Movies We've Seen Thread

Birdman was very interesting. I can't say it's the best movie of the year, but it's very well done and Keaton and Norton certainly deserve all the accolades they have gotten for it. Definitely deserving of best cinematography, and Inarritu would be a shoe-in for best director if Linklater hadn't blown everyone out of the water this year.

Birdman was very interesting. I can't say it's the best movie of the year, but it's very well done and Keaton and Norton certainly deserve all the accolades they have gotten for it. Definitely deserving of best cinematography, and Inarritu would be a shoe-in for best director if Linklater hadn't blown everyone out of the water this year

booooooooo! Other than the gimmick of filming over 12 year span, I didn't find anything special about the film.

Except that's exactly what is special about the film.

I don't agree, I don't believe filming for a few weeks every year for 12 years is special and makes it Oscar worthy. You can age wine for 112 years but when you open it and it taste like crap... then it's 112 year old crappy wine. Filmmaking to me at the end of the day is about the storytelling, and the story in Boyhood, to me.. isn't great.

Edge of Tomorrow is a really great piece of science fiction.

Okay, I finally saw Groundhog Day vs. The Alien Calamari Monsters.  I doubt I liked it as much as you,  but it was certainly good.  I can accept that you liked Cruise in this, but I still think Jack Reacher was an abomination.  I thought Paxton was pretty good too, though I kept thinking he was doing a Raylon Givens imitation.

Google the artwork he did for the version of Dune that was supposed to get made in the 70s. Crazy sh*t.

now I want to cry, thanks

In 1973, film producer Arthur P. Jacobs optioned the film rights to Dune but died before a film could be developed. The option was then taken over two years later by director Alejandro Jodorowsky, who proceeded to approach, among others, Virgin Records, with the prog rock groups Tangerine DreamGong and Mike Oldfield before settling onPink Floyd and Magma for some of the music; artists H. R. GigerChris Foss, and Jean Giraud for set and character design; Dan O'Bannon for special effects; and Salvador DalíOrson WellesGloria SwansonDavid CarradineMick JaggerAmanda Lear, and others for the cast.[3]

now I want to cry, thanks

In 1973, film producer Arthur P. Jacobs optioned the film rights to Dune but died before a film could be developed. The option was then taken over two years later by director Alejandro Jodorowsky, who proceeded to approach, among others, Virgin Records, with the prog rock groups Tangerine DreamGong and Mike Oldfield before settling onPink Floyd and Magma for some of the music; artists H. R. GigerChris Foss, and Jean Giraud for set and character design; Dan O'Bannon for special effects; and Salvador DalíOrson WellesGloria SwansonDavid CarradineMick JaggerAmanda Lear, and others for the cast.[3]

Favorite documentary of the year last year and maybe of all time. Really inspiring ending too.

Tonight I forced my wife to sit through an old 70s scifi horror flick called Demon Seed. It's about an artificially intelligent computer program that hijacks his makers house, and after it has access to the house the computer kidnaps the developer's wife and blackmails her into letting it impregnate her so the computer can give birth to itself in human form. Then it self-destructs and leaves an incubator behind, from which a big slimy robot newborn crawls out several days later.

• Upvote 2

Tonight I forced my wife to sit through an old 70s scifi horror flick called Demon Seed. It's about an artificially intelligent computer program that hijacks his makers house, and after it has access to the house the computer kidnaps the developer's wife and blackmails her into letting it impregnate her so the computer can give birth to itself in human form. Then it self-destructs and leaves an incubator behind, from which a big slimy robot newborn crawls out several days later.

When I saw this repped, I knew without a doubt that it was Thor!

• Upvote 2

I only know Lake Placid for the classic American monster film starring a giant croc, Bill Pulman, Brendan Gleeson, a still hot Bridget Fonda in probably the only other worthwhile movie she's been in not named Jackie Brown, Oliver Platt....Can't ask for much more tbh.

----

Shaker needs to make an Animorphs movie.

I only know Lake Placid for the classic American monster film starring a giant croc, Bill Pulman, Brendan Gleeson, a still hot Bridget Fonda in probably the only other worthwhile movie she's been in not named Jackie Brown, Oliver Platt....Can't ask for much more tbh.

----

Shaker needs to make an Animorphs movie.

Not a fan of Singles, Single White Female or the La Femme Nikita reboot?

Saw "30 for 30" about the Russian perspective about the US 1980 win in Lake Placid. Interesting, a decent way to spend a few hours if you're a hockey fan.

Best 30 for 30 is the one about the pro athletes all going broke. The OT for the Jaguars with the last $50k check to his name go buys a fully loaded hummer. Lol

Talk about a career that died. She was the biggest female star around in the early 90's. She and Cuba Gooding Jr should do Expendables 4.

She married Danny Elfman and quit to raise a family.  How dare she!  She hit the age where women often start having trouble finding decent roles.  I am willing to bet she comes back well before her On Golden Pond years.

booooooooo! Other than the gimmick of filming over 12 year span, I didn't find anything special about the film.

I think "gimmick" sells it way short. It was a great idea that, IMO, was a perfect fit for the story - about people and relationships changing over time - that he had.

I admit, if he films that story with a normal production schedule, changing the actors to cover the time span (for the kids anyway), it probably doesn't get a single nomination. If he had won best original screenplay, you'd have a legitimate gripe. But you can't separate his unique concept from the story and everything else. And the fact that it's a fit with the story is what makes it much more than a gimmick.

I thought it was brilliant, and deserved the Best Director hands down.