Movies We've Seen Thread

Has anybody seen the movie Anonymous? It sounds so interesting and so boring at the same time. It's boring because I've not so slowly been turning into an idiot and only moves that go bang capture my interesting.

Also, there was a movie call Stardust released in 2007. Sounds cool. Seen and recommended?

Edited by SenorGato

Has anyone seen Spiderman yet? Reviews seem to suggest it's more Spider-meh.

Havent seen yet, but it looks to be pulling a average of 3 of 4 stars..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_amazing_spider_man/

Avoid the 3D though :))

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Amazing-Spider-Man-Ticket-31690.html

My son went to the midnight premier. He really liked it, but I think some of that can be attributed to the fact that he's a teenage boy, was riding a caffeine high, and likes the not MJ chick.

Fwiw, he said it was moodier and generally better than the Tobey versions.

That new Spider Man movie is deplorable. I like the cast...I even think the Lizard design was in the vicinity of...It's everything else about the movie. Script sucks, story sucks, and why does is it every other person in the movie finds out who he is?

Is Spider Man just a hard comic book character to bring to life? Is it just having to redo the orign story every time that's annoying? Compared to this the 2001 version is a f'n masterpiece (and it is pretty damn underrated).

Super hero movies in order...I might be forgetting one but:

Batman Begins

Dark Knight

Lee's Hulk

Spider Man 2

Iron Man - Falls off in the second half, otherwise it's as good as any of them.

Spider Man

Norton's Hulk - I liked it.

Avengers - I'll be one of those people who watches it every time it's on on FX, but still mostly just fun loud noises.

All the rest suck...next most watchable one is Captain America, and that's only because I'm a true patriot.

Edited by SenorGato

I might just be in a good mood, but I finished watching Ted.

The two Sherlock Holmes movies Downey Jr. starred in are really, really good. The second one is even better than the first. Also, the BBC Channel show Sherlock Holmes is really good. They almost make me want to go back to reading fiction. I've never read any of the Holmes books, which is kind of stupid of me considering some of the books I have read (the list includes Random House Godzilla fan fiction and the entire Animorphs series).

I might just be in a good mood, but I finished watching Ted.

The two Sherlock Holmes movies Downey Jr. starred in are really, really good. The second one is even better than the first. Also, the BBC Channel show Sherlock Holmes is really good. They almost make me want to go back to reading fiction. I've never read any of the Holmes books, which is kind of stupid of me considering some of the books I have read (the list includes Random House Godzilla fan fiction and the entire Animorphs series).

I saw Ted and won't be recommending it. Lol! But I haven't smoked pot in a long time, and I have a feeling that the more recently you've smoked weed, the funnier you might think that movie is.

I'm a RDJ fan, and his Sherlock movies are fun, but that BBC series completely blows them away. I can't wait for the next season. The writing is absolutely brilliant. The casting is terrific.

CBS's Elementary is a USA-fication of Sherlock, and I know already that it's gonna suck. Super handsome Sherlock and Lucy Liu as Watson? Please!

I saw Ted and won't be recommending it. Lol! But I haven't smoked pot in a long time, and I have a feeling that the more recently you've smoked weed, the funnier you might think that movie is.

I'm a RDJ fan, and his Sherlock movies are fun, but that BBC series completely blows them away. I can't wait for the next season. The writing is absolutely brilliant. The casting is terrific.

CBS's Elementary is a USA-fication of Sherlock, and I know already that it's gonna suck. Super handsome Sherlock and Lucy Liu as Watson? Please!

agree BBC Sherlock is great......

It's very good, not great. Supposedly the story now is that the studio screened it a while back with an extra 45 minutes of footage that had a pretty great story, got scared to death, and made Webb cut it down to look more Raimi-esque. Now the movie's made a fortune, and Webb's pissed and doesn't want to come back for the sequel.

Garfield is fantastic in it though. Perfect pick by Webb for the role.

Yeah, my pot smoking has been greatly reduced and it definitely hurt Ted. Ted hurt Ted too.

That BBC series is f'n amaaaaaaaaaaazing. I finished every episode in a day sometime last week, and they all play as short movies. Every episode was good, though I saw a drop with Baskervilles. The Final Problem episode...:drool:

How did I not know that Moriarty was such a greeeeat villain? GD that character is awesome, and the two portrayals I've seen (Scott and Lane Pryce) kill.

Why do American television networks have to pull this sh*t every single time? You can't make good TV, so steal an idea and throw a stupid twist in. Watson a lady? Whoa ho ho! GFY lazy ****s.

Might want to rethink that one. Apparently it will make you believe that Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and John Carter were really great movies.

Heheheheheheeheh. That's my actual laugh when I read this...a giggle, because it's true.

I would watch that Spider Man movie with an extra 45 minutes. There were seeds for a very good movie in there.

It's very good, not great. Supposedly the story now is that the studio screened it a while back with an extra 45 minutes of footage that had a pretty great story, got scared to death, and made Webb cut it down to look more Raimi-esque. Now the movie's made a fortune, and Webb's pissed and doesn't want to come back for the sequel.

Garfield is fantastic in it though. Perfect pick by Webb for the role.

Thanks, man. I keep hearing that Garfield is really good, but The Lizard wasn't compelling enough as a character to carry his weight in the flick. Hopefully, they learn from this and give Garfield a better counterpart in the sequel. Maybe try and do Venom the right way.

100% agree with this. Once the novelty of a cursing Teddy bear wears off, there's not much else to this movie. Wahlberg was good, though.

Like that show, especially the actors. The only thing that drags it down for me are the constant graphic overlays pointing out the hints--WET COLLAR...POWDER BURN. Granted, the modern intellectual malaise has conditioned us all to expecting every shred of information spoon-fed to us, but some episodes were like watching Mystery Solving for Idiots.

Edited by T0mShane

This is the truth. Unfortunately, they get obscured by the cinematic diarrhea that constituted the Joel Schumacher abortions.

i was watching Batman & Robin the other day for the first time in years. What i used to think was awesome is now an piece of ****ing sh*t. the intro to that movie where they are playing hockey with the diamond, are you ****ing kidding me? what complete horsesh*t.

i was watching Batman & Robin the other day for the first time in years. What i used to think was awesome is now an piece of ****ing sh*t. the intro to that movie where they are playing hockey with the diamond, are you ****ing kidding me? what complete horsesh*t.

Literally the only movie I've ever been to where the entire crowd was booing during the film.

Literally the only movie I've ever been to where the entire crowd was booing during the film.

i try to watch remakes objectively, but i cant help comparing the older Batmans to Nolan's versions and it was like watching something for 5 year olds.

But to answer your other question, TDKR is gonna be the best movie of the year. absolutely EPIC

This is the truth. Unfortunately, they get obscured by the cinematic diarrhea that constituted the Joel Schumacher abortions.

Yes! Schumacher couldn't even come up with an original atmosphere. He borrowed Burton's, dragged it through the mud, sprinkled a little gay on it, and shat out two bad movies.

I'm not even sure Nolan's first two are outright better, but the fact that they are newer and there will be three...

Can we take a poll as to how incredible The Dark Knight Rises is going to be? I'm going to go with RIDICULAWESOME.

They started screening it last week. Early word is that it's as different from TDK as TDK was from Batman Begins. Bale turns in his best performance of the trilogy, Hathaway totally nails the part of Kyle, the ending is mind blowing, and it's a 10 out of 10.

Really can't wait. One of the reviewers basically said that if this doesn't win Best Picture, no comic book movie ever will.

Batman Forever is horrible, but it's still nice seeing it on reruns just to see Carrey back when he gave a sh*t about breaking the mold.

I'm not even sure Nolan's first two are outright better, but the fact that they are newer and there will be three...

Aside from Ed Wood, nothing Burton has ever made comes close to any of Nolan's movies. Guy's a glorified production designer and that's including both Batman movies he made. All semblance of the first one not being camp went out the window the second that Batman Begins came out and it became blatantly obvious how wrong he got it.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Batman Forever is horrible, but it's still nice seeing it on reruns just to see Carrey back when he gave a sh*t about breaking the mold.

Yea, he's really mailed in his movies since. Used to really enjoy when his new movies came out. I think we can all agree his best role was as Snow:

Aside from Ed Wood, nothing Burton has ever made comes close to any of Nolan's movies. Guy's a glorified production designer and that's including both Batman movies he made. All semblance of the first one not being camp went out the window the second that Batman Begins came out and it became blatantly obvious how wrong he got it.

Agreed, Ed wood is clearly his masterpiece. And while I love pretty much everything Nolan has touched, I think I'd put Edward Scissorhands ahead of The Prestige and on par with Insomnia (awesome and very underrated movie), even though I liked both of them. I personally though Big fish was overrated, but I'd say that's prestige-esque. And while not brilliant, I liked Depp and Ricci's performance in Sleep Hallow. Definitely agree that Burton has pushed out some crap and isn't on Nolan's level though.

Of course it was camp, it's based on a comic book. Burton walked that line the whole time in the two movies. Catwoman literally having 9 lives? Everything else about Catwoman in that movie? Nicholson's entire performance as the Joker? All of it camp, and nothing entirely wrong about it, particularly since the previous Batmans were a far, far lighter interpretation than what Burton offered.

I think he absolutely nailed the Penguin character as the unloved son of an aristocratic family angle and easily bested criminal. Catwoman was just fun, and he never veered off supernatural or not.

Nolan's the hot hand right now, but I don't think there was anything wrong about Burton's interpretation so much as it is different. I think Nolan's fits perfectly in the time we're in where everything is supposed to be a little bit gritty and edgy but still real (man!), but Burton's movies hold up 20+ years later just fine.

I should add that I'm a big fan of Burton's work. Big fan of both of those directors to be honest...Both have pumped out some of my favorite movies...I think both of them did right by Batman.

Edited by SenorGato