Movies We've Seen Thread

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cloverfield Paradox is the bomb. This is sneakily becoming one of my favorite franchises. I'm sure people will find a way to bitch and moan about it, but whatevs.

Kudos to Abrams for eschewing traditional trailers and releases. It was nice to be surprised like that for a change. 

I've never seen any of them.   I don't usually like the shaky cam type stuff, gives me a headache after a while.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I've never seen any of them.   I don't usually like the shaky cam type stuff, gives me a headache after a while.

Only the first one is found footage. The second and third movies are not. That said if you can’t watch the first I wouldn’t bother with the third. The second one can be enjoyed on its own for sure; and the nice thing about that is it is by far the best movie of the franchise.

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cloverfield Paradox is the bomb. This is sneakily becoming one of my favorite franchises. I'm sure people will find a way to bitch and moan about it, but whatevs.

Kudos to Abrams for eschewing traditional trailers and releases. It was nice to be surprised like that for a change. 

I caught it today and I liked it for the most part especially the parts  on the helios. 

The helios was really cool and the effects of the shepherd overload were very good 

But....... Lol

These franchise movies aren't even pretending to give you back story anymore or even an ending. I really didn't care who lived or died. When Jenkins had the gun it was like oh well who cares. 

Alien was able to give you a feel for the crew just through dialog. Even though we know some of them will die, it's a movie about a scary alien, you didn't want them to go. 

I give it 3 mjolnirs

On 2/5/2018 at 9:58 AM, chirorob said:

The first one was shaky cam, I thought it was terrible. 

The second one was 100x better than the first IMO

The third one that was just released is god awful. 

Some theaters are showing the 5 2018 Oscar nominees for short films, one for animated, one for live action. Each category has five films nominated so each goes close to 100 minutes in total.

We went to see the live action version this afternoon and were quite blown away by two of the five and were entertained by another. Two left us wondering why they were even nominated. 

In order of how they are shown, the films are:

1. DeKalb Elementary: Based on an actual 911 phone call, a gunman enters an Atlanta, Georgia elementary school and encounters a compassionate employee.  

2. The Silent Child: Tells the story of Libby, a profoundly deaf four-year-old girl, who lives a silent life until a social worker, played by Shenton, teaches her how to communicate through sign language

3. My Nephew Emmett: The murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till in 1955 Mississippi is experienced from his uncle's perspective

4. The Eleven O'Clock: A session between a psychiatrist and his patient, delusively believing he is the psychiatrist, gets out of hand

5. Watu Wote (All of Us): Jua, a Christian living in Kenya, boards a chartered bus to visit a relative and is uncomfortable being surrounded by Muslim passengers. The bus is stopped by the violent terrorist group Al-Shabaab, whose members demand that the Muslims identify the Christian passengers.

I can't comment much on any of these as I do not want to give away what happens in each but The Silent Child stood above all of these, something that I did not expect. It was a piece of art and brought tears to our eyes. If this does not win the Oscar in this category, it will be an injustice. Watu Wote was also quite powerful and wonderfully shot. This also evoked an emotional response and if there were standings for these things, it would finish second. The Eleven O'clock was quite funny and had the added bonus of starring Damon Herriman, who we really enjoyed as Dewey Crowe in Justified. My Nephew Emmett is a true story told better elsewhere. Key elements of the impact of what happened were ignored or glossed over. DeKalb Elementary was the weakest of the bunch. Of course, opinions vary and you may feel different if you saw these films.

Generally, this was an unusual movie visit. Give it a try if it is near you and you like film as art.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think so. There is an easter egg in the original Cloverfield where you see something falling into the ocean from the sky. The original theory was that it was the monster as a baby but now everyone thinks it's their ship.

Got it. The concept is more interesting than the actual movies. They're ok though. I agree with Larz on the character dev.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

Got it. The concept is more interesting than the actual movies. They're ok though. I agree with Larz on the character dev.

It’s Cloverfield dude, it’s a B-movie franchise. The last movie consisted of John Goodman shoving a dude into a tub of acid. Not exactly meant to be taken as King Lear. 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:47 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I had an extended break yesterday and I watched it.  Shockingly cool and slick movie. Very unpredictable and I'm still not 100% sure of what I watched, but perfectly cool with that. Its pace made it very intense and the special effects for a Movie off Netflix were pure silly sauce. Damn thing literally made me fill with angst.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I had an extended break yesterday and I watched it.  Shockingly cool and slick movie. Very unpredictable and I'm still not 100% sure of what I watched, but perfectly cool with that. Its pace made it very intense and the special effects for a Movie off Netflix were pure silly sauce. Damn thing literally made me fill with angst.

The next one is in a WWII setting. If I get to see Clovey eating some Nazis I am going to lose it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s Cloverfield dude, it’s a B-movie franchise. The last movie consisted of John Goodman shoving a dude into a tub of acid. Not exactly meant to be taken as King Lear. 

when they were copying the entire plot from other established films they should have stolen some dialog.

I wasn't surprised to learn the movie started out as an unrelated story, "god particle"

Seems like they just slapped a cloverfield monster at the end and sent it straight to video

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

when they were copying the entire plot from other established films they should have stolen some dialog.

I wasn't surprised to learn the movie started out as an unrelated story, "god particle"

Seems like they just slapped a cloverfield monster at the end and sent it straight to video

You bitch too much.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You bitch too much.

We should do a siskel and Ebert thing

I'm siskel

The 3 cloverfield movies are all in different multi verses 

I think someone might have noticed a creature bigger than the sky in the first movie with the "splash" in the ocean

On 2/14/2018 at 12:37 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

If you want to call this a B Movie franchise then I better see some heads exploding or gtfo. Oh wait. Ok

On 2/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, Larz said:

We should do a siskel and Ebert thing

I'm siskel

The 3 cloverfield movies are all in different multi verses 

I think someone might have noticed a creature bigger than the sky in the first movie with the "splash" in the ocean

At this point I rate movies on whether I hit pause at some point to see how much longer I got until it's over. No grades. Just thumbs up or down if I hit pause.

i agree with Siskel on Cloverfield.

thumbs down

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

At this point I rate movies on whether I hit pause at some point to see how much longer I got until it's over. No grades. Just thumbs up or down if I hit pause.

i agree with Siskel on Cloverfield.

thumbs down

No doubt, it has to grab you. The best movies fly bye. I watched the deer hunter last year for the first time in years and even the infamously long wedding seemed like 5 minutes

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

No doubt, it has to grab you. The best movies fly bye. I watched the deer hunter last year for the first time in years and even the infamously long wedding seemed like 5 minutes

Fanny and Alexander, extended criterion cut, would put half the people I know to sleep in 10 min, but it's one of my favorite movies. Sometimes being pulled into the details makes things more real.

11 hours ago, HessStation said:

Fanny and Alexander, extended criterion cut, would put half the people I know to sleep in 10 min, but it's one of my favorite movies. Sometimes being pulled into the details makes things more real.

I will put that on my list

So I just finished secrets.  I saw the trailer was subtitled,  the version I saw was dubbed.  Took me 20 minutes to get used to that. 

I gotta admit it I didn't love it at first and I'm like,  "crap,  am I really just a Muppet  heckler? "

The 2nd half was much better and the ending really hooked me. 

The sign of good story telling is when you reallly want to find out the secret,  the sign of great story telling is when the secret pays off with a chill. 

Very interesting to see the difference in choices for a German crew picking the 80s music rather than an American 

Nena!!! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I will put that on my list

So I just finished secrets.  I saw the trailer was subtitled,  the version I saw was dubbed.  Took me 20 minutes to get used to that. 

I gotta admit it I didn't love it at first and I'm like,  "crap,  am I really just a Muppet  heckler? "

The 2nd half was much better and the ending really hooked me. 

The sign of good story telling is when you reallly want to find out the secret,  the sign of great story telling is when the secret pays off with a chill. 

Very interesting to see the difference in choices for a German crew picking the 80s music rather than an American 

Nena!!! 

You can change the settings. I first watched w subtitles but then my wife wanted to watch it and preferred the dubbed. I found dubbed easier to follow, maybe bc the speed in which Germans talk...with subtitles it was hard to keep up at times. Anyway I  got used to the dubbed version quickly. You do have allow yourself not to let it bother you.  For me, you eventually fall into the story and stop noticing. 

My best advice is remember everyone's names.

• Upvote 1

Let's try that again. lol 

OK so I just got back from black panther. 

Quick review,  4.5 mjolnir's. They were able to cash all the checks they wrote.  The jokes worked,  the tense scenes worked, the action worked,  the awe scenes were awesome,  the eye candy was sweet. 

I appreciated that the bad guy had depth and complexity. 

I loved that for a franchise movie they had a proper beginning with a back story,  a middle and a resolution and a real ending. 

Too many franchise movies are all middle.  They are just a commercial for the next movie. 

I saw it in IMAX 2D. 

Theater was packed 

Smattering of applause at the end. 

Only negative was it was a little long.  Maybe 2 parts of the movie my mind wandered. 

• Upvote 2