Movies We've Seen Thread

Two big thumbs up for The Skeleton Twins. Bill Hader should start getting a little bigger after this movie, he's great. Never knew the dude has range, up until now he has always played the same guy.

I guess you haven't seen Hot Rod.

I see 3-5 flicks  a week at the theater, both Mainstream and Independent/Foreign.

Been slow season now leading up to Thanksgiving thru XMAS.

Saw Boyhood this weekend, very good and a great little Indie called Land Ho, journey of late discovery for two old friends

http://www.rottentom....com/m/land_ho/

saw one of my all time faves last night, the fisher king.  (DVD)     there are moments when you are too aware the camera is on a dolly shot, the lighting is way over the top (30 foot shadows of the bums under the bridge) and gilliam has a 1940's view of insane asylums

but

when it's good, it's really ******* good.  bridges and williams are perfect.  this movie has soul.  soul matters

http://youtu.be/qfunRtzlEjA

http://youtu.be/Qi3m7-eifRk

Odd Thomas is really well done. It's kinda sorta like The Frighteners but less built around humor and a super happy ending. Sneaky good cast with Dafoe, Alpha Dog, Timlin channeling Chriqui and still probably not into the idea, Gugu Mbatha-Raw still probably won't go out with me either...I enjoyed it. 

Has anyone seen Tusk? 

On the docket for this and next weekend. The theater I go to (16 screens) has a mix of Indie/mainstream. They have 8 new flicks this week I havent seen yet so gonna be a busy. Will see them all this and next weekend.  Will see two tonite.

I've seen everything playing there now (or chose not to see some) except these planned for nest week or so: Maze Runner, Tusk, This is Where I Leave You, A Walk Among the Tombstones, 'The Disappearance of Elinor Rigby:Them', Dolphin Tale2, Love is Strange and The Last Weekend.

My theater by the way, GREAT mix of Indies/Mainstreams, all screens big and all screens HD. No little screen in Theater 15 or 16 if some of you know what I mean. I've been to other theaters where 1 or 2 of the screens were close to my screen at home, LOL.

http://www.carolinacinemas.com/raleigh/

I can't believe that a Godzilla movie came out this year and was awesome. It was actually a good movie! There's plenty of room to go up! I didn't realize how often the movie hinted that there are plenty of other monsters. 

got my dvd yesterday !!!  woohooo !!!!!

I live my life by one rule and one rule only. If Michael Parks is in it, see that sh*t.

That's a pretty sweet rule.

He did an interview/podcast with Kevin Smith after Red State. Talked about his career and Hollywood, really interesting stuff. Sounds like he's got a lot of Red Ass in him.

That's a pretty sweet rule.

He did an interview/podcast with Kevin Smith after Red State. Talked about his career and Hollywood, really interesting stuff. Sounds like he's got a lot of Red Ass in him.

One of my favorite movie crossovers ever is Tarantino having him play the same ranger in Kill Bill that he played in From Dusk Till Dawn. Then bringing the character back again for Grindhouse.

Tusk is pretty hilarious. The funny thing is that it could have been a seriously great movie if Smith didn't get all light with it into the second act. The first 40 minutes or so are legitimately great filmmaking, and Michael Parks is awesome as usual. The dive into ridiculous is entertaining, nonetheless. I guess Smith was dead set on sticking to the podcast.

saw godzilla again today on DVD.  the final battle was better than I remember in the theatre.  the killing of the 1st muto was kinda confusing tho.  and the eggs thing just brought back bad memories form the 1998 movie.

did they do the final battle at night for some technical reason ?  it was hard to follow on a small screen

It's a movie about monsters fighting.. I wasn't a big fan of the lead actor but ******* terrible sounds like an overreaction. Where you looking for more Godzilla character development?

It's a movie about monsters fighting that doesn't have any fighting monsters through like the first hour and a half. And Aaron Taylor Johnson acts like he's in a sequel to Gymkata.

• Upvote 1

saw godzilla again today on DVD. the final battle was better than I remember in the theatre. the killing of the 1st muto was kinda confusing tho. and the eggs thing just brought back bad memories form the 1998 movie.

did they do the final battle at night for some technical reason ? it was hard to follow on a small screen

They did it because it looks awesome on an IMAX screen and/or in 3D. First couple weeks of sales are really all that matter these days, they don't care nearly as much if it looks good on a TV or not. (see: Dredd)

For what it's worth, the last 30 of Godzilla in IMAX really was awesome. Problem is you're so bitter because of how long it takes to get there that it kinda kills it.

It's a movie about monsters fighting that doesn't have any fighting monsters through like the first hour and a half. And Aaron Taylor Johnson acts like he's in a sequel to Gymkata.

Kudos for the Gymkata reference.  I must have seen that 10 times as a kid but if I say the name of that movie to just about anyone I get a blank stare in return.  Rightfully so I might add.

• Upvote 1