T0mShane

Movies We've Seen Thread

Sorry, I'm using 10 stars, doesn't seem like 5 gives me enough range.

The American 7/10 - George Clooney in a Euro-Spy thing. It was well crafted, and well shot, but without Clooney woulda been booooring. And using on my mental list of standard plot 'themes', I'd accurately guessed who lives and who dies 5 minutes into the movie.

Unknown 7/10 - Liam Neeson in a cool movie. Worth watching. It's plot is nearly identical to another adventure movie you've seen, but you won't know that until the end. ..and if I tell you it'll ruin a twist that I hadn't seen coming.

Edited by JerryK

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

I am on a movie tear...going with the kids so my selections have been limited. But this week I saw Rise of the Apes and that Aliens vs Cowboys flicks (which had Indians mixed in)...

I am on a movie tear...going with the kids so my selections have been limited. But this week I saw Rise of the Apes and that Aliens vs Cowboys flicks (which had Indians mixed in)...

Thanks for the reviews!

Apes - really good.

The other movie was okay.

You are welcome.

Actually I've seen both, too. Nothing to add.

Thinking about seeing Another Earth today.

Saw The Guard today. Might be the best movie I've seen this year. If you like gritty, real life crime drama combined with black comedy belly laughs, you'll feel the same way.

the-guard-movie-poster-2011-1020708625.jpg

Saw The Guard today. Might be the best movie I've seen this year. If you like gritty, real life crime drama combined with black comedy belly laughs, you'll feel the same way.

the-guard-movie-poster-2011-1020708625.jpg

Don Cheadle and the guy who always dies? I could see this being good.

Don Cheadle and the guy who always dies? I could see this being good.

Brendan Gleeson is awesome. If you liked him in In Bruges, you'll love him in this. Understated and hilarious all at once.

Brendan Gleeson is awesome. If you liked him in In Bruges, you'll love him in this. Understated and hilarious all at once.

Definitely one of the better supporting/role actors out there, and it seems like everything he's done is solid to great. I'm watching Lake Placid right now. I don't think he dies.

Edited by SenorGato

Definitely one of the better supporting/role actors out there, and it seems like everything he's done is solid to great. I'm watching Lake Placid right now. I don't think he dies.

I was just going to post that too. Watched that movie for the first time last night. He tried his damndest to get eaten but couldn't pull it off.

Had a chance to watch The Town again. It's sneakily almost a classic. The rewatchability on it is through the roof. Solid plot. Great cast (even the cameos are awesome. Blake Lively making sex noises, Chris Cooper, Kobayashi from The Usual Suspects). Affleck kills it from the director's chair. Good amount of unintentional comedy. Bad a$$ car chase. Renner delivers what's a classic performance, ("If we get jammed up, we're holding court in the street."). The "I need your help" scene is already going down as an all-timer. It's similar to Heat but not too similar because it doesn't come off like it's jocking. On top of that I've heard people still either talking about it or quoting it out at the bars here and there. Passes all the smell tests me thinks. One of those flicks I think mostly everyone's going to be watching whenever it's on TV forever.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Had a chance to watch The Town again. It's sneakily almost a classic. The rewatchability on it is through the roof. Solid plot. Great cast (even the cameos are awesome. Blake Lively making sex noises, Chris Cooper, Kobayashi from The Usual Suspects). Affleck kills it from the director's chair. Good amount of unintentional comedy. Bad a$$ car chase. Renner delivers what's a classic performance, ("If we get jammed up, we're holding court in the street."). The "I need your help" scene is already going down as an all-timer. It's similar to Heat but not too similar because it doesn't come off like it's jocking. On top of that I've heard people still either talking about it or quoting it out at the bars here and there. Passes all the smell tests me thinks. One of those flicks I think mostly everyone's going to be watching whenever it's on TV forever.

Totally agreed. Renner is a f*cking rock star, especially in that movie. Only issue for me was that Rebecca Hall kinda dragged through it, though she's generally a good actress. As for Affleck, I thought Gone Baby Gone was brilliant, too. Dude's probably the next Clint Eastwood as a director.

Also watched No Country For Old Men (again) on TV the other day. The dialogue in that movie is so nuanced and, in the hands of the Coen Bros, that movie is amazing. I'm still not sure why they chose not to include why Tommy Lee Jones' character is so f'ed up though (which is covered in the book). Seemed like a pretty significant part of the character in the novel.

Totally agreed. Renner is a f*cking rock star, especially in that movie. Only issue for me was that Rebecca Hall kinda dragged through it, though she's generally a good actress. As for Affleck, I thought Gone Baby Gone was brilliant, too. Dude's probably the next Clint Eastwood as a director.

Plus he was the bomb in Phantoms.

Just saw "Attack The Block," which is being advertised as a Shaun of the Dead with aliens instead of zombies. It's not. Sucked. Like a really advanced film school production with a script written by uninspired 17 year olds.

Just saw "Attack The Block," which is being advertised as a Shaun of the Dead with aliens instead of zombies. It's not. Sucked. Like a really advanced film school production with a script written by uninspired 17 year olds.

I didn't know what that was. I thought it was a dance movie or something. Lol!

Both very good for the tween flicks IMHO Phillip.

Capt America is a good one for the Tweens also

really??? sh*t, I had hopes for that. Thanks for heads up..

By the way, if You want DIFFERENT try 'TrollHunters'..I like flicks that make a attempt at being different..Try it..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trollhunter/

l

He starred in a very good movie about a Dublin crime boss called "The General". Also has a nice turn by Jon VOight as the the detective who chases him.