Movies We've Seen Thread

Finally caught up on a few:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - meh, it was fun but ridiculously repetitive.  The scenes were damn near cartoonish.  The story sucked.  The jokes, werent nearly as funny as the first and it was repetitive and predictable.  They made the same joke 25 times in the movie just said a different way and it wasnt really all that funny the first time.  These movies are borderline Fast and Furious....all about the crew and the family and ridiculous action scenes that are almost too much for the audience to follow.  After the first one being awesome, this just seemed forced and the story just lacked depth, the characters are really not interesting at all.  They probably should have done a 1 and done on this one.  

Wonder Woman - didnt love it the way everyone else did.  Incredibly cheesy.  The fight scenes were cool but basically pure CGI.  It was like the Matrix meets the Xmen. Slow motion, freezes mixed with a fight scenes that covers the entire sky harnessing powers and energy from beyond.  I thought Galdot did a good job of balancing the babe in the woods act and the warrior who wanted peace - which is a lot to ask - and she pulled it off.  It was cool seeing DC actually use human emotion in their films.  I think it was a good addition based on a very flimsy plot and the simplicity of it was a bit refreshing from the other DC movies but it left a lot to be desired as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/31/2017 at 5:36 PM, peebag said:

Saw Dunkirk in IMAX.  Good movie, not great.

I saw the Dunkirk mini-movie in IMAX that aired before Rogue One and it was one of the most intense things I've ever experienced in a theatre - gave me motion sickness, which I never had before. I'm not sure I want to see the full feature just because the mini-movie was so perfect, imo. 

• Upvote 2

Spiderman Homecoming; not that I didnt expect it to be a kid movie but it was like, really a movie for kids.  Though I do appreciate the perspective being unique for a Spiderman flick, it was just a total teeny bopper flick.  All good, it was fun in a, "if I was 12 this movie would the bomb" sort of way.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:22 AM, Integrity28 said:

I saw the Dunkirk mini-movie in IMAX that aired before Rogue One and it was one of the most intense things I've ever experienced in a theatre - gave me motion sickness, which I never had before. I'm not sure I want to see the full feature just because the mini-movie was so perfect, imo. 

Dunkirk is the only movie over ever seen where I felt tired after it because every scene was so stressful. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Saw The Dark Tower yesterday, it was pretty good.  It could have been longer with more back story.  The books are definitely better.  I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars

I will, with great respect, totally disagree.

I thought it was awful.   Not as bad as Independence Day 2, but worse then the new Ghostbusters.   20 minutes in, I literally said to the person I was with, "At least it's short, so we don't have to sit here for another 2 hours."   The dialogue was bad, the characters were poorly done.   I like Elba, but he just kind of growled his lines.  The boy has a major tragedy, and 30 minutes later, he's ok!.  The man in black was piss poor.

That's without taking into account the fact that other then people's names and an actual Dark Tower this had nothing to do with the books.  The Running Man was a better SK adaptation.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I will, with great respect, totally disagree.

I thought it was awful.   Not as bad as Independence Day 2, but worse then the new Ghostbusters.   20 minutes in, I literally said to the person I was with, "At least it's short, so we don't have to sit here for another 2 hours."   The dialogue was bad, the characters were poorly done.   I like Elba, but he just kind of growled his lines.  The boy has a major tragedy, and 30 minutes later, he's ok!.  The man in black was piss poor.

That's without taking into account the fact that other then people's names and an actual Dark Tower this had nothing to do with the books.  The Running Man was a better SK adaptation.

I know what you mean, but I had read up on it ahead and saw where they were not going to follow the books as it should have been.   So I was prepared for something different. It was a cliff notes version.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:03 AM, T0mShane said:

Dunkirk is the only movie over ever seen where I felt tired after it because every scene was so stressful. 

That's a great way of putting it.  Saw it yesterday.  Wow.  Just simply incredible.  

Someone tried to tell me it was just o.k. when I was tripping out on it and I was like:

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

• Upvote 1

On August 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM, JiF said:

That's a great way of putting it.  Saw it yesterday.  Wow.  Just simply incredible.  

Someone tried to tell me it was just o.k. when I was tripping out on it and I was like:

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

Agreed!

it will def be up for several Academy Awards including Best Picture / Cinematography!

see it in IMAX if possible for sure !!!

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not so sure that the child of a man that owns the Carnosaur collection on VHS is the example we should be following here.

My next purchase is going to be Deafula. You have to check that one out. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, chirorob said:

what's the bottom one from?

Think it's from the TV show "Ugly Betty".   She produced the show, I believe.

EDIT:  If you want to get an eyeful of the gorgeous Salma, check out the gifs from "Ask the Dusk".  She's splashing around in the surf with nothing on. W-O-W.

• Post of the Week 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Larz said:

so "IT" is just the first phase of the book, the kids vs pennywise part

I get it, its a 10,000 page book, but damn you peter jackson for this damned trend

The book is too big to not split into 2 movies.  

The Hobbit was short, 1 movie would be fine.   It was a 4 hour mini series.  There's no way they could do it in 2 hours, they'd have to cut way too much out.

Really enjoyed "IT"

its tough to walk the humor/horror line without some unintentional laughs or falling flat, but they did a great job.  Horror movies have become really predictable with the jump scares, but they did a good job and made me jump twice

strong performances by the kids, Beverly and Eddie in particular

The kid who played the bully was very good.  The school bully has become so cliche in movies there is no new ground, but this kid is really sadistic, you want to see him get the inevitable payback

Pennywise was brilliant. The effects are super good.  Definitely see this one in the theatre

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Larz said:

Really enjoyed "IT"

its tough to walk the humor/horror line without some unintentional laughs or falling flat, but they did a great job.  Horror movies have become really predictable with the jump scares, but they did a good job and made me jump twice

strong performances by the kids, Beverly and Eddie in particular

The kid who played the bully was very good.  The school bully has become so cliche in movies there is no new ground, but this kid is really sadistic, you want to see him get the inevitable payback

Pennywise was brilliant. The effects are super good.  Definitely see this one in the theatre

I give it a very solid, B to B+.  I agree, the kids were good, and that's always a risk with a bunch of kids making their 1st ever movie. 

They got me to jump once real bad, my date was laughing at me.   Totally agree about seeing it in the theatre.   Little Ritchie was hilarious, and the theatre was cracking up with him, and hearing 200 people all jump at once just really adds to the experience.  Go, see it in a theatre, and and see it with a crowd.   Totally worth it.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:10 PM, Larz said:

so "IT" is just the first phase of the book, the kids vs pennywise part

I get it, its a 10,000 page book, but damn you peter jackson for this damned trend

Having now seen the movie, there is no way you could have put the whole book in to one film.  They cut stuff as it was, and it was a very good movie, with little wasted space.  To try to do it all in 1, just would not have worked.

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Having now seen the movie, there is no way you could have put the whole book in to one film.  They cut stuff as it was, and it was a very good movie, with little wasted space.  To try to do it all in 1, just would not have worked.

Yeah I don't know what the heck I was thinking other than I don't want to wait to Long for part 2

I might go see it again actually

• Sympathy 1

On 9/18/2017 at 8:40 AM, rillo said:

IT was pretty good, watched it this past weekend, I jumped a few times. Glad to see it's being received well.

I'm finally seeing it tomorrow and I'm pumped. It has been an outstanding decade for horror and it feels like It is forcing the general public to go back and evaluate this. 

Really happy it's successful. Hoping they go all-out and get weird with it for part 2.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm finally seeing it tomorrow and I'm pumped. It has been an outstanding decade for horror and it feels like It is forcing the general public to go back and evaluate this. 

Really happy it's successful. Hoping they go all-out and get weird with it for part 2.

This movie did the OG movie justice IMO. Minor changes here and there, but overall on point.

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2017 at 8:15 PM, rillo said:

This movie did the OG movie justice IMO. Minor changes here and there, but overall on point.

I thought it put the original to shame. OG miniseries is campy and Curry's performance is what made it a hallmark. I really loved this new one. It's incredibly well shot, and it deserves an Oscar nom for best sound too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they recreate the greatest Tim Curry scene ever for Part II.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:04 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I really liked it, too.  The only thing I would have liked is a little backstory on Pennywise, where he came from etc.  

In the book, iirc, they don't really find out until the adult part, so it's really just a minor complaint.

1 hour ago, Thor99 said:

I really liked it, too.  The only thing I would have liked is a little backstory on Pennywise, where he came from etc.  

In the book, iirc, they don't really find out until the adult part, so it's really just a minor complaint.

They said they deleted an origin scene from the original script because it was too demented. I get it. There's no way they could have known how successful this remake was going to be, and I think they already bordered on a NC-17 rating with this one. 

For sure they will have something in 2. BUT with the way Hollywood does franchises now, this sh*t is sure to have a billion spinoffs and an entire origin movie wouldn't surprise me at all. 

Also FYI Muschetti says he wants to remake Pet Cemetary after he's done with 2.