Don Maynard says Revis couldn't cover Him

flgreen

Jets great Maynard says Revis couldn't cover him: report

Jets Blog

POST STAFF REPORT

Last Updated: 11:52 AM, June 8, 2011

Posted: 11:08 AM, June 8, 2011

More Print

Don Maynard may have picked up a thing or two about trash talking from Rex Ryan.

After hearing the current Jets head coach call Darrrelle Revis the greatest player in team history, the wide receiver told ESPN.com that he and Joe Namath would have done just fine, thanks, against the cornerback.

"Oh, yeah," Maynard said. "It doesn't matter if it was him or anyone else. I had a guy named Namath throwing me the ball. If he goes left, I go right. If he goes right, I go left -- the ball would be there. And I've never been caught from behind. That's why my book is called, 'You Can't Catch Sunshine.' (Revis) is like Deion Sanders. I would've loved to have played against those guys."

Ryan this week on NFL Network said of Revis, "One day we're gonna say that this is the best Jet in the history of the New York Jets."

Maynard and Namath are the only two primarily Jets players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Running back Curtis Martin, likely headed to Canton at some point, actually agreed with Ryan about Revis.

"As far as the best Jet ever, it's hands down (Revis)," Martin told the website. "Myself, Namath, Maynard, I don't think we were nearly as good at our positions as he is at his position. That's my honest opinion."

Namath has not publicly commented on Ryan's statement.

Ryan made his remarks as part of the NFL Network's countdown of the best 100 players of 2011. Revis is expected to land in the top 10, perhaps in the top five.

Martin said Revis could become one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL.

"It's too early to make this statement, but hypothetically, if he goes the next five years at the level he has displayed, when they do a top 100 of all-time -- not just this year -- he'll be in the top-five discussion," Martin said.

Revis was drafted in 2007 and has been named to three Pro Bowls. He was runner-up for NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 (behind Packers cornerback Charles Woodson).

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_great_maynard_says_revis_couldn_TruCVzWM0i2ArT3ToY0jXI#ixzz1Ohp28Nex

I've only seen highlights of Maynard, but let me guess, he was a gritty player.

Maynard was one of the fastest players of his era and excelled despite playing in a period where defensive backs could basically "mug" receivers whereever they went on the field as long as the ball wasn't in the air.

I'm not saying Maynard would have had a lot of success against Revis, but let's not make him out to be Kurt Sohn, either.

The guy was an all-time GREAT receiver.

Maynard was one of the fastest players of his era and excelled despite playing in a period where defensive backs could basically "mug" receivers whereever they went on the field as long as the ball wasn't in the air.

I'm not saying Maynard would have had a lot of success against Revis, but let's not make him out to be Kurt Sohn, either.

Yeah, but was he gritty like Wes Welker and Danny Woodhead?

Yeah, but was he gritty like Wes Welker and Danny Woodhead?

The guy averaged 18.7 ypc over a 15 year career. He was no lame-a$$, gritty, white boy security blanket. He was the real deal.

So you wouldn't define him as a "lunch pail" type player then?

I take it he never cried on the sidelines?

No and No. :lol:

I think he'd have a serious problem with Revis covering him, though. Especially if Revis got to mug him all the way downfield, like they did in those days.

I've only seen highlights of Maynard, but let me guess, he was a gritty player.

I heard that Maynard was bad a$$ though. I'm not saying Revis couldnt cover him, but from what I hear, Maynard was a terror on the football field.

My personal opinion as stated last year, I think Revis will go down as the greatest CB ever....so I think Maynard may be shooting air out of his behind alittle bit here.

No and No. :lol:

I think he'd have a serious problem with Revis covering him, though. Especially if Revis got to mug him all the way downfield, like they did in those days.

Kinda like when Revis was son'ing T.O. when we was a Bill. Every time Revis was able to get a legal shot in he took it and laid Owens on the turf every time.

And more to Revis credit, you can barely touch these WR's today yet you cant shake this dude.

+1, thank you. And please note that Maynard stipulated that when he faced Revis, Joe Namath had to be throwing to him. Joe Namath who threw hardballs while still backpedaling. Possibly Maynard never saw a CB like Revis, (though the Raiders' Willie Brown was outstanding), but I assure you Revis has never seen a combination like Namath to Maynard.

Jets great Maynard says Revis couldn't cover him: report

Jets Blog

POST STAFF REPORT

Last Updated: 11:52 AM, June 8, 2011

Posted: 11:08 AM, June 8, 2011

More Print

Don Maynard may have picked up a thing or two about trash talking from Rex Ryan.

After hearing the current Jets head coach call Darrrelle Revis the greatest player in team history, the wide receiver told ESPN.com that he and Joe Namath would have done just fine, thanks, against the cornerback.

"Oh, yeah," Maynard said. "It doesn't matter if it was him or anyone else. I had a guy named Namath throwing me the ball. If he goes left, I go right. If he goes right, I go left -- the ball would be there. And I've never been caught from behind. That's why my book is called, 'You Can't Catch Sunshine.' (Revis) is like Deion Sanders. I would've loved to have played against those guys."

Ryan this week on NFL Network said of Revis, "One day we're gonna say that this is the best Jet in the history of the New York Jets."

I love Don, but Revis is better than Dieon Sanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroL00sxzl0

love that old cowboys confidence, but he's wrong on this one

revis is nothing like sanders, nothing at all

makes me wonder if maynard has seen revis play

I love Don, but Revis is better than Dieon Sanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroL00sxzl0

I don't think this is an example of Maynard being old or senile. The reasons why Revis is better than Sanders are irrelevant for purposes of covering Maynard. It would probably pretty much be a speed cover corners game. Run support isn't going to matter much. LOL at Maynard being "plucky"or "gritty" and comparing him to the White Wes Welker. The guy was a flat out burner. Randy Moss is a better comparo.

I don't think this is an example of Maynard being old or senile. The reasons why Revis is better than Sanders are irrelevant for purposes of covering Maynard. It would probably pretty much be a speed cover corners game. Run support isn't going to matter much. LOL at Maynard being "plucky"or "gritty" and comparing him to the White Wes Welker. The guy was a flat out burner. Randy Moss is a better comparo.

Yeah but, Welker >>>>> Moss. Its not even close according to Pats fans.

Weak. Why do old Jets players talk crap about new players? Shouldn't you be supporting this new Jets team, that's one of the best we've had in a very long time? Even Namath talks crap these days. Your days are over, stop acting like you're the best ever and no one will ever top you. It's like they want the Jets to never win a SB again, so they can be the only ones that did it. Revis shuts down guys like Reggie Wayne from Peyton Manning, and all other top WRs and QB combos in the league. Manning and Wayne are 2 of the best players to ever play the game right there. Namath is a Jets legend, but he can't hold a candle to the likes of Peyton Manning or any top QB today. Sorry guys, Revis would still shut you down.

Reminds me of when DeBuscherre said that he'd destroy Charles Oakley on the floor.

Lol, i remember going to a knicks game when i was pretty young, and they had an old timers game at halftime. DeBuscherre went up and down the court three times and then headed back to the bench to get hooked up to the oxygen. I think he came close to dying right there on the court. Woulda been cool to see that, lol.

Maynard was a very rare athlete. He could fly and his hands were like glue. White or black or brown or red...he holds the jets record for receptions (sorry Wesley Walker, Keyshawn Johnson, Wayne Chrebet, George Sauer, Jerome Barkum, Mickey Shuler, Rich Caster, Laveranues Coles, Al Toon, etc.). He's one of only three Jets to make the Hall of Fame and one of only three to have his number retired. Would he dominate Revis? No. no one can Dominate Revis. but lets not pretend he could'nt grab a deep ball or two on Darelle. All-time greats can do it on anyone given the right circumstances and a well thrown ball. R. moss simultaneously caught that one-hander on revis and blew up his hamstring. Darelle is great, but he's getting too much hype, I think. It's like those Chuck Norris Jokes. A little over the top.

Weak. Why do old Jets players talk crap about new players? Shouldn't you be supporting this new Jets team, that's one of the best we've had in a very long time? Even Namath talks crap these days. Your days are over, stop acting like you're the best ever and no one will ever top you. It's like they want the Jets to never win a SB again, so they can be the only ones that did it. Revis shuts down guys like Reggie Wayne from Peyton Manning, and all other top WRs and QB combos in the league. Manning and Wayne are 2 of the best players to ever play the game right there. Namath is a Jets legend, but he can't hold a candle to the likes of Peyton Manning or any top QB today. Sorry guys, Revis would still shut you down.

These guys have supported the Jets through thick and thin. Maynard wasn't tooting his own horn so much (other than his being fast - a fact, not an opinion) but Namath's. I think he was just standing up for his teammate and leader. False about Namath not being able to hold a candle to Manning. Manning has had a better, more consitent career, but Namath and Maynard are two guys who could compete in this era and the rule changes would certainly benefit them as much as anybody. These guys have supported the Jets and come to games even when the ownership and FO tried to push them away. I know Randy Beverly's son and he says his Dad still goes to every home game and this is after they traded him for a bag of peanuts one season after the super bowl despite his having 2 picks one from each HOF superstar QB and all the other bullsh*t they've put up with since.

Lol, i remember going to a knicks game when i was pretty young, and they had an old timers game at halftime. DeBuscherre went up and down the court three times and then headed back to the bench to get hooked up to the oxygen. I think he came close to dying right there on the court. Woulda been cool to see that, lol.

DeBuscherre was a hard a$$. His problem was the Dewars. I'm sure he had a few before that game. He always had a few, unless he had more than a few.

Is Maynard talking about his days in the AFL/NFL where a DB could beat the crap out of a WR or today's NFL were a DBs can't do anything? Either way Maynard gets crushed by Revis.

Sorry old man, you were great back in the day but Revis would destroy you. You think Namath can read today's defenses?

Is Maynard talking about his days in the AFL/NFL where a DB could beat the crap out of a WR or today's NFL were a DBs can't do anything? Either way Maynard gets crushed by Revis.

Sorry old man, you were great back in the day but Revis would destroy you. You think Namath can read today's defenses?

Today's defenses? The ones where nobody is allowed to hit the WRs and you can't touch the QB? I think he'd have had a pretty easy time of it.

Today's defenses? The ones where nobody is allowed to hit the WRs and you can't touch the QB? I think he'd have had a pretty easy time of it.

Would Namath be able to handle the exotic blitz packages that are dominant in this day and age? I doubt it.

Archived