Movies We've Seen Thread

Black Mass, is very, very good. I normally can't stand Depp but he really nailed Bulger down. There are a bunch of times where the story should feel generic, but it doesn't because of Depp.

Johnny Depp is one of our great American actors if this is even a fraction as good as Donnie Brasco it should be awesome.

• Upvote 1

A line that I actually said tonight when it was suggested that we rent Furious 7:

"I dunno, I haven't seen The Fast and the Furious 5 or 6. I don't think I would be able to keep up."

lemme guess the plot was... a criminal organization is wreaking havoc and [insert secret govt organization] enlists the help of a bunch of 38 year old losers who drive muscle cars all day long because somehow they are the only people who can stop them?

Get Shorty. First time watching it in years and I forgot how much I loved it, such a fun movie. 

He's a stuntman!

That was Rio Bravo.  Robert Mitchum played the drunk in El Dorado.  Dean Martin played the drunk in Rio Bravo.  Now John Wayne he played the same part in both of them.  He played John Wayne. 

Man, I can't wait for you to be dead.

I had a hippie dippy friend who hated it.  Said the best line in the whole movie was "Take me to the ******* airport"

Edited by #27TheDominator

He's a stuntman!

That was Rio Bravo.  Robert Mitchum played the drunk in El Dorado.  Dean Martin played the drunk in Rio Bravo.  Now John Wayne he played the same part in both of them.  He played John Wayne. 

Man, I can't wait for you to be dead.

I had a hippie dippy friend who hated it.  Said the best line in the whole movie was "Take me to the ******* airport"

"So you're a stuntman huh? You any good" *Grabs him by the balls and throws him down the stairs* "Not bad for a guy his size."

The entire movie is great, just an awesome cast. Also, I swear to god Rene Russo was in every single movie ever in the 90s. 

"So you're a stuntman huh? You any good" *Grabs him by the balls and throws him down the stairs* "Not bad for a guy his size."

The entire movie is great, just an awesome cast. Also, I swear to god Rene Russo was in every single movie ever in the 90s. 

Yeah.  The line that gets me is after He throws Tony Soprano down the stairs then he goes back up to Popeye Doyle and Rene Russo and like a little kid, all impressed he says:  "He's a stuntman."

Get Shorty. First time watching it in years and I forgot how much I loved it, such a fun movie. 

Really?  That was the first movie I ever walked out of....ten minutes in.  Maybe I'll give it another shot...that was a long time ago.

Exodus: Gods and Kings.

1. The title. Why Ridley why.

2. There are some very cool scenes, notably the ten plagues, but the ridiculousness of the casting makes it impossible to suspend disbelief. It's one thing for Scott to claim that he couldn't have financed the movie if he didn't cast white people, but it's another to try and pass Spud from Trainspotting off as an Egyptian.

3. You can tell Scott had good intentions and the movie made sense in his head before and during filming, but what I don't understand why he bothered. He's made so many better movies dealing with the concept of gods and just deities in general. The fact that he went to the most obvious story of all comes off as kind of a cop-out. The sad part is that it's shot amazingly well and you can tell that a lot of people put a lot of time into the movie, it's a shame it missed so badly. Between this and Robin Hood I think it's time he give up on trying to tell the classical mythos stories, it's just not his thing.

Exodus: Gods and Kings.

1. The title. Why Ridley why.

2. There are some very cool scenes, notably the ten plagues, but the ridiculousness of the casting makes it impossible to suspend disbelief. It's one thing for Scott to claim that he couldn't have financed the movie if he didn't cast white people, but it's another to try and pass Spud from Trainspotting off as an Egyptian.

3. You can tell Scott had good intentions and the movie made sense in his head before and during filming, but what I don't understand why he bothered. He's made so many better movies dealing with the concept of gods and just deities in general. The fact that he went to the most obvious story of all comes off as kind of a cop-out. The sad part is that it's shot amazingly well and you can tell that a lot of people put a lot of time into the movie, it's a shame it missed so badly. Between this and Robin Hood I think it's time he give up on trying to tell the classical mythos stories, it's just not his thing.

1. Studio is trying to get those get those Mel Gibson numbers.

2. Hollywood always casts white people to play Arabs and Mexicans.

3. Scott is actually a very disorganized director Russel Crowe has publicly commented on this and has implied large portions of Gladiator were improvised to include even the lead character's name was made up on the spot.  Works sometimes and other times you get an enormous train wreck like that boring a Robin Hood movie.

Black Mass, is very, very good. I normally can't stand Depp but he really nailed Bulger down. There are a bunch of times where the story should feel generic, but it doesn't because of Depp.

Johnny Depp is one of our great American actors if this is even a fraction as good as Donnie Brasco it should be awesome.

My friends analysis of Black Mass was: "Pretty good.  He kills lots of people, but it is no Donnie Brasco.  I found Donnie Brasco to be pretty slow, but I knew the story already.

Really?  That was the first movie I ever walked out of....ten minutes in.  Maybe I'll give it another shot...that was a long time ago.

I came at it from reading the book. I am a pretty big Elmore Leonard fan and that was a pretty good one.  They made a movie of Freaky Deaky, with Christian Slater and Crispin Glover, but I can't imagine it being very good.  That was a cool book. 

I finally caught the Limey.  Interesting, I put it in a category with Sexy Beast.  Very violent guy, but the movie is kind of understated or low-key.   The first scene when he breaks into the warehouse should have come before the credits, but I guess that would make it a bit misleading because it is not particularly action oriented.  Terrance Stamp is pretty good.  My wife found it too slow and couldn't really understand what he was saying. Peter Fonda reminded me of (Kill) Bill and his head security guy Avery reminds me a chatty version of the shotgun guys in the Charger from Bullitt - not your typical thuggish heavy.  I didn't even realize it was Kowalski from Vanishing Point until halfway through.  I think you guys talked about him before, but I'm not a huge Soderbergh fan.  I really liked the way a couple of scenes in this one were filmed though.

Hey how come nobody on the Internet ever mentions David Lean in any of the greatest directors debates? Guy directed Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Dr. Zhivago back to back to back. Then like 20 years later he comes back and does A Passage to India.

Scorsese and Spielberg will go down as the two greatest directors of all time with Kubrick probably right behind them.

Scorsese and Spielberg will go down as the two greatest directors of all time with Kubrick probably right behind them.

They are GIANTS in the film world.  My problem with Marty and Speilberg is that neither guy knows how to edit down their works or get to one ending.  Plus, I'll never forgive Speilberg for "AI".  

Kubrick?  He is my film master, bar none.  A visionary and genius of film technique and storytelling. IMO, there is none better.

Edited by munchmemory

They are GIANTS in the film world.  My problem with Marty and Speilberg is that neither guy knows how to edit down their works or get to one ending.  Plus, I'll never forgive Speilberg for "AI".  

Kubrick?  He is my film master, bar none.  A visionary and genius of film technique and storytelling. IMO, there is none better.

no one is perfect who do you blame for AI?  I blame Kubrick it was his material which was depressing as hell

I don't know if there's a Scorses movie I have ever disliked.  Sure there are some that were just ok but no Lost Worlds 

Edited by drdetroit

Hey how come nobody on the Internet ever mentions David Lean in any of the greatest directors debates? Guy directed Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Dr. Zhivago back to back to back. Then like 20 years later he comes back and does A Passage to India.

"Dr. Zhivago" is remarkable. Also, "Ryan's Daughter" was a tremendous movie about Northern Ireland and Great Britain. Robert Mitchum is very good a remarkably restrained role.  While it's a great ride, "Lawrence of Arabia" has been chipped away at the credibility of  Lawrence's story, but doesn't change the greatness of Lean's movie. 

The Martian is great. Scott took some  liberties with the book but nothing major. Definitely one of the better adaptions I've seen in recent years.

I was eager to hear how this was, as half the book is chemistry and physics formulas and the other half, the half that I loved, is him swearing his ass off, which I wasn't sure how they'd pull off with a PG-13 rating.

I was eager to hear how this was, as half the book is chemistry and physics formulas and the other half, the half that I loved, is him swearing his ass off, which I wasn't sure how they'd pull off with a PG-13 rating.

Scott pulls it off as well as you can. If you go in understanding that there's no way a feature film can capture all of the little things that Watney explains, you'll be good. You realize when the movie is over that if they tried to do and explain everything by the book, the movie would be well over 4 hours.

Damon is getting a lot of credit for his performance, and rightfully so, but Chiwetel Ejiofor deserves some props, he is a such a great Vincent.