Erik Ainge has torn rotator cuff

flgreen

June 9, 2011 9:44 PM 4 comments

Erik Ainge has torn rotator cuff in throwing shoulder

BY Manish Mehta

Quarterback Erik Ainge has a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, leaving his immediate future in the league in doubt. Ainge, who spent the entire 2010 season on the reserve/did not report list due to drug and alcohol issues, relayed the injury news on his official Twitter page Thursday night.

“Found out i have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder today, no fun, o well, could always be worse, im sober and loved, all that matters,” Ainge tweeted.

Ainge, who turns 25 on Sunday, hasn't taken a regular-season snap in his career. He was suspended for four games without pay in 2008 for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

The Jets have three other quarterbacks (Mark Sanchez, Mark Brunell and Kevin O’Connell) under contract for 2011. Gang Green also signed Drew Willy to a reserve/future contract and drafted Greg McElroy in this year’s draft.

For more Jets news. follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

You never know. I would say that he definitely is on the scrap heap-that is, he joins the group of 200 or so out-of-work quarterbacks out there who conceivably could play in the league with the right breaks, (that is somebody on some coaching staff puts in a good word for them), but who really has nobody on any coaching staff who is going to do that.

Occasionally a starting QB gets hurt and one of these guys gets called in for a tryout for third string and sticks, but it's a long shot.

Its time to cut ties with Ainge.

agreed. in fact, i'd like to know how the hell he's hung around this long. He's an addict/alcoholic steroid abuser who never made it to the field and yet he's somehow stayed on the payroll. Throws a nice ball--I'll say that for him. but what the hell? I'm sure we could've been developing a solid backup in his place the last few years.

agreed. in fact, i'd like to know how the hell he's hung around this long. He's an addict/alcoholic steroid abuser who never made it to the field and yet he's somehow stayed on the payroll. Throws a nice ball--I'll say that for him. but what the hell? I'm sure we could've been developing a solid backup in his place the last few years.

Tannenbaum is a big Celtics fan.

Archived