Movies We've Seen Thread

17 hours ago, Larz said:

Let's try that again. lol 

OK so I just got back from black panther. 

Quick review,  4.5 mjolnir's. They were able to cash all the checks they wrote.  The jokes worked,  the tense scenes worked, the action worked,  the awe scenes were awesome,  the eye candy was sweet. 

I appreciated that the bad guy had depth and complexity. 

I loved that for a franchise movie they had a proper beginning with a back story,  a middle and a resolution and a real ending. 

Too many franchise movies are all middle.  They are just a commercial for the next movie. 

I saw it in IMAX 2D. 

Theater was packed 

Smattering of applause at the end. 

Only negative was it was a little long.  Maybe 2 parts of the movie my mind wandered. 

Totally agree.   I rank it probably top 5 in Marvel Movies. (My top 3, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Guardians Volume 1.   After that, depends on the day).

My personal theory, for Marvel addicts like myself, the Soul Stone is buried in the Vibranium Meteor that crashed on earth, and that's part of what gives it all of it's crazy power.

• Upvote 2

There is a very, very amazing indie horror movie called Spring that came out about 3-4 years ago. Won a bunch of sh*t at festivals and has a big cult following, including moi. The dudes who made it have a new horror flick coming out called The Endless, and it is one of the best horror movies I have ever seen. It's not flashy by any measure, but if you enjoy movies that tickle your imagination it will hit you hard. True film making. I cannot recommend it enough.

"IT" was legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life.  I was laughing at how bad it was during the entire movie.  There were times I was so close to shutting it off but just couldnt because I couldnt remember how they beat IT in the original show.  Man, was that a bad decision.  I cant believe anyone thought that was a good movie. 

Saw Black Panther yesterday. There were actually other people in the movie theater, a rare experience for an early Tuesday afternoon at the Alamo Drafthouse. 

It was good but not great for us. It did keep your interest for 2'15" or so which is not easy. CGI was a highlight and it was visually beautiful. Plot was predictable and the writing a bit spotty at times. Acting from a relatively well cast roster was inconsistent from some fairly good performances to some really bad overacting. 

A bonus highlight was a look at Busan, S.Korea. Looked like a great place to visit. 

The ways they portrayed the Wakanda and their society would severely dismay the Maasai tribesmen that some of the costumes were inspired by. That bothered us a bit. 

All in all worth a view. 

An aside:

We saw the preview of Spielberg's next movie, "Ready Player One". Anyone else see this? Not sure of it is going to be a big hit or a big flop. Must have cost a fortune to make so it better sell. Comes out at the end of March. 

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

We saw the preview of Spielberg's next movie, "Ready Player One". Anyone else see this? Not sure of it is going to be a big hit or a big flop. Must have cost a fortune to make so it better sell. Comes out at the end of March. 

If they stick to the book it will be great. It's a great premise and an OK plot, but what makes the book is all the little references and nostalgia. By the previews and the Drew Struzen posters it looks like they made that the priority, and my personal theory is that Spielberg is the only guy who could have secured everything, (considering he directed and/or produced like half the things), so it should work.

The book is fun, moves fast, and doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm hoping Spielberg kept it that way.

• Upvote 1

If you go into Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets only knowing the same director made The Fifth Element, it's just a pleasant and fun movie that looks awesome. There's no Gary Oldman or Chris Tucker or opera singer stealing the show, but that's balanced by no one really sh*tting the bed. The last line about the playlist thing and some minor moments like that are probably fuel for ire, but it didn't bother me. Looks like a cult classic. 

As usual after getting the pleasant surprise of watching a movie that has her in it, Elizabeth Debicki is a superstar. 

That scene in Split where she gets the walkie talkie and the guy on the other end thinks it's a joke is so god damn good and chilling. Awesome movie....M. Night's quietly been killing it with this, Devil, and The Visit, though I am too lazy to note which ones he directed. I imagine these films make more noise if people had the opportunity to talk about how different/better/worse it is from the source material.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Black Panther didn't do it for me. Too much Star Wars,  not enough beating people up. I know nobody else feels that way. I am pretty much the only person alive that doesn't like Star Wars.

The one and only time I ever waited on a line for a movie was for Star Wars #1 when I was a kid.

It gave me a headache. It sucked. I never went to see another SWs movie.

Black Panther was a 7 out of 10 for me. Meh.

15 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The one and only time I ever waited on a line for a movie was for Star Wars #1 when I was a kid.

It gave me a headache. It sucked. I never went to see another SWs movie.

Black Panther was a 7 out of 10 for me. Meh.

Movie is making over a billion dollars though and getting a disney ride. I just am not into the sci fi thing. 

Finally caught Shape of Water. It’s good but, I don’t know, Del Toro has made similar sh*t that’s been way better and didn’t get the Best Picture nod. I find it pretty sad that they chickened out and went with this over Get Out. Shape of Water is a good exercise in tons of things we have seen before, but Get Out was a truly original piece of filmmaking and it deserved it more. Reminds me of when they gave Shakespeare in Love the trophy over Saving Private Ryan.

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Finally caught Shape of Water. It’s good but, I don’t know, Del Toro has made similar sh*t that’s been way better and didn’t get the Best Picture nod. I find it pretty sad that they chickened out and went with this over Get Out. Shape of Water is a good exercise in tons of things we have seen before, but Get Out was a truly original piece of filmmaking and it deserved it more. Reminds me of when they gave Shakespeare in Love the trophy over Saving Private Ryan.

That was one of the last times I watched the awards.    Shakespeare in love was good, but in no way was that best picture of the year.

I finally watched couples retreat.   Pretty funny

FINALLY got to see Colin Quinn's third one man show, The New York Story, and was not disappointed. Turns out it's been on Netflix for a while, took the guy having a heart attack to clue me in. Having seen his live shows before that, I actually think the tapings sell the specials short. Having written and read that, I was just being the assholes who wants to let you know he read the book too.

I would highly recommend seeing his one man shows:

Long Story Short

Unconstitutional

The New York Story

They're all brilliant. The last two are on Netflix right now.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I liked it...but i sorta thought oscar winner was a stretch but whatevs. For people who loved this movie I strongly suggest looking into Jean Pierre Jeunet's movies...Shape of Water almost felt like a tribute to his work with a slice of Terry Gilliam. 

It's a not for everybody type thing but movie's like Amelie and Delicatessen are in the same vein...and then add some (Gilliams) Brazil as a cherry on top. And side note, everybody should watch Jeunet's, City of Lost Children. 

On 3/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Or when Crash won over Munich, Capote or Brokeback Mountain. The other one that alwaysss bothered me, was Joaquin Phoenix losing to anyone in Gladiator. Del Toro was and is always awesome, but damn did I think Phoenix deserved that.