Movies We've Seen Thread

On 2/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, peebag said:

Saw 2 documentaries - first was "De Palma" about the director - incredible story and the amount of films he was tied to....

Also saw "Danny Says" about Danny Fields and his tie with the music biz - also a very amazing tale...

'De Palma' is on my list. 'Sisters', if you haven't seen it, is great in its way (if you can withstand the schlock, which is of course why I like it). I love me some conjoined freaks. Some of the acting is oofah (you have to have a lot of patience for Jennifer Salt). The couch scene is totally borrowed from 'Repulsion'. I didn't bother with the re-make of 'Sisters'; but prior to that, other film-makers went on to borrow from De Palma (birthday cakes and slashings). I think De Palma is more a body of work type director on some days, but he did some awesome things, and when he did them well, he did them well. Going into the canon, rest assured. Anyway, I really like him. 

His 'Psycho' "tribute" film, of course. I had strep throat (unbeknownst) and started spiking a high fever when I saw this in the theatre. Sex, full frontal, a day at the museum, a zipless fukk, venereal disease, straight razors, a Marion Crane hooker, Norman Bates, a big boobed nurse getting choked in a madhouse snake pit, who could ask for more ?  I was really sick, and flinched when I caught my reflection in the bathroom mirror in the middle of the night, lol. 

I'll get into 'Star Wars' one day, and everyone on here will probably torch my house if they knew where I lived. Let's just say I managed to avoid seeing it for 15 years, and I've only seen it piece meal. A pretty Herculean feat. Right hand to God, I have never seen the whole thing. I never even knew it was called Episode of Hope or Episode 90 or whatever. I just thought it was freakin' 'Star Wars'. RIP, Carrie Fisher, btw, but that's independent. I felt so bad for her. I admired her wit and candor, and by all accounts a lovely, brave and caring person. She had a tough run of things. I just thought of a funny for her spur of the moment in the gazillion posts thread. It's prettttyy gooooodd, even by my own questionable standards. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Did you guys know that Steven Seagal made 6 movies last year? 6! I just tried watching one called Code of Honor. Gotta say I enjoyed it quite a bit.

No, but 'Love Story' with Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw was on this morning, and I drank a bottle of ipecac to push and hasten the hurling along. 

OK, this a true story movie story, and like I always say, all of my stories are true.  I don't like weed, and I've probably only smoked about 15 times in my entire life. Part of the distaste was the shkivatz sharing of spit. Um, yuk, no, keep your hippie chit over there. Anyway, it would generally make me untalkative and withdrawn, and most times when a siren went off, the cops were out out to get me, so what's the point?  There were a few occasions when I laughed like hell, but I generally stayed away. I almost always got a sore throat, and again, the spit sharing, yecccch, roach clips, more spit proliferation. Plus, bongs have this penis like remindful shape on top of it, I don't know, and it's just not sexy looking at all. Just . . . no. 

So anyway, my friend Mark and I momentarily decided to make tea with some Hawaiian he had instead of smoking it because I refused to smoke out of some toilet paper roll contraption that he saw on 'Scared Straight' or some sh*t.  Yes, yes, bad idea. Then he tries to go all rolling papers on me, and I say, your spit, the point is the spit, eee eee, no. Then I come up with this brilliant idea. Let's mix it with raspberry jam and toast it on bread. Yep, we ate it, which is a lot more potent. Who knew? We went to see 'Maniac', the Joe Spinell film, but it just wasn't working for me. It was 'I Spit on Your Grave' bad, and I was just getting really disturbed. We were high as kites about half-way through, and I said, "I gotta get the fukk out of here. NOW." We went into the lobby. Mark: "I think I'm dying." Me: "No, you're not. Let's sneak into 'Every Which Way You Can!' "  So, yeah, we watched a crap sequel with an Orangutan with Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke that we barely remembered on the way out, and then went to the diner.

Story not over, here's where it gets better. Mostly back to earth and shoveling pancakes into our yaps while mainlining coffee, we hear this noise outside. Is that an earthquake? The foundation of this lovely Greek-American establishment was literally moving right outside the window of our aqua colored pleather booth. Thump, thump, thump! We simultaneously lifted the curtain to see, and one guy with a mullet with jeans up to his neck was kicking the crap out of another guy with a Mohawk and slamming him against the bricks. Mystery solved. I swear to Christ, it went on for about 15 minutes before the owner grabbed a broom, ran out there and starting hitting them over the head.  "NO CONTROVERSY!" I was shrieking the whole time, there was no stopping me. Mark put quarters in the table side jukebox. Guess what happened next?  "You're not ever going to believe this, J. Here it comes!  'Oh, What A Night', hahahahahahaha!"  Perfect. God keep Frankie Valli. What a night it was indeed. Legend. 

You can guess how old we were by the movies. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetophile said:

OK, this a true story movie story, and like I always say, all of my stories are true.  I don't like weed, and I've probably only smoked about 15 times in my entire life. Part of the distaste was the shkivatz sharing of spit. Um, yuk, no, keep your hippie chit over there. Anyway, it would generally make me untalkative and withdrawn, and most times when a siren went off, the cops were out out to get me, so what's the point?  There were a few occasions when I laughed like hell, but I generally stayed away. I almost always got a sore throat, and again, the spit sharing, yecccch, roach clips, more spit proliferation. Plus, bongs have this penis like remindful shape on top of it, I don't know, and it's just not sexy looking at all. Just . . . no. 

So anyway, my friend Mark and I momentarily decided to make tea with some Hawaiian he had instead of smoking it because I refused to smoke out of some toilet paper roll contraption that he saw on 'Scared Straight' or some sh*t.  Yes, yes, bad idea. Then he tries to go all rolling papers on me, and I say, your spit, the point is the spit, eee eee, no. Then I come up with this brilliant idea. Let's mix it with raspberry jam and toast it on bread. Yep, we ate it, which is a lot more potent. Who knew? We went to see 'Maniac', the Joe Spinell film, but it just wasn't working for me. It was 'I Spit on Your Grave' bad, and I was just getting really disturbed. We were high as kites about half-way through, and I said, "I gotta get the fukk out of here. NOW." We went into the lobby. Mark: "I think I'm dying." Me: "No, you're not. Let's sneak into 'Every Which Way You Can!' "  So, yeah, we watched a crap sequel with an Orangutan with Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke, that we barely remembered on the way out, and then went to the diner.

Story not over, here's where it gets better. Mostly back to earth and shoveling pancakes into our yaps while mainlining coffee, we hear this noise outside. Is that an earthquake? The foundation of this lovely Greek establishment was literally moving right outside the window of our aqua colored pleather booth. Thump, thump, thump! We simultaneously lifted the curtain to see, and one guy with a mullet with jeans up to his neck was kicking the crap out of another guy with a Mohawk and slamming him against the bricks. Mystery solved. I swear to Christ, it went on for about 15 minutes before the owner grabbed a broom, ran outside and starting hitting them. "NO CONTROVERSY!" I was shrieking the whole time, there was no stopping me. Mark put quarters in the table side jukebox. Guess what happened next?  "You're not ever going to believe this, J. Here it comes!  'Oh, What A Night', hahahahahahaha!"  Perfect. God keep Frankie Valli. What a night it was indeed. Legend. 

when I met my wifes, then girlfriends, best friend for the first time she gave me an Onyx black bowl to smoke from shaped like a penis.

I emptied the whole bowl in 1 toke.

I'm still here !

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

when I met my wifes, then girlfriends, best friend for the first time she gave me an Onyx black bowl to smoke from shaped like a penis.

I emptied the whole bowl in 1 toke.

I'm still here !

"when I met my wifes, girlfriends, best friend"  = Canterbury Tales? 

5 hours ago, jetophile said:

So anyway, my friend Mark and I momentarily decided to make tea with some Hawaiian he had instead of smoking it because I refused to smoke out of some toilet paper roll contraption that he saw on 'Scared Straight' or some sh*t.  Yes, yes, bad idea. Then he tries to go all rolling papers on me, and I say, your spit, the point is the spit, eee eee, no. Then I come up with this brilliant idea. Let's mix it with raspberry jam and toast it on bread. Yep, we ate it, which is a lot more potent. Who knew? We went to see 'Maniac', the Joe Spinell film, but it just wasn't working for me. It was 'I Spit on Your Grave' bad, and I was just getting really disturbed. We were high as kites about half-way through, and I said, "I gotta get the fukk out of here. NOW." We went into the lobby. Mark: "I think I'm dying." Me: "No, you're not. Let's sneak into 'Every Which Way You Can!' "  So, yeah, we watched a crap sequel with an Orangutan with Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke, that we barely remembered on the way out, and then went to the diner.

Story not over, here's where it gets better. Mostly back to earth and shoveling pancakes into our yaps while mainlining coffee, we hear this noise outside. Is that an earthquake? The foundation of this lovely Greek establishment was literally moving right outside the window of our aqua colored pleather booth. Thump, thump, thump! We simultaneously lifted the curtain to see, and one guy with a mullet with jeans up to his neck was kicking the crap out of another guy with a Mohawk and slamming him against the bricks. Mystery solved. I swear to Christ, it went on for about 15 minutes before the owner grabbed a broom, ran out there and starting hitting them over the head.  "NO CONTROVERSY!" I was shrieking the whole time, there was no stopping me. Mark put quarters in the table side jukebox. Guess what happened next?  "You're not ever going to believe this, J. Here it comes!  'Oh, What A Night', hahahahahahaha!"  Perfect. God keep Frankie Valli. What a night it was indeed. Legend. 

?????

RIP Bill Paxton. : (   What a bummer. 

I always thought 'Frailty' was horribly underrated.  It's like 'My Name is Earl' for scumbags. The only fault that I have with the film is that Paxton should've ended the flick shortly after the boneyard scene with Powers Boothe.  The actual ending was unnecessary filler because he didn't trust his audience but it's still a fabulous, fabulous flick.  Keep OTIS close. You were a pleasure, Sir.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/25/2017 at 0:13 PM, T0mShane said:

Did no one see Manchester By The Sea?

and is the Get Out hype warranted? 

Went to the movies last night just to avoid the inevitability of turning on the Oscars.  We had to make a choice between Get Out, Collide and John Wick 2.

We made the wrong choice and saw John Wick 2.  I don't get all the rave reviews.  The action scenes were ok but in the absence of a charismatic character and good story line, none of which this movie has, it was a grand waste of time and $30.  Should have seen Get Out instead.  Then again, I am one who thinks Keanu Reeves has no talent beyond his great physicality.  He bores me to no end. Personality of a door knob in every single movie. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Went to the movies last night just to avoid the inevitability of turning on the Oscars.  We had to make a choice between Get Out, Collide and John Wick 2.

We made the wrong choice and saw John Wick 2.  I don't get all the rave reviews.  The action scenes were ok but in the absence of a charismatic character and good story line, none of which this movie has, it was a grand waste of time and $30.  Should have seen Get Out instead.  Then again, I am one who thinks Keanu Reeves has no talent beyond his great physicality.  He bores me to no end. Personality of a door knob in every single movie. 

There si so much good stuff on TV, don't recall the alst time I was in a multiplex. Watched tales of hedge fund/DoJ  warfare and surviving the zombie apocalypse instead. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I liked it. Kind of cool with the hotel stuff, and good action scenes.  It was nice watching something without shaky cam or without showing a scene from 4 angles at once.  Just, a straight forward action movie.

I watched The Departed last night for the first time in 8 or 9 years.   I forgot how GOOD that movie is. 

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

It's cool dude, one of my best friends is gay too.

• Upvote 2

On 2/27/2017 at 10:15 AM, Dcat said:

Keanu Reeves in 'Dracula':  "I was impotent with fear!"  Me, too, mostly because of his performance.  Haha, it's a few pages back re: Keanu, but the world is so small. Oddly enough, Jordan Peele wrote and starred in 'Keanu'. Chariots of the Gods, man. 'Get Out', definitely will see, partly because it's a phrase of mine. I'm down for it. Gonna totally be a cult classic, good for Peele. Brian Williams will probably report that he was hypnotized by God when he visited the set to see his daughter, but that's cool. 

We used to have Keanu's scream  from 'Dracula' on our answering machine with Gary Oldman laughing at the end.  Microcassete that you had to flip over when it ran out of space, telemarketers were killing us. We held the answering machine up to our wonderfully ancient hand me down POS Zenith color TV to record it to fukk with them. We had roughly 100 hang ups a week.  Thanks, dude, you served your purpose. 

• Upvote 1

Dr. Strange, meh. Almost every single Marvel movie is the same. Same formulaic plot, same formulaic quips...etc. I'm happy that Deadpool and Logan are kind of paving some new ground, but for ****'s sake Hollywood really needs to change things up otherwise this genre is going to fizzle out eventually. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Dr. Strange, meh. Almost every single Marvel movie is the same. Same formulaic plot, same formulaic quips...etc. I'm happy that Deadpool and Logan are kind of paving some new ground, but for ****'s sake Hollywood really needs to change things up otherwise this genre is going to fizzle out eventually. 

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The time going backwards scene was awesome.

I'm going to Logan Thursday at 8:30.   very excited.

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The time going backwards scene was awesome.

I'm going to Logan Thursday at 8:30.   very excited.

The effects were fine, but by that point I was just so bored by the story. I think we're all a bit spoiled in this age when it comes to effects like that and I'm certainly no exception. The movie looked great, but almost every movie looks great nowadays.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The effects were fine, but by that point I was just so bored by the story. I think we're all a bit spoiled in this age when it comes to effects like that and I'm certainly no exception. The movie looked great, but almost every movie looks great nowadays.

Watch the Honest Trailer for it.   It is basically a remake of Iron Man with Magic instead of Iron.

51 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I said the same thing when Ant-Man dropped. This is the 20th time they've made this movie!

Was there a giant whirling vortex hovering over the city with a cackling villain on the ground directly beneath the eye? 

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Logan is really great. A refreshingly original comic movie ironically from two guys that have been in the genre the longest. A fitting goodbye for both. I am going to miss Patrick Stewart in this role. 

Agreed Logan was really good.  A proper send off to Jackman and Stewart.  Enjoyed the film alot.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Logan is really great. A refreshingly original comic movie ironically from two guys that have been in the genre the longest. A fitting goodbye for both. I am going to miss Patrick Stewart in this role. 

Totally agree.  

Not a formula super hero movie.   Really more of a drama with some intense action.  And that little girl was very good, she played a very intense role, and she did great.

Just now, chirorob said:

Totally agree.  

Not a formula super hero movie.   Really more of a drama with some intense action.  And that little girl was very good, she played a very intense role, and she did great.

They are making a New Mutants movie, but no word if Laura is going to be in it yet. I hope she is and Fox moves on for a little while. Focus on some fresh characters and the Deadpool side of the universe with Cable and X-Force. It's not that I think McAvoy is a bad Professor or that nobody else can play Wolverine, I think it's just time for a change for a bit.

28 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They are making a New Mutants movie, but no word if Laura is going to be in it yet. I hope she is and Fox moves on for a little while. Focus on some fresh characters and the Deadpool side of the universe with Cable and X-Force. It's not that I think McAvoy is a bad Professor or that nobody else can play Wolverine, I think it's just time for a change for a bit.

They need to just move on, for her, this is a one off role.  It takes place in the future, not now, and they should just leave it alone.

To re boot Wolverine after this so soon would be a bad idea, I think it'd be very poorly received.  The last X Men movie was really bad, I do not like Sophie Turner at all, if they go the Jean Grey Dark Pheonix route, it's going to be utter crap.

Being 1. old and 2. never going to a movie theater again because of #1, saw "Manchester by the Sea'. Very depressing. Well a ted but really spare one very intense moment wasn't much about it that was special nor Oscar-worthy. A decent 2 hours, . Personallly thought "Hell or High Water" was a better movie, and Jeff Bridges was tremendous, but the guy already has a few. 

About the campaign to demonize Casey Affleck, that really sounds like crap. Either call 911 or go down to the police station or stop making stuff up . It's really wrong, and it minimizes the crimes of awful  men who actually do sexually assault women. 

• Upvote 1

I caught Snowden over the weekend. I enjoyed it, if for no other reason, it prompted a thoughtful discussion between my wife and I about privacy laws - and the realities that with everything going on in national/global politics right now, we probably only have visibility into about 1-3% of the truth. 

Gordon-Levitt was solid, reminded me of Looper where he was able to nail Bruce Willis' speaking impression to make his role believable. 

On 3/3/2017 at 10:16 AM, chirorob said:

They need to just move on, for her, this is a one off role.  It takes place in the future, not now, and they should just leave it alone.

To re boot Wolverine after this so soon would be a bad idea, I think it'd be very poorly received.  The last X Men movie was really bad, I do not like Sophie Turner at all, if they go the Jean Grey Dark Pheonix route, it's going to be utter crap.

The X-Men universe is too big for movies. I've been saying it since the Sopranos was on HBO, the characters lend themselves better to what HBO has built from Game of Thrones. Huge opportunity missed, imo. Sure, they get the box office cash-in on each new X-Men flick... but I think the money is there no matter what, would you prefer to make the money and tell the story right?

I would.

But I'm a creative idealistic, I guess.

• Upvote 1