Movies We've Seen Thread

On 1/11/2020 at 1:32 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

1917 is just masterful filmmaking. It’s unlike anything ever done in the war genre. Mendes focuses almost exclusively on the little horrors of war; the endless bodies, the muck, rats, and maiming. He takes a simple plot and almost completely decontextualizes the war in order to get this point across. I was so moved by the whole thing, from the way it’s shot to the ending, and Mendes and Co deserve all of the accolades they get for nailing such a massive venture. A+

Saw this this afternoon. A++++++.  Amazing job all around, like something that should be studied in film school.

I'm still affected by it. It is like being in WWI for two hours. This better win at least something in the Academy Awards. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Saw this this afternoon. A++++++.  Amazing job all around, like something that should be studied in film school.

I'm still affected by it. It is like being in WWI for two hours. This better win at least something in the Academy Awards. 

I dunno, the lineup this year makes me realize how dumb awards shows are. How do you even begin to compare Parasite to 1917 to Joker? The whole concept is preposterous. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Saw 1917 today. Still decompressing. Taking my Dad to see it  even though I know he'll cry. Revenge for taking me to see Gallipoli when I was 10.

In all seriousness,  literally a perfect movie. 

I also just got back.

Amazing.

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:32 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

1917 is just masterful filmmaking. It’s unlike anything ever done in the war genre. Mendes focuses almost exclusively on the little horrors of war; the endless bodies, the muck, rats, and maiming. He takes a simple plot and almost completely decontextualizes the war in order to get this point across. I was so moved by the whole thing, from the way it’s shot to the ending, and Mendes and Co deserve all of the accolades they get for nailing such a massive venture. A+

Did you ever see the documentary "they shall not grow old"?

Peter Jackson found and remastered all original WW 1 footage, and mixed it with original WW 1 interviews with the actual soldiers.  It's a documentary, not a movie, but really well done.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

Did you ever see the documentary "they shall not grow old"?

Peter Jackson found and remastered all original WW 1 footage, and mixed it with original WW 1 interviews with the actual soldiers.  It's a documentary, not a movie, but really well done.

I've seen it several times. Brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, Ruby2 said:

The Irishman sucked. Its well past time to stop pretending Scorsessee still makes anything noteworthy or exceptional at this stage of his career.

Parasite is the best movie ive seen in quite a long time. Wow.

I saw Parasite yesterday.  Definitely the craziest birthday party scene ever.  That was crazy and inventive.  I don't know about the best but its definitely interesting, different and brilliant.

I saw the Irishman in a movie theatre.  I enjoyed it and thought it was a great film.  It's slow and long.  If I watched it at home I wouldn't have sat through it.  For me watching movies on the big screen puts me in a mind set to not be distracted and let it happen.  If I'm watching at home and get at all board there's too many distractions to focus.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

For me watching movies on the big screen puts me in a mind set to not be distracted and let it happen.  If I'm watching at home and get at all board there's too many distractions to focus.  

I will 100% agree with that.

If I'm in the theater, as soon as I sit down, my phone is off, and I'm ready to watch, previews, stupid before the preview commercials, movie, anything they put on the screen.   If I'm at home, the dog is there, the kids are there, I may fall asleep on my couch, if I'm bored, I'll check what's going on in the world with my phone.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, HessStation said:

Hereditary and Midsommar are both awesome. Same director, dude is good

Midsommar is so well filmed but also so bizarre that I'm not so sure I could sit through it again. I will say this though; that is the most accurate portrayal of psychedelics that you'll ever see on a screen. When she looked down and the grass was growing out of her feet, I said "yup that's about right."

23 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Midsommar is so well filmed but also so bizarre that I'm not so sure I could sit through it again. I will say this though; that is the most accurate portrayal of psychedelics that you'll ever see on a screen. When she looked down and the grass was growing out of her feet, I said "yup that's about right."

LOL, my brother in law was the one who told me about it and literally said, you have to see it if just for the trip scene alone, it’s the best trip portrayal of any movie I’ve ever seen. 

and it really is. I don’t really watch movies multiple times but read after, there’s a bunch of great visual subliminal messages in the background throughout the movie, in the trees etc etc. 

im wondering if the dir is going for a loosely based trilogy type of theme, like three colours, or something. 

these first two Films are so satisfyingly different in plot but with such stark similarities in narration and stuff 

Heads up on a short run ,,, literally

The 5 films nominated for the best short film Oscar show in some theaters this week in compilation.

There are two versions, one for film and one for animation (two separate awards). They both run about the length of a full movies. Looks like rain later in the week so we should get in both. You will leave the theater with a solid opinion on which should win. Sometimes they do win and sometimes, like last year you wonder what idiots do the voting.

Very highly recommended 

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:41 AM, The Crimson King said:

Parasite was also very very good, but this year seems pre-setup for Joker. This is a comic book world now. 

I think gun to head I would take Parasite, for two reasons: First Bong Joon-ho may be the best in the world right now and every time people hail a release of his as him hitting his peak, he outdoes himself on the next one. The only reason he doesn't get mentioned with some of the other current greats in the U.S. is because he's a Korean making predominantly Korean films, and Americans overall still have an inability to pay attention to just how amazing Korean cinema has been the past 20 years. Giving the award to Parasite would be a much overdue recognition for not only Bong but also the entire country.

Second I would say 1917 is an original and stunning way of making a movie, but overall it's not something that completely breaks down barriers and challenges things the way Parasite does. Mendes probably deserves Best Director and Phoenix Best Actor for sure, but I am never going to forget the first time I watched Parasite and I can only say that about a very small handful of movies in my life.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2020 at 1:30 AM, ljr said:

Lucas ruined it himself with the travesty known as Episode 1

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah, the Prequels sucked for the most part, but in those 3 movies is a pretty badass Kenobi backstory movie. 

That being said, as bad as TPM was, it still has a scene that is iconic and epic. Disney SW was embarrassing, straight trash, homie.

This is better than anything in the 2 DSW movies I watched  (I quit after The Last Jedi travesty).

https://youtu.be/9Uvad9uSc9k

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, the Prequels sucked for the most part, but in those 3 movies is a pretty badass Kenobi backstory movie. 

That being said, as bad as TPM was, it still has a scene that is iconic and epic. Disney SW was embarrassing, straight trash, homie.

This is better than anything in the 2 DSW movies I watched  (I quit after The Last Jedi travesty).

https://youtu.be/9Uvad9uSc9k

That just p*ssed me off even more  ... they had such potential with that ... he could have been such a bad-*$$ ... instead Lucas the idiot has him just killed off  ... and that fight scene also had great potential but he  butchered it as well ... obi-wan twice falling off the platform and then jumping back up like it was nothing ... but the 2nd time he's hanging down 10 feet and unable to do anything .. miraculously he can jump up again when he has the light-saber.  Then the red-door sequence  ... Darth Maul wasn't going anywhere ... why the F would the Liam Niessen character go fight him alone when he & Obi-wan together couldn't get him ... wait 30 seconds for the red-doors to open again.  Such a F'in shame ... such potential to be a truly great moment.

F'in Lucas stole my childhood from me that day ...  that d**shbag!

I'm glad you were able to appreciate it enough though that your feeling were not as negative as my own.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:52 PM, The Crimson King said:

Heads up on a short run ,,, literally

The 5 films nominated for the best short film Oscar show in some theaters this week in compilation.

There are two versions, one for film and one for animation (two separate awards). They both run about the length of a full movies. Looks like rain later in the week so we should get in both. You will leave the theater with a solid opinion on which should win. Sometimes they do win and sometimes, like last year you wonder what idiots do the voting.

Very highly recommended 

Saw the live action shorts tonight in Pleasantville. (FWIW, everything was in color). It had one that was excellent and four "OK" offerings. All in all, not as good as the last couple of years, but it was worth going to for the one (bring handkerchiefs) 

Animation shorts tomorrow. Hoping for better offerings. This theater also had the Documentary shorts so maybe movies three days in a row this week. These disappear from the theaters fast so if you like film ...

Usually we see these with only a couple of other people at the Alamo but this was at the Burns, a true twinkle ding-dong type crowd so the theater was packed. Of course all these people know more, have more and understand film better than us. Yeesh.  

Finally watched Parasite.  Felt it did not live up to the hype.  It's a good movie in spots but suffers from just really awkward parts in the flick.  As one example, the "birthday party" scene takes a really bizarre/cartoonish turn and becomes a hack job version of what Tarantino did in Kill Bill II's restaurant scene.   Again, nice movie but IMO no way should be a best picture nominee.

I seen The Irishman, Parasite and The Joker. Was going to watch Once upon a Time in Hollywood but didn't get to it yet. I really want to see 1917 since I am a War Movie buff.   But between the three I watched they were all great. The Joker is the most incredible performance in film and this may just be the movie. His Performance.  The Irishman has my two favorite actors in it with Pacino and De Niro. And I love Mob movies.  But Parasite is what really got me. The film making was incredible as were the performances.  For me Parasite takes it for me.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, The Crimson King said:

Both great movies, both deservingly nominated for Best Picture and neither will win because people just are not that deep

Another great prediction :). I am much better at predicting stuff after it happens. 

Still thought that 1917 deserved it over Parasite. 

They got the live short Oscar exactly right but the animated short award was so ridiculous that it taints the awards as nugatory. 

An aside, when did Elton John get so fat? The person who made his suit must have been the same guy that made the one Willie Colon wore on SNY