Movies We've Seen Thread

Ant Man was pointless. I thought it was lame, and the kids lasted 20 minutes and wandered off. 

Glad I didn't invest $30 into seeing it in the theatre.

people last summer talked about it being the greatest superhero movie ever

All these marvel movies are getting to be the same, origin story, CGI, third act and the lame "teaser" scene at the end of the credits 

• Upvote 1

Is this going to be awesome or terrible? Cant tell.  I want it to be awesome as a Batman fanboy but I'm so nervous about Affleck and just too much going on that I dont know what to think:

The dorky guy that play Lex is a bigger concern to me at this point than Affleck. Every trailer I've seen he comes across as channeling Jim Carrey's riddler, Heath Ledger's Joker, a bit of Spacey in House of Cards, and just a heaping portion of terribleness. Kid is usually alright in his roles, but he feels corny amidst the general tenor of everything else in those trailers. 

• Upvote 1

The dorky guy that play Lex is a bigger concern to me at this point than Affleck. Every trailer I've seen he comes across as channeling Jim Carrey's riddler, Heath Ledger's Joker, a bit of Spacey in House of Cards, and just a heaping portion of terribleness. Kid is usually alright in his roles, but he feels corny amidst the general tenor of everything else in those trailers. 

are you saying Ledger was a terrible Joker and Spacey is terrible on House of Cards?

Edited by Tyler Durden

The Revenant is good, but a little slow. 

Preety sure that that bear did rape Dicaprio. 

I thought it was garbage. My review was appropriately scathing. Do you agree with it?

The pointlessness of the Revenant can be summed up with a line said by Tom Hardy's character, Fitzgerald, in the movie's final scene: "You came all this way just for your revenge, huh? Aint nuttin' gonna bring yer boy back....". The taunt directed at di Caprio's character might as well have been directed at the audience; "You came all this way thinking you'd see a good movie, huh? Aint nuttin' gonna bring your 2 and a half hours back...".

Prior to this wholly predictable clash, our protagonist is a frontiersman, Luke Glass (di Caprio) leading a group of fur trappers in the wild, among them his half-native American son. Their group of 7 narrowly escapes an ambush, taking refuge deep inside the woods, where Glass falls victim to a gruesome grizzly-bear attack (as seen in the trailer). Having barely survived, and rendered immobile, he is cared for by the men - until they feel they can no longer afford to carry him. The leader of the group (Bridger) offers a reward of $300 to the 3 men who volunteer to stay behind and look after him - an obnoxious Texan named Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy), the son, and a weak-willed lackey whose name I can't remember. Fitzgerald's selfishness leads him to kill Glass, an attempt that is thwarted by Glass' son. An annoyed Fitzgerald then kills the resisting son as Glass looks on. Assuming that a badly-injured and immobilized Glass will eventually die on his own, Fitzgerald and the lackey take off...setting up an arduous and nauseatingly boring cat-and-mouse tale of revenge in the Canadian wilderness. 

A movie that starts with high-octane, 100 mph action comes to a screeching halt. The story then proceeds to slowly drag on, as our protagonist Glass, crawls around the dark, snowy Canadian wilderness with a husky voice mirroring that of Christian Bale's Batman. What is supposed to be an action movie then transforms into a cinematic rendition of Bear Grylls' Man vs Wild. We get to watch Glass braving the elements - living off the land, eating raw grass, fish and buffalo intestine - and most shockingly; surviving a snow-storm by gutting a dead horse and sleeping inside the carcass -- much like Bear Grylls did with this camel in the Sahara --> Link. He also rescues an abducted native American girl along the way. Interspersed among the scenes of extreme survival and heroism, are far too many 'dream sequences' featuring his interracial family, and specifically, his deceased native American wife. Glass is no ordinary white man. While the majority of white colonisers were wiping out the natives, this guy somehow pursued a relationship with a native woman and learned the language fluently. It's OK, he is one of the good guys. Glass' thirst for revenge is portrayed as a labor of LOVE, and an opposition to the racist and selfish Fitzgerald.

Glass' many feats of love-fuelled survival - including a surprisingly quick overnight recovery after falling off a cliff - would eventually pay off. He reunites with his group at their base, and they return to convict Fitzgerald of murder, only to discover that the now-endangered Texan robbed the safe and fled. Glass, now shorn of any fear, follows and finds Fitzgerald. They fight by the ravine; where Glass comes very close to killing him, but has an epiphany (in native American language no less) that revenge is best left to be decided by the gods. He magnanimously lets [an already half-dead] Fitzgerald float down the river, only to watch him intercepted by a cavalry of native Americans who mercilessly kill him. The natives spare Glass.

Ultimately, this was an epiphany that arrived 2 hours too late - if revenge was best left to be decided by the gods - why couldn't this have occurred to Glass earlier? It would have spared him a great deal of grief and difficulty. In this case, his revenge was a by-product of his love, but the catalyst for his survival. So was it worth it? Maybe it was? Is he already dead at this point? Who knows. This movie is so unnecessarily long and predictably boring, that one doesn't even care in end. Don't waste your money, it aint worth it. if you have $15 burning a hole in your pocket, you can order 2 large, three-topping pies from Dominos...now THAT is worth it.

Hateful Eight was borderline spectacular.  Samuel L. Jackson and Tim Roth were brilliant.  Honestly, this was Samuel L. Jackson at his best.  Three hours felt like 90 minutes.

Daddy's Home was decent for a few good laughs.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens gets substantially better with each viewing in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Dark Knight Returns Part I and II just got thrown up on HBO. Would highly recommend it, fantastic animated version of the greatest comics. It's one of DC's best animated films ever and that's saying a lot. Uber violent with a great soundtrack.

Loved those.

If you didn't see it before, The Red Hood is also really good.  (We have really similar movie tastes)

Loved those.

If you didn't see it before, The Red Hood is also really good.  (We have really similar movie tastes)

Yeah, we definitely do. I saw they threw Year One up too, haven't seen that one in a while. DC Animated films are definitely the best of the best. If you're counting animation I think Flashpoint Paradox belongs up with any of the greatest comic movies ever.

Yeah, we definitely do. I saw they threw Year One up too, haven't seen that one in a while. DC Animated films are definitely the best of the best. If you're counting animation I think Flashpoint Paradox belongs up with any of the greatest comic movies ever.

I buy them all for the "kids" (not me, oh no).  

There's a new one, Super Man is Zod's kid, Batman is Man Bat who get turned into a vampire.   Was also really good.  It's funny, Marvel movies kill DC, but DC makes great animated ones.

I buy them all for the "kids" (not me, oh no).  

There's a new one, Super Man is Zod's kid, Batman is Man Bat who get turned into a vampire.   Was also really good.  It's funny, Marvel movies kill DC, but DC makes great animated ones.

It's usually been that way in the comics too. Marvel has outsold DC since the 60s, but DC has mostly had the more landmark stuff. DC has tended to be willing to take more risks with their writing and artists, which tends to turn people away sometimes. I find that gets reflected with their movie studios to a considerable degree too. The good news it they all make a lot of money, so there's not a ton of incentive for one to be more like the other. I think the reason they're so good with their animated stuff is the risk isn't there with cost, so they can just go all out. For instance, they're doing a version of The Killing Joke and it's going to be rated R, you'd never see that with a studio flick from DC.

Worth noting though that Daredevil and Jessica Jones were the first times I ever saw Marvel willing to take some risks on screen. I'm giddy with the way they've gone with the Netflix stuff.

How was it?

I had a blast. It was a cinematic experience. Like most Tarentino movies it has strong dialogue, dark humor, bloody violence and great performances. Particularly from Samuel L Jackson, Walter Goggins, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

I don't get the mixed reviews. If you like Tarentino, which I really do, than I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy the heck out of this movie.

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Upvote 1

I had a blast. It was a cinematic experience. Like most Tarentino movies it has strong dialogue, dark humor, bloody violence and great performances. Particularly from Samuel L Jackson, Walter Goggins, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

I don't get the mixed reviews. If you like Tarentino, which I really do, than I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy the heck out of this movie.

I can get if people don't like the violence or his language.   But he writes the best dialogue out there, it really is amazing.  He's the only director who realizes that not EVERY SINGLE WORD SPOKEN has to be about furthering the plot.

Synchronicity is one heck of a low budget scifi effort. Goofy, but there's enough Blade Runner in it to keep the viewer engaged. I would certainly not put it up with some of the more recent low budget classics by Shane Carruth or Alex Garland, but it's an incredibly well-crafted visual piece. With the right script I think Jacob Gentry could make something very special, he's had two solid efforts so far between this and The Signal. Pulling this stuff off at the cost that he's able to is no easy feat.

The revenant. 

Was pretty good and you can't go wrong with Leo,  Tom hardy is really becoming a really good actor too.  Good story and good acting. 

Concussion

Was surprisingly good too. Not much of a will smith fan but the movie wasn't bad at all. If you watch the frontline special about the NFL it basically fills in the blanks.

Edited by rillo

Saw The Hateful Eight. If you like Tarantino, it's good, but how much you enjoy it depends on your level of Samuel L Jackson Encounters The N Word fatigue. Lacks the nuance and charm of Basterds or even Reservoir Dogs. 

Edited by T0mShane

The Revenant

SPOILER WARNING.

Was very enjoyable. Probably one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen. The filming is almost virtual reality or GoPro experience. The camera work on the opening scene in the woods was phenomenal. The bear scene was ridiculously realistic. Despite how few words he spoke, I don't see how Leo doesn't win the Oscar this year. He communicates suffering and the will to live in every gesture. The fact he holds most of this film on the strength of his eyes makes it all that much more impressive. He was put through the ringer making it. Tom Hardy was also exceptional.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Just watched Southpaw, and wow... just, I don't even know, I felt like they got a legit cast together to make the type of movie that panders to the white trash hardass... complete with insufferable Eminem music. I can't believe this was James Horner's last work... what a shame.

Most interesting character was Whitaker and they barely scratched the surface on his complexity, opting instead for a goofy ride through some of the most superficial mellowdrama I've ever seen.

Saw The Hateful Eight. If you like Tarantino, it's good, but how much you enjoy it depends on your level of Samuel L Jackson Encounters The N Word fatigue. Lacks the nuance and charm of Basterds or even Reservoir Dogs. 

Most overplayed thing in Hollywood right now... and that's saying a lot. I'm actually astonished that he's still willing to do this as part of his roles... and I'm surprised Tarantino still gets a kick out of himself for asking for it so much.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie... but yea, not surprised that Tarantino is going back to the well on this.

Saw "13 Hours". Fits very much in "American Sniper"/"Blackhawk Down"  mold. I will leave the politics out of it, except to say we are one effed up country in how or why do anything. 
Also saw "Black Mass"-okay. Johnny Depp's blue contacts get  a bit distracting but  a decent watch. 

Just watched Southpaw, and wow... just, I don't even know, I felt like they got a legit cast together to make the type of movie that panders to the white trash hardass... complete with insufferable Eminem music. I can't believe this was James Horner's last work... what a shame.

Most interesting character was Whitaker and they barely scratched the surface on his complexity, opting instead for a goofy ride through some of the most superficial mellowdrama I've ever seen.

It was so cliche it was disgusting.  Like every boxing movie tied together to form one gigantic pile of sh*t.