Movies We've Seen Thread

the shining was on cinnemax today and its the first time ive watched it in years.  brilliant piece of cinema 

Random useless Shining fact of the day: When the studio made Ridley Scott change the ending to the original cut of Blade Runner, Kubrick let Scott use outtake footage from The Shining for the blanket shots over the landscape after Deckard and Rachael are shown in the car. So when you're watching the ending to the original cut of Blade Runner, you're watching the same helicopter footage from the intro to The Shining.

• Upvote 1

I wish he would have been willing to get involved with the special edition of Alien 3. The studio did an admirable job of fixing it but I wonder how he would have approached it. It's held up over time very well and fans have warmed up to it, especially since the Assembly Cut got released.

Even with all the creative differences and re-writing/shooting on the fly, I love the vibe of that flick.  It has Fincher's darker texture all over it, especially when you compare it to the second installment of "Alien".  

Random useless Shining fact of the day: When the studio made Ridley Scott change the ending to the original cut of Blade Runner, Kubrick let Scott use outtake footage from The Shining for the blanket shots over the landscape after Deckard and Rachael are shown in the car. So when you're watching the ending to the original cut of Blade Runner, you're watching the same helicopter footage from the intro to The Shining.

if you're really anal about "The Shining" catch "Room 237" - fascinating look at the movie - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/

Even with all the creative differences and re-writing/shooting on the fly, I love the vibe of that flick.  It has Fincher's darker texture all over it, especially when you compare it to the second installment of "Alien".  

I usually get killed for this by my buddies, but I agree and I also think Aliens is way overrated. In the context of the era it came out in, fine, but over time it has not held up nearly as well as Scott's Alien and more importantly it has that cliche Cameron vibe stamped all over it. The reason the original is so brilliant is because it's not an action fest; the entire movie juxtaposes negative space and it's cerebral and terrifying as all hell because you never know what's happening anywhere. Cameron took all of that and made it a shoot-em-up story. Entertaining, sure, but not nearly the film of its predecessor.

I usually get killed for this by my buddies, but I agree and I also think Aliens is way overrated. In the context of the era it came out in, fine, but over time it has not held up nearly as well as Scott's Alien and more importantly it has that cliche Cameron vibe stamped all over it. The reason the original is so brilliant is because it's not an action fest; the entire movie juxtaposes negative space and it's cerebral and terrifying as all hell because you never know what's happening anywhere. Cameron took all of that and made it a shoot-em-up story. Entertaining, sure, but not nearly the film of its predecessor.

Exactly right.  For most of that flick, you're scared out of your mind and not sure why. 

Aliens doesn't hold up? Wtf are you guys watching? It kicks the s out of 99% of action movies released today and the practical fx look

10x more realistic than the cgi garbage marvel movies.

There's a reason why films like aliens and goodfellas are constantly rerun on basic cable. They are classics and people will sit and watch even if they've seen it 100x already and own it on Blu Ray and dvd

Aliens doesn't hold up? Wtf are you guys watching? It kicks the s out of 99% of action movies released today and the practical fx look

There's a reason why films like aliens and goodfellas are constantly rerun on basic cable. They are classics and people will sit and watch even if they've seen it 100x already and own it on Blu Ray and dvd

Goodfellas gets rerun because it's the greatest movie ever. Aliens gets rerun because dudes who drank Beast at their frat houses in the 80s need to relive their glory days.

LOL at making fun of CGI Marvel movies.

True story.  I'm not sure if I said this before, but a couple of weeks ago I switched on FX to wait for Archer while I was cooking.  I didn't know the time and kept checking the screen.  The CGI is so fake that a bunch of times I ran over and sat on the couch only to find the Avengers or whatever it was still on.  I kept thinking it was the cartoon. I am a little upset that Archer gave up the Challenger for an El Camino though.  I am a Mopar man.

Finally got around to watching Gone Girl last night.

Frankly, I thought it was excellent. I liked it in the weird, aesthetically pleasing, and uncomfortably interested way that I liked True Detectives and Clockwork Orange. I can't really explain it beyond that. Rosamund Pike surprised me - I'd seen her in some other stuff and logged her as "pretty, but mechanical" and she totally destroyed that impression of her in this.

I loved it. I can't stand Affleck but that was a good flick that he really couldn't **** up.

I've heard a lot of negativity around the ending, but I thought it perfectly summed up the complelty ****ed up situation they were in.

Another movie I saw the other day was "3rd Person". Great cast and great acting. Olivia Wilde gets nude which is awesome. Good movie about a writer trying to find the magic he had in his first novel. Really like the story lines and the twists that happen throughout the flick.

And I saw Wild with Reese Witherspoon on my flight back from Puerto Rico Saturday night.

Booooooooo!!!!! I just really hate "coming to age" and "find yourself" type movies. So boring. If you like them, check it out I guess but I would have shut it off if I weren't on a flight.

You are in for a treat. Let me know what you thought of it.

saw it last night.   sooooo ironic on a snowy day in March that the opening narration is about global warming and then geo-engineering and then everybody is frozen to death, LOL

the first act there were some cool moments, but I was a little like waiting for teh awesome

the second act was way to violent for me, I just don't have the stomach for that anymore

the third act saved it.  I had so many questions, and they were all answered.  The monologue by curtis at the final gate was chilling.  the line about the babies literally made my jaw drop !!!

it's funny when I saw the giant W at the final gate I smelled a willy wonka moment, like maybe this was all a test to see who would take over the train

when curtis looks into the vat where they make the protein cubes I was totally expecting a soylent green moment.  they saved that for the end...

over all a thumbs up, but the narrative mis-direction about the cold was a little annoying.  the guy puts his arm out the hole and it freezes solid, but its actually warmiing up out there ?  huh ?

saw it last night.   sooooo ironic on a snowy day in March that the opening narration is about global warming and then geo-engineering and then everybody is frozen to death, LOL

the first act there were some cool moments, but I was a little like waiting for teh awesome

the second act was way to violent for me, I just don't have the stomach for that anymore

the third act saved it.  I had so many questions, and they were all answered.  The monologue by curtis at the final gate was chilling.  the line about the babies literally made my jaw drop !!!

it's funny when I saw the giant W at the final gate I smelled a willy wonka moment, like maybe this was all a test to see who would take over the train

when curtis looks into the vat where they make the protein cubes I was totally expecting a soylent green moment.  they saved that for the end...

over all a thumbs up, but the narrative mis-direction about the cold was a little annoying.  the guy puts his arm out the hole and it freezes solid, but its actually warmiing up out there ?  huh ?

Been debated ad nauseam. Billion different reasons that could happen. Seasons could be back into play around the globe. Maybe they're at a different altitude when that happens. Not to mention going really fast which means wind chill would speed up the rate. Also the notion that it it could still be below freezing yet warm enough for them not to die outside.

Been debated ad nauseam. Billion different reasons that could happen. Seasons could be back into play around the globe. Maybe they're at a different altitude when that happens. Not to mention going really fast which means wind chill would speed up the rate. Also the notion that it it could still be below freezing yet warm enough for them not to die outside.

they mentioned the altitude, so maybe that....

I also remember thinking to myself multiple times, "why did they treat the back-enders so poorly ?  it's like they were asking for a revolution....duh"

and then the ending I was like  "oooooooooooooohhhh"

Yeah, I'm a Kubrick junkie but those guys take it to a whole other level. After about 45 minutes you're eventually just yelling at the TV "OH COME ON!!"

After like 20 minutes when the subliminal message guy comes on and says they paper tray is an erection is where I lost it. 

After like 20 minutes when the subliminal message guy comes on and says they paper tray is an erection is where I lost it. 

I'll be honest, I've read so much about Kubruck, what that dude proposes about the boner really isn't that outrageous. The thing about Kubrick, what makes him Kubrick, is that every millisecond of every shot is 100% on purpose. This is especially true for everything he made from 2001 to Eyes Wide Shut. There is no prop or piece of furniture that's ever just there. Granted, the boner thing is a little extreme, but when you start learning about Kubrick's processes...I'm just saying I can see where that guy got the idea.

Goodfellas gets rerun because it's the greatest movie ever. Aliens gets rerun because dudes who drank Beast at their frat houses in the 80s need to relive their glory days.

Because we all know frat boys in the 80's would be obsessed with the original feminist action hero. That's right up there alley.

And I saw Wild with Reese Witherspoon on my flight back from Puerto Rico Saturday night.

Booooooooo!!!!! I just really hate "coming to age" and "find yourself" type movies. So boring. If you like them, check it out I guess but I would have shut it off if I weren't on a flight.

Reese Witherspoon is annoying and most of her movies are horrible. She has a great set of legs though.