Movies We've Seen Thread

Green Lantern was a smelly ******* turd. And it's really disappointing because Green Lantern is by far one of the coolest and most original comic book story lines out there. Really don't get why studios are ignoring the Nolan model and still sticking with the Daredevil/Fantastic Four scheme. Especially considering they're supposed to be making this one into a trilogy. Getting to look at Blake Lively for 2 hours wasn't so bad though.

Look on the bright side, when the green lantern is laying down on his side, his logo is LOL. ;)

Green Lantern was a smelly ******* turd. And it's really disappointing because Green Lantern is by far one of the coolest and most original comic book story lines out there. Really don't get why studios are ignoring the Nolan model and still sticking with the Daredevil/Fantastic Four scheme. Especially considering they're supposed to be making this one into a trilogy. Getting to look at Blake Lively for 2 hours wasn't so bad though.

Seriously. They have the template already for what works and what doesn't, yet they opt to go the Happy Meal merchandising route. GL had no shot whatsoever. At least it looks like they're going dark with the Captain America series. Can't go wrong with demonizing Nazis.

I saw X-Men: first Class yesterday.. I really enjoyed it. Of course it is like all good vs. evil superheroes movies...

so i guess it is just a vapid movie..

or maybe it is just me enjoying movies with obvious plot lines. :)

Seriously. They have the template already for what works and what doesn't, yet they opt to go the Happy Meal merchandising route. GL had no shot whatsoever. At least it looks like they're going dark with the Captain America series. Can't go wrong with demonizing Nazis.

Yes, they're keeping it really edgey with the merchandising for Captain America:

62750387.jpg

Transformers getting leveled by reviews. Shocking to find out Shia LeBouf is in a bad movie.

Doesn't look like anything good is coming out this weekend. I might see Midnight in Paris just 'cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you end up seeing it? The more I think about it, the less I liked it. All kinds of cloying.

I did.

I found it funny to watch Owen Wilson being directed to act exactly like Woody Allen, but otherwise thought the 90 minute film dragged. The happy just live your life ending was also way too American for a movie that seemed to hate most of what being American is.

I liked the way they depicted Hemingway, and I like the actress who played Zelda. I usually like Kathy Bates, but I can't decide what I thought of her in this.

Overall, I'd probably generously give it 2 1/2 stars for a couple laughs, good cast, and a fun premise, but cloying also works as an adjective to describe it.

I did.

I found it funny to watch Owen Wilson being directed to act exactly like Woody Allen, but otherwise thought the 90 minute film dragged. The happy just live your life ending was also way too American for a movie that seemed to hate most of what being American is.

I liked the way they depicted Hemingway, and I like the actress who played Zelda. I usually like Kathy Bates, but I can't decide what I thought of her in this.

Overall, I'd probably generously give it 2 1/2 stars for a couple laughs, good cast, and a fun premise, but cloying also works as an adjective to describe it.

Agree on most of this. I also have a hard time seein Marion Cotillard as a sex symbol. She's creepy.

Transformers getting leveled by reviews. Shocking to find out Shia LeBouf is in a bad movie.

It actually wasn't that horrible, the problem was just the length. It's almost 3 hours and it certainly feels like it. You can't stretch a movie that long unless you're going for shock and awe, or the plot enables it. It's the 3rd flick in the series and it's Michael effing Bay, so obviously this wasn't going to have either. The suckiest part about that is that by the time some of the great action hits, you're already like 1:45 deep into the movie and a little worn out already, which is a shame. Because some of the action scenes were (as expected), incredible. The fight choreography...no clue who did it, but the Kung Fu (which is the main reason why I've always liked watching the series) is probably at its best in this installment.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Thought we should have a thread to share our reviews of movies we're seeing to help us avoid watching Ryan Reynolds and/or Julia Roberts movies.

laugh.gif

OK OK...I hear ya

FYI, Midnight in Paris was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SouthernJet

It actually wasn't that horrible, the problem was just the length. It's almost 3 hours and it certainly feels like it. You can't stretch a movie that long unless you're going for shock and awe, or the plot enables it. It's the 3rd flick in the series and it's Michael effing Bay, so obviously this wasn't going to have either. The suckiest part about that is that by the time some of the great action hits, you're already like 1:45 deep into the movie and a little worn out already, which is a shame. Because some of the action scenes were (as expected), incredible. The fight choreography...no clue who did it, but the Kung Fu (which is the main reason why I've always liked watching the series) is probably at its best in this installment.

Whoa. Didn't expect this. I'll check it out when it hits DVD.

Bah!

Well it should be noted that to ENJOY the movie one would have to know who the great characters of the past were that are featured. If ones literary knowledge was isolated to DC Comics then one might not understand the texture of Midnight in Paris wink.gif

Since these have been out awhile, quick oneliners for:

Midnight in Paris: 4/5 stars. Whimsical RomCom that steps outside the formula RomCom box

Bridesmaids: 4/5 stars. Hangover1 for chicks. Funny.

Larry Crowne: 2/5 stars. Watered down RomCom that didnt boil.

Bad Teacher: 3/5 stars. Actually I liked better than national reviews. Had a rough edge that Diaz pulled off.

Green Lantern: 2/5 stars. Sorry ,Reynolds was unable to convince me, and the script blew.

Hangover2: 2/5 stars. Fail.

Pirates of Caribbean: 2/5 stars. See above.

Jump the Broom: 3/5 stars, Decent family wedding RomCom that holds your attention.

Incendies: 5/5 stars. French flick about Lebanon war and its human impact. Like a punch in the gut.

The Trip: 3/5 stars. I think tad overrated by most reviewers. Comedy has its moments but endless patter bored me after awhile.

Buck: 4/5 stars. Documentary on the cowboy who was Horse Whisperer. Great flick.

Tree of Life: 1/5 stars. OK, I get its mystical meaning, but Lord I was freakin bored!!!!

XMen: 4/5 stars. Redeemed itself after last one. Great cast also.

Everything Must Go: 3/5 stars. Decent dark comedy form Will Farrel. Not bad.

Onyl ones I saw were "Super 8" and Homage or not I was bored with it -- good for a family flick though.

Larry Crowne was OK for a date night flick but afterwards I just thought it was slapped together real fast --

Edited by slowmoe57

Caught Horrible Bosses today and liked it a lot better than I thought I would. A lot of chuckles and some genuine full grown laughs. Fans of Always Sunny In Philadelphia will love Charlie Day in this. He's basically the same character you're used to, but he probably fits even better in this film than he does in the show. Seriously. The scene where he's singing in the car by himself had people (me included) laughing thru the next scene in the film. Really brilliant job on his part. I suspect he's gonna get a lot more film work from this movie. He stole it.

Whoa. Didn't expect this. I'll check it out when it hits DVD.

You can honestly skip right to the car chase scene and probably figure it out from there. Decepticon takeover, Autobots need to destroy animate object to prevent...aaaand go. Save yourself the first hour at least and it'll probably come off as pretty awesome.

Caught Horrible Bosses today and liked it a lot better than I thought I would. A lot of chuckles and some genuine full grown laughs. Fans of Always Sunny In Philadelphia will love Charlie Day in this. He's basically the same character you're used to, but he probably fits even better in this film than he does in the show. Seriously. The scene where he's singing in the car by himself had people (me included) laughing thru the next scene in the film. Really brilliant job on his part. I suspect he's gonna get a lot more film work from this movie. He stole it.

I'd like to bend her over a barrel and show her the 50 states.

Day did a good job. I always thought he was a Bobcat Goldthwaite dialed down about 15 notches (which is a good thing laugh.gif)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm using 10 stars, doesn't seem like 5 gives me enough range.

The American 7/10 - George Clooney in a Euro-Spy thing. It was well crafted, and well shot, but without Clooney woulda been booooring. And using on my mental list of standard plot 'themes', I'd accurately guessed who lives and who dies 5 minutes into the movie.

Unknown 7/10 - Liam Neeson in a cool movie. Worth watching. It's plot is nearly identical to another adventure movie you've seen, but you won't know that until the end. ..and if I tell you it'll ruin a twist that I hadn't seen coming.

Edited by JerryK

• 2 weeks later...