Don Maynard says Revis couldn't cover Him

flgreen

Would Namath be able to handle the exotic blitz packages that are dominant in this day and age? I doubt it.

Was Namath going to be dropped in to today's game by a time machine?

No. He would've grown up in today's systems, and he possessed the talent to be one of the best. Today's surgery techniques would've made him stronger, too.

Exotic blitz packages are so much more difficult to deal with than Ben Davidson kicking you in the head, wrenching your knees and stepping on your back.

Haha! The more I think about it, the dumber it is.

Who do you think would've had more success? Namath in today's NFL, or Brady in the 60's AFL? Make Brady call his own plays, take away his slot receiver, and make him throw downfield (knowing that a DE is going to get a free legal shot on him whether he gets the throw off or not) to receivers getting mugged by CB's... he'd completely flop. Lol!

Colour me racist, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Maynard, on his best day, ran about a 4.6/40. They can't all be Don Boyd Odegard.

Absolutely wrong. Maynard ran a legitamite recorded 9.5 100 yards. Assuming he was not slow out of the start (which he wasn't) that equates to about 4.3/4.4 forty. Forget the white/black 1960s/2011 steryotyping, Maynard could flat out fly.

The Chiefs were one of the few teams that used the 40 to time their players back in the sixties. They had two guys who ran a 4.3. WR Otis Taylor and CB Emmit Thomas. I remember Maynard burning the all pro Emmit Thomas on long bombs a couple of times.

That being said, it is not hype about Revis. He is the best CB I have ever seen.

Absolutely wrong. Maynard ran a legitamite recorded 9.5 100 yards. Assuming he was not slow out of the start (which he wasn't) that equates to about 4.3/4.4 forty. Forget the white/black 1960s/2011 steryotyping, Maynard could flat out fly.

The Chiefs were one of the few teams that used the 40 to time their players back in the sixties. They had two guys who ran a 4.3. WR Otis Taylor and CB Emmit Thomas. I remember Maynard burning the all pro Emmit Thomas on long bombs a couple of times.

That being said, it is not hype about Revis. He is the best CB I have ever seen.

I'll take your word for it, my friend. But, like tales of the Mickey Mantle 600 ft homer, it all seems pretty dubious when you consider that players who can do those things no longer exist in today's juiced-up sports world. It's hard to believe that a white dude was dropping 4.3's or anyone was hitting 600 ft au naturale. But, I will defer to your eyewitness testimony.

Haha! The more I think about it, the dumber it is.

Who do you think would've had more success? Namath in today's NFL, or Brady in the 60's AFL? Make Brady call his own plays, take away his slot receiver, and make him throw downfield (knowing that a DE is going to get a free legal shot on him whether he gets the throw off or not) to receivers getting mugged by CB's... he'd completely flop. Lol!

Excellent, excellent post.

It's been proven that when Brady gets hit, he just ain't that good.

The 60's and 70's NFL would have ate Brady up.

On the other hand, Namath would have thrown for 6,000 yards every year in today's NFL.

Plenty of fast white guys have played in the NFL and all sports for that matter.

Its all about opportunity, socioeconomics, not genetics.

Get over the inferiority complex palefaces.

Look what it did for Jimmy the Greek.

Maynard may be right or wrong regarding Revis but he has every right to say what he feels.

Hes not some scrub talkin sh!t

He earned it by being one of the best ever.

FWIW, Revis is very good but he's no Deon, Willie Brown, Mel Blount or (my pick for best ever) Rod Woodson.

False about Namath not being able to hold a candle to Manning. Manning has had a better, more consitent career, but Namath and Maynard are two guys who could compete in this era and the rule changes would certainly benefit them as much as anybody.

No offense, I love Joe Namath, but you can't compare him to Manning. I know the rules have changed to favor QBs and we play 2 more games these days, but look at the stat difference. Manning has a 2:1 TD:Pick ratio while Namath's was closer to 1:2 (a little better than that). No QB that throws more picks than TDs can be considered one of the best or better than Peyton. Namath is still my hero, but the facts is the facts.

Pro Football Historical Abstract: A Hardcore Fan's Guide to All-Time Player Rankings has Maynard ranked as the 8th all-time WR. The book is far from perfect and the defensive rankings are beyond bizzare, but I don't think a top 10 WR should have to apologize for thinking he could get open against anybody.

Is Maynard talking about his days in the AFL/NFL where a DB could beat the crap out of a WR or today's NFL were a DBs can't do anything? Either way Maynard gets crushed by Revis.

Sorry old man, you were great back in the day but Revis would destroy you. You think Namath can read today's defenses?

Like Brady can? Hell Namath doesn't even need the secret tapes to do well, the dude won a SB before there were even cameras on the sidelines!

Meanwhile your poser boy can't even win a playoff game after they take the tapes away.

Keep getting your championships in September and your pointless regular season MVPs. The Jets will keep winning playoff games and aim for the big one.

Archived