Shonn Greene feels good about Jets plans

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shonn Greene 'feels good' about Jets' plans for him as primary ball carrier

Published: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 1:43 PM Updated: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 2:18 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

On the third day of this year’s NFL Draft, Rex Ryan announced that third-year player Shonn Greene is “ready to be that bell-cow,” i.e. the Jets’ primary ballcarrier in 2011.

Greene said that was the first time he heard the coach’s plans for him this season — assuming the labor dispute is resolved — but it came as welcome news.

“After the season, we didn’t hear much because of the lockout,” Greene said today, after an autograph signing in Edison for the Collectors’ Showcase of America. “It showed they have a lot of faith in me, and confidence. It made me feel good because they know what I can do and that I’m ready to take that next step.”

Greene has spent his offseason training in his native New Jersey, working out on his own with a trainer since the owners imposed the work stoppage on March 12. He appeared to be in good shape and said he currently weighs about 230 pounds, which he said is right at his target weight. Last season, he was listed at 226 pounds on his 5-11 frame.

“There’s nothing to do since the lockout but work out,” said Greene, who is from Sicklerville. “I think most guys are in shape.”

Greene said he’s not worrying about the lockout affecting his preparation for the season or his projected transition into a larger role. Eleven-year veteran LaDainian Tomlinson is expecting to be primarily used as a third-down back, with Joe McKnight and fourth-round draft pick Bilal Powell in complementary roles.

Greene carried the ball 185 times for 766 yards in the 2010 regular season, sharing the load with Tomlinson, who carried the ball 219 times for 914 yards. Tomlinson got off to a hot start last fall and started 13 games, while Greene again came on late in the season and the playoffs.

“No matter what my situation is going to be with the team, I try to go in as if I’m the No. 1 guy, so I can be prepared for everything,” Greene said. “Each year I’ve been with the Jets, I’ve gone into it knowing all the roles that can happen.”

Greene, 25, also said he doesn’t view this as a make-or-break season and said there isn’t anything he’s trying to prove. But with two seasons under his belt, he said this is the most comfortable he has felt with a larger role.

“I’m just trying to do what the team asks of me,” Greene said. “I just want to help my team get to that championship game.”

Greene said he opted not to participate in quarterback Mark Sanchez’s “Jets West” camp for the offensive skill players last month because he needed to stay in New Jersey to help care for his 7-month old son, Jeremiah.

But he said talks are continuing for the Jets to organize player-run workouts “pretty soon.” Sanchez has been taking the lead, he said, emailing team leaders and looking into potential venues. Greene said the workouts will “most likely” be held in New Jersey.

“Everybody’s out in different states, so everybody’s trying to get on the same page,” Greene said. “Get guys here; guys that live here, get some guys some room to stay so we can get some work in. Try to get some camaraderie going because a lot of guys haven’t seen each other.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Archived