i would see it on pay per view!

#21 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,268 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

+1, thank you. And please note that Maynard stipulated that when he faced Revis, Joe Namath had to be throwing to him. Joe Namath who threw hardballs while still backpedaling. Possibly Maynard never saw a CB like Revis, (though the Raiders' Willie Brown was outstanding), but I assure you Revis has never seen a combination like Namath to Maynard.

#22 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 17,396 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

love that old cowboys confidence, but he's wrong on this one

revis is nothing like sanders, nothing at all

makes me wonder if maynard has seen revis play
Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.

#23 BroadwayJ667

BroadwayJ667

JetNation Spokesman

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

Jets great Maynard says Revis couldn't cover him: report
Jets Blog

POST STAFF REPORT

Last Updated: 11:52 AM, June 8, 2011

Posted: 11:08 AM, June 8, 2011
More Print

Don Maynard may have picked up a thing or two about trash talking from Rex Ryan.

After hearing the current Jets head coach call Darrrelle Revis the greatest player in team history, the wide receiver told ESPN.com that he and Joe Namath would have done just fine, thanks, against the cornerback.

"Oh, yeah," Maynard said. "It doesn't matter if it was him or anyone else. I had a guy named Namath throwing me the ball. If he goes left, I go right. If he goes right, I go left -- the ball would be there. And I've never been caught from behind. That's why my book is called, 'You Can't Catch Sunshine.' (Revis) is like Deion Sanders. I would've loved to have played against those guys."

Ryan this week on NFL Network said of Revis, "One day we're gonna say that this is the best Jet in the history of the New York Jets."

I love Don, but Revis is better than Dieon Sanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroL00sxzl0
Posted Image
NYJ 2012 season will be rebuilt like, Now more appropriate with Tebow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kse0MG5n9wI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL716A68B046C6E750

#24 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,212 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

love that old cowboys confidence, but he's wrong on this one

revis is nothing like sanders, nothing at all

makes me wonder if maynard has seen revis play

I love Don, but Revis is better than Dieon Sanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroL00sxzl0

I don't think this is an example of Maynard being old or senile. The reasons why Revis is better than Sanders are irrelevant for purposes of covering Maynard. It would probably pretty much be a speed cover corners game. Run support isn't going to matter much. LOL at Maynard being "plucky"or "gritty" and comparing him to the White Wes Welker. The guy was a flat out burner. Randy Moss is a better comparo.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#25 THE ILK

THE ILK

almost banned yo

• Banned
  • 18,971 posts
  • LocationThe Hall of Doom

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:47 AM

Good for Maynard!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users