Movies We've Seen Thread

On 12/5/2018 at 5:55 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i enjoyed buster scruggs. def different. favorite scenes was the first one and the one where the old man tries to find gold

Wish they had ended the flick with that one.  The "stagecoach" one was the weakest IMO.  Overall, I enjoyed the vignettes.  But certainly not the Coen Brothers' best effort.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:49 AM, peebag said:

So I was bored last night, turned on Netflix and found this little gem (be forewarned, it's a documentary) but the subject is fascinating:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145046/

German-American Dieter Dengler discusses his service as a U.S. naval pilot in the Viet Nam War. Dengler also revisits the sites of his capture and eventual escape from the hands of the Viet Cong, recreating many events for the camera.

I forget what it’s called, but there’s a movie with Steve Zahn and Christian Bale of this. 

I’ve rewatched John Wick a few times since it’s come out. I think the reason I don’t connect with the character is because he’s so wasteful. He wastes bullets and his martial arts are all over the place, leaving him open to counters. He ruins his suits constantly. Iirc, this movie came out at the same time as the classic film The Raid: Redemption and everything in that film is super-economical. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve rewatched John Wick a few times since it’s come out. I think the reason I don’t connect with the character is because he’s so wasteful. He wastes bullets and his martial arts are all over the place, leaving him open to counters. He ruins his suits constantly. Iirc, this movie came out at the same time as the classic film The Raid: Redemption and everything in that film is super-economical. 

Tom's critiquing martial arts now. Mm hmm.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Tom's critiquing martial arts now. Mm hmm.

The scene where he goes after Reek in the bathhouse and he pins a guy’s head to a countertop and shoots him twice—TWICE—at point blank range through the temple. I mean, come on. One bullet would do there, especially when you know there are a hundred more guys you’ve gotta shoot.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The scene where he goes after Reek in the bathhouse and he pins a guy’s head to a countertop and shoots him twice—TWICE—at point blank range through the temple. I mean, come on. One bullet would do there, especially when you know there are a hundred more guys you’ve gotta shoot.

AND WHAT'S UP WITH SECRET GOLD COINS AS CURRENCY IN AN UNDERGROUND HOTEL, LIKE HIPSTERS WOULDN'T YELP ABOUT THAT IMMEDIATELY

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

AND WHAT'S UP WITH SECRET GOLD COINS AS CURRENCY IN AN UNDERGROUND HOTEL, LIKE HIPSTERS WOULDN'T YELP ABOUT THAT IMMEDIATELY

You can see why hardcore assassins would form their own currency, silly. I’m just saying. If I was a hardcore assassin, I’m not gonna be messy and wasteful like Reeves. I’m gonna be tight. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You can see why hardcore assassins would form their own currency, silly. I’m just saying. If I was a hardcore assassin, I’m not gonna be messy and wasteful like Reeves. I’m gonna be tight. 

Here's the funny part: The judo and jiu jitsu community has consistently praised the John Wick movies as being incredibly realistic and efficient in their application of the arts. Reeves has been training under Rigan Machado for years. You literally could not be more wrong about this.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Here's the funny part: The judo and jiu jitsu community has consistently praised the John Wick movies as being incredibly realistic and efficient in their application of the arts. Reeves has been training under Rigan Machado for years. You literally could not be more wrong about this.

Ah. I see the disagreement. I’m aware that actual IRL combat is messy and inelegant and, particularly as matches progress and the combatants tire, it gets sloppy. I’m referring to the viewing of John Wick as an action movie where the (my) expectation is unrealistic, balletic Jet Li/Chow Yun Fat action. It’s an aesthetic thing, I guess. 

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also, regarding The Raid; The reason Mad Dog is such a beast is because nobody thinks to shoot a double leg on him and Rama has no jiu jitsu whatsoever. And that's the difference between The Raid and John Wick.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Ah. I see the disagreement. I’m aware that actual IRL combat is messy and inelegant and, particularly as matches progress and the combatants tire, it gets sloppy. I’m referring to the viewing of John Wick as an action movie where the (my) expectation is unrealistic, balletic Jet Li/Chow Yun Fat action. It’s an aesthetic thing, I guess. 

Well, that's dumb.

On 6/24/2011 at 10:51 AM, slats said:

I saw Tree of Life, and I'd like to see it again. There's a lot to take in. My son was with me, and he hated it. There were people grumbling in the theater, "I hope it's finally over." Definitely not for everyone.

Rumor has it that the director's interested in making a 6 hour director's cut version. :blink:

In the meantime, I plan on checking out other Terrance Malick flicks. The Thin Red Line and New World are available streaming on Netflix, I believe.

The Thin Red Line is endless.  Or at least it seems so.  But it has some memorable scenes.

59 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bumblebee, a spinoff movie from a 5-film Michael Bay series, has a 96 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Yea, everything you read about it lauds it. Apparently the director and writer did everything to hit on all the 80's nostalgia feels, while also observing basic movie-making things like story and characters.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, everything you read about it lauds it. Apparently the director and writer did everything to hit on all the 80's nostalgia feels, while also observing basic movie-making things like story and characters.

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

My brother in law saw it.  He said it was really good.

I'll buy it, even probably go see since it's a feel-good homage to Spielberg, but it's pretty hilarious that what finally made a Michael Bay/Mark Wahlberg-driven franchise finally work was keeping both of those guys as far away as possible from the movie.

• Upvote 1

Also, I have a friend that worked on the new Spiderman flick, Enter the Spiderverse. Was kind enough to invite me to a screening. I think it's clearly the best Spidey movie ever done and legitimately might be the best animated superhero film ever. Go see it in the theater, it's trippy as hell. Completely appropriate for kids too.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'll buy it, even probably go see since it's a feel-good homage to Spielberg, but it's pretty hilarious that what finally made a Michael Bay/Mark Wahlberg-driven franchise finally work was keeping both of those guys as far away as possible from the movie.

Bay makes absolutely crap movies, and they all make massive profits, so he could care less..  They make sequels, sell toys.   He wanted to make the TMNT be from outer space. 

My chick made me watch the movie Hereditary last night.  It was like a weird drama done well mixed in with a really really stupid horror movie, like the dumbest horror movie ever made stupid. 

Full on eye roll, why did I just waste all that time at the end.  So dumb.  Dumbest ending to a movie maybe ever.