Movies We've Seen Thread

Brendan Gleeson is awesome. If you liked him in In Bruges, you'll love him in this. Understated and hilarious all at once.

Definitely one of the better supporting/role actors out there, and it seems like everything he's done is solid to great. I'm watching Lake Placid right now. I don't think he dies.

Edited by SenorGato

Definitely one of the better supporting/role actors out there, and it seems like everything he's done is solid to great. I'm watching Lake Placid right now. I don't think he dies.

I was just going to post that too. Watched that movie for the first time last night. He tried his damndest to get eaten but couldn't pull it off.

Had a chance to watch The Town again. It's sneakily almost a classic. The rewatchability on it is through the roof. Solid plot. Great cast (even the cameos are awesome. Blake Lively making sex noises, Chris Cooper, Kobayashi from The Usual Suspects). Affleck kills it from the director's chair. Good amount of unintentional comedy. Bad a$$ car chase. Renner delivers what's a classic performance, ("If we get jammed up, we're holding court in the street."). The "I need your help" scene is already going down as an all-timer. It's similar to Heat but not too similar because it doesn't come off like it's jocking. On top of that I've heard people still either talking about it or quoting it out at the bars here and there. Passes all the smell tests me thinks. One of those flicks I think mostly everyone's going to be watching whenever it's on TV forever.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Had a chance to watch The Town again. It's sneakily almost a classic. The rewatchability on it is through the roof. Solid plot. Great cast (even the cameos are awesome. Blake Lively making sex noises, Chris Cooper, Kobayashi from The Usual Suspects). Affleck kills it from the director's chair. Good amount of unintentional comedy. Bad a$$ car chase. Renner delivers what's a classic performance, ("If we get jammed up, we're holding court in the street."). The "I need your help" scene is already going down as an all-timer. It's similar to Heat but not too similar because it doesn't come off like it's jocking. On top of that I've heard people still either talking about it or quoting it out at the bars here and there. Passes all the smell tests me thinks. One of those flicks I think mostly everyone's going to be watching whenever it's on TV forever.

Totally agreed. Renner is a f*cking rock star, especially in that movie. Only issue for me was that Rebecca Hall kinda dragged through it, though she's generally a good actress. As for Affleck, I thought Gone Baby Gone was brilliant, too. Dude's probably the next Clint Eastwood as a director.

Also watched No Country For Old Men (again) on TV the other day. The dialogue in that movie is so nuanced and, in the hands of the Coen Bros, that movie is amazing. I'm still not sure why they chose not to include why Tommy Lee Jones' character is so f'ed up though (which is covered in the book). Seemed like a pretty significant part of the character in the novel.

Totally agreed. Renner is a f*cking rock star, especially in that movie. Only issue for me was that Rebecca Hall kinda dragged through it, though she's generally a good actress. As for Affleck, I thought Gone Baby Gone was brilliant, too. Dude's probably the next Clint Eastwood as a director.

Plus he was the bomb in Phantoms.

• Upvote 1

Just saw "Attack The Block," which is being advertised as a Shaun of the Dead with aliens instead of zombies. It's not. Sucked. Like a really advanced film school production with a script written by uninspired 17 year olds.

I didn't know what that was. I thought it was a dance movie or something. Lol!

I am on a movie tear...going with the kids so my selections have been limited. But this week I saw Rise of the Apes and that Aliens vs Cowboys flicks (which had Indians mixed in)...

Both very good for the tween flicks IMHO Phillip.

Capt America is a good one for the Tweens also

Just saw "Attack The Block," which is being advertised as a Shaun of the Dead with aliens instead of zombies. It's not. Sucked. Like a really advanced film school production with a script written by uninspired 17 year olds.

really??? sh*t, I had hopes for that. Thanks for heads up..

By the way, if You want DIFFERENT try 'TrollHunters'..I like flicks that make a attempt at being different..Try it..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trollhunter/

Brendan Gleeson is awesome. If you liked him in In Bruges, you'll love him in this. Understated and hilarious all at once.

l

He starred in a very good movie about a Dublin crime boss called "The General". Also has a nice turn by Jon VOight as the the detective who chases him.

Had a chance to watch The Town again. It's sneakily almost a classic. The rewatchability on it is through the roof. Solid plot. Great cast (even the cameos are awesome. Blake Lively making sex noises, Chris Cooper, Kobayashi from The Usual Suspects). Affleck kills it from the director's chair. Good amount of unintentional comedy. Bad a$ car chase. Renner delivers what's a classic performance, ("If we get jammed up, we're holding court in the street."). The "I need your help" scene is already going down as an all-timer. It's similar to Heat but not too similar because it doesn't come off like it's jocking. On top of that I've heard people still either talking about it or quoting it out at the bars here and there. Passes all the smell tests me thinks. One of those flicks I think mostly everyone's going to be watching whenever it's on TV forever.

I watched this the other day on this recommendation. I was originally skeptical of watching it, I think because I just really don't like Ben Affleck very much.

After watching it, I still don't like Ben Affleck.

I think the movie would've been much better if he hadn't cast himself as this criminal mastermind with the big heart who gets away in the end - but he's such a morally strong criminal that he doesn't even need to keep the money, which instead gets donated to charity. There was a lot to like about the film. I really liked the supporting cast, I thought the action was really good. But Affleck's character was just total BS. Worst thing about the movie.

I watched this the other day on this recommendation. I was originally skeptical of watching it, I think because I just really don't like Ben Affleck very much.

After watching it, I still don't like Ben Affleck.

I think the movie would've been much better if he hadn't cast himself as this criminal mastermind with the big heart who gets away in the end - but he's such a morally strong criminal that he doesn't even need to keep the money, which instead gets donated to charity. There was a lot to like about the film. I really liked the supporting cast, I thought the action was really good. But Affleck's character was just total BS. Worst thing about the movie.

I liked The Town. However, being from the area, and having worked in the area where the armored car robbery and chase scene occurred, I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that 1) NO WAY the North End area would have so few people walking around at the time of the robbery. 2) NO WAY did the car chase scene gone down the way they showed. Where the chase was, and where they ended up taking the turn onto the bridge makes no sense.

I actually worked in that area when they were filming. The crew set up shop in a park behind my buidling. I used to walk around at lunch sometimes and see the crews filming and scouting throughtout the North End. It was kind of neat.

I think Renner's performance was brilliant. Between this flick and his performance in the Hurt Locker, well, let's just say the man can act. His performace was superior to Afflecks....and the accent was better too. Suprising how bad Affleck's Boston accent can be since he's from Cambridge.

My favorite lines:

Doug: "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Gem: "Whose car are we gonna take?"

_________

Frawley: "Jesus Chirst, Henry. Oxy, guns? It's like Townie Christmas."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Garb

Been getting into The Happening recently. The unintentional comedy is through the roof. I don't know if too many movies rank this high on the "so bad it's a comedy" scale. Wahlberg's faces alone make it worth the time.

How's your mother?

I love bad movies. If you get a chance, check this one out.

l

He starred in a very good movie about a Dublin crime boss called "The General". Also has a nice turn by Jon VOight as the the detective who chases him.

Beat me to it. I was just about to recommend "The General". I've seen it a few times and just started reading the book on which it was based which should have more details. Martin Cahill was the real life mobster that he portrayed and when you look at some of the pics of Cahill in the book, his resemblence to the character in the movie is unreal. Can't wait to see "The Guard".

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if Drive is the best movie of the year, but I'm really struggling to think of anything that's been better than it.

It looked ridiculous in the previews, but it's getting amazing reviews. I expect to see it tonight or tomorrow.

I liked The Town. However, being from the area, and having worked in the area where the armored car robbery and chase scene occurred, I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that 1) NO WAY the North End area would have so few people walking around at the time of the robbery. 2) NO WAY did the car chase scene gone down the way they showed. Where the chase was, and where they ended up taking the turn onto the bridge makes no sense.

I actually worked in that area when they were filming. The crew set up shop in a park behind my buidling. I used to walk around at lunch sometimes and see the crews filming and scouting throughtout the North End. It was kind of neat.

I think Renner's performance was brilliant. Between this flick and his performance in the Hurt Locker, well, let's just say the man can act. His performace was superior to Afflecks....and the accent was better too. Suprising how bad Affleck's Boston accent can be since he's from Cambridge.

My favorite lines:

Doug: "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Gem: "Whose car are we gonna take?"

_________

Frawley: "Jesus Chirst, Henry. Oxy, guns? It's like Townie Christmas."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but a lot of people who watched this movie do not live in Bawshton!

I usually hate seeing movies with that accent from that region. But ended up watching this movie based on the great reviews i was getting from my friends and did not regret it. Plus the chick Ben's character is dating is cute as hell.

Ben seems to making quite a few decent movies. Wasn't he involved in producing "Gone Baby Gone" which was a very engaging movie as well.

It looked ridiculous in the previews, but it's getting amazing reviews. I expect to see it tonight or tomorrow.

Won't spoil anything for anyone. All I'll say is that it's one of those flicks that's just refreshing...reminds you that movies can still be unapologetic to audiences in the interest of being original and good without a comic book basis. It's just a good movie. REALLY good. One of those that just feels like a breath of fresh air and you can't wait until you can watch it a couple more times.

I hate to say this because he'll forever be the dude from The Notebook that chicks wouldn't shut up about in college, but between this and Blue Valentine last year, Ryan Gosling has got to be one of the better guys at picking projects these days. I also thought he was great in Fracture, pretty surprised that movie flew under the radar so much, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was extremely well made. Half Nelson also.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Won't spoil anything for anyone. All I'll say is that it's one of those flicks that's just refreshing...reminds you that movies can still be unapologetic to audiences in the interest of being original and good without a comic book basis. It's just a good movie. REALLY good. One of those that just feels like a breath of fresh air and you can't wait until you can watch it a couple more times.

I agree. You definitely come away from it thinking, I hope they make more movies like this. The trailers didn't do it credit. There's plenty of action, but this is a serious, calculating film. Really enjoyed it. Albert Brooks was great - much better than his face lift.

I hate to say this because he'll forever be the dude from The Notebook that chicks wouldn't shut up about in college, but between this and Blue Valentine last year, Ryan Gosling has got to be one of the better guys at picking projects these days. I also thought he was great in Fracture, pretty surprised that movie flew under the radar so much, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was extremely well made. Half Nelson also.

I've gone back and checked out movies mentioned in this thread (Gone Baby Gone > The Town, IMHO), and I'll do the same with these.

If you wanna check out a good, strange, off beat, low key comedy with Ryan Gosling, see Lars and the Real Girl. I'd seen it years ago and didn't realize it was the same actor until I looked him up on imdb when I got home. It's a movie that sticks with you, though.

I don't know if Drive is the best movie of the year, but I'm really struggling to think of anything that's been better than it.

I didn't love it. I think Gosling is a great actor, but watching him intentionally mug and mumble his way through this one got on my nerves about 45 minutes in. It's one of those films where you appreciate what it's trying to do artistically, but you can't get past the overt pretense.

Edited by T0mShane

I've gone back and checked out movies mentioned in this thread (Gone Baby Gone > The Town, IMHO), and I'll do the same with these.

If you wanna check out a good, strange, off beat, low key comedy with Ryan Gosling, see Lars and the Real Girl. I'd seen it years ago and didn't realize it was the same actor until I looked him up on imdb when I got home. It's a movie that sticks with you, though.

Truth on GBG vs The Town. I was surprised RJF skipped over Lars and the Real Girl when talking about Gosling before. It's really a good movie.

Contagion or Drive, which one should I venture out to see?

Edited by SenorGato