Movies We've Seen Thread

Initial thoughts on 2049, spoiler free:

- It is very much it's own movie. Here is the best way I can put it: Denis Villaneuve is every bit as good a director as Ridley Scott was in his prime, but they are very different directors in the way they portray things with neither being better or worse than the other. Both Blade Runner movies occur in the same place and time, with some of the same characters, and 2049 is a continuation of the story of the first; but the original is very much a Ridley Scott movie, and 2049 is very much a Denis Villaneuve movie.

- The story is so great. Great scifi takes on heady concepts and 2049 takes on some cool ones. One of the best parts of the original was the Asimovian questions it posed about AI and the sequel builds on that, then heading straight into some really original territory. Ditto for the original's other themes of memories, cities, and even the eyes.

- See it in the biggest, loudest theater you can find.

- Bringing in Hans Zimmer to match things up closer to Vangelis was a great move. The sound. Good lord the sound. It would have been terrible if 2049 didn't have similar music so whatever they did to change it to what the final product was the right call.

- I hope they do some more short movies or even a book explaining what happened with major world events mentioned in between 2019 and 2049.

- My one critique would have to do with Leto's character, but I'll save that for when people see it.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:52 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Initial thoughts on 2049, spoiler free:

- It is very much it's own movie. Here is the best way I can put it: Denis Villaneuve is every bit as good a director as Ridley Scott was in his prime, but they are very different directors in the way they portray things with neither being better or worse than the other. Both Blade Runner movies occur in the same place and time, with some of the same characters, and 2049 is a continuation of the story of the first; but the original is very much a Ridley Scott movie, and 2049 is very much a Denis Villaneuve movie.

- The story is so great. Great scifi takes on heady concepts and 2049 takes on some cool ones. One of the best parts of the original was the Asimovian questions it posed about AI and the sequel builds on that, then heading straight into some really original territory. Ditto for the original's other themes of memories, cities, and even the eyes.

- See it in the biggest, loudest theater you can find.

- Bringing in Hans Zimmer to match things up closer to Vangelis was a great move. The sound. Good lord the sound. It would have been terrible if 2049 didn't have similar music so whatever they did to change it to what the final product was the right call.

- I hope they do some more short movies or even a book explaining what happened with major world events mentioned in between 2019 and 2049.

- My one critique would have to do with Leto's character, but I'll save that for when people see it.

I was curious on your thoughts, because we usually agree on movies.

I thought it was ok.   Sound was great, very glad I saw it in XD.   But I didn't love it.   One character I was very happily surprised with was Dave Bautista's.   To go from an ex wrestler, to Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy to this role is impressive.   He could have a real legit movie career in front of him.

I'll PM you for a conversation that won't spoil it for anyone else.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I thought it was ok.   Sound was great, very glad I saw it in XD.   But I didn't love it.   One character I was very happily surprised with was Dave Bautista's.   To go from an ex wrestler, to Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy to this role is impressive.   He could have a real legit movie career in front of him.

Also worth noting, I am a lifelong Blade Runner junkie so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

11 hours ago, chirorob said:

Check out Bushwick. The movie itself is kind of meh, but Bautista is fantastic in it. 

• Upvote 1

Saw Blade Runner 2049.  Wow.  The level of sucktitude was inceredible.  Even the fantastic Dolby theater and sound couldn't salvage this piece of garbage.  THey spent $155 million on it and won't come close to that in the box office.   I'd like that 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life back.  Awful.  And Ryan Gosling is beyond awful.  

Don't waste your time on this one.  Bad movie.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

Saw Blade Runner 2049.  Wow.  The level of sucktitude was inceredible.  Even the fantastic Dolby theater and sound couldn't salvage this piece of garbage.  THey spent $155 million on it and won't come close to that in the box office.   I'd like that 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life back.  Awful.  And Ryan Gosling is beyond awful.  

Don't waste your time on this one.  Bad movie.

Thanks for your post.  I saw it last weekend and was resisting posting a review.

I did not hate it.  But did not like it either.  The director needed to take at least 40 minutes out of the flick.  EVERYTHING was taking forever and a day to develop.  And when they did?  They were small moves, not some Earth-shaking revelations.  I found myself looking at my watch after a while which is the kiss of death for a film.  Overall, 6-10.

Best parts of the movie for me were the incredible sets and monstrous sound design.  Just absolutely brilliant.  I also enjoyed looking at Ana de Armas in the role of Joi.  She is breathtakingly gorgeous.  What a perfect face.

ana_de_armas_as_joi_in_blade_runner_2049

• Upvote 2

Village of the Damned is up on HBO. Everyone loves Carpenter for Escape from NY or Halloween or The Thing, but flicks like this one and In the Mouth of Madness are straight prime Carpenter. **** Rotten Tomatoes. The man was an 80s and 90s Hitchcock. 

Also I don’t think anyone in history could own the screen like Christopher Reeve. 

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Village of the Damned is up on HBO. Everyone loves Carpenter for Escape from NY or Halloween or The Thing, but flicks like this one and In the Mouth of Madness are straight prime Carpenter. **** Rotten Tomatoes. The man was an 80s and 90s Hitchcock. 

Also I don’t think anyone in history could own the screen like Christopher Reeve. 

Rotten Tomatoes can suck it.

They gave Lucky # Slevin a 51, and I love that movie.

They did give Big Trouble in Little China an 82, but it should be mid 90s at least.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

They did give Big Trouble in Little China an 82, but it should be mid 90s at least.

The original Halloween has a 93.

Think about that for a second. That means multiple people who get paid to review movies gave Halloween a thumbs down. That's like the idiot who voted against Greg Maddux.

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2017 at 9:06 AM, munchmemory said:

Thanks for your post.  I saw it last weekend and was resisting posting a review.

I did not hate it.  But did not like it either.  The director needed to take at least 40 minutes out of the flick.  EVERYTHING was taking forever and a day to develop.  And when they did?  They were small moves, not some Earth-shaking revelations.  I found myself looking at my watch after a while which is the kiss of death for a film.  Overall, 6-10.

Best parts of the movie for me were the incredible sets and monstrous sound design.  Just absolutely brilliant.  I also enjoyed looking at Ana de Armas in the role of Joi.  She is breathtakingly gorgeous.  What a perfect face.

ana_de_armas_as_joi_in_blade_runner_2049

she is indeed beautiful.  Wasn't enough to salvage this train wreck of film

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

Big Trouble in Little China is in my top 10 - if anyone has not seen it, do so.  Do so now.

1*u_N5KMJU9GruLWRafuG_2A.gif

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, Larz said:

anyone hear of this movie "inglorious basterds"?

I thought it was a western, turns out I was wrong !

Are you serious....   ?         Can't tell.

But it's epic Quentin goodness.    Probably my favorite movie of his.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Are you serious....   ?         Can't tell.

But it's epic Quentin goodness.    Probably my favorite movie of his.

Yup

With kids in the house and a god fearing wife I don't get too many chances to watch grown up movies

First scene was brilliant 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yup

With kids in the house and a god fearing wife I don't get too many chances to watch grown up movies

First scene was brilliant 

Amazing.   Just 2 guys at a table, with a glass of Milk.   Great acting, great dialogue.   Such a menacing, evil person, who never yells, shows super powers, anything.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Amazing.   Just 2 guys at a table, with a glass of Milk.   Great acting, great dialogue.   Such a menacing, evil person, who never yells, shows super powers, anything.

The politeness and manners he showed, but you know what he is there to do, was just evil

I knew it was a famous movie, I must have had it confused with another movie

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Larz said:

The politeness and manners he showed, but you know what he is there to do, was just evil

I knew it was a famous movie, I must have had it confused with another movie

All good.   You are correct, the manners, the cultured way he spoke.  Just beautiful acting.