Movies We've Seen Thread

On 12/17/2018 at 1:15 PM, JiF said:

My chick made me watch the movie Hereditary last night.  It was like a weird drama done well mixed in with a really really stupid horror movie, like the dumbest horror movie ever made stupid. 

Full on eye roll, why did I just waste all that time at the end.  So dumb.  Dumbest ending to a movie maybe ever. 

Couldn't disagree more. Hereditary is the best horror movie in years and the ending is batsh*t crazy. I loved it.

• Upvote 2

On 12/11/2018 at 2:57 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Also, I have a friend that worked on the new Spiderman flick, Enter the Spiderverse. Was kind enough to invite me to a screening. I think it's clearly the best Spidey movie ever done and legitimately might be the best animated superhero film ever. Go see it in the theater, it's trippy as hell. Completely appropriate for kids too.

Saw it today, i liked it.

The animation was different, but it worked.  I had to sit a bit too close to the screen, but it was very good.

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching (again) my favorite movie of all time and am wondering if I'm the only one

Crossroads starring Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca

What could be better?

A movie about blues music written by an actual bluesman

Steve Vai cutting heads with Ry Cooder

Sonny Terry on harp

Robert Johnson's crossroad on Hwy 61 in Mississippi

Tim Russ (Tuvoc on Voyager) playing the role of Johnson

"I'm the bluesman he's from Long Island"

"Lots of towns... Lots of songs... Lots of women... Good times... Bad times... Only thing I wanted anyone to say is... 'He could really play... He was good "

"Muddy Waters invented electricity" 

Brings a tear to my eye every time

Anyone else diggit?

• Upvote 1

On December 24, 2018 at 10:59 PM, The Crimson King said:

Just finished watching (again) my favorite movie of all time and am wondering if I'm the only one

Crossroads starring Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca

What could be better?

A movie about blues music written by an actual bluesman

Steve Vai cutting heads with Ry Cooder

Sonny Terry on harp

Robert Johnson's crossroad on Hwy 61 in Mississippi

Tim Russ (Tuvoc on Voyager) playing the role of Johnson

"I'm the bluesman he's from Long Island"

"Lots of towns... Lots of songs... Lots of women... Good times... Bad times... Only thing I wanted anyone to say is... 'He could really play... He was good "

"Muddy Waters invented electricity" 

Brings a tear to my eye every time

Anyone else diggit?

Hadn't seen it in a long time ... But def loved it

was cool how Vai is shaking his guitar all around & yanking that whammy-bar like a madman  ... Hitting all his high notes ... Then Macchio uses the slide to reach the same notes

awesome head-bangers dual

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2018 at 4:05 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Mandy is everything I have ever wanted a movie to be. Violent is an understatement. It's so relentless and over-the-top and legit stunning. I have no doubt that people are going to be watching this one decades from now. ******* classic.

And kudos to Nic Cage for embracing his inner meme and going totally off the rails one more time for the audiences. Holy hell. I give his performance and the entire flick 10 out of 10 shrooms.

Never even heard of this. Just saw the trailer and it looks evil! Love Nicholas Cage! Will see it soon. 

On 11/16/2018 at 10:25 PM, T0mShane said:

I saw The Sisters Brothers with John C Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, and Jake Gyllenhall. It was long and somewhat campy, but if you have a brother who is an outright ****up, it’ll hit home. The performances were very, very good. 

Was so so. Reilly was outstanding though.  Not a big fan of his but he impressed me. 

Saw a twilight zone the other night with Donald Pleasence as a teacher. Another actor I’ve never really cared for. But he was outstanding in the role. I was stunned ? 

On 6/6/2018 at 11:52 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Upgrade stars discount Tom Hardy...

Tom Hardy in Legend is fckn awesome. He plays both roles of twin brothers who were notorious  gangsters in 60’s UK. If you haven’t seen this make it a point to be the next movie you watch.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/27/2018 at 12:38 AM, BigO said:

Dracula with Bela Lugosi

Meh

I respect the fact that it’s the granddaddy of the horror genre, but it’s not even remotely scary and it’s almost like watching a filmed broadway play minus the singing and dancing.

Out of all of the Universal monster movies, The Creature From The Black Lagoon is the only one I can still watch without being bored to tears.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Meh

I respect the fact that it’s the granddaddy of the horror genre, but it’s not even remotely scary and it’s almost like watching a filmed broadway play minus the singing and dancing.

Out of all of the Universal monster movies, The Creature From The Black Lagoon is the only one I can still watch without being bored to tears.

Nosferatu is better. Way better. Count Orlock scares the sh*t out of my kids.....heh heh heh

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bandersnatch is wild. It's not perfect but holy crap, kudos to the Black Mirror crew for putting themselves out there and trying something extraordinarily different. I'd love to have some sort of experience like that in a theater but I have no idea how it would work.

I got the lamest ending first try. It went from mind blowing to like a halo combat evolved mission where you don't know where to go. 

It took 2 years to do, if they can cut that down I could see it becoming really popular. 

I hate being around 200 people just because they are so rude and inconsiderate, trying to agree on sugar pops or frosted flakes would trigger a riot lol

I'll probably give it more viewings to try to get all 5 endings, which is so genius, that thing will get huge viewership 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I got the lamest ending first try. It went from mind blowing to like a halo combat evolved mission where you don't know where to go. 

It took 2 years to do, if they can cut that down I could see it becoming really popular. 

I hate being around 200 people just because they are so rude and inconsiderate, trying to agree on sugar pops or frosted flakes would trigger a riot lol

I'll probably give it more viewings to try to get all 5 endings, which is so genius, that thing will get huge viewership 

You were supposed to get the lame ending first. That's the point. The characters become self-aware as you become self-aware.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Everyone is going crazy about that Bird Box movie with Sandra Bullock in it. 

It's good, but it suffers from the inevitable comparisons to A Quiet Place that are totally out of its control, not to mention the book for Birdbox was written first.

That said, they should have decontextualized the plot a little bit. They spend so much time explaining details through flashbacks that the storytelling comes across as lazy. Worth noting that's how it's done in the book, but not everything that works in a book works for a movie and vice versa. They clearly could have scaled back the script and even the effects a little bit and it would have gone a long way because Sandra Bullock really kills it and elevates the suspense for all the present tense stuff.

They also made no effort to distinguish it stylistically from AQP either, so at least for me it comes across like a disingenuous effort to capitalize on that movie's success. It looks and feels like the same movie with not being able to use one of your senses kind of being treated as a MacGuffin. I don't think any of this was intentional, but they also should have known better.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You were supposed to get the lame ending first. That's the point. The characters become self-aware as you become self-aware.

I noticed that but I've looked into the choices we made and there are 3 major branches that lead to very different endings. 

Accept and follow colin for example 

There are a trillion variations. 

Not sure I have time for that but maybe 10 

15 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Everyone is going crazy about that Bird Box movie with Sandra Bullock in it. 

Watched it the other night with my family. Probably the most non-horror filled horror flick I've ever seen.  Completely preposterous concept (Yeah, little kids and Sandy B. walking around the forest, or navigating a river, blindfolded), too long, and flat out boring in spots.  Almost like they cobbled together a few weak stories to create one large disaster.  

Found “The Proposition” with Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone on Prime last night. I had forgotten how much I liked it when I first saw it, and loved it even more almost 15 years later. I also had no idea it was written by Nick Cave. Winstone is particularly great, but John Hurt and Danny Huston steal every scene they’re in. 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:41 AM, munchmemory said:

Watched it the other night with my family. Probably the most non-horror filled horror flick I've ever seen.  Completely preposterous concept (Yeah, little kids and Sandy B. walking around the forest, or navigating a river, blindfolded), too long, and flat out boring in spots.  Almost like they cobbled together a few weak stories to create one large disaster.  

The first 15 minutes were pretty cool and then it just went to crap. 

Ending was so bad 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Found “The Proposition” with Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone on Prime last night. I had forgotten how much I liked it when I first saw it, and loved it even more almost 15 years later. I also had no idea it was written by Nick Cave. Winstone is particularly great, but John Hurt and Danny Huston steal every scene they’re in. 

I'm gonna call bullsh*t on this one on account of you claiming to like a movie.

13 hours ago, Larz said:

The first 15 minutes were pretty cool and then it just went to crap. 

Ending was so bad 

Exactly.  Opening was totally insane and captivating.  Then it became the dull/stupid movie that wouldn't end.  I love how they even tried to throw in a romantic moment between sandy and the male protagonist at the last minute.  So amateurishly done.  Unlike A Quiet Place which was done so well and plausible.

• Upvote 1