Movies We've Seen Thread

Checked out Straight Outta Compton last night. Loved it. Don't know how much of it is true or false, because by the time I got into gangster rap at 11/12 years old, Dre had already started Aftermath. However, as a huge fan of west coast rap growing up, getting to see the backstory in this form - however baised the perspective may be, was totally and awesomely sick. Not saying the movie should be up for any awards, but for me personally, I was fully invested in the movie from the opening scene - and was pissed that it ended when it did, because I would have loved to have seen how all the dominoes fell from the final scene to where I picked it up back in the late 90's. 

Also, don't necessarily agree that the acting was terrible. Sure, it could have been better (lookin right at you Paul Giamatti), but I though Cube Jr., the guy who played Dre, the guy who played E, were awesome. 

38 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Checked out Straight Outta Compton last night. Loved it. Don't know how much of it is true or false, because by the time I got into gangster rap at 11/12 years old, Dre had already started Aftermath. However, as a huge fan of west coast rap growing up, getting to see the backstory in this form - however baised the perspective may be, was totally and awesomely sick. Not saying the movie should be up for any awards, but for me personally, I was fully invested in the movie from the opening scene - and was pissed that it ended when it did, because I would have loved to have seen how all the dominoes fell from the final scene to where I picked it up back in the late 90's. 

Also, don't necessarily agree that the acting was terrible. Sure, it could have been better (lookin right at you Paul Giamatti), but I though Cube Jr., the guy who played Dre, the guy who played E, were awesome. 

I looked at it from a few different viewpoints..but remarkable is that 3 hood types"  could have so much talent. The odds of 3 guys coming together and being able to do what they did is simply remarkable.  I know almost nothing about RAP but as a CPA and entrepreneur, I can tell you that success is almost never luck. So these guys absolutely impressed me.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I looked at it from a few different viewpoints..but remarkable is that 3 hood types"  could have so much talent. The odds of 3 guys coming together and being able to do what they did is simply remarkable.  I know almost nothing about RAP but as a CPA and entrepreneur, I can tell you that success is almost never luck. So these guys absolutely impressed me.

There's a lot more where those three came from. Seeing how Snoop, Pac, Suge, Bone, DOC were all connected to this and how they came about was cool. You'd be impressed by them too. 

The historical political/civil/societal aspects of the movie were awesome. Showing what Reagan's war on drugs did to the hoods, how boys in the hood (pardon the pun) were both a product and a function of the inherent violence caused by poverty, how all of the police brutality and unmitigated prejudice bled into their art...it was all so cool. The scene where the kid on the bus is throwing up Crips signs and the Crenshaw Blood comes up and scares the kids into "gangbangin them books" is phenomenal. The jheri curls and hydraulics were awesome. The scenes where Cube and NWA trade disses is the stuff of legend. Personally, I wish they showed more of that - like the dis tracks between Dre and Eazy. Watching what was happening in Ferguson last August, and seeing a direct correlation to it's history back in the early 90's in Compton was...fascinating.

Again, I'm clearly biased because I was enamored with west coast rap and the glorified gangster life that came with it as an early teen in the late 90s, but I thought it was awesome. 

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Same. I watched it Saturday, I think, basically as soon as I saw HBO had it available.

I think I was in 5th grade when I finally got my hands on Straight Outta Compton. It was a remarkable album, and I loved it at the time, but I didn't get into the goofy, cartoonish gangsta rap scene that it spawned. As talented as Dre, Pac and Snoop are, their lyrics just didn't appeal to me over time. NWA tapped into something unique, pure even, but everything after it quickly became over-the-top and silly.

I've always been an idealist and rebellious in nature, so the idea of NWA delivering the reality story of where they came up appealed to me... but when "gangsta rap" became this sort of glorification of decadence, it lost its appeal to me. Not all of it, but generally speaking. Similar to the difference in punk that is about positive change, and punk that is about drugs and booze. The latter doesn't appeal to me at all.

They did a good job with look-alike casting. The acting was about on par for what I'd expect.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:56 AM, JiF said:

The Extended version of BvsS is sick!!!! I loved the movie.  Dont care what anyone else says.

Another movie liked and dont care what everyone else says, Maze Runner.  I felt like guilty liking it but I did.  So, I liked it enough to watch the second one,  Scorched Trials.  OMG - what a piece of sh*t.  It's soooooooooooooo ******* bad.  Like Fantastic 4 terrible.

Not seen BvsS yet, but the maze runner movies are bad ass. Gotta see the last one.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Secret life of Pets any good? Serious question-

I've been told it's alright. We're holding off. My daughter isn't even 3 yet, so there's no pressing need to see everything in the theatre.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The way they portrayed Eazy was flat out bullsh*t. They made zero mentions of all the disses he threw back at them, no mention of 187 which is a ******* classic. The she-thang line is still one of the all time greats and instead we get him crying to Paul Giamatti. Come on man.

28 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The way they portrayed Eazy was flat out bullsh*t. They made zero mentions of all the disses he threw back at them, no mention of 187 which is a ******* classic. The she-thang line is still one of the all time greats and instead we get him crying to Paul Giamatti. Come on man.

Were they supposed to have scenes in the movie that depicted every verse, in every song? Seems reasonable.

They were making a sob story for middle-aged white people to reminisce about their younger days appropriating black culture.

46 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I mean, as I said earlier - I would have loved to have seen more of the diss tracks between them all and the details of the breakup. I also wish they showed more of Bone, Pac, Snoop, etc. I'd even have loved for them to go into the eastcoast/westcoast sh*t with Suge, Biggie and Bad Boy Ent. Hell, I'd even have loved for it to go through Chronic '01 and end after introducing The Slim Shady LP. I probably would have sat there through it all for another 2 hours and not batted an eye - because I was that engrossed in it.

Plus, I went into it with a little bit of survivorship bias priced into the perspective. Eazy wasn't around to get his side of it on film. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I mean, as I said earlier - I would have loved to have seen more of the diss tracks between them all and the details of the breakup. I also wish they showed more of Bone, Pac, Snoop, etc. I'd even have loved for them to go into the eastcoast/westcoast sh*t with Suge, Biggie and Bad Boy Ent. Hell, I'd even have loved for it to go through Chronic '01 and end after introducing The Slim Shady LP. I probably would have sat there through it all for another 2 hours and not batted an eye - because I was that engrossed in it.

Plus, I went into it with a little bit of survivorship bias priced into the perspective. Eazy wasn't around to get his side of it on film. 

I knew going in that most of the stuff was going to be from Dre and Cube's perspective (i.e. Dre didn't WANT to wear the disco outfits and Eazy simply could NEVER write lyrics without Cube...etc), but to not even mention anything he threw back at them? They made him look like a broken down and bitter housewife and that isn't what happened. 187 was a top 5 album that hit #1 on the R&B charts. They devoted 10 minutes of screen time to No Vaseline but none to Real MF G's when the latter is without question a harder track and is consistently ranked as a top 2 or 3 diss track on every list out there. I get that history is written by the victors, and to be clear I think it's a well done movie, but the second half of that flick is devoted to propping up the influence and legacies of Dre and Cube and for Eazy fans it just came off as disingenuous and sh*tty. You don't earn the title Godfather of Gangsta Rap when crying is your default emotional response. Ren was seriously pissed about how they portrayed the story for both Eazy and him, and I thought he was just being salty, but when the movie dropped I saw exactly what he was talking about. They do a huge disservice to Ren's role in all the writing as well.

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I knew going in that most of the stuff was going to be from Dre and Cube's perspective (i.e. Dre didn't WANT to wear the disco outfits and Eazy simply could NEVER write lyrics without Cube...etc), but to not even mention anything he threw back at them? They made him look like a broken down and bitter housewife and that isn't what happened. 187 was a top 5 album that hit #1 on the R&B charts. They devoted 10 minutes of screen time to No Vaseline but none to Real MF G's when the latter is without question a harder track and is consistently ranked as a top 2 or 3 diss track on every list out there. I get that history is written by the victors, and to be clear I think it's a well done movie, but the second half of that flick is devoted to propping up the influence and legacies of Dre and Cube and for Eazy fans it just came off as disingenuous and sh*tty. You don't earn the title Godfather of Gangsta Rap when crying is your default emotional response. Ren was seriously pissed about how they portrayed the story for both Eazy and him, and I thought he was just being salty, but when the movie dropped I saw exactly what he was talking about. They do a huge disservice to Ren's role in all the writing as well.

Fair enough. I honestly don't know enough about Eazy, and although he's got some gems, his voice and delivery always annoyed me. And when you look at a lot of his songs including the ones on his solo stuff, there are lots of ghostwriting credits thrown around...and label me old fashioned, but I'm still that kid from the 90's who thinks that if you're not rapping (or even singing in the case of so many bands these days) your own words, it loses my interest. 

Regarding Ren and Cube: I'm not going to pretend like I know much at all about either. I know their most famous stuff, but that's about it. However, even when listening to NWA stuff, it's clear that Cube was the driving force of story-telling gangster rap. The moment he broke free from NWA, he continued it on his solo stuff, whereas everyone else almost starting turning into caricatures of themselves. Even chronic '01 (which I LOVED as a teenager; never having heard the original chronic or any NWA at the time) seems corny now. Frankly, I'm happy they didn't really focus on him much, just as they didn't focus on Dre's rapping either. I think they did right by the group...Cube was the lyricist, Eazy the rapper, Dre provided beats and produced, and yella and ren were Toni Kukoc and Luc Longely. 

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Did anyone read Girl on the Train? Movie comes out in October I believe, trailer was pretty solid.

My fiance has, and she can't wait for the movie. She had also read gone girl and loved the firm interpretation of it, so it's helping to build her anticipation for girl on the train even more. 

On 7/24/2016 at 2:33 PM, SenorGato said:

I meant Interstellar

I am a very un emotional guy.

The music in that is amazing, the score alone gets me.  Then the scenes, where his daughter thinks he betrayed her.  If you have a little girl, you can't watch that and not be moved.  Plus the amazing visuals, the story, all of it. 

I go to the movies at least once a week with my oldest.  Perfect for when it is too fricken hot in the mid afternoon.  These are the last few movies we went to.

• Tarzan  - typical mediocre adventure flick.  The 7 year old liked it.
  • Finding Dory - poor version of Finding Nemo.  The 7 year old thought it was OK.
  • Star Trek - Very good entry.  Loved the nods to the original.   The 7 year old LOVED it (especially the Beastie Boys Sabotage blasting).
  • Secret Life of Pets - typical kid movie, enjoyable for adults.  The 7 year old LOVED it.
  • Ghostbusters - Meh.  Not terrible, but so much untapped potential.  The 7 year old thought it was OK.  He is a fan of the original.
  • World of Warcraft - Mediocre adventure flick, better than the reviews though.  The 7 year old liked it.

Jason Bourne this week, Suicide Squad next week.  High hopes for both.

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Saw BFG with the kids.   I know it bombed at the box office, but all 4 of us really liked it.   Very good kids movie.

3 hours ago, Bergen Jet said:

My 7 year old doesn't want to see it.  I actually kind of want to...  I might drag him this weekend.

my 10 year old read the book and loved it.  some good silly funny scenes.  place was empty when we went, go soon or it will be out of theaters

• Upvote 2